Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

day-gas posted:

slavery was "necessary", dude what

Wading in here with a hazmat suit. Please don't murder me too hard, this is just some ramblings about history and labor I've observed.

Throughout history, in every single culture, there's always been the "exploitable labor" class, people who were smack dab at the bottom of the totem pole, and given all the poo poo jobs to do for little pay. Ever since the first caveman tribe beat up another one and had the losers cleaning the latrines, all the way to the modern day migrant farm worker, every society has their exploitable labor class.

Now, it's historically taken a hundred and one forms. Migrant workers. Serfs, bonded to the land. Chattle slaves, worked like property. Normal slaves, usually the losers of the latest war. Indentured servants, the low men on the communist totem pole, caste systems, wage "slaves", the list is endless. But no matter the society, it doesn't take much to find the exploited class.

Naturally, the rest of the culture rests upon the work of this lower exploited class. I've used American migrant workers a few times now. If they all vanished overnight, America would likely encounter a significant food crises. If enough labor was able to be reshuffled to save all the harvests, food prices would merely skyrocket, instead of a famine. Most people just ignore how corn and strawberries can be so drat cheap, and don't like hearing that it's based off of exploited labor, the same people so many Americans condemn in the same breath as being 'lazy job stealers'. Kicking the lowest class while they're down is a time-honored tradition across cultures.

slavery itself wasn't 'necessary', but the bulk of the time the "slaves", in the thousands of different ways it came about (On a wild tangent - I'm glad in a way that there's only one word to describe 'slave', as opposed to the seven or eight different types of words that could be appropriate if it was a larger piece of the English language), formed the backbone of the country's labor. The institution isn't necessary as a whole for civilizations to thrive, but it was "necessary" for most civilizations that had slaves, to continue having slaves. Otherwise, if they all vanished one day? Mass starvation, riots, etc. etc.

Hell, look at Rome. Some of the tamest versions of slavery around (Slaves got nominally paid - ignoring how corrupt it was in practice - and would usually go home to their own family at the end of the day, along with enjoying other benefits). Yet, the empire was nearly brought to its knees repeatedly from slave rebellions, and those weren't exactly full empire-spanning rebellions! It was "Necessary" for Rome to use slaves to continue as a civilization. They just didn't have the infrastructure or culture in place to have a different options.

In an entirely different sense of the word "Necessary" though, Rome didn't *need* to use slaves. In theory, they could have tried to abolish the practice, and tried... something else. Some other method of having a lower class citizen do their dirty work.

Who? And why? Gotta be a carrot or a stick. I keep ending up at "financially incentivize people to become the lower class", ala migrant workers and wage slaves, who have no choice but to work or starve, or "make your former enemy do it at the tip of a spear"

The last note I'll have on slavery - people love screaming bloody murder about how terrible it was, but mention serfs or indentured servants, and there's only a fraction of the kneejerk on the topic, in spite of the practice being, historically, on average, worse.

Pay people what they're worth, and what their work is worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if only someone had framed some kind of view of historical socioeconomics in such a way as to explain why this power dynamic reoccurs and continues to exist into the modern day

day-gas
Dec 16, 2020

Selkie Myth posted:

Wading in here with a hazmat suit. Please don't murder me too hard, this is just some ramblings about history and labor I've observed.

Throughout history, in every single culture, there's always been the "exploitable labor" class, people who were smack dab at the bottom of the totem pole, and given all the poo poo jobs to do for little pay. Ever since the first caveman tribe beat up another one and had the losers cleaning the latrines, all the way to the modern day migrant farm worker, every society has their exploitable labor class.

Now, it's historically taken a hundred and one forms. Migrant workers. Serfs, bonded to the land. Chattle slaves, worked like property. Normal slaves, usually the losers of the latest war. Indentured servants, the low men on the communist totem pole, caste systems, wage "slaves", the list is endless. But no matter the society, it doesn't take much to find the exploited class.

