Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

LS are pretty much a gold standard for the home lab crowd so that tracks. I’m sure the Plex version is fine as well. The only reason I stopped was the aforementioned hardware transcoding stuff, but if that’s been fixed then there isn’t a real reason to or not to vs a traditional bare metal install. I’d imagine the container versions are a bit quicker to update and easier as well, though Synology’s install is pretty snappy/easy as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Red and Black posted:

Is there an app out there that can remove the DRM for free?

You're asking if we can help you find a copyright circumvention device, which would be breaking the law.

Actually, I guess you didn't actually ask that. You just wanted to know if there's an app out there that can do this. I would be shocked if there wasn't.

It has not been my experience that people buy Apple products because of the rich ecosystem of free/libre software. I wouldn't expect to be able to find such a thing at no cost for Macintosh, but I could be wrong. And paid products are probably not easy to find either, since anyone accepting money needs to be concerned about breaking federal law.

e: oh, and I should probably also disabuse you of this notion:

Red and Black posted:

I've purchased these movies

You have not. You paid a fee to rent them until such time as Apple decides to stop letting you access them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/20/opinion/future-dvds-streaming.html

cruft fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 25, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Stripping DRM from files you paid for is perfectly legal, so is selling software that automates it. It's distributing those files for reasons beyond personal use that's illegal

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

acksplode posted:

Stripping DRM from files you paid for is perfectly legal, so is selling software that automates it. It's distributing those files for reasons beyond personal use that's illegal

Please have a look at https://www.eff.org/files/filenode/drm_pager_fnl.pdf.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There's a bunch of built-in fair use exemptions outlined in the PDF linked from here: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/10/victory-users-librarian-congress-renews-and-expands-protections-fair-uses. There's a blanket exception for DVD and Blu-Ray, and then broader exemptions for students or educators, and other situations. I oversold it by saying "perfectly legal", but there are absolutely scenarios where Red and Black is in the clear. Let's just assume they're a student and be helpful rather than lecture them about rent vs own.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

acksplode posted:

There's a bunch of built-in fair use exemptions outlined in the PDF linked from here: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/10/victory-users-librarian-congress-renews-and-expands-protections-fair-uses. There's a blanket exception for DVD and Blu-Ray, and then broader exemptions for students or educators, and other situations. I oversold it by saying "perfectly legal", but there are absolutely scenarios where Red and Black is in the clear. Let's just assume they're a student and be helpful rather than lecture them about rent vs own.

Okay, fair, I'll be helpful now. I feel like the Plex thread is probably a good place to remind everybody what the situation is with "buying" movies, but I'm done, and I apologize for coming off like your 8th grade librarian.

OP, Apple uses a technology they named "FairPlay". A search for "FairPlay removal" turns up a couple of pretty shady looking commercial solutions, something in Java that hasn't been updated in years, and a Python script written specifically for episodes of "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic".

The best I could find is a not-updated-in-8-years Java program called "Requiem" that has a big gigantic warning about how narrow the definition is of fair use under the DMCA. https://github.com/Shaddy1884/requiem

I'd be surprised if this still worked, but I don't see anything else even attempting to attack FairPlay DRM that isn't trying to get money out of you.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Red and Black posted:

Hey so I'm trying to download some videos from my library on the Apple TV app so I can put them on Plex. I've purchased these movies and I can download them onto my computer, but they are m4v files that have DRM on them. I've been looking around for a way to remove the DRM and so far it looks like most solutions cost money. Is there an app out there that can remove the DRM for free?

I don't know of a good free solution. I paid for M4VGear, which does work as advertised, however you need to install an old version of iTunes for it and more recent titles (ones that were added to iTunes in the last year or so) can't be downloaded with an old client and bypassed this way. That said, obtaining older titles now does still work for this, they didn't mandate the newer iTunes versions for their back catalog, at least not yet. It's a bit awkward and there are easier options if you're willing to go that route unless something is legitimately only available via iTunes for some reason (in my case a few French dubs exist on iTunes but not elsewhere).

I think free solutions for things of this nature (also stuff like downloading DRM-free copies of videos from Netflix and other streaming sites) don't tend to be a thing because there's an arms race between rippers and the digital content providers, and the less public information is available to the digital content providers the less likely they are to find vulnerabilities that they then patch. In fact I don't think you can even buy a lot of tools that do proper rips, that poo poo stays in-house with online :filez: release groups.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
When Plex is installed in Windows, it persists some config values in the registry. When migrating to Linux you need to set that poo poo manually I assume?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
The current LS containers for Plex support hardware transcoding pretty easily now. Just a couple of extra lines in your docker-compose.yml (provided that you have all the host-level stuff done).

