Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

thank you. i had a very difficult summer but am recovering. please take care of your mental health and make sure to let people who care about you help you when you are struggling.

i don't think it is healthy for me to post post post like i used to, but i did miss talking about airplanes and motorcycles and 3d rendering and stuff. just no more hellworld poo poo

sagebrush is back. hellworld is over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

poo poo, get well soon goon

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i am glad youre back sagebrush

please feel free to join me in not posting hellworld nonsense

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

non hellworld, just funy computer: i got to drive a friend's tesla for a couple of weeks this summer and have formed a firsthand opinion of it.

- actually a lot of fun if you just drive it as a car. fun acceleration, pretty good handling for something that heavy, quiet. electric vehicles are cool.
- surprisingly comfy seats.
- interior materials are cheap. corolla level, but toyota has better qc. not like actively garbage but lol at anyone calling it "luxury."
- don't like one pedal driving but i guess you'd get used to it.
- hate the big touchscreen with too many distractions. i was always looking at it and messing with it.
- pretty big turning circle and terrible rear visibility (model y).
- self driving cruise is pretty great on boring empty highways.
- self driving in the city is awful, i hate it, it tried to kill us at least once on every trip and it has no ability to do anything but react to what it can see immediately in front. it is just gas brake gas brake gas brake gas brake gas brake the whole time. it loving sucks.

i would still not buy a tesla but i would like an electric car now, i think.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah we have an MG electric car and its pretty cool

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the new Hyundai that looks like a Datsun is super cool looking, and the EVs from VW/Audi are pretty nice

if rivian is Doin Thangs in partnership with Daimler I could see their stuff being really good as well

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

- don't like one pedal driving but i guess you'd get used to it.

what do you mean? do teslas not have a break pedal?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

post hole digger posted:

they do but you can run them in one pedal mode

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also lol. every pedal in a tesla is a "break" pedal

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

post hole digger posted:

they dont need a pedal to break

e: f u jonny290

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i was behind a tesla trying turning right at a stoplight the other day and the breaks were flashing like a strobe light

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the new Hyundai that looks like a Datsun is super cool looking

the ioniq? i rode in one earlier this week and they're really loving nice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

post hole digger posted:

they do, but they also have a "one pedal driving mode" (which tesla recommends you use) where acceleration and braking are both blended in the right pedal. push down to send power to the motors, let off to start regenerative braking (rather than coasting). to maintain speed, you hold the pedal at an intermediate position. let off the pedal completely and the car will apply strong regenerative braking and quickly bring you to a full stop, blending in the service brakes at the end to hold the car in position. in normal driving, you generally do not use the brake pedal at all.

elon musk says this is great because it means the brake pads will last the life of the vehicle.

i feel like this may be unsafe because it's very different from how every other car works, and the idea of training people "try to never touch that other pedal if you can!" doesn't sit well with me.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

so tesla has a golf cart mode

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

my in laws have an electric car that is highlighter yellow. they live in a smaller community that's only accessible by ferry so everyone always knows when they're around

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that would probably have been a much simpler way to describe it, but i have never driven a golf cart so i didn't know that's how they work

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Sagebrush posted:

thank you. i had a very difficult summer but am recovering. please take care of your mental health and make sure to let people who care about you help you when you are struggling.

i don't think it is healthy for me to post post post like i used to, but i did miss talking about airplanes and motorcycles and 3d rendering and stuff. just no more hellworld poo poo

glad you're back sagebrush, glad you're doing better, it's good to post in moderation (but not to moderate posts)

cjs: it's fun to get hires images from websites via inspect/console. it is the closest i'll ever get to being a leet hacker

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nudgenudgetilt posted:

the ioniq? i rode in one earlier this week and they're really loving nice

https://www.businessinsider.com/hyundai-electric-car-n-vision-74-grandeur-heritage-hydrogen-2022-7

:kimchi:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

also lol. every pedal in a tesla is a "break" pedal

Roosevelt posted:

they dont need a pedal to break

e: f u jonny290

:banjo:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

that would probably have been a much simpler way to describe it, but i have never driven a golf cart so i didn't know that's how they work

it's not quite the same, but golf carts tend to decelerate pretty quickly when you let off the accelerator.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

elon musk says this is great because it means the brake pads will last the life of the vehicle.

this is so blindingly stupid, even compared to the rest of the things this jerk says and does

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

better video

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7140947330286488837

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

nudgenudgetilt posted:

it's not quite the same, but golf carts tend to decelerate pretty quickly when you let off the accelerator.

they also don't roll forward if you're not pushing the gas. so yeah elon re-invented the golf cart

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My car has three pedals and pressing any of them makes the engine stall

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the new Hyundai that looks like a Datsun is super cool looking, and the EVs from VW/Audi are pretty nice

if rivian is Doin Thangs in partnership with Daimler I could see their stuff being really good as well

the ioniq 5 is so loving cool

that pixel taillight fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

the yospos car

i hope it's still like that in a few years when i get a new car

E: holy gently caress the n vision is sexy as hell

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rip mumbles menino

gold star if you understand this reference

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

yeah! it's the weekend.. finally! time to ollie out

see you in the weekend thread, posting pals

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cls: idr what thread I had talked about it in, but my dad officially has lost his house and has to be out by the end of next week

don’t let your greedy boomer parents get scammed, folks

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: burping garlic pizza into my mask

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

cjs: spent today prying information out of a goofy vendor whose documentation doesn't match reality. finally got linked up to someone with enough clue to describe the requirements in detail and thought the issue was being closed out when the original customer-service script-jockey has to chime in with this gold:

"A $product can only support 4 $product_servers, so $server 0-4. (I'm just being pedantic)"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Vintersorg posted:

the ioniq 5 is so loving cool

that pixel taillight fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

the yospos car

i hope it's still like that in a few years when i get a new car

have you heard of used cars?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Vintersorg posted:

theres a few good pics in the Cpunk thread, I like the design a lot

edit:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Roosevelt posted:

they also don't roll forward if you're not pushing the gas. so yeah elon re-invented the golf cart

during my college student job we had access to golf carts. one of my coworkers used a ziptie to disable the speed governor and i'm glad i wasn't there because it did not end well.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

graph give me some jungle recs

I found piri & tommy the other day and it’s very nice and chill but still has a good beat and rhythm

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Someone should buy the entirety of the old Packard plant and turn it into the National Museum of the Techno Arts

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Friday raves by the DJ in Residence

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

graph give me some jungle recs

not really a jungle fan sry

Fortaleza posted:

Someone should buy the entirety of the old Packard plant and turn it into the National Museum of the Techno Arts

tresor bought it but :waves hands:

matti
Mar 31, 2019

NoneMoreNegative posted:

theres a few good pics in the Cpunk thread, I like the design a lot

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vETonlaTZ4c

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://selector.news/2020/12/16/tresor-founder-detroit-club-canceled-packard-plant-sold/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

yeah it sucks