Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Why would we know that saving Atlantean citizens changes the timeline, anyway? It's not like anyone has any records of exactly who died and who went missing during its fall. Maybe they always disappeared into the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update XX - Featuring: Breaking and entering

Music: UE77 Tokyo

Music: Cladeon - An Undersea Shimmer

To the Star Crystal!

Lookout Girl: Yes, I know... I need to help however I can... Just please, take care of him...

But first, this lady who wasn't here before.

No. Admiral Yoritomo and I will not be joining you. We shall pursue another course of action.

ISDF forces will undertake the collection of Dz in order to construct necessary facilities.

Dz...? Construction? What the hell are you talking about?

Chief Toglau: What...?

Hey... You serious!?

Yep, the lion's share of work for saving an entire civilization is going to be done offscreen by the ISDF.

Doing it ourselves would take away from valuable god slaying time, after all.

Chief Toglau: Your efforts are appreciated, but to leave this hallowed home for a world of land...

Novice Smith Cub: I-I wanna go! I don't want the forging lineage to end with me!

Lookout Girl: Me too... I don't wanna die, Chief!

Chief Toglau: But...

Most of the Star Crystals are gone. Atlantis is done for even if we can beat that drat dragon... I honestly hadn't even thought about what happens once we kill Nyala...

*nods*

Suicide is not the only path. Let your people know that we will rescue anyone who desires it.

Novice Smith Cub: Chief!

Lookout Girl: Chief...!

The Chief bows her head for a few seconds.

Chief Toglau: I shall issue a notice to the citizens of Cladeon.

Thank you for cooperating.

Unit 13, please head to the Royal Palace. Speak with Consul Tallieri and obtain the Dragonslayer. We will stay behind and focus on gathering Dz for the construction.

I'll take you over to the palace. Lemme know when you wanna go.

*nods*

Militia: Yes, Sir!

*chuckle* I'll be counting on you!

Now, you'd think the people of Cladeon being told that they have an option other than dying would change up what they have to say.

You good to go?

But everyone still has the same lines, so we might as well head out.

Yup!

Then let's get a move on!

Strangely, Eigur doesn't take us directly to the palace, instead sending us to the normal map screen.

At a whopping 30 dragons, Berg Sea Palace will be our biggest dungeon yet.

...It's probably a bad sign when the queen of the city is sitting on the biggest dragon nest in the land.

Music: Berg - Ultimate Sea Palace

So did we actually use the portal to get here, or does Cladeon have some kind of teleporter tucked away in the back?

The upper-class snobs from around here would always look down on us lower-class people... Even people like my dad, who poured his blood, sweat, and tears into his work down in the mines...

Oh my, the standard Fantasy Class Divide. Will it become an issue as we drag the nobility and the commoners alike to Nodens?

For whatever reason, a save spot sound played as soon as I got control, despite being nowhere near a save point.

A quick run back to get a better look at Berg.

It certainly looks pretty!

Atlantis Soldier: S—Squadron Head Eigur!?

You know them?

Yeah, I was in a squad with 'em back when I was in the Royal Knights.

~

Squadron Head?

Yeah, that's what they used to call me back when I was a Royal Knight. I quit ages ago, though.

~~

Hey, I've got a small favor to ask. Think you guys could lend me a hand?

Atlantis Soldier: By all means, Sir!

I owe you guys. Anyways, think you could get us a meeting with Consul Tallieri?

Atlantis Soldier: But the consul is busy preparing for the ritual...

Ritual...? What ritual?

So, it has been established that time in Atlantis and time in Tokyo is roughly in sync with each other.

It has also been established that we cannot go back any further without creating an alternate timeline. Why that matters when our original goal here was to snag a sample from Nyala will never get explained, but let's just assume that this would completely crater the whole True Dragon Chronicle thing.

This means that, had Opal decided to delay going to Seventh Encount by a few days, Tallieri's plan would have gone through, destroying Atlantis and crippling Nyala.

We came down to the wire on getting this done, and we have a time machine.

What!? We're already blowing up the Star Crystals!? Nobody told us about that!

Atlantis Soldier: The consul had mentioned that an official notice would be unnecessary... Once Dragonsbane has engulfed the capital, there will be no chance of defeating Nyala. And so, the consul concluded that we could waste no time in destroying the Star Crystals.

And the man couldn't even spare a messenger or two to even try to warn the people about their imminent demise. What a dick!

That bastard...! He's lost his goddamn mind!

Atlantis Soldier: Y-Yes, Sir! Right away!

Tallieri! Is it true that you're gonna start destroying the Star Crystals!?

And you're not even gonna tell your citizens first? Do our lives mean nothing to you!?

There is nothing to tell. The Atlantis people are already of one heart.

Grr... I can't stand you! You can't just make these decisions on your own!

Say what you will. I am doing what I must... for the sake of this kingdom.

How can you say that!? All you're doing is betraying your citizens!

*shakes head*

Look Tallieri, I'm not here to fight with you. Please, just hand over the Dragonslayer!

Eigur... What do you plan on doing...?

Just as I thought... You fool. Have I not told you to learn your place in this world?

*shakes head*

I don't think you get it. I'm not gonna wield the Dragonslayer... Opal will.

You seem to be more of a fool than I had estimated. Letting a foreigner wield the Dragonslayer? Even King Utrello failed to control its supposed power. How will a mere foreigner manage?

I mean technically speaking a foreigner taught you how to make the drat thing in the first place. Also you explicitly skipped a step in forging it, so you can't really complain that it didn't work.

Just listen to me! I know it's hard to believe, but I'm sure that Opal can do it! This is exactly what King Utrello had mentioned! The hero we need... is Opal!

And Eigur gives no real evidence to back us up, like how we took down a High Dragon with just six people or how we strolled in and offered a way for everyone to live.

From Tallieri's perspective, Eigur just strolled up with some random nobodies who tried to fiddle with a Star Crystal a few days ago and started yelling about them being capable of killing the dragon that brought Atlantis to the brink.

So he shakes his head, understandably.

...Preposterous.

The power of the Dragonslayer is naught but superstition. It will not help you against Nyala. If only I had expressed my doubts to King Utrello... he would not have perished. To make up for that grievous error, I will defeat Nyala... without the Dragonslayer's help!

We can't just wait around here. If he starts the ritual, the whole kingdom's done for. Oh yeah, let's look for Ulania! The Star Crystals are ultimately her responsibility, after all. We're just gonna have to sneak into the palace and convince her before the ritual!

*nods*

We will not be splitting up. Seriously, the one place we have access to is a long corridor.

Atlantis Soldier: H-However, I do not have the power to change the rules! Please forgive me...

~

Atlantis Soldier: My apologies. I cannot let you in without proper approval from Consul Tallieri.

The door is locked, as you might expect.

The solution?

Like five seconds away.

Eigur you are terrible at this.

This'll definitely get us in. It's gonna be a pain... but we don't have much choice. We've gotta find Ulania and stop that ritual at all costs. C'mon, follow me. I'll lead the way.

Wait, so has there always been this damaged floor here?

Music: Ladyin - Sacred Tranquility

You know a lot about the palace.

Yeah, I guess so.

~

How do you know about this path?

I guess I can't blame you for wondering...

~~

Well, my dad was a blacksmith for the Royal Family, so I lived in the palace when I was a kid. Me and Ulania are the same age, so we played together a lot... and explored all over the palace. This is one of the places we found back in the day. My dad got so mad at me when he found out...

*shakes head*

But who cares about my story? C'mon, let's just go and find Ulania already!

*nods*

...you know, Tallieri pushing ahead with the suicide plan sounds a lot more reasonable when you consider the fact that there are dragons in the basement of the royal palace.

Gameplay-wise, uh...

Hope you like corridors and straight lines!

Hey there, first victim of the daydragon!

poo poo.

I have got to stop running away in a panic when this happens.

You can't tell, but the dragon is in a state of constant anger and is trying to phase through the wall in order to get to me.

Seriously why are all the dragons so angry.

Music: Battlefield - Furious Predator

Let's deal with it properly, this time.

Aaaaaaaaaand we already have palette swapped dragons.

Opal actually maxed out Jab near the end of Cladeon, but she hasn't had a chance to use it until now.

This lets her instantly start landing debuffs, jacking up her utility by a ton.

No one else has actually hit the dragon yet, by the way. The power level in VFD is so high that I can drop a dragon down to half LF with just two attacks.

The Forval Dragon's palette swapped breath attack inflicts Blind, and also hits decently hard.

But then something really odd happens.

See, I gamble on not clearing Blind on Aiden and hope he can land a scapegoat.exe anyways. The damage from that, plus a hit from Yuno and the follow-up TROY proc, would kill the dragon before it could move this turn.

The gamble failed, and Aiden missed.

Yuno lands her hit.

And for whatever reason, the TROY proc leeched MN like it was scapegoat????

Like, this isn't some designed interaction in the skills, the TROYs should never have MN leech. Something about how scapegoat missed caused the MN leech to be delayed until something else from him hit.

But it still leaves me just shy of killing it, making me take a few extra hits.

It doesn't last another turn.

Down the path that dragon was guarding...

Is loot.

Like how Cladeon started with enemies from Atlantica, Berg starts with late enemies from Cladeon.

Down the western path on the first split...

Is a door.

Also our first Gold Rabi.

They like to run away, so you have to kill them quick.

Doing so nets you a good chunk of change.

Much like any self-respecting JRPG player, I'll leave any doors till last.

South of the split is another dragon.

It was another Forval. Yawn.

The dragon was guarding another split path.

Unmotivated Girl: *sniffle* Why isn't anyone coming? Is there somebody there? Anybody...? The monsters are gonna eat me at this rate...