Naturally, the rest of the culture rests upon the work of this lower exploited class. I've used American migrant workers a few times now. If they all vanished overnight, America would likely encounter a significant food crises. If enough labor was able to be reshuffled to save all the harvests, food prices would merely skyrocket, instead of a famine. Most people just ignore how corn and strawberries can be so drat cheap, and don't like hearing that it's based off of exploited labor, the same people so many Americans condemn in the same breath as being 'lazy job stealers'. Kicking the lowest class while they're down is a time-honored tradition across cultures.

slavery itself wasn't 'necessary', but the bulk of the time the "slaves", in the thousands of different ways it came about (On a wild tangent - I'm glad in a way that there's only one word to describe 'slave', as opposed to the seven or eight different types of words that could be appropriate if it was a larger piece of the English language), formed the backbone of the country's labor. The institution isn't necessary as a whole for civilizations to thrive, but it was "necessary" for most civilizations that had slaves, to continue having slaves. Otherwise, if they all vanished one day? Mass starvation, riots, etc. etc.

Hell, look at Rome. Some of the tamest versions of slavery around (Slaves got nominally paid - ignoring how corrupt it was in practice - and would usually go home to their own family at the end of the day, along with enjoying other benefits). Yet, the empire was nearly brought to its knees repeatedly from slave rebellions, and those weren't exactly full empire-spanning rebellions! It was "Necessary" for Rome to use slaves to continue as a civilization. They just didn't have the infrastructure or culture in place to have a different options.

In an entirely different sense of the word "Necessary" though, Rome didn't *need* to use slaves. In theory, they could have tried to abolish the practice, and tried... something else. Some other method of having a lower class citizen do their dirty work.

Who? And why? Gotta be a carrot or a stick. I keep ending up at "financially incentivize people to become the lower class", ala migrant workers and wage slaves, who have no choice but to work or starve, or "make your former enemy do it at the tip of a spear"

The last note I'll have on slavery - people love screaming bloody murder about how terrible it was, but mention serfs or indentured servants, and there's only a fraction of the kneejerk on the topic, in spite of the practice being, historically, on average, worse.

Pay people what they're worth, and what their work is worth.

Oh yeah I totally get you, and I understand your argument here - Rome built a society on slavery and I've read a lot about it. This dude would take any argument that Rome didn't literally have to have slavery to exist as wrong because he's a loving moron. Using the word "necessary" and then talkin bout IQ is like "it's necessary become some are more equal than others" kinda poo poo. Actually typing this out he absolutely thinks eugenics is a great idea, no chance he doesn't.

Not that you didn't know all that but you're venting and I'm venting here. Thinking back on his writing today is revealing a lot of red flags I barreled past and ugh.

On a happier note the Jackal Among Snakes guy has hit full patreon funding and seems to be doing well mentally while keeping his writing very sharp. Watching BoC and OVDT experience burnout has been pretty sobering so it's nice to see an author who appears to be dealing with the tempo they set.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Selkie Myth posted:

In theory, they could have tried to abolish the practice, and tried... something else. Some other method of having a lower class citizen do their dirty work.

they did once the borders stopped expanding and conquest dried up as a source of slaves. the relatively tame legal structures and social norms around slavery that you mentioned resulted in it essentially withering on the vine as slaves were freed faster than new slaves entered the economy. it wasn't any great moral victory or enlightened policy, slavery just stopped functioning as an institution because of how roman slavery was structured both legally and culturally. of course this process essentially overlaps directly with the institution of the first legal systems that would evolve over centuries into serfdom so it's not all positive, but there was a span of about 100 years in there where very few people were legally compelled to provide extremely cheap labor

also fwiw the most brutal era of rome and also the one with all of the slave rebellions was the republic, not the empire. i don't believe slave rebellions ever significantly impacted the empire.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 7, 2022

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Seconding Jack Among Snakes. It's a very bingable and inoffensive story with consistent updates.

Any other long running fantasy serials with minor or no litrpg elements? Doesn't have to be a work of art as long as it is enjoyable.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
Um, let us not underplay Roman slavery. A latifundia is just another word for a plantation and being a slave mine was a literal death sentence.

