Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The last Jedi is more what I want from a new star war. Rogue one is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They're probably tied for the best Star Wars things released in the last 40 years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I also love the Mandolorian with all its “faults”

I don’t mind if he meets Luke or mace windu or palpatine or whatever. I just like it because it gets the vibe right

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mando Season 1 is better than both.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Season 2 was my favorite. The opening episode, the Mando squad, the boba fett rampage, the finale

Love that poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Season 2 has two of my favourite episodes but Season 1 is a nearly perfect package. It nails its opening and closing and has some fun adventures in the middle.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I can’t argue with that. But I just liked 2 a lil better. It felt more sure of itself. I think the kryat dragon might be some of the best Star Wars out there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My issue with Season 2is that half the episodes feel like backdoor pilots and that takes away from the self contained nature that worked so well for season 1. You could still catch glimpses of the wider world but the focus remained consistent. Season 2 feels more like Mando is getting lost in the wider world and thr focus shifts away from his journey into him having a more passive observation of other people's lives.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dave Syndrome posted:

IIRC, Forest Whitaker's character had another name originally, and at some point they decided to turn him into an old Saw Gerrera to establish some kind of continuity with the Clone Wars show.
Gerrera looks completely different in The Clone Wars (blue eyes, for one), and Rebels actually did a decent job of bridging the two looks retroactively.

Saw's kind of got a complicated character history. He was originally conceived for the unproduced live action Underworld series Lucas was working on, and then put into Clone Wars when work on the other show slowed down. He was apparently folded into Rogue One when Gareth Edwards suggested adding a more militant/terrorist Rebel character to the movie, and one of the executives suggested using Saw. It doesn't seem like the character had a specific identity prior to being given Saw's name, and since all the publicly available concept art depicts him with the cybernetics / breathing mask, it's possible that him being trained by Vader inspired the design choice to make him the Rebel's own Vader equivalent.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rogue One took me three tries to get through because it was so boring. Send I didn't really care about any of the characters.

But when they got to the actual heist part I was finally engaged and liking it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arc Hammer posted:

My issue with Season 2 is that half the episodes feel like backdoor pilots and that takes away from the self contained nature that worked so well for season 1. You could still catch glimpses of the wider world but the focus remained consistent. Season 2 feels more like Mando is getting lost in the wider world and thr focus shifts away from his journey into him having a more passive observation of other people's lives.

For all the giddy excitement of OMG Bo-Katan! OMFG Ahsoka! Bo-Katan and Ahsoka as of "The Jedi" essentially have the same roles as Dr. Mandible from episode 1 and Frog Lady/Frog Dude from episode 2-3 - to send Din on to the next stage of his quest.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The backdoor pilots in Mando were a real drag. I don't care for anything in those Filoni cartoons and I wish he would stick to those and not poo poo up live action stuff.

I didn't care for Rogue One at all so I can't say I'm looking forward to Andor. But maybe I'll be surprised and they'll actually fully commit to the "rebels have to do bad things for the better good" thing that Rogue One was too chicken poo poo to do.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really liked the ashoka episode even though I don’t like the clown wars show at all.

I watched enough of it and just gave up. So I had just the base level knowledge of that character but that episode worked so well, and was so cool and well done. So idk. I guess I like back door pilots lol

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

I really liked the ashoka episode even though I don’t like the clown wars show at all.

I watched enough of it and just gave up. So I had just the base level knowledge of that character but that episode worked so well, and was so cool and well done. So idk. I guess I like back door pilots lol

My previous post used to part of a larger post on another forum that was a "No you really don't" response to somebody complaining that there weren't any flashback or they needed to watch Rebels/Clones Wars to know what was up with these. From context within the show you know that Ahsoka Tano is a powerful former(?) Jedi who is looking someone (probably an enemy) named Grand Admiral Thrawn. And that Bo-Katan is searching for the "Darksaber" which is probably that thing Moff Gideon used to cut his way out of his crashed TIE fighter.

But ultimately, we're not following those characters and their quests (yet). We're following Din on his quest to find somebody willing and able to teach Grogu the ways of the Force. So we don't need to know every bit of history about Ahsoka or Bo-Katan just like we didn't need the full biographies of Frog-Lady and Dr. Mandible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah agreed. I only vaguely knew who Bo Katan was when I half watched it with my roommate. The thing I remembered the most was she was voiced by Katie Sackoff, and also played by Katie Sackoff. But they told me everything I needed to know about her character in her episodes.

I don't know. I really don't mind where Mando is going. It's still at the end of the day about him and grogu no matter what. Even the Luke episode. Luke Skywalker showed up! But it wasn't about him. It was about Mando letting Grogu go, and doing what he felt was right.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
We could page back up a good ways to check out the speculation on who was going to train Grogu. It'll be Mace Windu! or Yaddle! or... that guy from the video game! or that other guys from that other video game!

And of course it was going to be Luke Skywalker because he's the only one that wouldn't require an extra five hours or so of exposition.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s the laziest option tho. Oh… a Skywalker.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the only good option. It doesn’t work if it’s goober blooby from some game made 20 years ago

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
should've been Kit Fisto.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ezra would have been my choice. And it would be another thread leading to Ahsoka series. We can learn what he’s been up to earlier.

Instead of Luke cameoing then loving off since I doubt he’s in Mando S3.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed Rogue One, but I perhaps rate it higher than I should because I have such great memories of watching it with a friend who wasn't really all that into Star Wars but became absolutely enthralled at watching endless calamity befall Director Krennic culminating in absolute perfection when the Death Star beam actually appears to blast Krennic first before hitting the ocean and wiping out everything else :allears:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Instead of Luke cameoing then loving off since I doubt he’s in Mando S3.