Down the left path is our first civilian.

Although, why are there random people hanging around the dragon-infested basement?

Next time: Boy, I sure hope you like corridors!

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 13, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Rune Knight: The only time you don't take the Chicken Knife.

The first of the Atlantis classes, the Rune Knight's intended design is to trade out some of the raw power and buff/debuff support of a God Hand for elemental hits and dedicated tanking potential.

However, the devs saw fit to give a Rune Knight some of the strongest attacks in the game.

Stats

To go along with that, the Rune Knight loses a tiny bit of LF compared to the God Hand and identical SPD, but has the highest DEF and MDF of any class in the game. Their MN and MAT are both middling, but they have answers to both of those issues.

Tier 1 Skills

Ice Sword

Hits one enemy with melee MAT-based ice damage and a chance to inflict Freeze.

Ice Sword is cheap, the infliction rate on it is nuts for an initial skill, and the Freeze hits like a truck. The added SPD cut on Freeze also lets the Rune Knight get their moves off before a threatening enemy once it sticks.

Lightning Sword

Hits one enemy with melee MAT-based lightning damage and a chance to inflict Paralysis.

However, Ice Sword has to compete with this. More damage, a longer Paralysis duration, and a 60% chance to cancel someone's turn makes this a clear winner for a Rune Knight's starting damage option. Sure, it costs double the MN, but you also just got Fortuners, and they come with MN restoration by default!

Provoke

Increases the chances for the Rune Knight to be targeted by attacks.

In exchange for a slight reduction from Ambush Stance's target rate and not getting any counters, the Rune Knight can instead do whatever the hell they want without worrying about enemy aggro. Toss an item, smack an enemy, look pensively at the endless expanse of the ocean floor. It doesn't matter, as everything will still be hitting them.

Knight's Grace

User heals the party.

Sort of a counterpart to God Hand's Chiropractic, Knight's Grace trades in the free priority for the ability to heal the party.

Shame that a Heal Aloe II matches the base heal of this skill at max level.

Skip.

Aura Shield

Increases the party's MDF.

A boost to MDF is a bit more niche than God Hand's combined DEF/MDF buff, but it can be a lifesaver if you know an enemy is loaded on MAT.

Life Oath

Increases the Rune Knight's current and maximum LF. LF cannot exceed 500.

A handy way to make the already tanky Rune Knight even tankier. A few of their skills key off of max LF, so this is an effortless way to boost those up.

Substitute

This turn, the Rune Knight has increased DEF/MDF and all single target attacks have a chance to be redirected to the Rune Knight. Redirected attacks are still treated as having hit their intended target, causing counters to still go off if available.

Now, at a glance this skill looks like a sidegrade to Ambush Stance, having more defense instead of dealing counters. But take a close look at the word 'redirected.'

See, the catch to aggro boosters is that they only work if an enemy is specifically aiming at a random person. If they instead aim at, say, the party member with the highest LF, they will always go for that person, regardless of if someone else with less LF has +50% target rate or +50000000%.

Substitute sidesteps all that, as it instead takes the hit for whoever got targeted. And as counters tend to go off when targeted, any counters on the original target will go off like normal.

And as a bonus, each hit on a multi-hit attack counts as a single target attack, letting a Rune Knight tank every hit!

Vital Protection

At the start of combat, the Rune Knight has a chance to buff the party's MDF.

It eats your start of battle AUTO, and only gives a slight increase over Aura Shield. Skip.

Tier 2 Skills

Drain Sword

Hits one enemy with melee MAT-based damage and heals the Rune Knight's LF based on damage dealt.

Yep, the Rune Knight gets their own mini-Drill Crawler to help keep them standing. The damage takes a bit of a hit, but the LF leech is increased to compensate and has no usage restrictions compared to Drill Crawler.

Aspir Sword

Hits one enemy with melee MAT-based damage and restores the Rune Knight's MN based on damage dealt.

And if Drain Sword runs you dry, you can just follow up with this to fill back up!

Ice Enchant

Changes damage type of party's normal attacks to ice. Skill damage is unaffected, but is still treated as ice for Agent's TROY: Ice.

Do you have an Agent with your Rune Knight? This lets everyone set off TROY:Ice and add in a hefty chunk of damage. Otherwise this skill is useless.

Lightning Enchant

Changes damage type of party's normal attacks to lightning.

And this one doesn't even have Agent synergy, making it extra useless!

Vengeful Sword

Hits one enemy with melee MAT-based damage with a chance to inflict Bleed. Damage increases based on how low the Rune Knight's LF is.

Changes from 2020-II: Max damage increased from 15x to 18x. Now inflicts Bleed. Life thresholds changed from 100%-50.1%/50%-30.1%/30%-10.1%/10%-0% to 100%-90%/89.9%-70%/69.9%-40%/39.9%-0%.

I told you Rage Bomber got passed to someone else, didn't I?

Look at it! It hits harder! The HP tiers have been changed from 'suicidal' to 'trivial!' The Rune Knight is going to be taking hits anyways, so getting in range of this takes zero effort. The added Bleed is also a free 300~ damage every time it lands.

This still isn't the best skill they have.

Knight's Wrath

Hits one enemy with melee MAT-based damage. Damage increased based on number of dead allies.

This, on the other hand, is just plain bad. Oh look, 8x damage if you're on the verge of losing! Vengeful Sword hits 7.5x the moment something so much as breathes aggressively on the Rune Knight, so if everyone else is dead just revive them and let the enemy whale on the Rune Knight instead.

Knight's Gaze

Cures status ailments on the party.

Like the Rune Knight's party heal, this is also bad. It doesn't heal all ailments, and never gets priority.

Clench

Applies a buff that keeps the Rune Knight alive with 1 LF if they take a fatal blow. The buff will never wear off naturally. Has priority.

Changes from 2020-II: Can no longer revive with more than 1 LF.

You know, it's funny. On one hand, Destroyers never wanted to level Death's Door past 1 to stay at low LF for Rage Bomber, and Clench is designed to do exactly that. On the other hand, the much more generous LF tiers for Vengeful Sword means that a Rune Knight could have actually used those higher tiers. Grab it, use it when you have a free turn, and laugh as anything that tries to kill the Rune Knight just puts them into Vengeful Sword range.

Toughness React

Places a buff on the Rune Knight that gives them a 60% chance to gain an extra turn if they have less than a certain amount of LF at the end of the turn.

One of the more awkward Reacts to make use of, and also partially sabotaged by Vengeful Sword only needing sub-40% LF, making getting this low rather risky. Clench going off ensures you'll be in range to proc it, but even then you're gambling on a 60% chance.

Tier 3 Skills

Brave Sword

The Rune Knight burns a portion of their LF to deal melee MAT-based damage to one enemy. Base damage is multiplied by (LF Lost * 0.02). This skill cannot kill the Rune Knight.

This.

This right here is true power creep.

Sure, the EX skills are good, but you can only get one shot of them before you have to build EX again. Sure, Samurai has oodles of buffs, but they need several turns to set them up. Sure, Judgement hits everyone, but that needs several turns of setup and breaks if something looks at the Duelist funny. Sure, Sacrifice can end fights instantly, but you still have to deal with the first ~80% of a boss' LF on your own.

Brave Sword is an unconditional attack that the Rune Knight can use on Turn 1 and break someone in half, end of discussion.

If a fight lasts beyond that, you have two choices: You can either have someone heal up the Rune Knight for another Brave Sword, or notice how a max level Brave Sword leaves them in prime Vengeful Sword range and start slamming those out.

Berserk

Places a buff on the Rune Knight that increases their MAT and SPD, but forces them to attack one enemy with melee MAT-based ice damage every turn.

At a glance, Berserk seems bad. Effectively losing your tank for three full turns just to make a few attacks? Doesn't seem nearly good enough to ever use. It turns out that this is one of those skills that really need this kind of under the hood knowledge to make use of.

15x damage puts it only slightly below a maxed Vengeful Sword, but Berserk being backed by a free MAT buff means it can very easily end up outdamaging it!

Granted, it isn't Brave Sword, so it automatically drops down a few ranks in usefulness.

Knight's Pride

When killed by an enemy, the Rune Knight has a 60% chance to attack their killer with melee MAT-based damage. The damage is scaled based on how much LF the Rune Knight lost on that turn. The base damage is multiplied by (LF Lost * 0.05). Dying from Instant Death is treated as losing 0 LF, making the counterattack deal 0x damage.

And if Brave Sword leading into Vengeful Sword wasn't bad enough, now you can come out ahead even if they get sniped after using it! Plus, as the damage is calculated based on how much life is lost that turn, it also counts the self damage on Brave Sword if they die after using it!

The main issue is that it runs counter to Clench, as it going off means the Rune Knight never actually dies to sets Knight's Pride off unless they get killed twice in one turn.

EX Skill

Odin's Rage

Deals melee MAT-based ice damage with a chance to inflict Freeze to one enemy and heals the Rune Knight for a portion of the damage dealt.

Odin's Rage hits hard, sure, but you don't use Odin's Rage for the damage.

You use it for the self-heal to throw out another full damage Brave Sword next turn.

Team Skills

Charge Time: 1 turn

If Provoke wasn't enough. If Vengeful Sword wasn't enough. If Brave Sword wasn't enough. If Knight's Pride wasn't enough. Rune Knights are also the second class with a one turn charge.

Buddy

Deals 1.5x melee ATK-based damage and has a base 100% chance to give the target a 0.8x MDF multiplier for 2 turns.

Granted, it's worse than Agent's Buddy skill, but everything is worse than Agent's Buddy skill.