On other hand a free person today and a free person in ancient times are pretty different from view of rights and recognitions they have.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah they figured out it's cheaper and more productive to not micromanage the slave caste and let them pick where to work at.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Jazerus posted:

they did once the borders stopped expanding and conquest dried up as a source of slaves. the relatively tame legal structures and social norms around slavery that you mentioned resulted in it essentially withering on the vine as slaves were freed faster than new slaves entered the economy. it wasn't any great moral victory or enlightened policy, slavery just stopped functioning as an institution because of how roman slavery was structured both legally and culturally. of course this process essentially overlaps directly with the institution of the first legal systems that would evolve over centuries into serfdom so it's not all positive, but there was a span of about 100 years in there where very few people were legally compelled to provide extremely cheap labor

also fwiw the most brutal era of rome and also the one with all of the slave rebellions was the republic, not the empire. i don't believe slave rebellions ever significantly impacted the empire.

I've done a lot of reading about Rome for BTDEM.

One of the more interesting twists I found was there was literally a pro-piracy faction in the senate, since pirates were a great way of having dubiously-sourced slaves enter the economy. It was a part of why pirates were so difficult to remove for so long - the senate was literally handicapping the navy from doing their jobs, because it was profitable to let the pirates continue.

Eventually... Pompey? had enough, and just wiped them all out in a matter of months, but the historical tidbit is interesting, especially with the more meta "Hey, we need slaves, and these people provide them while we're not on large expansion conquests"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

dude, its supposed to be a running joke.

The first couple times I thought it was just a joke (and it's obvious to me that it's expected to be read that way), but then it applied to literally every time both parents show up at the same time, and then the very first time two grandparents showed up together they're described as flirting. Or how his mother's notes imply she used a summoned angel person as a gigolo when she was in high school.

It's not exactly a big problem (though that last thing is a little weird); if anything it's kind of funny how conspicuous it's become. I actually like the general idea of the parents being a present and relevant part of the story. It'd be nice if there weren't virtually zero exceptions to it, though (the only scene I can recall with both his parents in it that doesn't have this is the flashback where his mom and dad are arguing about what they both did to the protagonist). I saw someone mention this in the comments, and apparently some of their other work is a lot less "PG," so at least they're managing to keep things under control on that front.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gladi posted:

Um, let us not underplay Roman slavery. A latifundia is just another word for a plantation and being a slave mine was a literal death sentence.

On other hand a free person today and a free person in ancient times are pretty different from view of rights and recognitions they have.

i had no intention of downplaying the conditions faced by Roman slaves; broadly they were the same or worse than most other forms of slavery throughout history in terms of the danger of the work. the primary difference was on the legal and cultural end of things, as i tried to emphasize in my previous post; murdering a slave directly was always punishable, at first through fines and then eventually genuine criminal penalties, and culturally slaves were often freed upon their master's death, or if they put together the cash to buy themselves.

don't get me wrong. this is all still slavery and completely deplorable. but the legal and cultural structures around roman slavery were less laser-focused on maintaining the institution at any cost than most other historical forms of slavery, especially american slavery.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Sorry, I have seen bit too many people go "actually, Roman slavery was fine", discounting that not every slave was a doctor, accountant or a tutor.

And I thought ancient Egypt legally treated slaves well?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

The first couple times I thought it was just a joke (and it's obvious to me that it's expected to be read that way), but then it applied to literally every time both parents show up at the same time, and then the very first time two grandparents showed up together they're described as flirting. Or how his mother's notes imply she used a summoned angel person as a gigolo when she was in high school.

It's not exactly a big problem (though that last thing is a little weird); if anything it's kind of funny how conspicuous it's become. I actually like the general idea of the parents being a present and relevant part of the story. It'd be nice if there weren't virtually zero exceptions to it, though (the only scene I can recall with both his parents in it that doesn't have this is the flashback where his mom and dad are arguing about what they both did to the protagonist). I saw someone mention this in the comments, and apparently some of their other work is a lot less "PG," so at least they're managing to keep things under control on that front.

