Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

silvergoose posted:

We should agree on some kind of spoiler policy, mayhaps...

I'm hoping people will be reasonable the next while and spoil-tag anything that's actual plot spoilers for Nona and also please don't spoil-tag random other poo poo as a joke and if you feel you must spoil-tag your speculation/theory-crafting please make it obvious that that's what you're spoil-tagging as oposed to Nona spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm seriously considering calling sick the day the book arrives in the mail.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, I finished. I think the New Zealand cultural references are all perfectly easy to understand in context, though. Massive spoilers follow:

For the rest of, it, wow, Muir managed to write a book that was more complicated and weird than Harrow. I think my favorite bit is the fact that Gideon, after being removed into a completely different social environment, has turned into like 75% of a completely different person, which is unfathomably bizarre but also completely understandable because this is the first time in her life she's been able to go an hour without thinking about Harrowhark Nonagesimus.

I am dying to see the movie of this just to watch some poor preppy-boy actor have to play Naberius Tern, Ianthe-in-Naberius, and Palamedes-in-Naberius.

Also, I can't believe they passed up the chance to be named Calamity.

EDIT: I also want to add that it's completely hilarious that Gideon has acquired a theoretical knowledge of necromancy in approximately six months, so basically near-instantly once someone bothered to put education in her general vicinity.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 11, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i am a jealous bag of bones rn

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kesper North posted:

I am hoist upon my own petard because I have no one to share my Nona chat with.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rand Brittain posted:

I am hoist upon my own petard because I have no one to share my Nona chat with.

Oooh, I have a meme for this!

For me, it is Tuesday.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Kesper North posted:

Oooh, I have a meme for this!

For me, it is Tuesday.

Tuesdaaaayyyy :argh: :supaburn:

Come, Kesper, I have cordoned off a corner for us where we can mope.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Kesper North posted:

Same. I’m also testing my self-control to not click all the spoilers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You will really enjoy the book more if you don't click the spoilers.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah I'm gonna have to just stay off Tumblr this week.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The only thing I could imagine really catching people out is how you pronounce Kiriona. It's Te Reo Māori, where the K sounds almost like a G and the R sounds almost like a D. I dunno if people are gonna be like "Where the hell did this name come from?" without quite getting that it's just a Reo Māori pronunciation of Gideon. (Nona Spoiler, do not click)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cptn_dr posted:

The only thing I could imagine really catching people out is how you pronounce Kiriona. It's Te Reo Māori, where the K sounds almost like a G and the R sounds almost like a D. I dunno if people are gonna be like "Where the hell did this name come from?" without quite getting that it's just a Reo Māori pronunciation of Gideon. (Nona Spoiler, do not click)

Oh lol I didn't get that at all. It did occur to me that the reason she is kind of a dick is that she is Gideon minus Nona

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

When is my copy arriving amazon drat you.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Gonna go by the book store before work so I can bring it with me and stare at it longingly while I do cable management

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MonsieurChoc posted:

When is my copy arriving amazon drat you.

I tried to trick my kindle with a New Zealand VPN and timezone, but alas...

I'm gonna have to resist scrolling over black bars until friday at least.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

M_Gargantua posted:

The trick is to update your address in your profile. I’m in the UK and for books which are released first in America I have a Beverly Hills 90210 address because it was the only area code I knew without looking up.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

harrow is a brenda

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

harrow is a brenda

that means when she captures someone they're the prisoner of brenda

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Book was real good, Nona is a sweet precious angel and I hope she gets to wear her bday gift

Edited out bigger spoilers, figured discussion can wait for everyone to have read.

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 12, 2022

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Kesper North posted:

that means when she captures someone they're the prisoner of brenda

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Cool thanks google.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Might check by my bookstore after work to see if, on the off chance, they have it out early because I can't help myself lol

Seriously, I haven't been this hype for a book release since Harry Potter. Like, I've been excited for new books coming out but not hype like this. I was saving that hype for the next Song of Ice and Fire book but...you know.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Honestly there’s something specifically about this book release that’s super electric. I mean, The Golden Enclaves, the last book in the Scholomance series, is coming out next Tuesday and Be the Serpent has been out (I’ve just been waiting for the audiobook release) and while I’m excited for them I’m not going anywhere near as crazy about them as Nona.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

DreamingofRoses posted:

Honestly there’s something specifically about this book release that’s super electric. I mean, The Golden Enclaves, the last book in the Scholomance series, is coming out next Tuesday and Be the Serpent has been out (I’ve just been waiting for the audiobook release) and while I’m excited for them I’m not going anywhere near as crazy about them as Nona.

Personal theory, it's because of how Gideon and Harrow were both such very different books in a lot of ways, like in tone and what parts of the world they dealt with and how they dealt with it. It demonstrated already that Muir could handle an abrupt shift like that and still make it something really good and compelling, and even often still funny despite the general tragedy and fear miring Harrow in her book. So suddenly we've got a book whose premise sounds like a high school AU fanfiction joke? Where the cover art goes from "slightly goofy but also really cool Gideon" to "cool and grim Harrow" and then suddenly to "cheery teen and her dog"? So we've got another shift, one that sounds like a big goddamn joke, and I am also holy poo poo all on board with seeing how it plays out this time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

For me too, there hasn't been a book I wanted to reread immediately after reading since fuckin wheel of time books were still coming out, and then I read Gideon the Ninth twice in three days, and then Harrow made it so I had to reread it immediately because I had no idea what was going on.