Support

Increases party's MDF by 1.2x for 1 turn.

Likewise, a one-off MDF buff is also a bit lacking.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 13, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I'm looking forward to the portion of the game where you get to gratuitously abuse Brave Sword as much as possible. That looks like such an asskicking skill.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Do you see why the people that played this game and know about the rest of the series go on about this game's power leapfrog?! Look at this class, holy poo poo! Just look at it! None of this nonsense is in any of the previous games! The most broken stuff in each of the previous games is absolutely loving nothing compared to this!

Starting off they're a bit of an odd duck jack of all trades. They have some healing capabilities but they're not too great at it. Just use items, they're better.

Their status attacks are pretty strong to start off with, and they hand you super strong paralysis this early, which is pretty nuts. Enemies don't really have lightning weaknesses, so that is a slight downside, as only machine type enemies and a few others have those, and there aren't too many of those in the game.

They do live up to their Knight name a bit and come with some defensives to help support your party, which is pretty nice. Provoke and Substitute are similar skills with very different purposes. Provoke is better for letting the Rune Knight do things while the aggro buff is up (and if you want to get them killed, which is a very valid tactic due to certain skills) while Substitute is the actual tanking skill since it provides a very hefty defense increase.

Their tier 2 skills are where they start getting more absurd, and you get those pretty soon after unlocking the Atlantis classes. They're extremely self-sufficient with Drain and Aspir Sword, and you can cycle through them to keep the Rune Knight in tip top condition.

Clench and Toughness React is pretty much meant to combo with their tanking side of things, but it can be pretty awkward to pull off. Clench is nice with Vengeful Sword, as that's just really hard hitting, and far easier to use compared to the Destroyer's version back in the 2020s. Vengeful Sword is their big ticket skill and Clench is a nice safety net to ensure big hits with that.

Then you unlock the tier 3 skills and any remaining bits of balance in the game goes completely out the window due to the monkey brain balancing decisions that goes on here.

I don't even know what the gently caress to say about Brave Sword. It's an on-demand mega nuke that's so trivial to spam. By the way EX works with this! Though that's not really a common thing to see, as even that's considered unnecessary amounts of overkill by players! Spamming it and saving EX for emergency uses or for their EX skill is usually preferred, though if you want to flex on a boss and kill it from turn 1 (Yes, really) go right ahead!

Berserk is also nuts even if you lose control of the Rune Knight, as 15x damage that's boosted by a MAT buff is pretty loving strong! It can hit weaknesses which Brave Sword can't, though Brave Sword can outdamage it anyways.

And then there's loving Knight's Pride if Brave Sword wasn't enough. It's not 100% reliable, but it's reliable enough that quite a few players outright made suicide Rune Knight builds where they would try to get the Rune Knight killed on the same turn they used Brave Sword to basically 2 shot anything in the game with that combo! Goddamn this loving class. Valerie is the true main character indeed!

Odin's Rage is nice but yeah it's basically a glorified "reload" button for Brave Sword if you can't get any other party member to heal up the Rune Knight for whatever reason.

Fun fact, Rune Knight is also the only class in the entire series that can legitimately hit the damage cap of 99,999. Nothing in the games has that much HP, so this probably speaks volumes about how much this class loving bench presses the game.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
Yeah, Rune Knight is stupid and I loving love it. I like the effects on all of its skills, the animations are neat, it's a magic knight style class, and it hits with the force of a bullet train loaded to capacity with concrete.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXI - Featuring: Incredible rewards!*

The other path that dragon was guarding...

Leads to a second door.

That's the left side of this floor mapped out, so we head back to where we came in and head north.

Which has yet another split path immediately after.

Heading north leads to yet another door.

While heading east leads to a dragon and another split.

Long story short, the poison on Aiden's guns went off and killed it.

I head east first.

Hardworking Maid: By the way, this is a bit of an odd question, but do you know the way to the surface?

Why are you cleaning the dragon infested hellhole?

The chest right next to her holds a new weapon. With that name, I'm guessing that it goes on either Valerie or Aria.

Called it!

As you could see on the map, we have yet another split to the south.

Going east leads to a fourth door.

Wait, so we have to head down to find Ulania.

So are her guards killing dragons on the way down, only for more to pour in, or is Queen Ulania, last of the royal bloodline and key to destroying the Star Crystals and saving the world, just sneaking around bloodthirsty dragons?

At least the south path should be the end of it.

And that's the first floor clear.

Now, we can't take the east door, so that leaves us with three other doors to pick from.

Let's take the north door first.

Its a connecting corridor that leads us to B2F.

Not much else to say, really.

Are you a new dragon?

Aww...

South of the dragon is another civilian.

Past the lady is a new weapon for Valerie.

While north of the dragon is more loot.

In the center of the floor is a dragon.

A new type, at that!

Although it still doesn't have much health.

Also it doesn't deal that much damage.

Like the Forval Dragons can deal about this much damage in an AOE.

That's just sad.

From the center, we have three paths.

South leads to a door.

Same with heading north.

But past the northern door are some civilians!

Proud Old Man: O-Oh, don't worry about that! Just a broken foot. No problem! Gwahahaha!

B2F is mirrored, so the western half is the same as the east.

To the north is the last dragon on the floor.

Yawn.

Former Captain: I tried to be the change I wanted to see in the world, but I ended up getting lost instead.

Oh, more rewards!

The other side has some more loot.

And the far left has our fourth door.

Both the western and southern exits lead to B3F.

...which means those other doors on B1F probably had loot behind them.

Well if I'm going to backtrack, I might as well save myself an extra trip back up.

Plus I have some stuff to grab from Nodens anyways.

Music: The Daily Grind

Kino: Oh! You've saved 20 people! As promised, here's your reward! Thanks a lot!

literally five minutes ago posted:

Really, game?

I should probably see if any of the new rescues have settled in.

Now, I haven't mentioned this yet, but that south-eastern exit on the Portal Floor?

That leads to the main lobby. Nodens is keeping their time machine about 30 feet away from the general public.

Our trip to Berg has given us enough Dz to upgrade the shops.

Hey, this is better than those Crummy Energy Bars from earlier! Thanks, Rika!

The shops now have the usual batch of gear upgrades, plus another set of new items.

As you can see by my money count, I've finally had to burn through my starter Az to get everyone outfitted. Having twice the people means I spend twice as much money on gear compared to the 2020s.

I also finally remembered to do that sidequest from earlier.

All the pharmaceutical companies are already out, though. We could try and make it ourselves, but... The main ingredient comes from an animal called the Helm Crab. Not only does it live in ocean depths, it's also endangered. It'll be near-impossible to get.

There is one place...

Hm, you have somewhere in mind?

~

So I can find them in the ocean?

Hold on a second. It's not that easy.

~~

Oh, I see...! That's right! Very clever indeed. The Helm Crab is essentially a living fossil... There must be swarms of them in Atlantis! Unit 13, go retrieve a Digestive Gland from that monster crab at once! Just one will suffice!

Hey what are the odds, I already have one!

So this is a digestive gland... Ugh, it's icky... But now's not the time for that! Wait just a moment. Here you go! All finished! Go give this to Maimai.

It seems strange that a medicine for a modern ailment can be made using a crab from Atlantis. Though I suppose 12,000 years is but a mere pebble in the grand stream of time...

Nurse Maimai: It looks like we won't run out any time soon now. You have my thanks. I even have a special shot for you as a sign of my appreciation... *giggle* Just kidding. Here, this is for you.

You obtained 150 Az!

You obtained Nano-Aid x1.

This sidequest gave more than rescuing 20 people.

No one else from Berg has shown up, so they'll probably appear when we make housing for the Atlantis refugees.

So back in we go!

Next time: We finally get to Ulania.

*Rewards may not actually be incredible.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 9, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXII - Featuring: Poor security

Back on B1F, we know that the northern door leads down, and the eastern door is blocked off.

So we head west first.

...way to rub in that 20 civilian reward, game.

Will the south door have better rewards?

No.

With that taken care of, we can head back to B3F.

Let's check out the south entrance first.

Just past the door is a dragon.

I've settled on Opal chaining Jab into Quartetto for these fights. They just don't last long enough for the debuffs to really matter when I can just blitz them down instead.

If you guessed that the dragon was guarding a four-way intersection, you'd be right!

Future Pop Star: But it looks like I'm just getting in the way... *sniffle*

Sorry lady, maybe in another 11921 years.

Then the left split.

And a dragon in the center of the room.

But Team 2 has picked up some new tricks.

First up is our first mid-battle AUTO skill with Grace of the Sun. The MN heal on it is small right now, but free resources are free resources.

Also, bizarrely, the voice line for this skill mentions Amaterasu. You know, the Japanese sun goddess.

Considering Fortuners and their arts hail from Atlantis, this raises multiple questions about Shintoism is the world of 7th Dragon.

On a more offensive side, Inoue has picked up her synergy with Valerie.

Valerie sets up...

And there she goes!

Even at level 1, Windy Canopy completely outdamages Aerial Slash, and Maple Tear needs at least level 3 to match it, so this will become Inoue's bread and butter damage skill for the next while.

The only downside is that it means she's tied to Valerie's slow SPD, so any enemies will probably end up going first.

One more finishes it off.

Despite being in the middle of the room, the center only has a path to the right.

But it still leads to a split.

To the east is a door and a heal spot! Ulania must be past the door.

So, naturally, everything else takes priority.

Like this dragon!

Which, I would like to point out, is dealing single digit damage to Valerie.

No debuffs or status effects or anything are in play here, Valerie is just that beefy.

It also has Power Charge! That might make it actually hurt!

