Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

Wait is there an actual translation of ccg being worked on somewhere

there's one on webnovel of middling quality, unless you were making a joke about it being MTL quality and like, it's not THAT bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Megazver posted:

That's going to be in about four years at the current rate.

The author wrote and finished an entire new webnovel since then. (That one's shorter at 300 chapters, though.)

That's certainly understandable. If I had written a 2800 chapter webnovel, my next work would definitely be much shorter too! And, well, I think everybody assumed the jokes in Cultivation Chat Group about a webnovel author kidnapped and forced to write chapters came from somewhere.

Tobermory posted:

The other two Jin Yong books to absolutely read are The Smiling Proud Wanderer and Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils. Something like 3/4 of the wuxia cliches can be traced back to those three books.

Or if you want to go old-school, check out the Water Margin.

I'll check them out at some point! I hadn't realized wuxia's antecedents went back that far, although I suppose that's like saying the Western fantasy genre dates back to the 14th century because of something like Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

It's really fun reading well-respected popular literature in translation. I've read less reputable stuff in translation before, of course (I'm in the webnovel thread), as well as less popular literary fiction, but I don't have much experience reading really good popular stuff. I think the only other author I've read that falls into the same category is Eco.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

there's one on webnovel of middling quality, unless you were making a joke about it being MTL quality and like, it's not THAT bad

oh i guess that translation was what i read

it isn't necessarily of the worst quality but it translates little enough it reads like an mtl and i've been under the presumption it was the whole time. probably just an artifact of how much harder comedy is to translate

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno about ccg, but there are plenty of mtl chapters of various works on webnovel. random stretches of random wn's just become completely incomprehensible. it's not surprising, really. they put out a lot of translations at an inhuman pace for pathetic wages. that's not exactly a recipe for consistent quality.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah, the CCG translation is definitely not just MTL; there are translator notes regularly, and most terms and names are translated consistently. Even the bizarre decision to translate the word after “twice” and “thrice” as “frice” is consistent. I don’t remember ever seeing gendered pronoun mistakes either.

It’s not a great translation, but I’ve seen much worse.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nrook posted:

Even the bizarre decision to translate the word after “twice” and “thrice” as “frice” is consistent.
mmm, fried rice

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nrook posted:

Yeah, the CCG translation is definitely not just MTL; there are translator notes regularly, and most terms and names are translated consistently. Even the bizarre decision to translate the word after “twice” and “thrice” as “frice” is consistent. I don’t remember ever seeing gendered pronoun mistakes either.

It’s not a great translation, but I’ve seen much worse.

'Hand guided tractor' is a pretty bad character-by-character translation too. It's a real object and despite having like a million names (two-wheel tractor, walking tractor, single-axle tractor, etc), nobody actually calls it that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I still have no idea what Big Dipper is/was in the recent CCG translation chapters.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CCG's translation is above-average, mostly because that average is loving underground but still. it just has some weird words now and then

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Paladin posted:

Hey everyone, I'm trying to plan out a portfolio project and am going to make a WordPress theme optimized for ebooks and web novels.

Other than making the default display readable, display setting customization, and a functional table of contents, is there anything you wish that more web novel sites had, or made easier from a reader's perspective?

Make sure Next/Prev Chapter navigation shows up in mobile Chrome/Safari’s Reader Mode. If you want to get spicy, code it so that Reader Mode goes into infinite scroll mode (where it auto fetches the next chapter).

Afaik both should work automatically as long as your html is structured semantically, but we’re talking Wordpress here sooo

I got started in front end dev work via Wordpress so feel free to PM me if you have any questions or whatever. (Fair warning I haven’t touched WP in like five years so for all I know it’s been rewritten in Rust)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
make sure it doesn't make the reader mode pop up because it gets more insistent on me clicking it every update and i keep clicking it by accident and it likes to break formatting so what's the point anyway. and I can't turn it off!!!!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I’m re-reading Bloodlines (Cradle) and I had forgotten how painful it is to read. It might as well be titled: everyone acts like a suicidal idiot, a malicious idiot, or both (except Ziel).

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 21, 2022

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
There's a lot of "oh, an army of Golds, the legendary cultivators that are like gods to us? Let's try to stab them! Ah hah, you'll never expect my third sudden betrayal in a row!"

For me it was most frustrating the first time, after that it was just silly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly Bloodline ruled and my only regret is that we didn't get more of Lindon interacting with the people he grew up with. Besides it was nice to see all of Sacred Valley get its comeuppance after Unsouled and the Adama flashbacks.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Bloodline reminded me a bit of times in my life when I accomplished a long term goal, only to realize that I had changed over the years since I started working towards the goal and I didn't really care anymore. "Oh I guess I saved Sacred Valley, sort of. They suck though. Now what?"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zore posted:

Honestly Bloodline ruled and my only regret is that we didn't get more of Lindon interacting with the people he grew up with. Besides it was nice to see all of Sacred Valley get its comeuppance after Unsouled and the Adama flashbacks.

