Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I find this very unlikely

I'm still waiting for mass-market carbon fibre like tech heads have been saying is coming for the past 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CF is cheaper than it's ever been, and forged CFRP from chopped pieces instead of woven is probably going to be cheaper long-term, but autoclaves are expensive and slow.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I mean, wasn't 'egg the first to do carbon fiber wheels? And now they're like a $10K option on a Mustang.

They 3D print titanium exhausts too.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
CF is crazy cheap if you just include fake CF looking stickers you put over plastic. Think of the speed boost from weight savings on these creaky dashboard components!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

They're doing the actually important stuff like making more efficient and reliable engines. It's not flashy and made for a couple of billionaires, but it's way more impactful and helpful.

Honestly a lot of the 'innovation' the big automakers is doing (outside of EV development stuff) is process-related, not design-related. They're streamlining their manufacturing processes and inventory control processes and vendors and stuff. It's really interesting if you're into that kind of stuff.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Nah bro, this is ai. We want fast car go vroom vroom.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sab669 posted:

Yea I mean, wasn't 'egg the first to do carbon fiber wheels? And now they're like a $10K option on a Mustang.

They 3D print titanium exhausts too.

citroen did CF wheels in like 1974

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Why would you get a 4 door hatch and delete the loving rear seats

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Infinotize posted:

Hopefully to make room for the V8 you're stuffing back there.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Infinotize posted:

Because you want a shooting brake?

You would rather have the ability to transport tires rather than passengers?

Weight savings and insurance savings all in one?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Infinotize posted:

I know I'm an edge case, but I haven't driven hatches/now a wagon for 6+ years because I need to transport people.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I know I'm an edge case, but I haven't driven hatches/now a wagon for 6+ years because I need to transport people.

I feel bad for the people you made sit in the back of the FoRS.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lol the Morizo puts a huge brace across where the seats would go so there's like zero incremental utility

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Nah bro, this is ai. We want fast car go vroom vroom.

I mean cars are also faster to an almost hilarious degree compared to 20 years ago as well so it seems to be win-win (except the size and weight thing, but that's the price you pay for not dying so easily I guess).

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

Because you want a shooting brake?

You would rather have the ability to transport tires rather than passengers?

Weight savings and insurance savings all in one?

The shape of the car isn’t changing. You’re not gonna put tires in it any more than rear seats folded down. And lol insurance isn’t going to change either. Also that package is $7k extra.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
speaking of insurance holy poo poo my 22 brz has insane rates, even though its a leisure car and not my daily driver

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol the Morizo puts a huge brace across where the seats would go so there's like zero incremental utility

I feel like I could still fit my dogs / at least 1 crash pad back there. But the mixed-height surfaces is weird. That brace closer to the rear definitely makes it awkward though :v:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BraveUlysses posted:

speaking of insurance holy poo poo my 22 brz has insane rates, even though its a leisure car and not my daily driver

Look at the crash statistics, BRZs are owned mostly by morons and you're paying the tax for that.

I don't think it sold in enough volume to make this set of statistics, but if you crawl around you'll find interesting things like the hatchback version of cars having less than half the death rate of sedans: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-death-rates-by-make-and-model. The confidence limits don't even overlap for some models.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

no lube so what posted:

GR corolla pricing is out

Core 37k

Circuit 44k

Morizo 51k

It’s blowing my mind that the collective response to this has been “hey that’s pretty cheap!”

Things are so goddamned expensive now. I cannot wrap my head around buying a $40-45k car with a 3-cylinder engine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

The insurance isn't bad on either of mine for whatever reason, odd part is the 2015 is more expensive to insure than the 2016.

I'm moving to Grundy.

no lube so what posted:

GR corolla pricing is out

Core 37k

Circuit 44k

Morizo 51k

I still can't believe they're undercutting the CTR

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 6, 2022

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

It’s blowing my mind that the collective response to this has been “hey that’s pretty cheap!”

Things are so goddamned expensive now. I cannot wrap my head around buying a $40-45k car with a 3-cylinder engine.

The Corolla GR pricing is in line with the super sport compact segment.