You know, if I didn't have Buddy skills on hand to dispel it.

Or if it didn't immediately die.

Oh, so the floor is cut in half.

The changes to critical hits make the crit accessories much better. Just one of these would give the user a 20% change to deal 1.5x damage with anything they do.

Alright, time to backtrack to the other door.

But on the plus side...

Aria's Revelations have hit level 3. :getin:

Being able to completely shut down a fight in the first action is exactly as good as it looks.

Just one more dragon and the floor has been cleared out.

And done.

Plus one more east-west split.

The left has some loot and a civilian.

The right has a blocked door and some ingredients.

Now to backtrack back to Ulania's door.

Eeheehee...

Here we are.

After all, her power doesn't exist so she can destroy the kingdom. It exists so she can save it.

*nods*

The time has come for me to go to the lair of Nyala... As the final descendent of the Atlantis Royal Family, I shall fulfill my duty... and—

Wait... Have you been eating properly? You look like you're just skin and bones...

And you are... Eigur!? And the foreigners...!? My apologies, but this is a sacred chamber. We cannot allow outsiders upon these grounds. Please leave immediately, or else I shall summon my guards...

Heh, you can call 'em if you want, but they'll be pretty useless. Those guys are weaker than ever. More importantly...

What guards? We just cleared out three floors and only saw a guy who ended up in over his head.

Seriously, we killed like 10 dragons to get down here, why doesn't the last Queen of Atlantis have guards on hand?

Eigur...?

Please, Ulania! Lend us your strength!

What do you mean...?

Well, it goes like this...

We get a quick fade to black as Eigur explains.

*nods*

That's right! We're gonna fight back against Nyala! So for that we're gonna need the help of your power... The ability to hear the voice of orichalcum.

B-But I have never forged in my life... It will surely be impossible!

This is the only hope we've got! You wanna just give up without even trying?

We are not giving up. We have simply accepted the fate of this kingdom.

Rulers are supposed to protect.

You... are correct. My father Utrello gave his life attempting to defeat Nyala.

~

Do you... want Atlantis to fall?

Of course not!

~~

However... I do not have the power to lead an army into battle. And... Atlantis will be destroyed no matter what we do. The kingdom will fall into the ocean depths. There is no reason to fight a battle with such a small rate of success. There can be no hope.

There's a way to save your people.

What...? You know of a way to help the people of this kingdom?

~

Let's do it, together.

Together...? But how? What can we possibly do to save the people of this kingdom?

~~

*nods*

We're thinking of evacuating the citizens to the country where Opal's from.

To your country...? So... you wish for us to betray our kingdom?

*shakes head*

Not at all! That's what I thought at first, too. But if we can get the citizens out, at least for now, then beat Nyala... Then maybe we could figure out a way to keep Atlantis from—

So us appealing to Ulania directly is kinda obvious, so why didn't Tallieri do anything to try and stop us? Even a single guard posted in front of the door would have done the trick.

What'd you say!?

Outsiders. If we do not manage to stop Nyala here, the whole world will be destroyed. That is one thing we Lucier shall not allow to happen. We will remain with our kingdom... Our fate has already been decided.

Don't you want to live?

You do not understand. The life of the individual is no longer of import. All that matters is that we kill Nyala. Do you truly believe the Dragonslayer is capable of that?

~

We can change fate.

Can you truly guarantee that you will bring Nyala to its grave? If you fail, not only will this kingdom perish, but the entire planet shall be consumed...

Man have you seen our damage numbers? At this point we'll be liable to rip Nyala's wing off ourselves.

~~

Tallieri! We don't know if it's gonna work, but there's no harm in trying! Please, help us! If we can beat Nyala with the Dragonslayer, we won't have to destroy Atlantis!

Eigur...

Let us say Lady Ulania, does agree... What will you do about the orichalcum? You will need an enormous amount to forge the Dragonslayer. No source that large remains.

You're wrong. The Star Crystal in Cladeon is made of pure orichalcum.

But then Cladeon will...

Yeah. Without the Star Crystal, the town'll get overrun with monsters. But if you guys take us to your country, we'll be fine.

~

But then your people will...

It'll be fine as long as you guys take us over to your country. This plan is the best thing we've got.

~~

Please, believe in us! We will succeed!

... I-

Suddenly, a dragon roars!

Music: Endless Attack Cycle

Turns out that letting Ulania hang out in the dragon-infested basement with no guards was a bad idea. Who knew?

Lady Ulania!

H-Help... I—

E-Eigur...

And our mystery dragon is...

This thing!

...how was it floating over the edge in the cutscene when it has no wings?

Anyways, besides this build up and the heal spot just outside...

It ain't a threat.

Even compared to the dragons we fought just to get here, it only has around 200 more LF than an Armanus.

Yuno is also starting to get some new moves!

Summon: Fire IIAitsu hits a fair bit harder than Fire IBattle Footballer, but the real draw is having a single target 2 card move to further pump up X BurnAncient Gear Explosive.

That was a plot dragon, and it still only lasted three rounds.

Music: Finish Them Off

Next time: The budget starts to run thin.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 14, 2023

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

BisbyWorl posted:

Next time: The budget starts to run thin.

See, this is why you needed to tell Yuno to wait for the reprints! A meta deck core means nothing if Nodens can't pay the power bill to keep the time machine on!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXIII - Featuring: The exact same dungeon

What immense power...!

Now that we've killed one (1) (uno) dragon in front of Ulania and Tallieri, their doubts have completely vanished.

Nice job, Unit 13!

The burning light of hope that I felt from you...

Lady Ulania...?

*nods*

I see. Then I will promise as well... I shall revive the power of the Dragonslayer.

Please wait, Lady Ulania! You must not heed their reckless words...!

We have not let despair's grip upon us loosen... and even meant to destroy our own kingdom. However, these people are different. They wish to transcend despair... If there is any glint of hope left in this world... I wish to grasp it.

You plan to risk everything on the suggestion of this foreigner? I simply cannot allow—

I may be inexperienced, Tallieri, but I am the ruler of this kingdom. It is my job to lead our people to the light. So, in the name of the Atlantis Royal Family...

And like that, the suicide plan has been completely abandoned.

...! I never expected this light to reach the depths of Atlantis... But it would seem that I was mistaken. As consul of this kingdom, I will heed your wishes... Queen Ulania.

Wait...

Waaaaait wait wait wait wait...

several thousand years from now posted:

That's Takehaya's spear, what the hell is this?

Did the Hypnos sisters steal it from the ruins of Atlantis after Nyala was forced back? Is it just blatant asset reuse? Who knows!

Please accept it as an heirloom from your father.

Father...

Alright!

It seems I will be unable to join you on the other side just yet...

Unlike our arrival in Berg, we don't get a quick cut to the world map.

So we have to manually leave the palace.

Forgot to stock up on Escape Kits? Have fun heading back up to B1F to take the only warp here.

It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

C'mon, we don't have time for the formalities. Let's just get right to it.

And we'll be taking the Star Crystal with us, so monsters are gonna start pouring in soon. Everyone, prepare to evacuate! Gather your belongings!

Young Militiaman: E-Eigur, there's no way! We have trouble enough even with the Star Crystal's protection...

Stop whining! It's just gonna be for a bit until we can get all the citizens out!

Young Militiaman: B-But still...

We would be willing to leave some ISDF soldiers here to help out.

Just one and a half dungeons after getting our backrow teams, they introduce a new gimmick:

And the other can stay here and stand guard over the residential area.

Removing the backrow entirely.

*nods*

I owe you guys!

We have already sent the Dz we collected over to Nagamimi. However, we'll still need another 30 Dz for the construction.

30 Dz? 30 Dz????

That's more expensive than any project in 2020! That's more than you needed to access the bonus dungeon in 2020! For that much Dz, the new floors better be a 1:1 recreation of Atlantis!

With the Star Crystal gone, this settlement will be a prime target for dragon activity. Let us ambush them here and gather the remaining Dz.

*nods*

Sounds good to me! Alright, once Unit 13's ready to go, we can get this plan under way! Lemme know when you're all set!

~

Take your time organizing your teams. Don't worry, you're not holding us back.

Now that the evacuation is in full swing, everyone has something new to say.

~

Rude Militiaman: Shut your trap. Didn't we tell you we were gonna handle this area? You're not the only strong ones around here! Beat it!

~

Young Militiaman: Now is the moment of truth! We must give it our all! You think I am too excited? This is all about to end...! Who would not be excited for that!?

~

Novice Smith Cub: Holy crap! You guys managed to beat the High Dragon without divine protection...! I really underestimated you land dwellers!

Except Cub, for whatever reason.

~

Blind Smith Auroth: If you want to forge the Dragonslayer, you must be able to hear the voice of orichalcum.

~

So, this is Cladeon... My advisers always told me this place looked like a dungeon... but it is actually quite beautiful.

Carefree Girl: Am I gonna change, too~?

Inept Militiaman: Oh... I'm safe... I don't know what I woulda done if I got called up... I-I'm not freaking out or anything! I-I'm serious!

~

Anxious Old Woman: Can I truly trust in you...? No, I want to believe. I must believe...

Positive Old Man: The tide has changed! I will put all of my faith into you... into the possibilities of youth!

~

Negative Old Man: What is Lady Ulania doing here...? I thought the capital had abandoned us...? Could it be... No. I will not let myself be tricked into having hope. Cladeon is still doomed...

I mean, he's not wrong...

Vigorous Old Man: Nrgh! M-My hip...

Determined Girl: At least know that I'm fighting alongside you in spirit.

Longing Lucier: No! Times of hardship are when the fruit of romance is most likely to ripen...!

