Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

hadji murad posted:

I added some urls to 1blocker and it helped break twitter and I’m happier.

What I’m unhappy with is installing the new 1password which has stopped prompting me for passwords when it’s time to login. That’s the whole point.

Has anyone had similar?

You might have to re-enable it in the autofill settings? It's in the Settings app under passwords I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What’s the process like to upgrade to the new 1 password app? Cause if it’s more involved than pushing 1 button or something then I really can’t be bothered because it ain’t broke

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
All I had to do was login, change the settings in passwords and was done.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I tried the beta of the new 1Password and didn’t like it. Is the Apple password app getting any improvements in the new iOS?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The new 1Pass 8 is great and it's fantastic having a unified experience across iOS, MacOS and Windows.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FCKGW posted:

The new 1Pass 8 is great and it's fantastic having a unified experience across iOS, MacOS and Windows.

Unless you liked having standalone vaults, of course. If you liked those, you've probably already dropped 1Password.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

astral posted:

Unless you liked having standalone vaults, of course. If you liked those, you've probably already dropped 1Password.

1password lets you have multiple vaults? Not sure what you mean by standalone unless you want to keep the password on each device completely separate, I guess?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

He means the non-subscription based cloud vaults that do not work with 1Pass 8. Like self hosted in Dropbox or whatever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FCKGW posted:

He means the non-subscription based cloud vaults that do not work with 1Pass 8. Like self hosted in Dropbox or whatever.

Oh yeah drat I forgot that was a thing.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

You might have to re-enable it in the autofill settings? It's in the Settings app under passwords I think?

It was this.

Thanks a lot!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone know a good simple world map app for practicing my Worldle skills? Google maps gets a little cluttered when I all care about is national border shapes.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So after a couple of years of remote board games with friends over lockdown we’re finally starting to play a few more in person. Anyone got good board game score tracker apps, either per-player on phones or maybe a multi-person interface on iPad?

If they can do the complex score tallying for specific popular games that’s extra handy!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Can anyone recommend an alarm app that does like a puzzle or something to shut it off? I keep turning my alarm off and going back to sleep :cripes:

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can anyone recommend an alarm app that does like a puzzle or something to shut it off? I keep turning my alarm off and going back to sleep :cripes:

I’d also be interested in this if you find something. My current solution has been putting my old iPhone 6 in the next room with the alarm on - it seems getting out of bed actually triggers “have to wake up” where alarm next to the bed is “turn it off and wake up late for work, often not remembering I did that”.

The only problem is the old phone is getting a bit sad and I think I need a replacement, I have it on airplane mode and not plugged it: by the end of the week it’s about 3 minutes faster than the actual time, if I don’t reboot it during its weekly charge the alarm eventually stops going off - until the screen is turned on and then it’s like “oh poo poo alarm time” regardless if this is ten minutes or ten hours after the alarm time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keep your phone out of reach. Or get a proper alarm clock and leave that elsewhere. Trust me I snooze like the best out there and there’s nothing the phone can do to keep you awake if it’s not getting you out of bed.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Alarmy does this. It’s subscription now, but when I absolutely have to wake up there’s no competition for being forced to do three maths multiplications and typing two contrived platitudes.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I can’t believe there’s still no way to export a single reminder. I had to create a shortcut to do it. I use the app Remind Me Faster to jot down ideas super fast into the Reminders app, and I usually want to export those to a different writing app once I get home to do something with them.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Violator posted:

I can’t believe there’s still no way to export a single reminder. I had to create a shortcut to do it. I use the app Remind Me Faster to jot down ideas super fast into the Reminders app, and I usually want to export those to a different writing app once I get home to do something with them.

Sounds like you’d get a lot of mileage out of swapping to Drafts for your capture & export process.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Neurophonic posted:

Sounds like you’d get a lot of mileage out of swapping to Drafts for your capture & export process.

Yeah, I probably need to switch back to that. I used it for years but I’ve been trying to reduce how many apps I have poo poo spread across so I’ve been trying to use Reminders for quick input since I like the organizational tools they’ve introduced in the last few years but it’s just a pain in the rear end to get content out.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I just switched from Spotify to Apple Music and, after a brief adjustment period and wrapping my head around the different way it works, I'm really enjoying it. I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not but I swear the upgrade in audio quality is noticeable.