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

cruft posted:

e: Yay, solution! Looks like it didn't like the network I was coming from, which was the LAN, but whatever. I set up an SSH tunnel to the host running the server, then connected to localhost, and it offered for me to claim the server again.

It took me like two hours of messing with things to be able to claim my server. I never did see the claim button. I tried the above but it didn't work for me for some reason. What eventually worked was ssh ing in and running
code:
 curl -X POST http://server_ip:32400/myplex/claim?token="CLAIM_TOKEN_HERE"

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Probably easier to figure out how BitTorrent or Usenet work than gently caress around with stripping DRM. Whatever videos you have, they are almost certainly already out there.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
man plexamp is dope. any experience trying to sync Spotify playlists to Plex? with a real mobile player I'd like to start recreating my big collection of Spotify playlists locally. ideally with something like lidarr to auto download the missing albums/tracks. is this doable? honestly even something that (1) tells me what I'm missing and (2) tells me which album gives me the most missing tracks on the synced playlists would be a great start!

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
I need to recheck my understanding of what I'm trying to do because I'm running into a wall. I'm moving Plex from Windows to Docker on Linux. For reference I've been following the instructions here. For preface, I'm aware of the difference between paths on Windows and Linux and am competent enough to have setup all the other *arr apps in docker already.

I want to shut down the existing Plex instance, copy my data to the destination folder, start the Plex docker container as the old instance including name.

This would be in contrast from the contained Plex being a new server that I migrate meta-data into, later unclaiming the old windows instance and renaming the new one.

Is this possible? I get as far as starting up the Plex container but it's never able to locate the server, presumably because it's looking for the currently shutdown Windows instance.

If I stage my data and claim the local server it has all the right settings (baring media paths needing to be fixed), but it's also clearly a new instance: Both appear in my server list with identical names and my pinned sources are broke because they point to the old one.

Edit: It's the Additional Settings. I got lazy and thought I'd just set them manually but it contains identifying information for the Plex instance. Copying all relevant registry key/value pairs into attributes of Preferences.xml got me there.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 29, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does Plex max out at SBS style 3D movie rips, or can you use remux'd files with it too? It's been a while since I messed with 3D and my TV is one of the better ones for showing it off, and my girlfriend coo'd over Dredd 3D on the weekend so wanted to see what my options were.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does Plex max out at SBS style 3D movie rips, or can you use remux'd files with it too? It's been a while since I messed with 3D and my TV is one of the better ones for showing it off, and my girlfriend coo'd over Dredd 3D on the weekend so wanted to see what my options were.

I use my Plex server for a bunch of VR stuff including 3D movies and it seems to be able to handle everything.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dr. Poz posted:

I need to recheck my understanding of what I'm trying to do because I'm running into a wall. I'm moving Plex from Windows to Docker on Linux. For reference I've been following the instructions here. For preface, I'm aware of the difference between paths on Windows and Linux and am competent enough to have setup all the other *arr apps in docker already.

I want to shut down the existing Plex instance, copy my data to the destination folder, start the Plex docker container as the old instance including name.

You're off the map, Dr. Poz. I wouldn't be shocked if someone in this thread had done this, but I'd be surprised.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I did pretty much that exact thing. I just started it up again with the moved database, pointed the existing media libraries at the new paths and rescanned, then emptied trash to get rid of the old stuff. It kept everything.

I'll look at the guide when I have a minute and see if it's what I did.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

njsykora posted:

I use my Plex server for a bunch of VR stuff including 3D movies and it seems to be able to handle everything.

Neat, I'll give it a whirl with a full res file tonight and see if it looks right (and isn't doing that 'Auto 3D' thing it'll do with 2D sources). Client is an Apple TV so that might be the only hurdle as I remember when you'd Blu-Ray players capable of doing 3D rather than regular ones. Thanks!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It’s been a few years since I’ve done it but the library structure is the same regardless of what plex is running on iirc, just the location that’s different. Move the library folder, fire up the container, fix the media targets, done. I don’t recall it being a hugely complicated process.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Kicking the tires on audio books with Prologue as the client and this seems pretty slick. I think the only content I’m not serving via Plex now is photos.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Pillbug
The trick in my case was because of the platform switch. Windows stores the MachineIdentifier (a GUID representing the unique server instance) in the registry along with other "Additional Settings" whereas on Linux they are stored in the Preferences.xml in your Plex data. The guide just says to back them up but gives no mention of a migration path though. I was lazy and thought I'd just set them manually after starting the server but you can't do that with MachineIdentifier which forced me to put in the effort. It only took a minute to copy the registry key/value pairs into attributes of Preferences.xml which allowed the container to stand up as the existing instance, preserving users pins, etc along with watch history.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

univbee posted:

