Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
When I was in the military any liquid besides water had an MSDS attached to the container. That's where I learned that Simple Green detergent is like super-safe, you can get it in your eyes, you can sip some, pretty much anything:

https://cdn.simplegreen.com/downloads/SDS_EN-US_SimpleGreenAllPurposeCleaner.pdf

Also dirt cheap at Home Depot. Nice if you want to give it to kids to clean the house with and not worry about toxicity.

edit: And reading that MSDS more closely I now learned the weird fragrance it has is sassafras.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

When I was in the military any liquid besides water had an MSDS attached to the container. That's where I learned that Simple Green detergent is like super-safe, you can get it in your eyes, you can sip some, pretty much anything:

https://cdn.simplegreen.com/downloads/SDS_EN-US_SimpleGreenAllPurposeCleaner.pdf

Also dirt cheap at Home Depot. Nice if you want to give it to kids to clean the house with and not worry about toxicity.

edit: And reading that MSDS more closely I now learned the weird fragrance it has is sassafras.

That's also used in miniatures to strip paint!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
She needed to get on the other side of the hose

https://i.imgur.com/G9au1hu.mp4
Jayce live action reboot looking good.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

I work for one of the big bolt tensioning firms. We've had customers ask for tensioners to tension bolts forty percent past their yield point and when we explain how incredibly dangerous this is they then tell us something like how we don't know what we're talking about and how he's done this for forty years and it's never been a problem.

This seems to be a uniquely American problem though, never seen it from a European customer. May go someway to explaining why all those us bridges keep falling over.
Don't be silly. None of the bridges in the USA have seen that level of maintenance in the past 40 years. Tension them beyond spec? That would require looking at and doing something to the bridge. Pfffft.

Zero VGS posted:

Another simple and effective spray cleaner is just white vinegar diluted half and half with water. Little sour and will sting the eyes, but not gonna mess up your kids, or turn the frogs straight.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rhuvpfEaSQ1r0uzl6.mp4

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Stupid af but his sense of balance is pretty impressive.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
One day he's gonna gently caress something up spectacularly break something in his body real bad and get mega fat super quick when he's not burning calories lifting anymore but still eating like he is.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

this is flat stupid

Foolhardy
Like free climbing or those Russian skyscraper parkour idiot kids

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Spinz posted:

this is flat stupid

Foolhardy

Three great band names and an album title in one post. :eyepop:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

I was hoping the last 10 seconds was going to revisit each one of them eating poo poo one after the other.
I hate dudes doing sketchy "look at me!" poo poo in gyms.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I prefer this version
https://i.imgur.com/OVLwyIs.mp4

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The "NEVERFUCKINGQUIT" shirt really brings it all together.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

Life hack: avoid drowning in small ponds by learning how to swim.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

OK I'll do it

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

bertolt rekt posted:

Life hack: avoid drowning in small ponds by learning how to swim.
People who know how to swim still drown in rivers a lot due to the fact there's a ton of poo poo hidden under the surface they can impact when diving or get tangled in.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

EvilJoven posted:

One day he's gonna gently caress something up spectacularly break something in his body real bad and get mega fat super quick when he's not burning calories lifting anymore but still eating like he is.

Spinz posted:

this is flat stupid

Foolhardy

aas Bandit posted:

I was hoping the last 10 seconds was going to revisit each one of them eating poo poo one after the other.

Lmao ok goons. Its a joke. Stop wishing for him to get fat or hurt himself lmao goddamn.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pickled Tink posted:

People who know how to swim still drown in rivers a lot due to the fact there's a ton of poo poo hidden under the surface they can impact when diving or get tangled in.

I recently learned if you get tossed from a raft you shouldn't try to stand up because you can get your foot stuck between rocks and held under.

I'm not going rafting ever. I doubt I can make the right reactions when I get tossed overboard.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Poohs Packin posted:

Lmao ok goons. Its a joke. Stop wishing for him to get fat or hurt himself lmao goddamn.

There's several guys like him who make shitloads of content like that for tik tok, it's all planned and I am sure there is like dozens of hours of him practicing that no one ever sees.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cc_CIQGAMZf/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This guy is an absolute beast and he sometimes posts behind the scenes videos like this where he shows that sometimes a shot takes a ton of attempts.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

drat that guy is a monster. One hand DLs lmao.

You can't get like that without a lifetime of dedicated training and its cool hes got a sense of humour about it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

aas Bandit posted:

This is literally the joke that he is making op

PainterofCrap posted:

OK I'll do it

This one is a little :chloe:

StormDrain posted:

I recently learned if you get tossed from a raft you shouldn't try to stand up because you can get your foot stuck between rocks and held under.

I'm not going rafting ever. I doubt I can make the right reactions when I get tossed overboard.
Rafting is awesome and you should give it a try if you're in a place where it's an option. The main thing to remember in a self-rescue scenario, whether it's after getting tossed from a raft or just finding yourself too far into the current while swimming in a river, is lay on your back with your feet pointed downstream. You can see what you're approaching, your feet are up out of the way of entrapment hazards, your face and head stay above water more easily, and you can backstroke toward the bank, preserving energy.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Transformerfuckling!

A 250.000kg high voltage transported was going to be rolled into a somewhat remote place by paving a field in the Frysian countryside with some kind of plastic boards. Over the course of one and a half years they planned the whole process, they did research into how much pressure the soil could withstand, and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvcMpyRkMlc&t=103s

*flop*

Camera guy is really lucky he didn't stand any closer. I would have absolutely shat myself if i saw that absolute unit come at me, but the camera guy didn't even do one step back?

