Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mcqueen posted:

Y’all play 2 putt max on freshly punched greens or no?

Nah, but even though I'm not in a match with folks, I'll be loudly conceding any shortish putt.

If I were in a match or something, two putt max makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mcqueen posted:

Nah, but I'm a masochist on the golf course.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mcqueen posted:

Only if I miss the 2nd putt :v:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I hate punched greens so much I'm currently drinking in the airport lounge in Auckland waiting for my flight to Australia so I can play golf on some non-punched greens.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
One of my local favorites has punched greens 5 times this year. They're immaculate, but drat.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm amazed they get people coming back if their greens suck 10-15 weeks a year.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

BCRock posted:

I hate punched greens so much I'm currently drinking in the airport lounge in Auckland waiting for my flight to Australia so I can play golf on some non-punched greens.

Ohh where are you playing?

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
It's been too drat hot to practice anything but putting inside the house. Am I practicing putting? Hell no!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Halo14 posted:

Ohh where are you playing?

The girlfriend's parents live in Brisbane and are big golfers. This is my first trip to Australia, so l let them work out the golf schedule, which is all over the Queensland coast.

They're members at a course is called Redland Bay CC. We played 9 there on the first day and will go back for a full 18 at the end of the trip. The course is pretty average conditions-wise, but the setting is amazing. There's an insane amount of birds everywhere and the noise from all of them is nothing like I've experienced playing in America.

We're off to Noosa now to play Noosa Springs, which is supposed to be a very nice resort style course. Then Royal Pines next week, where they hold some Australian PGA event every year. Maybe another round at Brookwater before we leave if we can squeeze it in, but the gf and I are spending next week in Sydney and leaving the clubs behind so no golf there.

I'll post a pic dump after the trip.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'm off to Pinehurst, the Pines courses, tobacco road, and the president's cup for the next 2 weeks. Going to be the biggest golf trip I've ever taken. Also debating whether I want to try to squeeze in a round at either duke or the UNC course but I might be 100% exhausted by the time I'm all done.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Capco posted:

I'm off to Pinehurst, the Pines courses, tobacco road, and the president's cup for the next 2 weeks. Going to be the biggest golf trip I've ever taken. Also debating whether I want to try to squeeze in a round at either duke or the UNC course but I might be 100% exhausted by the time I'm all done.
I like UNC but I love Duke. Much more walkable old school course though not short by any means, 7154 yds from the tips.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

BCRock posted:

I'll post a pic dump after the trip.

Awesome. Some top courses in the Gold Coast area. Think I’ve played them all apart from Royal Pines, plan on doing so the next time I visit.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

I like UNC but I love Duke. Much more walkable old school course though not short by any means, 7154 yds from the tips.

Yeah If I make the drive from pinehurst up there I'll probably just end up trying to play both if possible. Not sure when I'll ever be back in the area so I might as well.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

BCRock posted:

.We're off to Noosa now to play Noosa Springs, which is supposed to be a very nice resort style course.

If you go inland and up the mountain range from the coast Maleny is a nice course with plenty to do and see around it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dr. Capco posted:

What are your feelings for tobacco road?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Lesson today. Hoping I can find out whatever I have jedi-mindfucked myself with my swing. I have ZERO confidence on any shot right now.

I played 9 holes monday, the place was dead, so I played three balls. At one point, I couldn't hit a fairway with three balls. I took three balls from 100 yards away with a 50 degree, flat lie center of the fairway. One skulled over the green, the second 10 yards short, the third pin high and about 10 yards off the green. I'm over that poo poo.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

Lesson today. Hoping I can find out whatever I have jedi-mindfucked myself with my swing. I have ZERO confidence on any shot right now.

Good luck, I'm taking a lesson tomorrow because I've totally lost the ability to hit driver.

I had a round that could have been sub-80 if I had driven the ball well over the weekend that turned into a 91. I hit one fairway and it was a 150 yard pop up. I scrambled really well and still managed to claw out 7 pars and a birdie (par 3 tbf), but I had to lay up on half a dozen par 4s and think I only putted for birdie on one par 5.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

We decided to make a change of swing path and I can execute it about every three swings when i played, but I got time to hammer it home on the range later. I had no idea the swing was as round as it was. I always thought you were pulling the club as straight down the line as possible. Of course all in my upper body.