I don't know of a good free solution. I paid for M4VGear, which does work as advertised, however you need to install an old version of iTunes for it and more recent titles (ones that were added to iTunes in the last year or so) can't be downloaded with an old client and bypassed this way. That said, obtaining older titles now does still work for this, they didn't mandate the newer iTunes versions for their back catalog, at least not yet. It's a bit awkward and there are easier options if you're willing to go that route unless something is legitimately only available via iTunes for some reason (in my case a few French dubs exist on iTunes but not elsewhere).

I think free solutions for things of this nature (also stuff like downloading DRM-free copies of videos from Netflix and other streaming sites) don't tend to be a thing because there's an arms race between rippers and the digital content providers, and the less public information is available to the digital content providers the less likely they are to find vulnerabilities that they then patch. In fact I don't think you can even buy a lot of tools that do proper rips, that poo poo stays in-house with online :filez: release groups.

Ok, I appreciate the help. I'm not sure if my files will work with M4VGear, but I'll look into it.

Organic Lube User posted:

Probably easier to figure out how BitTorrent or Usenet work than gently caress around with stripping DRM. Whatever videos you have, they are almost certainly already out there.

I'm looking for something really specific. The original theatrical cut (not extended) of Sin City with portuguese subtitles. I can get that through apple movies plus, but finding subtitles for the original cut online has proved difficult. That said, I think I may have finally found them today on opensubtitles, so maybe this problem is over.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Red and Black posted:

I'm looking for something really specific. The original theatrical cut (not extended) of Sin City with portuguese subtitles. I can get that through apple movies plus, but finding subtitles for the original cut online has proved difficult. That said, I think I may have finally found them today on opensubtitles, so maybe this problem is over.

Are they burned into the image on iTunes, or text subs that you can turn off? The latter is obviously preferable but the format of iTunes subtitles is very screwy and difficult to extract reliably. The easiest way I found was to just do a quick encode in Handbrake, which can convert the subtitles to .rear end format fairly cleanly. Sin City on iTunes is also almost certainly old enough that M4VGear should work once you set it up right with I think iTunes 12.9 if memory serves.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have an Intel NUC which I connect via HDMI to my receiver. The receiver has an eARC connection to my Sony Bravia 4k TV. The NUC works great with Kodi on Win 11, I switch to that input through the receiver and can watch whatever.

I have been having some issues with ARC however, especially with the TV not recognizing the receiver, so I am looking to see if a shield will work.

As I understand it, I can use my NUC as a storage device for the Shield. Rather than play movies direct from the NUC through Kodi, I can switch the input on the receiver to the shield and play through that instead. The shield can also connect via HDMI to the tv, and I can run an optical cable to the receiver from the tv separately, which will remove any ARC issues.

Is that right? I am just trying to get my head around how this would work.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I am using a shield plugged into an x900h with optical from the tv going to into some bookshelf speakers and it works perfelctly

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is local downloading still busted? I'm trying to load up my Android tablet but every file just has the error "There was an error downloading this file" I've tried changing DNS but that doesn't work. I've also heard connecting to a different network helps but this is a wifi only tablet so I can't do that (yes, I created a hotspot using mobile data on my phone, but Plex just told me I had to connect to an unmetered wifi to download)

e: screw it, I'll copy files to SD card and open them with VLC

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 2, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

nexus6 posted:

Is local downloading still busted? I'm trying to load up my Android tablet but every file just has the error "There was an error downloading this file" I've tried changing DNS but that doesn't work. I've also heard connecting to a different network helps but this is a wifi only tablet so I can't do that (yes, I created a hotspot using mobile data on my phone, but Plex just told me I had to connect to an unmetered wifi to download)