The US wrinkle is that you can get "more" car for similar money (Mustang GT, new Z, V6TT Stinger GT), but people interested in the super sport compacts are generally only interested in the super sport compacts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

do you normally pay per cylinder or what

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Significantly cheaper than the Golf R.

And wait until you read about the BMW i8 :v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Godzilla07 posted:

The Corolla GR pricing is in line with the super sport compact segment.

The US wrinkle is that you can get "more" car for similar money (Mustang GT, new Z, V6TT Stinger GT), but people interested in the super sport compacts are generally only interested in the super sport compacts.

I guess thats the same or similar to the "small" truck market. You can get a lot more of a fullsized dodge, gm, or ford for similar money or cheaper than you can get a Tacoma, Frontier or whatever.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I feel like I could still fit my dogs / at least 1 crash pad back there. But the mixed-height surfaces is weird. That brace closer to the rear definitely makes it awkward though :v:

has to be a way to configure that brace so it can be lowered onto rear passenger laps like a rollercoaster restraint bar

fiberglass mold seats for weight savings

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Trunk looks loving tiny

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Trunk looks loving tiny

yeah no kidding

imo the biggest fault with the corolla hatch is that the bumper sticks out too far and that the hatch area isnt quite big enough. should be closer to golf/gti dimensions and look to be perfect

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Trunk looks loving tiny

Yeah; the consensus seems to be that the Corolla sedan is more practical with more rear leg room and more practical cargo space. Having lived with an base Impreza hatchback (and finding that it's right at the limit for taking road trips with 3 people) and a Forester XT, I'm frankly hesitant to upgrade to the Corolla GR to lose so much practicality. Am I crazy for wanting Toyota to make a Corolla Cross GR?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Matrix superiority.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Edward IV posted:

Am I crazy for wanting Toyota to make a Corolla Cross GR?

Yes, obviously correct answer is GR Corolla Estate-

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do you normally pay per cylinder or what

That’s a great idea.

Used E90 M3 is still my dollar per cylinder champ. Exige and Alfa are neck and neck for worst value per cylinder.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah no kidding

imo the biggest fault with the corolla hatch is that the bumper sticks out too far and that the hatch area isnt quite big enough. should be closer to golf/gti dimensions and look to be perfect

The biggest fault is that it is bloated compromise, unlike the real deal the is the GR Yaris.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Yes, obviously correct answer is GR Corolla Estate-

i wanted a Focus ST wagon real bad

also the Golf R wagon

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i wanted a Focus ST wagon real bad

also the Golf R wagon

They're bringing over the M5 wagon. I know it's not anywhere near the same market but I'm looking forward to all the people who swore they'd buy one suddenly becoming very quiet.

Everyone who actually would already bought a Panamera

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

They're bringing over the M5 wagon. I know it's not anywhere near the same market but I'm looking forward to all the people who swore they'd buy one suddenly becoming very quiet.

Everyone who actually would already bought a Panamera

are they really? i could consider it

edit: i don't think i would get it over a taycan though

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are they really? i could consider it

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-2024-bmw-m5-touring-is-reportedly-coming-to-the-us-194895.html

You will soon be able to buy 4 different German V8 wagons, so nobody is allowed to complain about it anymore.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Keyser_Soze posted:

Matrix superiority.

You’re not fooling anyone, that’s a Pontiac Vibe

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm #1 on the list for a GR Corolla at my local no-markup dealership. Crossing my fingers that one of the ones they get allocated matches my preferences.

I will take the compromised rear seats and hatch space because anything is better than my Fiesta ST.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 6, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-2024-bmw-m5-touring-is-reportedly-coming-to-the-us-194895.html

You will soon be able to buy 4 different German V8 wagons, so nobody is allowed to complain about it anymore.

it would be cool if I could buy like a 80k german wagon with a stick

also brown etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it would be cool if I could buy like a 80k german wagon with a stick

also brown etc

Go back in time to anywhere between 2009 and 2013 and Porsche will sell you this exact thing. In brown. With your choice of V6 or V8. RWD only.

Nobody bought them and only 150 were made