It's definitely just a joke, man. Sometimes a joke can be sexual in nature without it being an excuse to tell everyone what you jack off to. I don't know what you were expecting out of ISM but it's definitely the tamest of Macronomicon's stories.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Slavery is bad.

Other forms of not-technically-owning-people-but-still-severely-underpaying-them-and-marginilizing-them-so-they-can-be-exploited are also bad.

I choose to believe it is not necessary, however widespread it is currently (and I agree that the way American workers, especially "migrant" workers are mistreated is awful). By most reports, Pre-columbian native americans managed a high and healthy standard of living without significant oppression. So much so that many colonists chose to leave their colonies to join the natives.

Elder Cultivator addresses the problem of an exploited underclass of mortals by having the MC make it one of his main life goals to teach everyone to cultivate.

The Commonweal series, a traditional 5 book series, is set in a culture where one of the principle foundations of the society is something like: the primary benefit of any work shall accrue to the laborer. i.e. Everyone gets paid fairly. There's an SA thread about the series: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006013

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 8, 2022

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kyoujin posted:

Seconding Jack Among Snakes. It's a very bingable and inoffensive story with consistent updates.

Any other long running fantasy serials with minor or no litrpg elements? Doesn't have to be a work of art as long as it is enjoyable.

I've been enjoying A Practical Guide to Sorcery, here's what I wrote about it a ways back:

Bremen posted:

So, for a completely different take on broke mage with financial trouble, I've recently been catching up on A Practical Guide to Sorcery (not to be confused with that other Practical Guide).

Siobhan is a young woman who wants nothing more than to enroll in the local Academy of Magic. Unfortunately, upon arriving to apply she gets caught up in a robbery and now the entire country (and university above all) are after her. She's not going to let that stop her though, even if it means using the mysterious magic book she ended up with in the confusion to disguise herself as a young man, or putting herself in debt to a local gang to get the money for tuition. Soon she's trying to juggle passing her classes with doing (relatively principled) jobs for the loan sharks, all while trying to keep her two lives separate. Especially when some quirks of her unique family magic and a few coincidences result in the growing legend of the "Raven Queen" working for the city's underworld, who most of the citizens believe to be an inhuman creature out of legend but the more educated know is "simply" an incredibly powerful blood sorceress with mysterious goals.
Siobhan, it must be stressed, is extremely talented for a first year magic student but not nearly a superpower for the setting, much less a match for the reputation she starts getting. There's a certain level of "comedy of errors" style humor where everyone is coming to the wrong conclusions, and Siobhan is mostly clueless and consistently underestimates how seriously people are taking her reputation, though beyond that it's mostly a serious rather than comedic story. Overall A Practical Guide to Magic somewhat reminded me of The Name of the Wind though in that story the protagonist was deliberately cultivating a reputation and in this one it's mostly accidental. They're also both stories where the finances of the protagonists feel like real challenges to be overcome.
I also got something akin to minor PTSD from some of the elements, since Siobhan having to deal with a lack of sleep/preparation for class after a night working underworld jobs is a recurring plot point, and somehow being unprepared for class was much more nerve-wracking for me than things like fighting monsters.
Overall I quite enjoyed the story, though part of that is that I tend to like school setting stories. I also though the situation with the dual competing identities was a fun setup for this kind of story, since it meant the plot is neither all school stuff nor all action.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Thx I'll check that out.

Another serial I've read for awhile and can recommend is https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/47995/memoirs-of-your-local-small-time-villainess

I like how the villainess personality is hard coded in so the reincarnated lady has to work through it. Also cool how things are changed since the game is limited compared to reality so unexpected events and mistakes can happen when relying too hard on game knowledge.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I don't have a lot to say about today's (135) TUTBAD chapter except that I'm loving stoked. Hell yeah, intrigue, traps, and Alfric's mom!

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Wild that the stenobook keeps coming in clutch.

day-gas
Dec 16, 2020

Kyoujin posted:

Thx I'll check that out.

