Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I pay $55 a month after taxes/fees for unlimited everything. There's no way on god's magenta earth I'm giving up that plan any time soon. Nice deal for folks on the Max though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like how these deals never save me an money than what I'm on already, and I'm not on anything special. It's like $400 more to do that in my circumstances before I even sell my existing handset, drives me mad!

Same. I am on 2 lines for $100 with a $10 kickback per line if I use under 2GB. Magenta Max is $140. That's $480 more for the year. They'll give me $500 off a trade in for my iPhone 13 Pro. This is all just ploys to get people to switch from grandfathered plans to a higher cost plan because they're idiots.

Last year Best buy had that deal where you could trade in your iPhone 12 Pro for an iPhone 13 Pro, and it brought the $1,000 phone down to $100. The nice thing is... you only paid sales tax on the $100, not the $1,000 MSRP. So it was something like $106 for me to upgrade.

Even on this "Free Phone" deal with T-Mobile on Magenta Max, you are still paying sales tax on the $1,000 phone and dealing with bill credits.

Best Buy usually lags a bit on promotions. I would bet that they are going to try to match all the carriers doing $1,000 trade in values, and you will pay less sales tax and not deal with bill credits/fake contracts.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I still have an iPhone 8, and I've been waiting for the 14 as my phone has started really showing it's age the past few months.

I am guessing no one is going to offer anything for the 8, and my best option for it is to sell it on FB or SA-Mart or something?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Astro7x posted:

Same. I am on 2 lines for $100 with a $10 kickback per line if I use under 2GB. Magenta Max is $140. That's $480 more for the year. They'll give me $500 off a trade in for my iPhone 13 Pro. This is all just ploys to get people to switch from grandfathered plans to a higher cost plan because they're idiots.

Last year Best buy had that deal where you could trade in your iPhone 12 Pro for an iPhone 13 Pro, and it brought the $1,000 phone down to $100. The nice thing is... you only paid sales tax on the $100, not the $1,000 MSRP. So it was something like $106 for me to upgrade.

Even on this "Free Phone" deal with T-Mobile on Magenta Max, you are still paying sales tax on the $1,000 phone and dealing with bill credits.

Best Buy usually lags a bit on promotions. I would bet that they are going to try to match all the carriers doing $1,000 trade in values, and you will pay less sales tax and not deal with bill credits/fake contracts.

Best Buy has had the best third party deals recently for sure for T-Mobile, Costco seems to have not been quite as good lately.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I still have an iPhone 8, and I've been waiting for the 14 as my phone has started really showing it's age the past few months.

I am guessing no one is going to offer anything for the 8, and my best option for it is to sell it on FB or SA-Mart or something?

According to the leaked deal offer if you’re on Magenta Max T-Mobile will give you $400, if not they’ll give you $200. Based on Swappa prices that may be pretty reasonable based on your device condition.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

According to the leaked deal offer if you’re on Magenta Max T-Mobile will give you $400, if not they’ll give you $200. Based on Swappa prices that may be pretty reasonable based on your device condition.
I can't remember the plan I'm on, but its not Magenta Max. It's an older one that's $70/mo after taxes. And yeah, I looked at their site and it looks like I'd get $200. Comps on Swappa are in the $140-$160 range, so I guess taking the $200 would be better.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bentai posted:

I pay $55 a month after taxes/fees for unlimited everything. There's no way on god's magenta earth I'm giving up that plan any time soon. Nice deal for folks on the Max though.

:same: I'm riding that plan until they kick me out same way I rode the original iPhone plan from Cingular/ATT.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:same: I'm riding that plan until they kick me out same way I rode the original iPhone plan from Cingular/ATT.

Verizon got me off an old plan by not offering 5G on anything below the new plans. It’ll happen. Enjoy your time.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Single line is tough, that doesn't seem to be tmobiles strong suit for good deals.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Looking at my tmo bill, I'm on the "Magenta 1.0" plan and apparently my wife and I still owe ~$230 on our 12 pro maxes. I'm slightly tempted to pick up a 14 pro or pro max, but is their deal going to be remotely useful for us?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wonderllama posted:

Verizon got me off an old plan by not offering 5G on anything below the new plans. It’ll happen. Enjoy your time.