Yeah, but then "There's no way Luke Skywalker is going to be in The Book of Boba Fett" also seemed like a safe bet. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they dragged Frank Oz out and had Yoda show up for an episode to tell Grogu a cautionary tale about a mysterious Acolyte, streaming on Disney+ in 2023.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Everyone posted:

We could page back up a good ways to check out the speculation on who was going to train Grogu. It'll be Mace Windu! or Yaddle! or... that guy from the video game! or that other guys from that other video game!

And of course it was going to be Luke Skywalker because he's the only one that wouldn't require an extra five hours or so of exposition.

This is going on with a character in the Rings of Power thread right now and if I'm wrong I'll eat a healthy helping of crow, but that conversation feels very similar and I have a feeling it's going to have roughly the same outcome. 99% of the time, the most obvious answer is going to be the right one, unless the writers are intentionally trying to swerve you.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If BE CAREFUL NOT TO CHOKE ON YOUR ASPIRATIONS wasn't your favorite line in the movie, then I don't know what to say.

Also Drama Queen Vader turned off his torso Lite-Brite so he could do his sneak attack on some Rebel jobbers.

Peak Vader. Aside from "fear and dead men" in the comics, wherein Vader decided to solo a loving army.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, but then "There's no way Luke Skywalker is going to be in The Book of Boba Fett" also seemed like a safe bet. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they dragged Frank Oz out and had Yoda show up for an episode to tell Grogu a cautionary tale about a mysterious Acolyte, streaming on Disney+ in 2023.

Luke in Book of Boba Fett was some eerie prototyping for Digital Luuke, because all it had to do was act against Grogu and see if it held up. It did not hold up against the CGI Muppet.

(Also note that all Din's scenes were with Ahsoka, probably so Digital Luuke didn't get laid bare as being flat and inhuman compared to a human portrayal)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the only good option. It doesn’t work if it’s goober blooby from some game made 20 years ago

I will not stand for this Katarn slander.

Cal Kestis would've been cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do not like Kyle katarn because I only played half of the game he was in so I do not and won’t care about him lol.

Cal is fine but imo doesn’t have any true meaning.

Luke is the only one who can show up and mean something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Branching off with Cal would've been cool because then the Mando show could've explored new poo poo with the Mantis crew.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But then it’s not new poo poo though. Then it’s fallen order stuff.

There’s always going to be a push pull with this franchise and there’s never going to be a perfect way to deal with it that everyone will be happy with. But I don’t know. I just can’t be mad at Luke Skywalker showing up at the last minute to take Grogu.

If it was anyone else that scene just flat out would not work.

What they’ve done with him sense? I don’t know. I’m less into it than I was then. I hope they either recast or move on at least for Mando.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Star Wars has always been the movies for me so I guess it’s very hard for me to see it going any other way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah it has to be something/someone the audience immediately recognises as a big deal.

Beyond the joke option of Yaddle the only other option I could think of is to have someone else from their species show up and end it right there as a cliffhanger. Ahsoka might have worked if they hadn't used her earlier in the season.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I want Cal to show up in something so he can actually get some characterisation beyond "sort of sad about the Jedi purge".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Absolutely nothing anyone has suggested would have been cooler than Luke showing up and dismantling the dubstep droids, and that’s what’s the most important, IMO. Watching Luke actually get to be the badass Jedi Master we were always told he was was more satisfying than tying the Mandolorian to a bad & buggy video game (with a boring protagonist that sucks!)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CP I am surprised you're this gung-ho about keeping the Skywalkers when TLJ is your favorite movie and that's all about throwing the past in the fire.

Also Cal Kestis loving rules and his story so far is loving amazing and tragic. Also never encountered any real bugs so... umm.... turn u r monitor?!!? IS that how this works? :cheeky:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I'm all for moving on past the Skywalkers, but they went and made the setting for The Mandalorian five years after RotJ, so Luke being the one to answer Grogu's call into the darkness looking for a Jedi master is pretty much a no-brainer.

But I think we'll be waiting a long time to get anything other than a comic book or video game set anywhere outside of 20BBY to 30ABY. They just can't seem to move past it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

I'm all for moving on past the Skywalkers, but they went and made the setting for The Mandalorian five years after RotJ, so Luke being the one to answer Grogu's call into the darkness looking for a Jedi master is pretty much a no-brainer.

But I think we'll be waiting a long time to get anything other than a comic book or video game set anywhere outside of 20BBY to 30ABY. They just can't seem to move past it.

They were all set to go back in time 400 years and create a new Cinematic universe with yearly one off movies that fit an overall narrative like Marvel does. But the sequel trilogy criticisms have made them gun shy and it’s all on hold. I think they called it the High Republic and had already released books and comics to prep the setting.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
High Republic is just nu-canon KOTOR

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

[weeping] i just want a show about a simple bounty hunter

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

That DICK! posted:

[weeping] i just want a show about a simple bounty hunter

Whom can't stop making friends. 😎😛

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cartoon Man posted:

They were all set to go back in time 400 years and create a new Cinematic universe with yearly one off movies that fit an overall narrative like Marvel does. But the sequel trilogy criticisms have made them gun shy and it’s all on hold. I think they called it the High Republic and had already released books and comics to prep the setting.

I really wish we'd gotten this, if only to act as a backdoor to include everything related to KOTOR.