Hey, not all of Sacred Valley. Apparently the Kazan (or whatever the rock people were called) were cool! Literally the only faction that isn't terrible apparently.

edit: I think there was also one of the "elite" schools that, while not exactly good, was at least pragmatic enough to not repeatedly try to backstab the powerful outside cultivators. The leaf one IIRC

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Leaf school was fine, and the other two schools just nopped out of the whole situation, self-evacuation without needing outside help.

Conveniently for the narrative it turns out the shittiest factions were the ones Lindon was most familiar with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've been enjoying nine star burden despite the translation eventually devolving into barely edited mtl gibberish. there are a lot of really weird relationships and a strangely heavy focus on depression with multiple magic powers that cause depression in addition to more mundane causes. the mc later gets a fuckin' wide-range aoe that causes extreme depression while slowly killing its targets which also affects himself. like, wtf? it's also got a strong streak of patriotic fervor that, very uncommonly, is not racist or xenophobic. unfortunately, now the mtl gibberish seems to have decided that two completely distinct cultivation phases have the same name. for example,

quote:

To give an extreme example, let’s say that you in the Galaxy stage and you in the Galaxy stage didn’t have any changes in all the indicators of your body. You only had an increase in the level of star power and entered the Galaxy stage.

galaxy is the third stage, and i don't know what the fourth stage is. neither of them have been called anything other than galaxy. this poo poo drives me nuts!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i've been enjoying the evolution of "kicked out of hero's party" novel summaries over the years where it's gone from "was kicked out because they legit couldn't keep up" to the now extremely-common ""THE HERO SAID MY INVINCIBLE DEATH GOD ABILITY WAS USELESS BUT IT'S ACTUALLY THE STRONGESt??? WHA??? wAAHHAAATT????"

e: i haven't actually read most of the novels themselves of course but i'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and guess they're all bad

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 15, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I can only assume one is very good

(it has two readers, one of which is the author's mother, and is posted on some site you will never find, in a language you can't read)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Was it ever, "I was kicked out of the party for legitimate reasons that were my fault, but I admit that now and am trying to be better," or is that sufficiently out-of-genre that it's just a regular fantasy story?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

maltesh posted:

Was it ever, "I was kicked out of the party for legitimate reasons that were my fault, but I admit that now and am trying to be better," or is that sufficiently out-of-genre that it's just a regular fantasy story?

No, because that kind of protagonist is always a just an innocent loser nerd who never did anything wrong, but now he's coming back for vengeance against that evil Chad (and also every woman in existence that he doesn't use his super ability to enslave)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's kind of like how one of the staple openers of the villainess genre is the villainess' fiance falling in love with the heroine and dumping the villainess after she tries to kill the heroine evolving bit by bit until we're at the point the villainess is in fact the blameless victim.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a fantasy about self esteem. oh, surely in some other workplace i'd be valued, respected, and because this is still webnovels we are talking about, loved by a harem of underage girls. and then, surely my former coworkers and bosses would deeply regret my absence.

or at least that's how it started. now some of them are just imitations of imitations which don't quite manage even this simple, slightly pathetic premise.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Piell posted:

No, because that kind of protagonist is always a just an innocent loser nerd who never did anything wrong, but now he's coming back for vengeance against that evil Chad (and also every woman in existence that he doesn't use his super ability to enslave)

"No, you see, the Chad is the one who enslaves women. I just buy them from other people who enslave them, and pay for them to be magically bound so they can never disobey me, because otherwise I can't trust them. And they like it."

Usually, he doesn't have to go looking for the vengeance either, the Chad's ruined party will usually deliver to the doorstep for free.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a fantasy about self esteem. oh, surely in some other workplace i'd be valued, respected, and because this is still webnovels we are talking about, loved by a harem of underage girls. and then, surely my former coworkers and bosses would deeply regret my absence.

or at least that's how it started. now some of them are just imitations of imitations which don't quite manage even this simple, slightly pathetic premise.

a lot of those make the workplace so comically bad that it turns around into making the main character look like a moron for putting up with it for so long. like if you spent five years working at a place where everyone hates you, you're paid like poo poo, you never get any time off, you do all the work for the entire office, and you never get any credit for anything... maybe you deserve to be exploited because that's some terminal peasant brain

speaking of copy-of-a-copy the oddest webnovels ive read are those that dont seem to understand their own premise. like they write a power fantasy where the main character is super powerful and then....he just acts like a loser sad sack who gets pushed around and never actually stands up for himself? idk who those stories are even for. it seems to be only japanese webnovels that do this, its very weird.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Stexils posted:

speaking of copy-of-a-copy the oddest webnovels ive read are those that dont seem to understand their own premise. like they write a power fantasy where the main character is super powerful and then....he just acts like a loser sad sack who gets pushed around and never actually stands up for himself? idk who those stories are even for. it seems to be only japanese webnovels that do this, its very weird.