It is not yet known how they're gonna get that 250 ton piece of iron and copper out of its place in the soggy ground. It damaged a water mains that was buried underground, because in its fall it sank into the ground a bit because dutch countryside soil is very soft and muddy.

It's also not yet know why the whole thing sank in the first place. Perhaps that water mains was already leaky, causing a very localized weak spot. The whole rig seems to have traveled a decent distance without issue, only sinking away in that specific place.

I love how you can see how the soil got displaced by the huge local pressure the transformer puts on it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LimaBiker posted:

Transformerfuckling!

A 250.000kg high voltage transported was going to be rolled into a somewhat remote place by paving a field in the Frysian countryside with some kind of plastic boards. Over the course of one and a half years they planned the whole process, they did research into how much pressure the soil could withstand, and...

*flop*

Camera guy is really lucky he didn't stand any closer. I would have absolutely shat myself if i saw that absolute unit come at me, but the camera guy didn't even do one step back?

It is not yet known how they're gonna get that 250 ton piece of iron and copper out of its place in the soggy ground. It damaged a water mains that was buried underground, because in its fall it sank into the ground a bit because dutch countryside soil is very soft and muddy.

It's also not yet know why the whole thing sank in the first place. Perhaps that water mains was already leaky, causing a very localized weak spot. The whole rig seems to have traveled a decent distance without issue, only sinking away in that specific place.

I love how you can see how the soil got displaced by the huge local pressure the transformer puts on it.

It looks like a barge in a muddy canal, but the digger and people standing on the "water" makes it all rather surreal.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my idea: helium balloons, and lots of them

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mozi posted:

my idea: helium balloons, and lots of them

Yeah! Fulton that bastard out

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LimaBiker posted:

Transformerfuckling!

*flop*

Looks like a Global Stability type failure.

I imagine the load calculations were mostly around "Will the heavy load squish down into the ground" and that they didn't do a detailed global stability analysis including a modeling of the ditch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other utilities said I was daft to build a substation on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That shorted out, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one stayed up!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Devor posted:

Looks like a Global Stability type failure.

I imagine the load calculations were mostly around "Will the heavy load squish down into the ground" and that they didn't do a detailed global stability analysis including a modeling of the ditch.

I really wonder. I would LOVE to read the official studies. It shouldn't be that a random internet dude knows more than a company that's hired to do the work, but at the same time it really wouldn't surprise me and i start wondering how much the engineering world works like i do as a hobby, just using ballpark figures and trial and error because hey, my hobby stuff isn't dangerous if it fails.

haveblue posted:

When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other utilities said I was daft to build a substation on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That shorted out, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one stayed up!
It took a lot of flooding before the netherlands as a whole remained mostly water-free!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Transformers of that size are all built to order and very expensive with long lead times. It's capital equipment for utilities.
Those guys will have all the time they need to figure out what went wrong before they get the next transformer to try it on.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

This one apparently was pulled from a different substation or construction project because it was more urgently needed somewhere else. It was in the books valued at 2,5 million euro.

As funny and surreal as it is to see such a thing flopped over, i genuinely feel bad for the guys running the national grid, because this is a Real Problem, and they've had their fair share of Real Problems already.
Especially considering there needs to be massive investments into the grid already to keep up with changing from natural gas to electrics for heating.

Perhaps they should put a temporary dam around the whole area, flood it, and then use a bigass barge to move in a crane, and another barge to float the transformer to its destination.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 9, 2022

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LimaBiker posted:

I really wonder. I would LOVE to read the official studies. It shouldn't be that a random internet dude knows more than a company that's hired to do the work, but at the same time it really wouldn't surprise me and i start wondering how much the engineering world works like i do as a hobby, just using ballpark figures and trial and error because hey, my hobby stuff isn't dangerous if it fails.

It took a lot of flooding before the netherlands as a whole remained mostly water-free!

Oh, no, their geotechnical dudes would 100% know the problem when you show them the picture.

It's just an unusual type of analysis to pair with a subgrade stability analysis that they used to come up with the plastic sheeting solution to make sure the wheels didn't get bogged down.

So I would say it's either:

1. Failed to consider global stability, since it's unusual for loads on flat ground to cause that type of problem
2. Used bad assumptions in global stability (how the ditch would affect it)
2a. Latent/hidden defect causing the bad assumption in 2

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

haveblue posted:

Someday, son, all of this will be yours.

What, the OSHA violations?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

haveblue posted:

Tangentially related, What If? just put up a new update this week looking at how many cars one would need to drive across the Atlantic Ocean.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/160/

Trillions.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/q9DvXU7.mp4

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

this is the OSHA thread, not the rad-as-gently caress thread

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Yeah, this being the OSHA thread, my first thought when he hit the ramp was "oh God a snuff film"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Yeah, this being the OSHA thread, my first thought when he hit the ramp was "oh God a snuff film"

Well it still is because he totally killed it

e: Maybe the OSHA is the dangerously high rad levels

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 9, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

gotcha :hehe:

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
Working safely in my basement office where I start hearing sirens and booms. I need some more PPE down here...

Not my picture, but I can see the plume...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Harry_Potato posted:

Working safely in my basement office where I start hearing sirens and booms. I need some more PPE down here...

Those cars are probably junk now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harry_Potato posted:

I guess they bought a Tesla