Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/MLBPA_News/status/1568278873216794630?t=rigolTNbG0Snvo-Ibji_PA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Derek Jeter always struck me as a huge rear end in a top hat.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Rob Manfred hear me out

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
You don’t have to fix your batting gloves every loving swing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Craptacular! posted:

I wonder where it really took off. I'm not an AL guy, but Jeter always seemed to act like all his gear was coming unhinged with each swing, and that's the first time I really noticed.

Same timeframe, but Nomar Garciaparra was way worse than Jeter.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

I wonder where it really took off. I'm not an AL guy, but Jeter always seemed to act like all his gear was coming unhinged with each swing, and that's the first time I really noticed.

Normar Garciaparra is my guess.

He's the first I remember to exit the box after every pitch to redo his gloves. He was mocked then but now everybody does it.

The walk-up music limiter doesn't bother me because 10 seconds should be long enough to get from on deck to the plate. From covering high school games, the distance is shorter, but rarely do you hear more than about 3-5 seconds of a song. (Yes, walk-up music is well established now for that age baseball and softball.) Plus, it eliminates any problems of something not being familiy friendly. One kid used the opening bit of The Spins a couple of years ago. It's a great walk-up, but after those intial seconds, it's probably not something you'd want played at most games.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 9, 2022

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ryan Braun was a huge rear end in a top hat about pace too iirc.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I guess I'm ambivalent to most of these rule changes. The pitch/hitter clock is good and seems to work fine in the minors and actually noticeably speeds up the game in that regard. Major league players will adjust and get used to it and minor leaguers coming up have already experienced it. Joey Votto standing in the batters box and not moving his feet is an all time highlight reel for what should be a normal loving occurrence.

I've seen a ton of games slow down to a crawl when pitchers start throwing to first more than they throw home. So yeah limiting pickoffs may lead to more stolen base attempts, is that a bad thing? Stolen base attempts have dropped substantially in the last 20 years and maybe it leads to a different skillset player getting more opportunities as teams are more willing to carry a speedy defensive replacement/pinch runner type year round instead of just in the postseason. Honestly making the bases 3" bigger will have just as big an effect as anything in increasing SBs.

Artificially limiting where defensive players can stand is dumb and the review process for checking to see where the 2b/ss were standing the second the pitcher begins his delivery frame by frame will finally eclipse the runner popping off the bag one millimeter as the dumbest thing in the sport. I feel the onus should be on hitters to hit the ball where the defense isn't but I also don't want big power hitting lefties trying to bunt and getting their hands broken on a 95mph sinker. The SS/2B can still shift to play basically behind the bag which is still quite a bit from the normal straight up alignment and shifting hasn't really made any difference in BABIP or xBA anyways I don't think.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mustached Demon posted:

Ryan Braun was a huge rear end in a top hat about pace too iirc.
Just one of many reasons to like him

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Popete posted:

What am I missing? You have 2 chances to pick a guy off after that pitchers are not going to throw over because if you don't get him it's a ball. That's a huge advantage to the runner if he knows you're very unlikely to throw over.

If you get him on the pickoff that's beyond two it counts as an out and no balk, because otherwise you are correct he could just take a lead halfway to the next base

So he still has to stay reasonably close. It's definitely an advantage though.

I'm also a little concerned about the potential for injury over the bigger bases, I'm not even sure what problem that's trying to solve

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
The pickoff rule actually seems pretty good to me? Like, if the pitcher's thrown his two pickoffs then the runner might think he's safe to take a bigger lead, but the further he takes it the easier it'll be for the pitcher to make that third one a success. Seems like it'll add at least a little strategy there since both players' considerations will actually shift, versus throwing to first over and over and over and over with no change in conditions.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Incredible that MLB thinks the best way to get new fans is with weird rules that have tiny minutiae

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Trying to figure out if MLB is heading towards Bananaball or Blernsball.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Kyle Seager was also notorious for wasting time in the batter's box. Hell, he even managed to piss off Jered Weaver doing it and Jered Weaver never gets angry!

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Normar Garciaparra is my guess.

He's the first I remember to exit the box after every pitch to redo his gloves. He was mocked then but now everybody does it.
Mike Hargrove was nicknamed The Human Rain Delay. Of course that was back when this behavior was odd enough for people to give him a whole nickname for it.

quote:

He also attained the nickname "The Human Rain Delay" for his deliberate routine at the plate before each at-bat and before each pitch. He irritated pitchers by stepping out of the batter's box after each pitch and starting his routine, which consisted of (1) adjusting his helmet, (2) adjusting his batting glove, making sure it was tight on his hand and especially the thumb, (3) pulling each sleeve on his uniform up about an inch, and (4) wiping each hand on his uniform pants – and then sometimes repeating the whole process again – before finally settling back into the box.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah Nomar is the first guy I remember readjusting between pitches and I’d say it was pretty widespread ~2007. I’m hesitantly optimistic about the pitch clock, but I wouldn’t say it’s addressing a recent issue that players failed to take into their own hands.