This is an enormous change and it's kind of shocking to be pushing the ball out as much as it is. I think I have been pull fading for the last 25 years.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Shot a 78 this weekend, I’m trying to ingrain the swing feel I had

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Is there anything I should look out for when it comes to checking in my golf clubs on a plane? I'm only considering it since it costs less than renting them but I don't know if I have to do anything else to them so they don't break or something on the way. I bought a travel bag second hand, and I'm thinking of buying covers for my irons so they don't get scratched up in transit. I have TM sim2 irons if that matters.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

lloyol posted:

Is there anything I should look out for when it comes to checking in my golf clubs on a plane? I'm only considering it since it costs less than renting them but I don't know if I have to do anything else to them so they don't break or something on the way. I bought a travel bag second hand, and I'm thinking of buying covers for my irons so they don't get scratched up in transit. I have TM sim2 irons if that matters.

Your irons should be fine. I use a soft case with one of the umbrella style inserts. Definitely take the heads off your driver and fairway woods and pack them separately, they’re at the most risk of snapping being the longest clubs. I’ve flown with mine half a dozen times now with no issues.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I play the reds because i'm a one handed golfer and i'm good with that- i prefer getting to the part of the game where i actually have some level of control.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

lloyol posted:

No iron covers needed. Wind a towel in and around the shafts if you're worried.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

lloyol posted:

An Apple air tag so you can make sure the clubs get on the plane and actually get delivered to the correct destination.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Farking Bastage posted:

This is an enormous change and it's kind of shocking to be pushing the ball out as much as it is. I think I have been pull fading for the last 25 years.

Will take many repetitions at the range, you’ll be very frustrated on the course for a while but trust in the process. Such fundamental changes to how you approach the swing are hard but rewarding. When it eventually all clicks it will be effortless power and control.

The whole point is to make it automatic when under pressure. At least that’s what the guy teaching me says. Practice with purpose and a goal, enough reps and you’ll rid yourself of all the wasted motions and it will just happen when the shot has consequence on the course.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

^^ I got on the range this morning and grooved it.

It's starting to click more and more. Also I'm figuring out how to turn better so I'm not pushing it quite so severely. I stopped by the shop afterwards looking to modernize my 15 year old three wood. I saw a Callaway Mavrik there with the same accoutrements as my driver that was a 90 day return for $175. Using that new swing I had just practiced for two hours earlier I proceeded to smack about ten in a row 200 yard carry at around 135mph ball speed 15deg launch and under 300 rpm sidespin.

Gave everything a good scrub and ready for some lower scores.

It's FINALLY starting to cool off a little, so my Florida Golf season is about to begin in earnest. No matter what happens, golf is not much fun when the heat index(feels like) is 110+.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I did a TSR fitting and trackman measured me around 105mph club head speed, maxing out at 107mph.

Just 5 years ago I was at 113mph, maxing at 115mph :negative:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Josh Lyman posted:

I did a TSR fitting and trackman measured me around 105mph club head speed, maxing out at 107mph.

Just 5 years ago I was at 113mph, maxing at 115mph :negative:

Could be worse! You could be Danny Willett right now. 72nd hole, leading by 1, knocks it to 4 ft in 3 on a par 5. Max Homa, down by 1, is off the green short left.

Max does this:

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1571631150040338434

Danny does this:

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1571635413462257666

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Anno posted:

Could be worse! You could be Danny Willett right now. 72nd hole, leading by 1, knocks it to 4 ft in 3 on a par 5. Max Homa, down by 1, is off the green short left.

Max does this:

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1571631150040338434

Danny does this:

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1571635413462257666

I've always said " I can three-putt from anywhere! "

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
This is precisely why I tell people not to give me any gimmies unless we're doing match play. If the pros can miss these, you bet your rear end you're going to miss the short ones under pressure unless you practice.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Farking Bastage posted:

^^ I got on the range this morning and grooved it.

It's starting to click more and more. Also I'm figuring out how to turn better so I'm not pushing it quite so severely. I stopped by the shop afterwards looking to modernize my 15 year old three wood. I saw a Callaway Mavrik there with the same accoutrements as my driver that was a 90 day return for $175. Using that new swing I had just practiced for two hours earlier I proceeded to smack about ten in a row 200 yard carry at around 135mph ball speed 15deg launch and under 300 rpm sidespin.