And with that, the last Cladeon trip is done.

Of course!

Valerie nods.

Do not worry about us. I will pray that your forging of the Dragonslayer goes as planned.

Ulania and Eigur nod.

And Unit 13, if you find yourself in danger, do not hesitate to return to Nodens and regroup. The lives of the people of Atlantis depend on this plan. Please proceed with caution.

Y-Yes, though there is nothing in particular that I need to prepare...

Novice Smith Cub: All the tools should be over at the forge. We'll teach you how to use 'em!

Blind Smith Auroth: It shall prove a simple task for one who can hear the voice of the orichalcum, Lady Ulania.

...I understand. Then let us depart, Eigur.

Alright! Off to the forge!

Now, just as they said:

Valerie and the rest of Team 2 have been completely removed. No Buddy skills in a fight, no swapping teams out of fights.

However...

Yuma's line about heading back to Nodens is a hint.

If we go back...

Team 2 returns!

You can then swap them into the front.

Head back to Cladeon.

And now Team 2 is heading to the forge.

But we're sticking with Opal for this section.

So, what do the devs make us do after going through a dungeon consisting entirely of straight lines and easy dragons?

A second trip through the dunegon we just cleared, with a bunch more dragons to block our path.

All of it.

Might as well get this started.

At the very least, the devs were kind enough to put in some new dragons for this bit.

The Hammerstrike Dragon has more health than its less spherical counterpart.

But at the end of the day, all it is is an upgraded Hammer Dragon.

And this is VFD, where a simple health bump makes no difference to how hard I can murder things.

Music: Finish Them Off

As an extra kick in the pants, Team 2 being gone means that they get zero leaked EXP/SP for this entire trip.

Don't get your hopes up, this is the only new civilian here. Everything else from here to the forge is just dragons and random encounters.

Up next is dragon 2.

Scapegoat is why I kept Opal in charge for this. Normal fights just don't last long enough for Aria's Moonlight Poetry to really make a difference, but Aiden just needs to land a Hack and he can give everyone 30 MN in one shot.

One more dragon to clear this area out.

We get a quick cutscene near the exit.

*pant* *pant* No... Not... at all...

We should stop for now.

But that thought is all that I needed to revitalize me. Let us continue forth...!

What the heck...? She didn't even respond to me...

~

The queen deserves a rest.

Don't go pampering her like that. She's about to go forge the Dragonslayer, you know? She won't even be able to handle a paring knife if this is enough to stop her.

*pant* I... am fine. I shall not give up yet. We do not have time to rest! Let us continue on to the forge!

The next area has just two dragons.

But right next to the first dragon...

Music: Battlefield - Atlantis

I get into a very good fight.

However I am, remember, right next to the first dragon.

Eh, yolo.

Dealing with Seeds is a lot more difficult when I don't have Inoue on hand to shred them.

On the plus side, we have an actually new dragon!

A field spell from Yuno and an attack from Aiden finishes off the Seed.

...Agents are fairly fragile, why is it dealing so little damage?

I don't want that second dragon joining in, so I want this done ASAP.

An EX-boosted Double Hook will take a sizable chunk out of his health, plus apply the attack debuff before he can use his charged attack.

Debuffs are just that good.

Close.

But no cigar.

Worth it.

And then I murder his buddy for good measure.

Next time: Eight dragons in a single room.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 14, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah the budget was starting to run thin here. Reusing a dungeon you cleared pretty recently is certainly a way to pad out the game.

Incidentally, Dash Stance is not a buff. It's a telegraph skill.

Starting from 2020, dragons and bosses would use up a turn "charging for a big attack" essentially. However, mechanically, such skills do absolutely nothing. They don't boost damage nor are the enemies required to cast them in order to use their big attack. They're just there to warn you that a big attack is coming and to prepare accordingly. So interrupting them or causing the dragon or boss to skip over them does absolutely nothing. They'll still cast their big attack, and said attack will deal full damage. Those skills are just naturally that strong in the game data.

However, 2020-II changed a good portion of them to actually boost damage, though it's just a 25% damage boost (not 25% more attacking stats thankfully.) However there's no way to break buffs in that game, so you're gonna have to deal with being smacked harder.

VFD lets you break those buffs, but also kept some skills as telegraph skills where they do absolutely nothing like Dash Stance. Using a buddy skill on them will do absolutely nothing, as the AI is set on using the big attack anyways, and telegraph skills don't place such buffs on the user, so there's nothing to break.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXIV - Featuring: More of the same dungeon

With that, this room has been cleared out.

There's no cutscene between rooms this time.

But we do have, you guessed it, more dragons.

But we do have new enemies! Including Yuno's shiny new summon!

Dragon 1:

Dead.

Dragon 2:

Dead.

Dragon 3:

Dead.

And done.

Just three more dragons between us and the forge.

There's not really much to say, honestly.

This is literally the dungeon we just finished.

The devs are clearly just trying to pad out the playtime.

Something happened here, though!

This is a perfect chance for lostpower.exe.

It hits hard, and also inflicts some heavy debuffs.

So heavy, in fact, that it can actually become counterproductive.

As seen in this usage of madstrife.

A Sumo Dragon has 95 ATK and 86 DEF.

The ATK debuff on lostpower is so massive that it cannot beat over its own DEF.

This is the only funny thing that happened in this entire run.

Also I ran into a recolor of those snails from Atlantica.

There, finally.

How strange... It is my first time setting foot here, and yet I feel an odd sense of nostalgia...

Blind Smith Auroth: That is likely because you have the blood of a blacksmith running in your veins.

Novice Smith Cub: Let's get this started, already! Eigur and Unit 13 are gonna have to wait outside, though.

What, we can't watch?

Novice Smith Cub: Forging the Dragonslayer's gonna require intense concentration. Lady Ulania definitely won't be able to get that if you guys are gawking at her the whole time.

Grr... Fine.

You can do it, Ulania.

Thank you. Your words grant me courage and strength. I will hold them within my heart, and... I will succeed.

~

Do you want us to help?

No, you have provided a great deal of help already. Everything beyond this point is my responsibility as the queen of Atlantis.

~~

Please believe in me.

*nods*

Alright, we'll keep guard right outside. Good luck!

We now cut over to team 2.

Who knows? Either way, it's good to have hope in something every once in a while.

Suddenly, dragon roars!

Lookout Girl: *whimper* That sounds like a dragon!

...It seems the dragons have become aware of the Star Crystal's disappearance.

Young Militiaman: *whimper*

ISDF forces, along with Unit 13, will dispatch the dragon presence in the village outskirts. Guard this place with your lives!

Young Militiaman: O-OK!

The Star Crystal has actually been removed.

And everyone in Cladeon has vanished.

Funnily enough, you can still head back to Nodens and swap teams, so if I wanted I could have Opal simultaneously guard Ulania and protect Cladeon.

The people of the settlement barely have any fight left... One invasion would be the end of them. Things might get tough, but you can do it! Good luck!

Eeheehee... This is the perfect opportunity. Just hunt 'em all, and you'll qet a crapton of Dz.

So how many dragons does Valerie have to deal with?

About this many.

Also, for whatever reason, the devs decided to completely disable random encounters for this section.

First up...

Is just a Hammerstrike.

The sheer proximity of dragons is probably why random encounters are disabled, now that I think about it. With this many dragons, any fight would end up in range of at least one and lead to a chain of fights when you aren't prepared.

We get a cutscene after our first dragon kill.

Looks like things are going well. You've already taken one down. We'll still need a lot more Dz before we can build a facility to house all these people... But that number is attainable for you guys, right?

Valerie nods.

Good. I wish you the best of luck. Transmission, over.

I won't let them beat me!

A dragon roars.

Hrahhhh!

Yuma's in good form today. Looks like the D-Install had no side effects whatsoever!

...!?

Music: Destructive Curse

Oh wait.

Hrgh... Grahhh! M-My head...!

Turns out that having two True Dragons stuffed in your head is a really bad idea!

Admiral? Wh-What... !?

If you try and fight like this, all you'll do is hold us back.

...!?

Another dragon roars.

I can still fight, Admiral! Please, let me keep going!

Don't be stupid! There's no coming back once you're dead!

I'd rather die than run away from a fight! My value comes from my ability to fight... Fight, and win... That's my purpose here, isn't it!?

And turns out that creating a life for the sole purpose of combat and tying his worth solely to how well he can fight leads to incredibly unhealthy mindsets, who knew?

That's enough, Yuma!

Ngh... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell... I should be fine as long as I avoid any further injury. Please, don't take away my purpose...!

...This is the last time I'm going to give in to your selfish desires.

Admiral...!

You must promise me that you'll stop at once the next time you feel anything wrong.

*nods*

Understood.

Good. Then let us continue with the defense of this settlement!

With no random fights to drain resources, I can hit up the heal spot whenever I want.

Next.

Oh hey, another new dragon!

Now, this would normally be where I go over what they can do.

But these guys have basically no health.

So it died before it could get a single attack off.

Now, the intent of this room is obvious: Have a bunch of dragons huddled together so that getting into a fight with one naturally draws in several more, testing the player's ability to deal with a protracted fight.

But that doesn't matter when I can kill them this quickly.

And what dragons are beefy enough to survive until reinforcements can arrive are placed after the fragile ones, so by the time I get to them there aren't any dragons that can help out.

Look at how close these two are!

This one died in one turn, so it doesn't matter!

Just two left.

The last dragon?

Just a normal Sumo Dragon.

And just to rub salt in the wound:

While dragons give great EXP, they give jack for SP. So now team 2 is far behind on skill progression compared to team 1.