Another serial I've read for awhile and can recommend is https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/47995/memoirs-of-your-local-small-time-villainess

I like how the villainess personality is hard coded in so the reincarnated lady has to work through it. Also cool how things are changed since the game is limited compared to reality so unexpected events and mistakes can happen when relying too hard on game knowledge.

Really digging this one, the writing is well done and the pacing is brisk. I like how the world is just goofy enough where it really feels like some kind of Skyrim ish video game - there's assassins, old ruins, systems and languages that make no sense in the context of the world itself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Catching up with all the Pale Lights chapters, and I totally called there being something going on with Isabel charming Angharad.

I like the dichotomy between the two characters, where one is basically super street-smart and the other is very strong but obviously still from a noble's background.

What little new information about the setting has popped up has also been pretty compelling. One thing that isn't clear to me is whether this world lives in a sort of perpetual night, or if it even has any sort of visible day/night cycle. It's described as being in some sort of place shielded from an eternal light where the light breaks through in some places.

edit: Caught up with the Patreon chapters now (so up to chapter 8). Really enjoying this and excited to see who from the current cast ends up sticking around.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 10, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kyoujin posted:

Thx I'll check that out.

I read through this. It's good, thanks for the rec!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Ytlaya posted:

Catching up with all the Pale Lights chapters, and I totally called there being something going on with Isabel charming Angharad.

I like the dichotomy between the two characters, where one is basically super street-smart and the other is very strong but obviously still from a noble's background.

What little new information about the setting has popped up has also been pretty compelling. One thing that isn't clear to me is whether this world lives in a sort of perpetual night, or if it even has any sort of visible day/night cycle. It's described as being in some sort of place shielded from an eternal light where the light breaks through in some places.

edit: Caught up with the Patreon chapters now (so up to chapter 8). Really enjoying this and excited to see who from the current cast ends up sticking around.

There’s a description of the setting in the summary, which doesn’t seem particularly spoilery to me.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ar'Kendrithyst Patreon: Erick invents new world changing magic, but more importantly, goes on a date :3:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

blastron posted:

There’s a description of the setting in the summary, which doesn’t seem particularly spoilery to me.

It's still not 100% clear. It seems like the places under the Glare might be like "eternal twilight" (I think this is how Sacromonte is described), but is there basically just a big dome protecting the livable world from the eternal sun (with cracks in it letting through some light, and people live in those areas)? The places untouched by the Glare appear to be called the Gloam and have some dangerous properties.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Peachfart posted:

Ar'Kendrithyst Patreon: Erick invents new world changing magic, but more importantly, goes on a date :3:

Yeah, that was cute.

God do I hate that fairy though. She feels like what Eric might be in a few hundred years, if he loses his way a bit.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Latest TWI Patreon continues to show pirateaba's strongest ability as a writer, the ability to make even tertiary characters into protagonists in their own right. It's probably entirely due to how insanely long and meandering it is, but TWI is seriously the only written work, not even web serial, that makes it feel like any random person introduced is the main character of their own story rather than existing purely as a bystander in someone else's.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
that's what people used to say about worm back when people thought wildbow was great

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
While Wildbow fans do still praise him for his secondary and tertiary characters I don't think I've ever read any of them, even the most zealous, make the claim he is the only writer in history to write non-protagonists that feel like real people.

Would love to be proven wrong though. The 'my favourite web serial writer is actually the greatest writer of all time' posts are often amazing to read.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infinity Gaia posted:

Latest TWI Patreon continues to show pirateaba's strongest ability as a writer, the ability to make even tertiary characters into protagonists in their own right. It's probably entirely due to how insanely long and meandering it is, but TWI is seriously the only written work, not even web serial, that makes it feel like any random person introduced is the main character of their own story rather than existing purely as a bystander in someone else's.

you haven't read many books outside of genre fiction i take it. see i think most of the stuff on RR/KU is absolute dreck because uh, that's sort of the basic standard of good writing, is characterization. imo. anyway if that's what you're into you'd probably like Ar'Kendrythist