Good stuff mate. I have the Mavrik in a driver and it's a fantastic head. Earlier this year I changed shaft to a Tensei AV RAW Orange. It's counter balanced (more weight towards the hands) and for me it's helped a lot with control - dispersion is way better. Also bought a similar shaft for my 5 wood. It's interesting re. shafts - my driver swing is 110-114 and that Tensei is just a stiff flex. The balance is more important to me I guess.

Actually went to a fitting session and the Mavrik numbers all but matched the TM Stealth minus about 5 meters. With the boutique shaft they wanted like $1,600 AUD. Told them I'm not paying that much for 5 extra meters lol

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Just in time for winter, I'm finding my game.

Last year I had a low of 92 and averaged around 97-103. After some lessons and lots of loving around I've shot 89 twice and a bad round is around 93. HCP is down to 18.7.

If my ball striking and putting would just line up for one of these rounds I think I'd easily shoot ~85... Last time I played I shot 91 but only used 28 putts and made some great chips. Had 5 lost balls because I couldn't hit my irons...

Today I shot 89 but had a bunch of 3 putts that brought my total to 36 but my irons were going REALLY well. 5 iron is carrying 200, everything going mostly straight, etc.

Love this game but hate it at the same time.

Anyone struggling: lessons, lessons, lessons with a qualified coach.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Tried my hand in a club championship.

After round 1, only 3 players (myself included) broke 80. The course is very penal off the tee (narrow, tree-lined, no drivers on par 5s if you're keeping it in play).

I was 3 back of the leader on the first tee today. We both hit good drives, and I hit a full wedge to 6 feet. He chunked his and made bogey while I underread the break. We trade birdies on 2, and I'm feeling good.

And then I flushed an iron on 3 that one hopped past a back pin and into jail. Made double, and I wasn't close for the rest of the day.

This dude was:
- the only person to break 80 today,
- 2 better than his day 1 score,
- 11 clear of 2nd, 12 clear of me.

I didn't play competitive golf in school, but you're never too old to learn that there's always someone better.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
There is always a better golfer. My cousin is a teaching pro who routinely breaks 75 and he played against one of the higher ranked Indiana amateurs in a for fun match and got dusted by 6 shots. Golf is really hard.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Punched greens again.

So, I'm chatting with the other single in our foursome, and were laughing at the greens. On 2, he missed a four footer with the typical bouncing. We commiserate, and agree that no putts will be made that day.

I dropped a thirty footer for birdie on 3. Chip to 15 feet on four, drain it. I have a twenty footer for par a couple of holes later, and the rest of the group tells me to pick it up, laughing. Drain it.

I hit at least seven or eight putts of 15 feet or more, and missed nothing inside 6 feet.

Note: I'm pretty sure I took a double dose of my blood pressure medicine. Couldn't bend over, dark vision, dizzy. Hitting a full strength shot was a mental exercise in forcing myself to not be lazy. My focus was good, played well, but I do not recommend it.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Capco posted:

There is always a better golfer. My cousin is a teaching pro who routinely breaks 75 and he played against one of the higher ranked Indiana amateurs in a for fun match and got dusted by 6 shots. Golf is really hard.

So true. I recently played matchplay against a +2 handicap 13yo. He got me on the 17th 2&1 and I was quite proud of that. I mean I have a day job and all hahaha

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

The 43 I shot after work today was similar to a lot of the low 40's I typically shoot in that my pars are still mostly predicated on chipping it tight, but I was nowhere near as frustrated. The ball is flying right now with the new swing with everything down to a 9 iron. My wedges however... short, short and more short. I hit two balls on one approach with a gap wedge and a pitching wedge after getting a little annoyed missing another green from 100 out. Both balls went about 80 yards and landed within 5 feet of each other. :psypop:

Not sure why my wedges are going so short, but it does feel like I'm almost cutting the grass out from under them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Blading wedges is super easy to do, yeah. Been a problem of mine for a while now. you may be a little too close to the ball and just digging right under.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
If you're losing distance on your wedges, and you feel like cutting under the ball, then you're scooping it. You're delivering the wedge (already a high-lofted club) with more loft at the ball than you need.

At impact, feel like your lead wrist is bowed like you're trying to backhand the golf ball down into the ground. This will present the clubhead to the ball with less loft, and less loft = more distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I had a half hour range session where I hit all my drives straight and far.

And then proceeded to slice every drive on the course like 200 yards.

Golf!