Yay! You guys are amazing!

Unit 13, come in! We can meet up with you guys if you need any support.

Psh, don't be silly. We finished that crap a long time ago.

Hmph... I see. I will leave the remaining monsters to our troops, then.

Any casualties on your end?

None. Yuma and I are just about to check on the progress of the Dragonslayer.

Gotcha. We'll head over to the forge, too. I guess we'll see you there.

And that's how to clear a gimmick room without ever having to deal with the gimmick.

I didn't even use any cheese strats or anything, this was just some basic team synergies.

Yes. I'd rather Unit 13 didn't know about my malfunctions... or the D-Install.

...Heh.

Ngh... What's so funny?

You really don't want to lose to Unit 13, do you?

Correct.

That's a good mindset to have. You seem to be picking up some human qualities.

Is that so...? I haven't quite noficed...

You'll come to see eventually. Anyway, how are you feeling?

Much more stable than earlier. I can execute a standard mission with zero chance of error.

I see... Alright, let's go meet up with Unit 13.

Next time: We finally get our Dragonslayer.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 14, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

First time I saw the living dragonfly pun I just stared at the screen for a minute in befuddlement and realized yes, the game really went there. It's funny too because the dragonfly insects aren't called that all in Japanese and go by an entirely different name unrelated to dragons.

Fly Dragonicas don't do too much. They just inflict Sleep or Blind. Pretty unchanged from their 2020 incarnations. Though 2020-II gave them 30% evasion that they no longer have in VFD.

They are very fragile though. Fly Dragonicas 1088 HP with 55 DEF and 42 MDF. Hammerstrike Dragons have 1830 HP with 55 DEF and 49 MDF. And Sumo Dragons have 1586 HP, but they have 86 DEF and 61 MDF. As a a result they're very easy to nuke down, especially if you get a pre-emptive.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Hm, the way I rationalize the time paradoxes this game makes is that the places we go to are fixed moments in time.
I blame Doctor Who (tenet/Smith era mostly, with some Capaldi) for this understanding of hollywood time travel.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXV - Featuring: The Dragonslayer

With both sides of Cladeon cleared out, our teams can finally reunite.

Valerie gestures.

I see... That's a relief. Thank you for your help, Unit 13. And you ISDF guys, too. We got kicked out cause we woulda distracted them or whatever.

I am sure you have all felt restless with only half of your group present.

Valerie and Opal nod.

My sweet, sweet Buddy skills, how I have missed you.

Jesus what. :stare:

That should be enough to complete the construction. Our joint effort is now complete.

Alright! Hey, wanna peek in there for a little bit?

Would that be a problem?

A peek wouldn't do much. Plus, Ulania's real lenient toward Unit 13. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Hm, I am interested. Let's try not to let them notice us.

Another failure... But I must not give up! I shall try until I succeed!

Blind Smith Auroth: Well met, Lady Ulania! Your spirit is indomitable!

It seems as though we will have to let time sort this matter out.

Sorry to interrupt, but I've got a report from the soldiers standing guard in the outskirts.

If you plan on rescuing these people, set up the facility for them before it's too late.

You can leave this place to us, Unit 13. Head back to Nodens for now.

*nods*

Yeah, we can handle stuff here! You guys go get ready for all the refugees!

We then get booted out to go back to Nodens.

And Cladeon is now 100% dragon free! :toot:

But I'm heading right back.

Because I'm almost certain Ulania has something to say.

Hey look, I was right! If I wasn't, then this third trip through Cladeon would have been worthless!

For whatever reason, the smiths have vanished.

You should be able to make a real nice living area with that much. Get on with it already!

drat, we really do have a lot of Dz.

Aww, they even got some of those glowing plants from Atlantis for everyone.

...isn't introducing new forms of life to an ecosystem bad?

I didn't notice the Entrance Lobby being mentioned and thought the floor head would be on, you know, the actual floor, so it'll be a bit before I get that Burn Cut.

You can leave the rest to us pros. Just sit back and watch from the War Room.

The International Self Defense Force specializes in civilian evacuation and rescue.

We don't know how the people of Atlantica will respond to us, but we'll do whatever we can.

Music: Chant for Sanctuary (code:VFD Ver.)

Despite the place being empty a few minutes ago, Cladeon is now bustling with people heading to Nodens.

Chief Toglau: I am unsure... but as long as we continue living, we will figure something out. For now we must focus on survival...

Atlantica is also clearing out.

We do not have much time to discuss. Please gather your belongings as quickly as possible.

Oh hey, its the girl we saved at the very start!

Milra's Grandmother: In that case... please take my grandchild, Milra. I will remain here.

But...

Milra's Grandmother: My husband, daughter, and son all rest in this ocean. I will not leave. Please tell the kind people I met earlier to take care of Milra for me. Unit 13, I think it was...

And finally, Berg.

Elderly Lucier: We should obey the words of Consul Tallieri. He speaks with the authority of the Royal Family.

Loyal Court Lady: I refuse to leave this place until Queen Ulania returns... I shall wait until the end of time if I must!

Although things aren't going as smoothly here.

There is no need to thank me. I am merely fulfilling my duty.

Do you plan to stay here?

Is there anything else you need from us?

I do not expect this to be the case, but if the Grand Star Crystal remains unharmed...

The Grand Star Crystal?

Good work.

However, quite a few upper-class citizens refuse to leave.

The citizens of the capital have a strong sense of belonging here. If anyone were to move them...

It would be Queen Ulania.

Music: UE77 In Ariake

There are so many people...

Ugh... We're gonna have all sorts of random stuff to deal with around here now...

*chuckle* It's nice to have some more friends★

*sigh* Our president is wayyyyyy too easy-going...

The radio chimes.

Yo! We've been watching. You ISDF guys are as good as we would've expected.

Not quite.

Some of the citizens refuse to evacuate. Further persuasion will prove difficult.

Well, those kinds of things do happen sometimes. So, what're you going to do?

We'd like Unit 13's help. We need you to get a statement from Ulania urging the citizens to evacuate.

We leave this in your hands.

Oh, so now you set one up.

That means they prolly won't be so rare in the future...

But first, the usual.

~

So they'd rather die than betray their kingdom... That's sweet, but is it what they really want? I find it hard to believe they wouldn't come to regret that decision in their final moments...

Let's go check out the new Ward!

Seems, uh, tiny.

But people are already starting to move in.

~

Tohma: What am I doing here? I see... Thank you. However, how am I supposed to continue living...?

The left door leads to a room dedicated to Ulania.

Did they really need to slap the company name on every wall?

The right door leads to a common room.

~

Maya: I can't thank you enough. Because of you, I was able to meet up with my mother and father again.

Chief Toglau: I cannot claim to be any different... However, we shall adjust... in time.

~

Talkative Scholar: Is this really 10,000 years in the future? Does that make me over 10,000 years old...?

~

Lookout Girl: Oh... There's something I'd like you to have, Unit 13. It always proved useful out on my patrols... Please don't strain yourselves.

That wasn't even listed as a reward, so get hosed if you don't compulsively talk to every NPC at the earliest opportunity, I guess.

Also how the hell is this the entire floor!?

They have six beds to cover every refugee from Atlantis!

The 2020s had five full floors of refugees, and each had several rooms and didn't cost 30 god drat Dz.

I really hope this is just one of those things where the floor is implied to be bigger and you just never get to see it, because this is just absurd otherwise.

Mature-Looking Boy: She's so cute... It was love at first sight...

The other people we've rescued are scattered around Nodens.

Proud Old Man: I'm a big bundle of energy thanks to you guys! Gwahaha!

Future Pop Star: Oh! Th-Thank you for saving me the other day...

Now we can check in on Ulania for the third time in ten minutes.

I sure wish this was here earlier this update...

Oh look, the smiths have returned.

*nods*

The queen's word is prolly the only thing that'd get through to those upper-class snobs.

... A written statement will not resonate with them. I must address my people directly.

Directly!? You've gotta stay here and finish up the Dragonslayer!

It is my job to lead my people from their state of confusion. I cannot leave them be. And... I can sense that the Dragonslayer will be complete momentarily.

Sense...? Ulania, does that mean you... can hear the voice of the orichalcum?

And then...

Blind Smith Auroth: I can... I can see it...! The sword gleams with the light of this planet...!

It still isn't a sword, Ulania, that's clearly a spear.

Only you have the power to wield this sword, Opal. The dragon hunter guided here by the stars... We entrust our will to you.

Gee, it's almost like you shouldn't skip steps when making your ultimate dragon slaying weapon or something.

I am glad... This sword serves to connect my will to that of the dragon hunter. And... I believe in the depths of my heart that you will use this sword to defeat Nyala.

Novice Smith Cub: Lady Ulania's done all this without any kind of break! She's at her limit!

Blind Smith Auroth: Please, get some rest...

Ulania...!

This is all up to you now, Opal!

Next time: Inoue gets banned from cooking duty.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 14, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I had some sleeping troubles over the weekend, so only one update this week.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm glad that the wielder of the Dragonslayer is Opal. Her expression holding it up is perfect. "Oh. A sword. That's fine, I guess. :geno:"

Can she even use it? She punches stuff.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

megane posted:

I'm glad that the wielder of the Dragonslayer is Opal. Her expression holding it up is perfect. "Oh. A sword. That's fine, I guess. :geno:"

Can she even use it? She punches stuff.

She could always do it like Bazzette does with Answerer, and punch(?) it towards her enemies?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Gilgamesh255 posted:

She could always do it like Bazzette does with Answerer, and punch(?) it towards her enemies?

