Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TheKingslayer posted:

People seem to be exceptionally bad about reading the text when it comes to mob movies. I've commonly seen people claim Goodfellas glorifies the mob and I'm like, "did we even watch the same thing?"

They just see the money and the pussy and the not having to work for the man aspect of it in addition to naively believing that it will never happen to them and everyone who gets clipped or put in jail had it coming or was stupid. It's even mentioned a few times in these movies about how guys wanted to get caught or how other dudes got whacked for disloyalty and not following the arbitrarily applied and selectively enforced "rules"

There's an element of glamour to it for sure and a lot of them are shown having a shitload of fun (partying, loving, eating expensive dinners, travelling, etc). If there wasn't any appeal to it, so many guys wouldn't strive for it and want that gangster lifestyle. Not all of them were down on their luck with no other options while trying to feed three kids.

Also, put me down as not remembering anything about Karen and Tommy having and affair IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Paulie was the one having the affair with Karen Hill. Tommy attempted to rape her on one occasion.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

All the irl mob guys i’ve meet have been more like pesci in the irishman than anything shown in sopranos or goodfellas

Just quiet old little italian guys in nice suits

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

They just see the money and the pussy and the not having to work for the man aspect of it in addition to naively believing that it will never happen to them and everyone who gets clipped or put in jail had it coming or was stupid. It's even mentioned a few times in these movies about how guys wanted to get caught or how other dudes got whacked for disloyalty and not following the arbitrarily applied and selectively enforced "rules"

There's an element of glamour to it for sure and a lot of them are shown having a shitload of fun (partying, loving, eating expensive dinners, travelling, etc). If there wasn't any appeal to it, so many guys wouldn't strive for it and want that gangster lifestyle. Not all of them were down on their luck with no other options while trying to feed three kids.

Also, put me down as not remembering anything about Karen and Tommy having and affair IRL.

Once upon a time me and a young idiot coworker were talking to my boss (who remains the only good boss I ever met), and Scarface came up. My idiot coworker was talking about how great Tony Montana was and when he was done, my boss grinned at him and said "yeah, I never saw all of it, what happened to him at the end?"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He gunned down all the cartel dudes and regained his empire as shown in Scarface: The World is Yours for PS2

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

He gunned down all the cartel dudes and regained his empire as shown in Scarface: The World is Yours for PS2

I wish someone would remake that game; it wasn't that good, but I liked it anyway and have no real way to play it anymore

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Funny you mention, I was thinking the other day they oughta make a Sopranos game (forget the actual one that existed) in the same vein where instead of the main character dyin- nevermind

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

codo27 posted:

Funny you mention, I was thinking the other day they oughta make a Sopranos game (forget the actual one that existed) in the same vein where instead of the main character dyin- nevermind

Maybe you should make the main character die so it'd be unlike the show. :smuggo:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

codo27 posted:

A sopranos table top RPG might be fun.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm trying to think who on the show would have an INT score above 12 and I'm drawing a blank. Maybe Hesh?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Dr. Krakower

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Another Bill posted:

I'm trying to think who on the show would have an INT score above 12 and I'm drawing a blank. Maybe Hesh?

Hesh is high wisdom and intelligence

Tony is 12 INT and 8 wisdom

Ralphie is 12 INT and 4 wisdom

Furio is 10 INT and 12 wisdom

All other gangsters are 8 INT/8 WIS

*except* for Little Carmine, who is 7 INT/14 WIS

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

A sopranos table top RPG might be fun.

I was trying to think of something on the SPECIAL system, but got stuck after

Stugots
Prosciutt
Eh what are ya gonna do
Commendatori

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I was trying to think of something on the SPECIAL system, but got stuck after

Stugots
Prosciutt
Eh what are ya gonna do
Commendatori

Italian, Full-Blooded
Ayyyyyyyyy!
Linguini

night slime
May 14, 2014
Any gangster dating tony's sister gets -3 int

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

night slime posted:

and -20% max HP

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I presume they call them "wise guys" for a reason...

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Human Tornada posted:

Paulie was the one having the affair with Karen Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq7kgNQWnXQ

Makes this scene really awkward.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I’m glad they left that out of the movie. Can’t remember if it came up in the commentary, I feel like I would have remembered if it did

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water
Apparently She-Hulk has two big spoilers from a character watching the Sopranos. I don't know what cause I ain't watching that garbage but loling pretty hard at people getting spoiled for a show that's old enough to drink. Anybody know exactly what?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They spoil Long Term Parking while a character is in the middle of watching it and Kennedy & Heidi shortly after.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

ruddiger posted:

They spoil Long Term Parking while a character is in the middle of watching it and Kennedy & Heidi shortly after.

I was hoping it was Long Term Parking, that owns.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So "character watches the Sopranos" is now considered good writing? :lol: I got a show to sell ya.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If you're over 20 and have seen literally any comic book jargon and not the Sopranos you deserve it

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

night slime posted:

At first I read this as sopranos dating sim

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Guys I need to show you who's been coming to visit me this week

They woke us up this morning, I almost went out in my house coat to feed them

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
this is how you TRYYYYYYY? :catstare:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

codo27 posted:

Guys I need to show you who's been coming to visit me this week

They woke us up this morning, I almost went out in my house coat to feed them

We have nearly identical baby-orangutan-finger toes

E: aw weird and our reg dates are a day apart, wtf

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 6, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Has anyone seen Amsterdam? Fairly boring movie given its all star cast, but there was a scene where they go to see Robert de Niro's character and the location and elements of the scene itself seemed to be a nod to Tony/Little Carmine going to see Phil, or that was my impression

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Happy Italian American Explorer Day!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

20 years since Artie got domed by that milkshake

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
On my normal cycle of rewatching and it's taken me this long to realize that Noah sucks so much goddamn.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I guess you were blinded by sympathy after Tony's racism towards him?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Pretty sure it's Noel

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPF54Hgo2vE

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlfQsotryaY

This series is loving killing me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

codo27 posted:

I guess you were blinded by sympathy after Tony's racism towards him?

Yep, pretty much.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

On my normal cycle of rewatching and it's taken me this long to realize that Noah sucks so much goddamn.

Yeah at first I was like "he's charming and cute and comes from entertainment industry money and Tony was so racist to him, that's awful, he's such a catch for Meadow!" and then I went "wait a minute, he's just a shell of pretentious pseudo-intellectualism with no personality inside other than vicious self-interest, like a mobster but boring instead of violent"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jamal Ginsberg the hasidic homeboy is so insanely racist but also gets a chuckle from me everytime. That and " Nobel Prize for what? Packing fudge?"

He's never racist towards Hesh . In conclusion, Tony Soprano is a land of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's racist to Hesh multiple times