What I'm saying is I'm probably reading Nona twice, then getting the audiobook and listening to it, then rereading the whole series again.

I'm kind of broken though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In case you want to know a spoiler free overall impression of having read it, it's exactly as much of a combination of 'oh I see!' and 'what the gently caress' as harrow was.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm IN NZ and my Kindle copy isn't ready either. And my local bookstore doesn't have any stock yet.

God damnit I live in the author's home city you'd think they'd try a bit harder.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

disposablewords posted:

Personal theory, it's because of how Gideon and Harrow were both such very different books in a lot of ways, like in tone and what parts of the world they dealt with and how they dealt with it. It demonstrated already that Muir could handle an abrupt shift like that and still make it something really good and compelling, and even often still funny despite the general tragedy and fear miring Harrow in her book. So suddenly we've got a book whose premise sounds like a high school AU fanfiction joke? Where the cover art goes from "slightly goofy but also really cool Gideon" to "cool and grim Harrow" and then suddenly to "cheery teen and her dog"? So we've got another shift, one that sounds like a big goddamn joke, and I am also holy poo poo all on board with seeing how it plays out this time.
Probably helps that she's very familiar Fandom and the things that people in Fandom like to discuss and speculate about--because she likes and absolutely enjoys writing those things, too! I think she also knows the fanservice-y things readers want and enjoys not giving it to you while dragging things out in a way that makes you want to know more. She doesn't indulge her characters but she does give them what they want but then it turns it in to This Isn't What I Asked For.

I don't want to pin her success solely on her participation in Fandom but it would be interesting to dig more in to Why her style of writing works so well and I do think that is a part of it

Edit:

silvergoose posted:

I'm kind of broken though.
We still post on Something Awful in TYOOL 2022; we are all kind of broken

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 13, 2022

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
These books make me feel things and lots of times it’s not emotions I usually feel reading books.

It’s easy to indulge in the sort of nostalgia that makes me feel like a kid again but it’s harder to find the sort of media/art/whatever that makes me feel like I’m in my early twenties. Sometimes there are bits that are just like reading a beautifully indulgent shitpost from when the internet was slightly less terrible than it is now.

I threw my book across the couch (harrow spoiler) when Jod said Hi, Not loving Dead, I’m dad.

And also I do like necromancy a whole bunch.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
My Nona preorder just unlocked so I guess I'm not getting much sleep tonight.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mine don't seem to have, but I guess it depends on when a service thinks September 13 is really here.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I might do something radical like trying to find a :filez: version while waiting for my paper copy to arrive in the mail.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Well now Nona's out, time to start getting hype for Alecto

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1569339711688216579

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

my reader's battery went from fully charged to dead in two hours :(
so while getting some juice I'll say the prose in Nona is more straightforward than Harrow for anyone still reading this thread that found Harrow off-putting. I'm at like Chapter 5 so early minor spoiler discussion

trying to wrap my head around the geopolitical situation with the phrase 'Five Eyes factory in Shenzhen.' I guess it sounds cool, but doesn't technically make sense. Anyway, probably a throwaway detail.
I saw Sebmojo's spoiler about the name, and there's a clue about asking if Honesty is the kid's name or if it sounds like Honesty. Gotta be something going on with Hot Sauce, both the character and the name.

not going to sugar(free)coat it, I am a Coke Zero and pun abuser

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nevermind got an email that my copy shipped and should arrive tomorrow. Gonna go to sleep to make it happen faster.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

so while getting some juice I'll say the prose in Nona is more straightforward than Harrow for anyone still reading this thread that found Harrow off-putting.

I found Harrow irritating just because I do not like second person perspectives. I know why she made that choice, but it was a really goddamn irritating choice.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Khizan posted:

I found Harrow irritating just because I do not like second person perspectives. I know why she made that choice, but it was a really goddamn irritating choice.

100 pages in and, thus far, no second person perspective sections.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

basically the first page posted:

You told me, Sleep, I’ll wake you in the morning.
I asked, What is morning? and you said,
When everyone who hosed with me is dead.

When everyone we loved has gone or fled,
That’s morning. Empty’s just another word for clean.
Let’s put this first-draft dream of mine to bed.

In the appointed hour
I’ll pull up your sheets. I’ll kill the light,
Lie down beside you; die; and sleep the night.

This time will be the time we get it right:
Forgiveness not so hard, nor anger long;
Our graves will be less deep, our lies less true.

You held aloft the sword.
I still love y

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I want to jump on this but I really should reread Harrow because I feel like I barely understood everything that happened in the climax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The breathtaking simplicity of what John did is, well, breathtaking. For ten billion minus one people, I guess.