Ulania: Dragon Slaying Sword Bullet

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
Obviously Opal stabs the dragon with it, then punches the haft to send it THROUGH the dragon. That'd probably kill it dead, right?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXVI - Featuring: Potential lawsuits

~

Novice Smith Cub: The Dragonslayer is really incredible! Lady Ulania's amazing! The rest... is up to you.

And with that, we are now 100% done with Cladeon.

For those of you playing along at home, make sure you take the Palace Gate entry and don't just rush to the latest entrance point like the other 99% of the game.

No, I'm not speaking from personal experience, why do you ask?

~

Atlantis Soldier: I-I wish to join you! But then... who would protect the palace...? ...Please forget what I just said.

Music: None

Tallieri... Thank you for coordinating the evacuation. Please leave the rest to me...

Music: Chant for Sanctuary feat. Kanon Wakeshima (You should probably listen to this)
Video: Ulania's Speech (Or watch it, that works too!)

In only a few days, we have lost King Utrello, families, friends, homes, cities... We witnessed so much loss that the light of hope was extinguished within our hearts.

But that was a mistake. What I truly desire is to bring joy back to the people of this ocean... One day... no matter how far in the future it must be... I will accomplish that goal!

I believe with every fiber of my being that this person will be the one to return our kingdom to us!

Even if you have no hope left within you... you must live on. You must survive!

*pant* Unh... Thank you, Tallieri... I am... fine...

Therefore, as the prideful people of this kingdom, we must push on! Someday, we shall return to this land. However, we can only do that if we survive now.

Music: Chant for Sanctuary (code:VFD Ver.)

Ulania has fallen only to be caught mid-fall three times in the past five minutes. She could clearly use an exercise routine.

*pant* *pant*

What a brilliant speech...!

What about... the people...? Are they... evacuating?

Please do not worry. It seems they have all heeded your word and begun to leave.

I am... so glad... Opal... Thanks to you... I was able to...

Ulania finally passes out, after hoofing it to the forge, finishing the Dragonslayer, and giving a speech.

Ulania needs to rest! Where can we take her?

Our medical equipment in Tokyo is quite advanced. Bring her there. I'm sure Unit 13 is tired as well.

I see... Thank you.

What will you do?

As the consul of Atlantis, I cannot leave until every single citizen has been evacuated.

I'm sure you know that the water wall surrounding this kingdom is nearly at its limit. Even if we defeat Nyala, the wall won't withstand the pressure. Atlantis will soon be...

I understand. Even so, the ruler of this land has done everything she can to protect it. It is my duty to match that effort in any way I can.

*nods*

Let's go, Yuma.

Understood.

...Indeed, I believe I can.

*chuckle* Alright, Unit 13! Let's get going!

Tallieri just sorta... drops from the plot now.

Everyone else has left Atlantis, but he'll just sit here chilling in the Palace instead of helping his people in Nodens.

On the plus side, we can now pick the place clean!

The left door leads to an empty room.

While the exits in the corners lead to another area.

The door at the top is locked for now.

But the stairs lead down to the basement, where Eigur stopped us the first time we were here.

The room on the far right is a mirror of the one on the left, but with a chest added in.

The door at the top of the stairs lead to a throne room.

Which, strangely, goes entirely unused in the story. Plot rewrite, perhaps?

We've accomodated all of the Lucier people in the Atlantis Evac Ward.

Aren't you guys exhausted? Get to your room and rest up!

Are you worried about me?

Huh!? Why the hell would I worry about you jerks!? It'd just be a pain if you guys went and died out there. That's all!

Nagamimi's getting increasingly tsundere.

~

I can still fight!

Sheesh... You idiot! We can see the data for all your vital signs! You're clearly exhausted!

~~

The Nyala subjugation plan'll start first thing tomorrow morning. Now quit your yapping and get the hell to sleep!

No.

Blind Smith Cub: It's only natural I'd worry. She's never done this before...

Because the evacuation finishing means more people have arrived.

Including people who should have already been here, bizarrely.

This was the first civilian we rescued in Berg's basement, for context.

~

Shy Girl: Oh, it's you... Thank you for being my guide before...

~

Tohma: Lady Ulania has granted me the will to live! Hraaaahhhh! I shall devote my life to her!

A few people who were already here even get some new lines!

~

Please excuse me. I am exhausted...

~

Milra's Grandmother: My worry for Milra, got the best of me, so I came here... The heart is quite unpredictable...

...Well that completely undercuts her deciding to live out the last of her days in her homeland.

Intentional character choice, or did the writers make a change at the last minute and didn't want to go back and change the evacuation cutscene? You decide!

~

Talkative Scholar: My goodness... Queen Ulania is here as well!? This must be the will of the stars.

Lookout Girl: Eigur believes in you, so I'm going to believe in you as well.

Minato: It's almost impossible to find something specific when there are just so many books in here.

~

Focused Boy: Are we really in the future...? Does that mean I'm never gonna see my parents again? *sniffle*

Retired Blacksmith: And don't mistake that for sarcasm. I'm serious!

Ah, there she is.

That was everyone with new lines.

Now I just need to use up some ingredients before bed, so I have Inoue handle it.

:stare:

I will no longer have Inoue handle it.

Tomorrow, we face Nyala.

*nods*

Mm, I knew it... You've grown a great deal. Maybe you haven't noticed, but both your body and heart are much stronger than before★ *chuckle* Seeing you always makes me think about how amazing humanity is. The potential of humanity is truly limitless... Watching its progress never fails to grip me★ I'll cooperate in any way in order to aid your progress. I'm looking forward to working together more★

Likewise!

*chuckle* Hm, maybe your frankness is what has helped accelerate your growth★

~

Why do you do so much for me?

Hm? I haven't done anything. I'm merely excited to see such amazing growth★

~~

Hey, Opal... What do you think the charm of living things is? It's clearly growth. Things are interesting because they change, don't you think? The same goes for games, or Julietta's research. I can't help but be infatuated with growth... On the other hand, I hate that which hinders it★

*nods*

OK OK★ You'll understand someday! I quite like Unit 13. Do you mind if I take a closer look at you? I'm going to even if you say no★

How Nodens isn't constantly drowning in lawsuits is a mystery.

The door opens from offscreen and...

...Mio gets traumatized.

Wh-Wh-Wh-Wh-What are you doing, Allie!?

*chuckle* You wanna join? ...I'll make you join even if you say no★

Seriously, how good are the lawyers here?

Mmm... Neither too stiff nor too tender★ You'll grow into quite a nice body pillow...

You're going to turn me into a pillow!?

Completely spooked, Mio sprints out of the room.

No! You made me completely forget why I came up here in the first place... I have a message for Unit 13! Julietta would like to see you in the War Room! That's all! Bye!

This company would be in quite a bit of trouble if I got sued for sexual harassment...

This is your daily reminder that Mio is 14 years old what the christ.

Next time: We knock on Nyala's door.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 14, 2023

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

what the gently caress allie

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Ratoslov posted:

what the gently caress allie

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Allie sure is weird isn't she? so wacky.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i loving love allie she's so goddamn weird

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Seems pretty normal for a video game studio exec, based on Ubisoft, Rockstar, Activision-Blizzard, Gearbox, Nintendo of America, Quantic Dreams...

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
I'm imagining that scene with Valerie in place of Opal and having a nervous chuckle at the thought of Allie getting handsy while our other main character stares a hole through her, flashing a toothy grin the whole time.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So who'd be the whistleblower? Then again their lawyers are probably too good.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXVII - Featuring: A cameo from everyone's favorite hero!

Completely out of nowhere, I get an expansion for the library.

Might as well get it, not like I'm short on Dz or anything.

Hey look, it's Blaster Raven!

...In the restricted section?

You obtained Paralyze Guard x1.

~

Asuka: President Allie arranged for us to keep books salvaged from Atlantis here. Through books, we can experience the distant past... Nothing brings me greater joy!

The Restricted Area is behind that locked door from before.

Now, why does the Nodens Reference Floor has a side area in it for Raven to poke around in?

And why is it locked from the inside?

Oh well, I'm sure he's just preparing for his next public appearance. I wouldn't put it past Allie to help support older IPs.

How do you feel, my pure little princess?

To be perfectly honest... I am having difficulty comprehending such an odd notion. However, there is one thing I am sure of. You are all putting in your utmost efforts for our sakes. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Once this battle is over, I wish to repay the favor, as ruler of Atlantis.

Ladyin was originally a solemn, sacred place reserved for only the highest of royalty. However, it became Nyala's base as soon as that foul dragon invaded. The Grand Star Crystal deep within Ladyin is the heart of Atlantis. It keeps our kingdom afloat... Hence, we wished to destroy the Grand Star Crystal, and in doing so kill Nyala... However, if we can take back the Grand Star Crystal, perhaps we can prevent Atlantis's fall. I do not have the power to defeat Nyala, but I can act as a guide. Therefore... I shall join you in your final battle against Nyala.

What!? No, you can't! I won't let you put yourself in danger like that!

Eigur, no matter how dangerous the path ahead may be, I must fulfill my duty as the ruler of Atlantis. And you said you would protect me in times of danger, correct?

Well yeah, but... Grrr, fine! As long as Unit 13's OK with it! You don't mind, right?

*nods*

Indeed, leave it to me.

*sigh* Man, I didn't think things would get this crazy... The only thing I was sure of was that Atlantis would crumble, since that's what history says. All we really wanted to do was get a specimen from the True Dragon, but... Who would've thought we'd end up saving a kingdom that was destroyed 12,000 years ago...?

Meet at the Portal when you're ready. And no dicking around! We're on a tight deadline!

Show me how much you've grown!