e: screw it, I'll copy files to SD card and open them with VLC

sometimes Android doesn't correctly recognize if it's on metered or unmetered wifi. You should be able to go to your wifi settings while connected to the network and flip it manually to unmetered.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Update. I just connected my TV to the receiver using an optical cable, bypassing ARC. Problem solved.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
My Plex server has been running terribly recently, and tonight was unwatchable, so I want to try and fix it. I'm running PMS on a PC which is connected via ethernet to my BT HH5 modem/router. The HH5 has the wifi turned off and i run a Tenda Mesh wifi, from which i use my Android phone to cast Plex to a Chromecast on the 5ghz band. I noticed in PMS that it was defaulting to remote connection, and as that would cause transcoding I turned it off. However, it's now showing the server as "nearby" rather than local, and i can't work out how the hell to get it to recognise the server as being local. I've looked on the official Plex forum but any similar issues quickly descend into technical details I don't understand. My wifi setup casts Amazon Prime etc flawlessly, so it has to be a Plex issue, so any help would be very gratefully received.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

do i need to change my password or was that breach Not That Bad

also i got a roku express and plex is apparently "compatible" but has performance issues on it? if its just the menus being a little slow thats fine

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You should change your password

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also ensure passwords for all your accounts are unique by using a password manager!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

priznat posted:

Also ensure passwords for all your accounts are unique by using a password manager!

those are a scam
i just have all my passwords written down at https://hilbo.zone/passwords.txt

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also a good option!

*reads that page, immediately changes passwords*

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

priznat posted:

Also a good option!

*reads that page, immediately changes passwords*

Dude you're not allowed to read that page. Reported.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Lungboy posted:

My Plex server has been running terribly recently, and tonight was unwatchable, so I want to try and fix it. I'm running PMS on a PC which is connected via ethernet to my BT HH5 modem/router. The HH5 has the wifi turned off and i run a Tenda Mesh wifi, from which i use my Android phone to cast Plex to a Chromecast on the 5ghz band. I noticed in PMS that it was defaulting to remote connection, and as that would cause transcoding I turned it off. However, it's now showing the server as "nearby" rather than local, and i can't work out how the hell to get it to recognise the server as being local. I've looked on the official Plex forum but any similar issues quickly descend into technical details I don't understand. My wifi setup casts Amazon Prime etc flawlessly, so it has to be a Plex issue, so any help would be very gratefully received.

Does the home hub show you connected devices? Can you verify that your phone and the Plex server are both connected to the same subnet?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Has anyone used the user download feature?

I have gigabit symmetric and I'm just wondering how fast someone could download if they wanted to before I tell my buddies they can wantonly download off the thing

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Pillbug
I don't have a lot of remote users, but there are a couple and I like to avoid pitfalls for them. I have standard cable internet and want to make sure native 720p/1080p is what's being served up to them while also handling 4k locally in home. For those who host 4k content, do you manage it in a separate library? I've resisted doing that so far, colacating HD and 4k, because of uncertainty of how I'd even be able to make radarr work with that without spinning up a 4k-specific instance. Maybe I'm missing something? What do you do, if anything, to handle this?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Dr. Poz posted:

I don't have a lot of remote users, but there are a couple and I like to avoid pitfalls for them. I have standard cable internet and want to make sure native 720p/1080p is what's being served up to them while also handling 4k locally in home. For those who host 4k content, do you manage it in a separate library? I've resisted doing that so far, colacating HD and 4k, because of uncertainty of how I'd even be able to make radarr work with that without spinning up a 4k-specific instance. Maybe I'm missing something? What do you do, if anything, to handle this?

Yeah, I just started serving up 4k stuff and this was the easiest way I found to do it. 4k content lives in its own Plex library, this makes it easier to ensure that people that aren't set up for 4k content aren't forcing my server to transcode it down to 1080p, or that you rely on your users knowing to set their version quality. Similarly, a separate instance of Radarr specifically for 4k content so that I can ensure that movies don't upgrade to 4k, eliminating lower res versions.

Overseerr even expects this to be the setup people feed it, you can give it a second Radarr that's designated for 4k content and it will then give you options of "Request Movie" or "Request in 4k" (again, you can manage what users have permission to request 4k content) so it knows which Radarr to send the request to.

It sounded like a pain in the rear end initially but honestly, it's super simple to set up and I've had no issues with it, especially with Overseerr consolidating the frontend so I don't have to flip between Radarr instances when trying to request stuff.

If you do deploy this way though, if you checked the "all libraries" box in Plex for your users when you initially granted them access, you'll need to go back through and uncheck the 4k library, as they'll get access by default.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

hbag posted:

do i need to change my password or was that breach Not That Bad

also i got a roku express and plex is apparently "compatible" but has performance issues on it? if its just the menus being a little slow thats fine

If you're running a remote headless server, make sure you are prepared to "reclaim" your Plex after changing your password. I used https://github.com/ukdtom/ClaimIt.