A lot of people misunderstand "write what you know".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so-called black companies are a very real problem in japan, though i'd expect most aren't nearly as exaggerated as the manga versions. it's just capitalism squeezing workers, same as usual. still, the basic conflict of "this job is absolutely terrible but it is the only one i could get" is very relatable.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

so-called black companies are a very real problem in japan, though i'd expect most aren't nearly as exaggerated as the manga versions. it's just capitalism squeezing workers, same as usual. still, the basic conflict of "this job is absolutely terrible but it is the only one i could get" is very relatable.

yeah but they usually dont set up the job as the only one they can get or the MC needing the job for whatever reason, the character just inexplicably sticks around for no reason.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it's always been funny hearing about people working 80 hour weeks for Amazon or whatever and it's like dude you could work literally anywhere else

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

maltesh posted:

I know of two that are close enough.

Dungeon Reset: MC isn't technically kicked out but is abandoned because he fell in a trap and they figured he was dead either way and they were in a time crunch. It takes him awhile, but he eventually accepts responsibility for his own fate and becomes a better person.

I Was Dismissed from the Hero’s Party Because They Don’t Need My Training Skills, so I Strengthen My [Fief] Which I Got as a Replacement for My Retirement Money.
^
Yes, that whole thing is the title. I think it does all the describing necessary?

The Wholesome Isekai thread can probably dig up a few more if you ask there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the latter is funny because the manga adaptation has really horny art for what is otherwise a mostly horny-free story.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i think it was the fief one where the protagonist admits he can't keep up anymore and has a touching farewell with the hero

too bad the rest of it is dull as dishwater, but hey a single interesting chapter is 1 more than most of them have

Piell posted:

To be "fair" most of the time it's not outright vengeance but "the hero party naturally falls apart without my contributions/really obviously strong skill that everyone looks down upon for no reason"

and y'know fundamentally "getting away from toxic workplace to somewhere that appreciates you" is a nice fantasy idea in capitalist hellworld, but I don't think i've ever seen it executed well without getting creepy at some point.

e: also it's been copied so many times and seems to get increasingly cartoonish every single time

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 16, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I remember seeing a graduate student wish fulfilment where the protagonist ends up in a wizard university and immediately gets a ton of really good papers published in great magical journals, and the author emphasizes that shorter journals are more prestigious so Magical Theory of Elemental Energy is mediocre but getting published in Magic is impressive, etc

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tunicate posted:

I remember seeing a graduate student wish fulfilment where the protagonist ends up in a wizard university and immediately gets a ton of really good papers published in great magical journals, and the author emphasizes that shorter journals are more prestigious so Magical Theory of Elemental Energy is mediocre but getting published in Magic is impressive, etc
well at least they know how journal names (mostly) work

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Sounds interesting. Link?

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/58065/quill-still-gods-chemistry-and-a-whole-lot-of

I've been enjoying Quill & Still, but good god the main character is so heavily trans coded without being explicitly identified as trans and it's killing me
but in a good way

I'm sorta laughing quietly to myself thinking of how many trans references are going straight over the heads of the average reader, cause there's been a lot

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Sounds interesting. Link?

don't have a current link since NU now just puts up the webnovel.com one, but it's throne of magical arcana

IIRC he also plagirizes Beethoven a bunch before setting off for wizard school

the biggest wrinkle in the setting is that because wizards tie up their magical powers with their comprehension of the universe, if you disprove them hard enough their heads will literally explode

you'd think that'd end up being more interesting but sadly it wasn't.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

BadMedic posted:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/58065/quill-still-gods-chemistry-and-a-whole-lot-of

I've been enjoying Quill & Still, but good god the main character is so heavily trans coded without being explicitly identified as trans and it's killing me
but in a good way

I'm sorta laughing quietly to myself thinking of how many trans references are going straight over the heads of the average reader, cause there's been a lot
There were three rooms, and I stared blankly at the one across the hallway from mine. It was a mirror of my own room in every way, from the position of the bathroom to the sleeping pad, though the pad was in a deep purple with red trim rather than the pastel blues with white and pink trim of mine.

I assume the shark is in the... no, wait, Blĺhaj was last chapter.

edit: I had forgotten how unsubtle the first chapter was lol

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

90s Cringe Rock posted:

edit: I had forgotten how unsubtle the first chapter was lol

Yeah at this point she's intentionally just throwing trans memes in there