Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I want home games for the wild card series as much as anyone, but drat if the #3 wild card doesn't look to have an easier path to the ALCS than #s 1 or 2.

Am I wrong thinking that Cleveland in Cleveland and then the Yankees seems an easier path than the alternative? At the very least, being the #3 WC beats the crap out of being the #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Tony Phillips posted:

I want home games for the wild card series as much as anyone, but drat if the #3 wild card doesn't look to have an easier path to the ALCS than #s 1 or 2.

Am I wrong thinking that Cleveland in Cleveland and then the Yankees seems an easier path than the alternative? At the very least, being the #3 WC beats the crap out of being the #2.

if you're getting wide-eyed and thinking the Mariners can make a run then you want the Astros in the DS, not the CS. Your only real advantage is pitching*, 5 game series vs. 7 game series highlights the strength of the Mariners 4 man and the bullpen.

*: I don't know if there's actually an advantage there one way or the other. Depends on health and who's hot going in.

If you're a team that has a really powerful offense then I'd probably go with the #3 then because the Astros are clearly the best AL team and you want as many shots as you can for an offensive explosion.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

*Ejected players may be replaced by a member of the crowd

Also if the manager gets ejected then they have to take all coaches and support staff with them (except bat boys/girls)

Ejected players go in a penalty box and they get to come back in when the other team scores. It can happen in the middle of a play even so the box has to be on the baselines so the guy can get out there ASAP.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Instead of posting a negative thing about the Twins today I will post a cool thing

https://twitter.com/aarongleeman/status/1570230028872617984

2005 Johan was robbed, gently caress you Bartolo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Ejected players go in a penalty box and they get to come back in when the other team scores. It can happen in the middle of a play even so the box has to be on the baselines so the guy can get out there ASAP.

It's a new door in the outfield wall so they have to come running out like a bullpen pitcher pretending they want to get in on a brawl

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

if you're getting wide-eyed and thinking the Mariners can make a run then you want the Astros in the DS, not the CS. Your only real advantage is pitching*, 5 game series vs. 7 game series highlights the strength of the Mariners 4 man and the bullpen.

*: I don't know if there's actually an advantage there one way or the other. Depends on health and who's hot going in.

If you're a team that has a really powerful offense then I'd probably go with the #3 then because the Astros are clearly the best AL team and you want as many shots as you can for an offensive explosion.

Hadn't thought about the difference between the ALDS and ALCS being 5 and 7 games. Crapshoot that the playoffs can be - I suppose it's easier to sneak through a best of 5 than a 7.

Don't have any actual expectations for the M's. Still too high on the season in general to give a rip. They kicked the football, man. They finally kicked it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This Mariners playoff conversation seems extremely cursed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The league should incorporate The Freeze into the game. Teams at bat can put their fastest runner in the outfield and if he can run the entire length of the track during a pitch and not get beaned by the ball, all runners get to advance.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
You guys are just describing Jermaball.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wouldn't the Mariners ideal case be to avoid the Astros all together and not face them during a hypothetical run?

Revenge forces are on the Mariners side however.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mustached Demon posted:

Wouldn't the Mariners ideal case be to avoid the Astros all together and not face them during a hypothetical run?

Revenge forces are on the Mariners side however.

In that case, we're counting on getting the 6th seed and hoping that one of the other two WC teams beats the Astros in the ALDS, while we play the Yankees.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm going to games in Oakland and SF soon, where should I sit? I tend to prefer first base side.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's not even trying at this point

For you, the day Javy Baez waved impotently at thee sliders in the left hand batters box was the single most appalling at-bat you’ve ever seen, but for me it was Tuesday.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Alek Manoah publicly executed some lovely Toronto-area "journalist" for mocking Kirk's physique:

https://twitter.com/Alek_Manoah6/status/1570240672267116544

The guy got owned so hard that he deleted his entire social media existence, but this reddit comment preserved it all.

Manoah just continues to be the loving best.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Glad to see Tony is feeling well again

https://twitter.com/mlberrors/status/1570448958559772675

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

more falafel please posted:

I'm going to games in Oakland and SF soon, where should I sit? I tend to prefer first base side.