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't entirely disagree, but that's a benefit of TWI's length, not because pirateaba is uniquely talented among all authors. Also, note the difference between feeling like a "main character" and feeling like a "real character", the latter of which the poster did not make any claims about. Yes, of course other authors can write many characters who feel like main characters (and extremely likely with a greater deal of finesse), but most authors also don't have the time to regularly deliver large novellas expounding on the daily lives of their dozens of recurring characters and several one-off characters. The biggest strength and biggest weakness of TWI is that if you really want to know the story of that one rat digging through the inn's pantry, you're probably gonna get it at some point.

anyway the chapter was very cool and gave us an interesting glimpse of how they might resolve some of the outstanding quests, gave some hints at the future of the inn, and also made valeterisa a lot more interesting when we found out whom she considered to be the best mages in fissival

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Something not mentioned as much is the 'pots theory' of getting better.

A study divided a class in half. One side was graded on who made the best pot, the other side was graded on who made the most pots.

Ready, set, GO!

End of the class, the side who made the most pots, who were just blitzing through making as many as possible, had nicer, better pots than the people who were told to just make the best. It was because of how much practice they were getting in making pots, instead of focusing on quality from the start.

Practice generally improve performance.

Pirate's written more words than most professional authors in their entire lifetime. I'm not surprised that they've gotten pretty darn good at it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

you haven't read many books outside of genre fiction i take it. see i think most of the stuff on RR/KU is absolute dreck because uh, that's sort of the basic standard of good writing, is characterization. imo. anyway if that's what you're into you'd probably like Ar'Kendrythist

Ar'Kendrythist does not have any main characters other than Erick. It's very clearly his story and everyone else is secondary to him in the writing. It's nothing like the latest two chapters of TWI where Valeterisa is the main character for the short arc or many other examples in TWI.

Another example of this that is mainstream is GoT though that is less of a tertiary character becoming the main character for a short arc and instead multiple main characters. I think in general non serial fiction is too short to allow this for the most part.

asur fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 11, 2022

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Huh, I've mostly seen the opposite where published books I used to read like Malazan Book of the Fallen felt alive with the world and characters while the web serials I've been reading focus on a single character or a small group of protagonists.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yes, there are certainly huge traditionally published series like malazan that live in the same scope as TWI. even some very, uh, mediocre writers like harry turtledove structure their books like that. TWI by virtue of sheer length has been able to explore its world more than pretty much any other work, though, i think that's fair to say. whether that's your thing or not is up to you

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm enjoying the synchronicity of today's BtDEM being about the selection of the third class while the Patreon episode is the selection of they class's evolution.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Wittgen posted:

I'm enjoying the synchronicity of today's BtDEM being about the selection of the third class while the Patreon episode is the selection of they class's evolution.

I have no idea how I manage to pull stuff like that off, but I've frequently noted a "20 chapter effect". It's not deliberate, I don't plan things like that, it just happens.

Also, 20 chapters is WAY longer than I was hoping to spend on that. This arc is trying to get away from me, and I'm trying to keep it to a manageable length.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Selkie Myth posted:

Also, 20 chapters is WAY longer than I was hoping to spend on that. This arc is trying to get away from me, and I'm trying to keep it to a manageable length.

I don't think the school arc is to long, I really liked the change of tone that came with it. There was space for some more school shenanigans before timeskipping. I would have liked to learn more about the interesting roommates.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
RE: Trailer Trash has been released on Amazon and I finally took my plunge into it on RR, then bought it. It's very good.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Megazver posted:

RE: Trailer Trash has been released on Amazon and I finally took my plunge into it on RR, then bought it. It's very good.

Nice, I wonder if the author is going to start release chapters more frequently or if it's going to be another 3 years before the end of book two.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think they've recently completed, or are nearly completed with, their smut thing that was the focus of their full efforts for the last x years, so I should hope this bodes well for RE:TT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they're just a really slow writer I guess