However, this puzzles me:

Why would they lump WiFi and 5G together like that? The main reason for having a separate toggle for LTE and Wifi in the first place is so that people can be mindful of their data usage while on mobile, so why wouldn't they group 5G with LTE?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Why would they lump WiFi and 5G together like that? The main reason for having a separate toggle for LTE and Wifi in the first place is so that people can be mindful of their data usage while on mobile, so why wouldn't they group 5G with LTE?

Seems stupid to me as well. Is 5G commonly packaged with unlimited data in the US, maybe? Here in Germany 5G is just a faster way of burning through your monthly traffic limit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Badly Jester posted:

Seems stupid to me as well. Is 5G commonly packaged with unlimited data in the US, maybe? Here in Germany 5G is just a faster way of burning through your monthly traffic limit.

It is yeah, but it's still dumb they do that

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

It only does that if you enable “allow more data” in Settings > Cellular

The assumption there is “turn it on, this person doesn’t give a poo poo about data usage, yolo”

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Buff Hardback posted:

It only does that if you enable “allow more data” in Settings > Cellular

The assumption there is “turn it on, this person doesn’t give a poo poo about data usage, yolo”

Huh, interesting and good to know. I do have unlimited (well, really 50GB before they start throttling me and I've never come close to hitting 50), so I'll leave it on and see how it goes.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Anybody know the best app for playing audiobooks transferred from a PC? Like a player where you can import files and the like rather than only buying them in-app

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anybody know the best app for playing audiobooks transferred from a PC? Like a player where you can import files and the like rather than only buying them in-app

I use Overcast but their upload feature is premium only. $10/year iirc.

Books will take your files out of a cloud provider and play them and remember your position and everything. Like just chuck them into a dropbox folder, wait for the upload, open the folder on your phone, share the file to Books.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I just switched from Spotify to Apple Music and, after a brief adjustment period and wrapping my head around the different way it works, I'm really enjoying it. I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not but I swear the upgrade in audio quality is noticeable.

However, this puzzles me:

Yes most US carriers are unlimited 5G.

Also, LTE is slow as hell, so music will take a long time to load.

Most of the cellular toggles that are apple made separate LTE and 5G

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Also, LTE is slow as hell, so music will take a long time to load.

Have they throttled the hell out of LTE or rebranded 3G in the US or something? LTE is nearly as fast as my wired home cable connection.

A song shouldn't take a perceptible amount of time to load on LTE.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Minotaurus Rex posted:

If you use Plex, Prologue is terrific.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

tuyop posted:

Have they throttled the hell out of LTE or rebranded 3G in the US or something? LTE is nearly as fast as my wired home cable connection.

American ISPs are legendary for taking funds for network improvements and doing gently caress all with them. Well, stock buybacks, I suppose.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LTE speed can be as low as 3mbps but most carriers are well over 10mbps. That downloads you an entire mp3 in four seconds or better. Worst case it's 13 seconds.. which still isn't unlivable. Definitely not "slow as hell".

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

tuyop posted:

ISPs just cheat speed tests and quietly throttle expensive media streams.

Ran speedtest again and got 250 Mbps, same <2 Mbps on fast.com though.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 26, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

Does using a VPN get around this anymore?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

tuyop posted:

Does using a VPN get around this anymore?

Fast.com doesn't work, but I got 170 on speedtest.net and 42 on google speedtester (116 without the VPN)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bound-audiobook-player/id1041727137

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

theflyingexecutive posted:

I didn't know about this (and don't really care beyond finding it interesting) but I just ran speedtest and peaked at 270mbps and fast gave me 4.2mbps lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lots of mobile plans have unlimited speeds but “video streaming capped at 720p” or whatever. Since Fast.com is a product of Netflix then it makes since it would be throttled on some providers.

I’ve found https://speed.cloudflare.com to be better than Speedtest anyways.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

FCKGW posted:

Lots of mobile plans have unlimited speeds but “video streaming capped at 720p” or whatever. Since Fast.com is a product of Netflix then it makes since it would be throttled on some providers.

I swear I read that was the exact reason for Netflix to create that site originally, to find out which ISP's were throttling their content.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

I swear I read that was the exact reason for Netflix to create that site originally, to find out which ISP's were throttling their content.

It is, but mainly for home ISPs who don’t that have that sort of explicit traffic management policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The FCC has a good speed test app.