Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

death penalty for poo poo companies might actually work. company you own stock in gets caught doing some bullshit? poof, there goes all your equity. not sure what to do with the debt, but it should probably go poof too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Mr. Fix It posted:

death penalty for poo poo companies might actually work. company you own stock in gets caught doing some bullshit? poof, there goes all your equity. not sure what to do with the debt, but it should probably go poof too.

obviously, folks would game this all out and poo poo would be the same or worse in short order

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:ok:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

its not just scammers that need to be punished for doing robocalls

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

duz posted:

how the hell is Dynata not on there? they spam call me at least once a day

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i get 1-2 a day from 833's on my real number and 1-2 a day from random 479's hitting my GV number (also a 479). sorry i dont know anybody in <checks notes> dardanelle, ar

I do not answer the phone if you are not on my contact list

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

If you’ve ever entered into a “business transaction” with them, they’re OK to continue “promoting business” with you.

A business transaction can be interpreted as something as simple as calling them once five years ago, or used your phone’s SMS to wait in a queue, or hell, maybe used your phone to express an opt-out preference.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Sniep posted:

how the hell is Dynata not on there? they spam call me at least once a day

They just really want to talk to you

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

of the last ten robocalls I’ve gotten one has been in English, one has been in French, and eight have been in Chinese. the scammers here know their target market

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

duz posted:

right, but it used to be. Then real companies noticed that its apparently not actually illegal and piled on

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

rotor posted:

right, but it used to be. Then real companies noticed that its apparently not actually illegal and piled on

I read somewhere this is basically the fault of the dude running the FTC now. I don't remember why, but I do know the guy is a complete loving tool.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Large Testicles posted:

I read somewhere this is basically the fault of the dude running the FTC now. I don't remember why, but I do know the guy is a complete loving tool.

I don’t think a dude runs it currently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Khan

She might still be bad though idk.

edit: I’m guessing you meant the FCC. still not a dude

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Rosenworcel

akadajet fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 15, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
the ftc handles telemarketing poo poo, but yeah lina khan is pretty good actually

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i thought ajit pai was still in charge there and it was the FCC i meant

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It is ajit's fault, but it takes some time to unfuck these, and i'm not sure rosenworcel is too inclined to piss off the people that cut them shitloads of dark money

Last good FCC chair we had was Riley Hollingsworth. You think this guy is gonna take any poo poo?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

ugh ajit pai is the worst

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it used to be impractical to track down spam calls on a mass scale, but thats changed in the last few years with caller id authentication. Pretty much now the only spam calls i get are to my goog voice number and thats almost certainly a goog issue. either them not handling authentication at all or not wanting to bother with any call blocking cause its a service they'd like to see die off.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
literally the only radio regulating ajit did in his tenure was (under trump of course) announcing a targeted, expensive, and largely ineffective "anti pirate radio" effort that was curiously laser-sighted on NYC, which is notable for having a pretty good handful of populist/lefty Puerto Rican pirate stations. Wonder who ordered that one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

spam calls tend to be easy to identify here because they spoof the first NPA-NXX portion of your own phone number 90% of the time so if I get caller ID from the same area NPA-NXX as my own number it's spam

other surefire ones are ones claiming to be from ottawa (CRA scam robocalls) and from the chinese consulate

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Kazinsal posted:

spam calls tend to be easy to identify here because they spoof the first NPA-NXX portion of your own phone number 90% of the time so if I get caller ID from the same area NPA-NXX as my own number it's spam

yeah same. the few that arent tend to be in mandarin, but i don't think i've received one in a couple of weeks now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what happened with that STIR/SHAKEN thing that was supposed to cut down on spam calls

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah same. the few that arent tend to be in mandarin, but i don't think i've received one in a couple of weeks now

I haven't answered one in over a year- at this point most don't even leave voicemails in Mandarin anymore.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

spam calls for me were bad about two weeks ago. note I got right wing grifting texting me several times a day. at least with ios16 it seems to have some kind of option to report it as spam with at&t when I delete the text. if anything is actually done when I report it, who know (I doubt it)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_470/3d588a5634d9e0cb329ea30a258ab907.mp4

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

IUG posted:

spam calls for me were bad about two weeks ago. note I got right wing grifting texting me several times a day. at least with ios16 it seems to have some kind of option to report it as spam with at&t when I delete the text. if anything is actually done when I report it, who know (I doubt it)

at least i hope it eventually shuts down the numbers being used/set as callerid from service, even if reactive instead of proactive

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hate it, thanks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

IUG posted:

oh yeah i get a ton of texts and at&t is absolutely loving garbage at filtering them out. most of them say they're from at&t even this shouldn't be hard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

IUG posted:

spam calls for me were bad about two weeks ago. note I got right wing grifting texting me several times a day.

i got a spam/phish sms yesterday with "Check out DR OZ's package!" lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao ugh

the right wing ones usually tell me someone signed up for the patriot raffle in my name and guess what! president trump picked a winner because it's you,

except president trump needs to be back in the white house first, so please send money

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

did you check it out?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

how was it?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

we need the deets on Oz's package

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Of course I did not click it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004