Maybe it doesn't feel remorse because we're so small... It's like crushing ants to us... I can't help but think... Is being weak against that power really all that bad...?

The entrance is in the basement of the Berg Sea Palace. We set up an access point in the palace, so make sure you use that!

The ISDF guys'll go first, then Unit 13 will take the rear. That punk better protect Ulania...

Hey, by punk do you mean...

Eeheehee... Who else would it be? If you don't like punk, how about dumbass?

You little...!

Eigur, you must not fight.

I-I'm sorry about that, Mr. Eigur! Nagamimi is such a foulmouth...

Hey, didn't I tell you to call me Almighty Nagamimi!? You little punk!

Mio has quickly learned to take no poo poo from Nagamimi.

This brat has turned out so egotistical... This is all your fault, Unit 13! Just hurry up and get out of here!

This access point seems a bit redundant, considering the Palace Entrance is like 30 seconds away.

Alright, let's continue.

Well, Ladyin is certainly more open than the basement, at least.

Alright, the first dragon in the final dungeon of the first act is...

...a recolor of the Oceanus from Cladeon.

Thanks, devs.

The only difference is that it picked up an incredibly rude Sleep move.

Fun fact: Despite TROYs being marked as a debuff on the enemy...

The actual follow-up attack is tied to Aiden specifically. If he can't move, TROY procs can't go off.

Once I can wake everyone up, the fight doesn't take long.

Now-Awake Woman: I keep ending up in these kinds of situations... I wonder if I have bad luck or something.

The second dragon is another Dark One.

Hungry Soldier: I managed to feed off monster flesh to survive, but I can't help but yearn for normal food.

~

Cold-Hating Soldier: P-P-P-Please help! I've been stranded here for two months already! I-I-I'm going to f-f-f-freeze to death at this rate!

A 2-for-1 rescue deal, gotta love it!

And some gear right next to them!

The third dragon on this floor is yet another Dark One.

Same with the final one.

I'd like to point out that this is the finale of the entire Atlantis arc! There are 19 dragons left to kill! That's over 1/5 of all dragons in Ladyin just being the same fight over and over!

Oh well.

That's the first floor done.

Defeated Soldier: There's no use to a soldier who can't even win against one tiny dragon...

The first dragon on this floor?

Is actually an entirely new type!

It doesn't hit particularly hard.

But it doesn't need to, as it has a rather potent evasion buff to make it a pain to kill.

You know, if I didn't have Buddy Skills available. As it is, the Morph Dragon will only have a single turn to enjoy that buff before I can break it.

Oh, and it can also inflict Blind to make itself even harder to hit.

The odds of you actually landing a hit with that buff up are slim, which would have made it an actual threat in the 2020s.

But buffs just don't matter when I can get rid of them whenever I want.

There's a door to the north.

Which leads to a way down.

Why are they called Morph Dragons, anyways? They don't morph or anything.

Just past it is that flower wall on the map. We'll have to find our way back here later.

And the last accessible dragon on the floor is, try not to be surprised now, another Morph Dragon.

That's the most we can do here until we can get behind that barrier.

Retired Soldier: Back when I was on active duty, I could've taken Nyala down with one hand. I wish I was still young...

What could possibly be behind this door? I'm sure it won't be more Morph Dragons or Dark Ones.

Next time: We finish exploring Ladyin.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 14, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Morph Dragons have a buff that increases their evasion by a whopping 45% for 4 turns. And their blind lasts for 3 turns and cuts accuracy by 25%. So with base 100% accuracy moves, you'd only have a 30% chance to hit. Ouch. Unfortunately their buff has a 100% break chance.

That skillset seems pretty harsh for this point in the game (for any other JRPG party that isn't loving hepped up on steroids). That's because they were late-game dragons from II, and aside from their stats being scaled down, they're pretty unchanged. The power creep is certainly on display here since they were pretty annoying to deal with in that game, but are barely a blip here.

I will say VFD wasn't really grabbing me by this point on my first playthrough, as one of the reasons for that were the dungeon aesthetics seemed pretty bland to me. Didn't help that you have to go through the cave dungeon twice. Jumping back to 2020 and II later was sure a shock.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

To be perfectly honest... I am having difficulty comprehending such an odd notion. To be perfectly honest... I am having difficulty comprehending such an odd notion.

Not sure if you're quoting that word for word, or if that's an oopsie on your part.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Not sure if you're quoting that word for word, or if that's an oopsie on your part.

Fixed that, thanks.

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?

Araxxor posted:

I will say VFD wasn't really grabbing me by this point on my first playthrough, as one of the reasons for that were the dungeon aesthetics seemed pretty bland to me. Didn't help that you have to go through the cave dungeon twice. Jumping back to 2020 and II later was sure a shock.

Agreed. This was about where I stopped on my playthrough. The rampant overkill is kinda fun, but it definitely wears off fast.

Pretty interested to see where the over-the-top OPness goes from here, though.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXVIII - Featuring: More dull dungeon design

Oh look, more spiral stairs.

With a heal point to mark that we're halfway there.

...Now that I think about it, I don't think we've seen a normal blue save point in a dungeon. All of them have been green heal points.

Which further cuts the game's difficulty, since always having a free heal nearby makes it even harder to run dry during exploration.

Perhaps they put in a new dragon?

Ha ha, no. It's just another Morph Dragon.

On this floor the inner circle is undamaged, with two dragons moving in a loop.

The first is a Dark One.

There's another chest on the opposite side.

And the second dragon is, and try not to be surprised now, another Dark One.

To the north.

Is a Morph.

Also look at that MN recovery from scapegoat! Each use of it drat near refills Aiden's pool, and even Yuno gets half!

There's the chest we've been seeing on the map.

There's another door to the north.

Which leads to another path down.

Every time I get one of these, I think of that single revive we got as a rescue reward.

But before I head down, I need to finish clearing out this floor.

VFD really needed more dragon variety. We're halfway to Nyala and we've just seen the same two dragons over and over.

That's this floor cleared.

The stairs lead us back up to the flower wall from before.

Yawn.

This opens up a shortcut, but it really isn't all that short when you compare taking the stairs to taking the outside path.

That's the floor mapped out.

And done.

So back down to the door we go.

It has the exact same layout as the last corridor, but with a forced dragon fight.

...And its an actually new dragon? And a unique one at that? The gently caress!?

Of course, it has less health than a Dark One so lol.

But it does Power Charge on turn 1, forcing me to deal with a buffed hit.

I try to get clever and use Jinka React.

Except Valerie's paralysis canceled the attack, so all it did was a single normal that turn.

I try Moon Stance to force it to target Inoue.

But that also fails.

Shows what I get for trying to get fancy.

Oh well.

That dragon was the only thing here.

But with that, we're now at the very end of Ladyin.

Which means that, yes, the final dungeon of the first act is literally the same room over and over again with a few changes in floor layout. The budget is only going to get smaller from here.

Welcome to VFD.

The center of the area is nice and open, after the cramped stairs until now.

There are more Morph Dragons down here, naturally.

I double back to check upstairs.

And holy poo poo one of these guys!

If the devs were willing to use them here, why didn't they scatter some of them about so we don't end up the exact same dragons multiple times in a row?

They're the exact same dragons we saw during our trip to Berg's basement, beyond that.

I've also started to fill out Yuno's skill set a bit more.

Plus I finally grabbed a gun skill for Aiden.

Air Assault is a very good skill, being able to wipe mobs at level 1 and have priority.

While Summon: Ice IIGlacier Aqua Madoor hits just as hard as its fire counterpart, and can give ludicrous MN regen thanks to MANA GainSolemn Wishes.

This is the only thing up here.

And while it looks like there should be an exit leading up, the stairs are blocked by rubble.

Air Assault basically turns Aiden into Unit 13's best trash clearer for random encounters.

And while it is rather pricy at 7 MN a pop with Aiden's poor reserves, I can use Quick Hack procs to immediately top him off.

This is the last civilian in Ladyin.

Just two more dragons.

And that's all of Ladyin except for Nyala himself taken care of.

So I should go check on the new rescues before I go face him.

Kino: Oh! You've saved 30 people! As promised, here's your reward! Thanks a lot!

Kino this better be more worthwhile then last time...

...A single healing item???

I had 10 of these!!!!!!!

Defeated Soldier: I haven't had any nightmares about dragons for three nights and counting!

Hungry Soldier: However, I can't forget the succulent taste of the monster flesh I ate back in Ladyin...

Hey look, Valerie's starting to gain some affection!

...Wait, how does she have a rank with Opal? They've never fought together.

Maybe Buddy skills contribute to it.

I must see if it changes the dates.

Music: Re:Vanishment (code:VFD Ver)

Oh hey, it does!

Now-Awake Woman: Then I couldn't find my way out of the sealed district, so I just sat and waited for death...

And that was everyone I could find.

So all that's left is to head back to Ladyin...

...And prepare to fight a god.

Next time: Unit 13's first True Dragon.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Aria, that IS Valerie's calm face. And her angry one. And her happy one. And her sad one.

I'd like to imagine Valerie pining for a more expressive face and her squad wondering if she intends to rip it off a person or monster and just staple it on.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Breaking news!

Local broken game found to be even more broken then it already was!

I think this is the second time I've had to go back and add something to the mechanics post.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

At this rate we'll find out VFD characters can actually kill enemies in the other games somehow.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I swear to god this game keeps finding ways to outpowercreep my previous findings.

By the way EX buffs the effect to 0.5x.

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?
This is incredible. It's a case study of OPdom.

Too bad they didn't make the enemies similarly over-the-top to match. It might have been kind of interesting to see how far they could push both sides simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Just pushing into a new page.