I can’t remember if it was balwfuls or someone else who posted charts months ago, but I feel like batters redoing all their poo poo has actually eased up from the days of the 5-hour Yankees-Red Sox games.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I WILL NEVER CALL IT THE loving ZOMBIE RUNNER!!!!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dinosaurs! posted:

Yeah Nomar is the first guy I remember readjusting between pitches and I’d say it was pretty widespread ~2007. I’m hesitantly optimistic about the pitch clock, but I wouldn’t say it’s addressing a recent issue that players failed to take into their own hands.

I can’t remember if it was balwfuls or someone else who posted charts months ago, but I feel like batters redoing all their poo poo has actually eased up from the days of the 5-hour Yankees-Red Sox games.

They should ban velcro batting gloves.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I stopped listening to EW when every episode had the exact same 20 minute ramble/rant about the correct term for the runner on 2nd.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fast cars loose anus posted:

If you get him on the pickoff that's beyond two it counts as an out and no balk, because otherwise you are correct he could just take a lead halfway to the next base

So he still has to stay reasonably close. It's definitely an advantage though.

I'm also a little concerned about the potential for injury over the bigger bases, I'm not even sure what problem that's trying to solve

it's actually trying to reduce injuries from collisions by giving both sides more space to do stuff, especially at first base

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The walk up music rule is just straight up anti-fun, gently caress you MLB fans love their boy's music hits. Did they just completely miss the whole Diaz hype this year???

The pickoff rule also sucks rear end because a) it's just a free stolen base and b) it is extremely funny when a guy throws 3-4 pickoffs and the whole stadium starts relentlessly booing him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

(guy with the nerdiest voice ever recorded) um actually technically it's a eheheheheheh zombie runner because let's break it down for 45 minutes here, item one

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Runner at 2nd name debate is the "Die Hard is a Christmas movie" argument of baseball.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my take on the rules is that it is going to be incredibly funny the first time some red rear end pitcher is busted for a pitch clock violation and goes nutso.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

R.D. Mangles posted:

my take on the rules is that it is going to be incredibly funny the first time some red rear end pitcher is busted for a pitch clock violation and goes nutso.

With a 5 minute delay as the pitcher and manager end up getting ejected and then a reliever needs to be warmed up and brought in.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

I hope it’s Madbum

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

R.D. Mangles posted:

(guy with the nerdiest voice ever recorded) um actually technically it's a eheheheheheh zombie runner because let's break it down for 45 minutes here, item one

we need a Nate Duncan + EW crossover to really get deep into the weeds.

Sadly they will never implement the rule I would like to see most (Regular season games end in ties, no extras until postseason). Everything else I'm ambivalent to positive on.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they already changed the rules to take everything from me (approximately 80 kyle Hendricks at bats where he strikes out looking or slowly rolling the ball back to the pitcher) they can't hurt me anymore.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Gerblederp posted:

I hope it’s Madbum

Not because I dislike him but because I want to see it, I hope it's Scherzer

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

they already changed the rules to take everything from me (approximately 80 kyle Hendricks at bats where he strikes out looking or slowly rolling the ball back to the pitcher) they can't hurt me anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ6yfua41uI&t=2174s

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

I feel bad because he’s passionate and knowledgeable about baseball, but his voice is pretty lacking for the co-host role.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Popete posted:

Runner at 2nd name debate is the "Die Hard is a Christmas movie" argument of baseball.

lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dinosaurs! posted:

I feel bad because he’s passionate and knowledgeable about baseball, but his voice is pretty lacking for the co-host role.

I like Ben Lindbergh a lot, I really liked his book about the stompers, and I even like EW from time to time, hell I have an unlistenable nered voice myself, but i felt the need to "get his rear end."

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
All these rules trying to make the game shorter and they didn't even bring back the bullpen cars. Shameful.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Eldoop posted:

The pickoff rule actually seems pretty good to me? Like, if the pitcher's thrown his two pickoffs then the runner might think he's safe to take a bigger lead, but the further he takes it the easier it'll be for the pitcher to make that third one a success. Seems like it'll add at least a little strategy there since both players' considerations will actually shift, versus throwing to first over and over and over and over with no change in conditions.

The issue with it at least at first is going to be less the pickoff strategy than the fact that various other things count as "disengagements" and so pitchers are gonna lose track and end up balking people, or umpires will lose track and gently caress up somehow

IcePhoenix posted:

it's actually trying to reduce injuries from collisions by giving both sides more space to do stuff, especially at first base

I see. Makes sense but I bet that's weird. When you've been doing something your whole life even a change that seems small like that can throw you off a lot.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just realized the Astros are projected to win 100+ this year. I guess the window isn't closing just yet!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I think the pickoff rule will piss someone off more than the pitch clock. I didn't realize it also counts look offs too, so you know someone is gonna do that and then get a balk called on them

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The pitch clock is cool and good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1568276946479624192

It's official, bigger bases too. The players on the committee for what it's worth unanimously voted against the changes but apparently MLB can just do it anyway because gently caress da players I guess, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

bees x1000 posted:

The pitch clock is cool and good.