Oakland: Bleachers are a blast, particularly RF in my experience unless that's changed in the past year. If you want non-bleacher seats just get as close as possible: tickets are cheap even after ownership jacked the prices up. Stubhub/TicketMaster/etc are better than buying direct, particularly close to the actual game dates. I saw Ohtani's US pitching debut in O.Co from the 3rd row on the 3B side and it cost me $30 for the seat. :v:

SF: 300's on the 3B side gives you both the game and the bay which is a really special view. The arcade is also fun if a bit difficult to get cheap tickets to since you're on the RF wall between the bay and the park. 1B side is kinda just whatever in SF, like it's a nice park no matter where you sit but there's not anything that stands out if you sit on that side.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

more falafel please posted:

If you see anyone at O.Co wearing those "Oakland Colosseum - The last dive bar in the MLB" shirts - tell them I think they're cool.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This Mariners postseason discussion is adorable.

You fools, there is no “preferable” path. Once you step over that threshold it is all chaos. Hoping for a particular postseason opponent will bring nothing but the wrath of a vengeful baseball god. Let this knowledge seep deep into your bones.

It’s October, anything can happen.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bawfuls posted:

You fools, there is no “preferable” path. Once you step over that threshold it is all chaos. Hoping for a particular postseason opponent will bring nothing but the wrath of a vengeful baseball god. Let this knowledge seep deep into your bones.

Chaos gods are the true heroes of baseball.

Some Numbers posted:

In that case, we're counting on getting the 6th seed and hoping that one of the other two WC teams beats the Astros in the ALDS, while we play the Yankees.

Mariners don't have a good tract record vs the Yankees in October so it's really lose lose. Vote for chaos (see above).

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Is .261 his BAC?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The prodigal son will at last soon return

https://twitter.com/M_Montemurro/status/1570156194165313536

bawfuls posted:

:hai:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bawfuls posted:

It's been 21 years. I've forgotten the rules.

But point taken. Screw the #3WC. Home games at T-Mobile or nothing. Let chaos reign, The M's are going to march right up to the Astros in the ALDS and the five minutes or so that I think they have a change before it's 8-1 in the 4th inning of game 1 are going to be so so sweet.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

thehoodie posted:

Alek Manoah publicly executed some lovely Toronto-area "journalist" for mocking Kirk's physique:

The guy got owned so hard that he deleted his entire social media existence, but this reddit comment preserved it all.

drat, Manoah rules for putting this moron on blast. What a garbage take.

Jubs posted:

Is .261 his BAC?

:laffo:

Poque fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 15, 2022

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Jubs posted:

Is .261 his BAC?

:captainpop:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

thehoodie posted:

manoah owns. The funny part is that it wasn't even a journalist, it was some moron tsn radio host trying to be edgy.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I hope Atlanta can put up 20 or more on a division foe again this year. Just doesn't feel right if they don't

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bawfuls posted:

It’s this. Mapping out your best path and writing off a team as easier to beat I just daring someone up there to stick it to you and your friends to laugh at you. You count your magic number and then you stock up on your coping agent of choice.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's not the day after 162 I won't believe it will happen

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Unless you play the Twins in the playoffs of course, then you can go ahead and look towards your next opponent.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
WC3 does seem tempting but I want the Jays to get WC1 so that they can have home games and we can see just how dedicated to their anti-vax stance people like Robbie Ray are.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Jubs posted:

Is .261 his BAC?

:thurman:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MrMidnight posted:

Unless you play the Twins in the playoffs of course, then you can go ahead and look towards your next opponent.

Nobody is playing the twins in the playoffs this year

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Gobias Ind. posted:

WC3 does seem tempting but I want the Jays to get WC1 so that they can have home games and we can see just how dedicated to their anti-vax stance people like Robbie Ray are.

Don't we know that Ray is at least minimally vaccinated from last season?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think the Mets should let the Pirates sweep this series -- hear me out! -- in honor of Roberto Clemente.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Hand Knit posted:

Don't we know that Ray is at least minimally vaccinated from last season?

Athletes were exempt for a while, weren't they? I don't even remember anymore. Or maybe he is vaccinated and just didn't make the trip to Toronto this year for some other reason? Seems weird that he wouldn't come and celebrate his Cy Young as a visitor if he was able to enter the country.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm surprised this is the first time this has happened

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/1570504281316552704?s=20&t=8QzVDCDY7C3mheczYkF5oA

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Alderson's stepping down as Mets president once they find a successor. He'll be a special advisor after that, which generally just means "does nothing but gets paid"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Alderson's stepping down as Mets president once they find a successor. He'll be a special advisor after that, which generally just means "does nothing but gets paid"

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1570536061402771456

lol I choose to believe the Cubs got Sandy fired.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

lol I choose to believe the Cubs got Sandy fired.

You're welcome Mets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Aka the Ned Colletti track

Will he eventually become a scout for the NY Rangers?