AT&T’s old iphone plan way of kicking every out was basically bumping it up by $10 every year. They did it like 2-3 years in a row and I said gently caress it I’m out. I’m sure T-Mobile will eventually come with a nice polite way to gently caress me over but maybe by then my situation will warrant having multiple lines (technically I have my phone and my watch LTE so it’s $66/mo for everything)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The day the plan gets nuked or they find another way to shove me off, I'm leaving for another provider. I don't use enough text/minutes/data to rationalize $70 a month, I can barely do it for $55.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

AT&T’s old iphone plan way of kicking every out was basically bumping it up by $10 every year. They did it like 2-3 years in a row and I said gently caress it I’m out. I’m sure T-Mobile will eventually come with a nice polite way to gently caress me over but maybe by then my situation will warrant having multiple lines (technically I have my phone and my watch LTE so it’s $66/mo for everything)

Since I'm never eligible for a third line free promotion, I am guessing the day will come where I have to add my kid to my family plan will be the day I lose it :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Astro7x posted:

Since I'm never eligible for a third line free promotion, I am guessing the day will come where I have to add my kid to my family plan will be the day I lose it :(

Are on the weird special 2 line One Promo plan? I was on that and they switched me to Magenta Max so I could add a bunch more free lines with little to no impact to my bill other than losing kickback

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Maneki Neko posted:

Single line is tough, that doesn't seem to be tmobiles strong suit for good deals.

they have plenty of good prepaid plans that will more than pay the cost of a new phone in savings over a 2 or 3 year period compared to a $70+/mo magenta plan.

i get 6GB of data which is plenty as long as you’re not constantly streaming video on LTE/5G for $25/mo through t-mobile connect, and it doesn’t get deprioritized or suffer the jank of some of the other big MVNOs. compared to the magenta plan i was on for a few months to get a subsidy for my 13pro through a bestbuy promo last year, i’m saving almost $600/year for essentially the same service.

the only bummer is that the prepaid plans don’t let you add on a watch.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bentai posted:

I don't have quite a good deal but I'm still pretty happy with my $80/month w/ kickbacks two lines unlimited everything plan. No compelling reason to switch off of that yet.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I just moved and the Tmo signal is pretty bad being far off the main road. I bought a booster off Amazon but it could never find a signal to boost. What are my options here? Wifi calling and stuff works fine but I'd still like to have a signal in case our ISP goes down.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Your option is to switch carriers or wait to see if coverage improves.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Your option is to switch carriers or wait to see if coverage improves.

Yeah that's what I figured, I've just been with T-Mobile forever so hoping that's not necessary. Might have my wife switch to Verizon or something so we at least have another option in case of emergency.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

McGurk posted:

I just moved and the Tmo signal is pretty bad being far off the main road. I bought a booster off Amazon but it could never find a signal to boost. What are my options here? Wifi calling and stuff works fine but I'd still like to have a signal in case our ISP goes down.

Does your phone support band 71?

e: clicked the ? and saw an iPhone XR/11 mentioned; both of those should support it. Next steps might be to snag a prepaid SIM from some other carrier to test their signal quality.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

How is the 5G signal? I got abysmal signal on 4G but on 5G i'm somehow faster than my 500/500 FIOS.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/t-mobile-takes-coverage-above-and-beyond-with-spacex

Anyone got any info on what this may end up being? Elon Musk being involved makes me smell bullshit but I’m curious.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I watched the announcement stream and here's what I remember: Basically the next generation of Starlink satellites will have LTE antennas on them that any 4G phone will be able to connect to (no special hardware required). Based on the description of the service they plan to use the PCS G-block (band 25) that they acquired with Sprint. The signal will be very weak so it will only work outdoors if you have a clear view of the sky and bandwidth will be extremely limited, so they will initially only offer SMS service, but eventually plan to add voice and data service. It will be included with "their most popular plans" (read: their current premium plans) and be available as an add-on for other plans. Service is slated to begin late next year (though keep in mind that's what Musk said, so add an extra year or so on to translate that to reality).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 10, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/t-mobile-takes-coverage-above-and-beyond-with-spacex

Anyone got any info on what this may end up being? Elon Musk being involved makes me smell bullshit but I’m curious.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Satellite sucks and starlink also sucks. Oh, and lol it’s Musk.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It was a rushed announcement to get out ahead of Apple's satellite announcement (in case they introduced anything more advanced than SOS messaging) so it's still a couple years away from being in any type of production-ready state, if ever.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Currently on a prepaid plan, physical SIM, iPhone 13. I want to get a 14 which requires eSIM. Do I really have to make a new account to do that? Downloaded the Prepaid eSIM app and it doesn't let you use an existing email address.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Satellite sucks and starlink also sucks. Oh, and lol it’s Musk.

Starlink doesn't scale, so we'll all be dead before it happens. https://www.lightreading.com/satellite/starlinks-threat-to-wired-broadband-minimal---analyst-/d/d-id/768528

maybe 1 million people total under utilization after full satellite deployment.

Why I'm here: tried to see if I could get tmo internet service as a backup but I don't even get anywhere even through online requests Does it actually exist or not even?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Starlink doesn't scale, so we'll all be dead before it happens. https://www.lightreading.com/satellite/starlinks-threat-to-wired-broadband-minimal---analyst-/d/d-id/768528

maybe 1 million people total under utilization after full satellite deployment.

Why I'm here: tried to see if I could get tmo internet service as a backup but I don't even get anywhere even through online requests Does it actually exist or not even?

What do you mean you "don't get anywhere"? Have you punched in your address into https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I mean it lists as available but opening tickets/requesting contact after it confirms my address gets no response. Is that the wrong way to go?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I remain impressed how bad TMobile is at at provisioning when you order a new device through them and the new iPhones with eSIM do not disappoint.

Wasn't able to transfer the SIM from the old phone and the instructions they emailed didn't work but eventually stumbled my way through it and waiting the "up to 2 hours" it will take for activation.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

I remain impressed how bad TMobile is at at provisioning when you order a new device through them and the new iPhones with eSIM do not disappoint.

Wasn't able to transfer the SIM from the old phone and the instructions they emailed didn't work but eventually stumbled my way through it and waiting the "up to 2 hours" it will take for activation.

Yeah, it’s a big reason I’m surprised that Apple really pushed eSIM this year. Verizon is the same way, it’s def wonky with eSIM activations still, and I think they needed at least another year.

Although it’s probably also one of those things where all 3 carriers weren’t going to push eSIM / fix bugs until they were forced too.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I ordered my 14 pro from apple and did the phone to phone transfer. I was actually amazed everything went smoothly. My line transferred from physical sim on 13 pro to e-sim on 14 pro in a couple of minutes.
I was expecting having to call customer service and have to wait forever because it was new iPhone day.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

serebralassazin posted:

I ordered my 14 pro from apple and did the phone to phone transfer. I was actually amazed everything went smoothly. My line transferred from physical sim on 13 pro to e-sim on 14 pro in a couple of minutes.
I was expecting having to call customer service and have to wait forever because it was new iPhone day.

From what I can tell this very much depends on what the old phone model is, the newer the better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I ended up porting my number from MetroPCS to AT&T and all (eventually) went fine. Presumably I need to cancel my Metro payments, but now I can't log in to the web portal with my usual phone number/PIN. Is there something I have to do differently now, or did Metro do the smart thing and say 'hey this guy is not a customer anymore so we won't auto charge him going forward' which feels a bit like wishful thinking on my behalf.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

I ended up porting my number from MetroPCS to AT&T and all (eventually) went fine. Presumably I need to cancel my Metro payments, but now I can't log in to the web portal with my usual phone number/PIN. Is there something I have to do differently now, or did Metro do the smart thing and say 'hey this guy is not a customer anymore so we won't auto charge him going forward' which feels a bit like wishful thinking on my behalf.

In my experience in the past porting out generally closes your account but in your case may need to actually call them up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it looks like that might actually be the case, I'm actually somewhat impressed! Given my experience with carriers this week I'm kinda missing Metro already tbh.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

Spectracide posted:

Currently on a prepaid plan, physical SIM, iPhone 13. I want to get a 14 which requires eSIM. Do I really have to make a new account to do that? Downloaded the Prepaid eSIM app and it doesn't let you use an existing email address.

My 14 came in so I just dealt this this. Called 611, asked to convert my physical sim to eSIM, gave them the new IMEI, and was done. Pretty quick and easy.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Does T-Mobile still give you one of those signal booster thing if you need it? I called them because the service is pretty poo poo where I live and they said they'd just send me a new SIM card even though I asked for a signal booster. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna help me because everyone else also has the same issue at my place.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
why not just use wifi calling?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
A couple of questions coming over from Boost Mobile:

1) Requested & received an unlock on my iPhone 11 from Boost. Takes (up to) 2 business days & my phone still shows that it's locked to Boost. In the meantime, I ran thru T-Mo's "bring your own phone" steps to ensure compatibility and it seems everything is sorted. However, it was indicated that I'm eligible for eSim. Should I just select this option after the unlock occurs or would it be less of a headache to just order a physical Sim card?

2) I've been running on a ~$60/mo plan with Boost that has unlimited text/talk and 35GB data with a 12GB allotment for use as a hotspot. The Magenta @ $70 looks like the closest analogue with unlimited text/talk and 100GB data with a smaller (5GB) hotspot pool. Does this seem like the most similar plan or is there another one where I could save a bit without too much loss in data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I use Unlimited on Tello on T-Mobile's network. "Unlimited" is 25GB and I think you can tether for all of it. $29 a month.