Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Anyone looked at Zorbus yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Zorbus is great, and goon made. It has it's own thread and you can likely still play the free version.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926278&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

https://www.zorbus.net/

I'm bad at it though I don't think I've ever made it past the 4th or 5th floor.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

This looks pretty cool. I am intrigued and wish to know more (and tossed them my email).
Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN1I_znpzrk

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I ran into Havel The Rock in Celebration of Violence and then killed him with my pitchfork. Then I got an accessory that seemingly switched the movesets for my 2 equipped weapons so I got to run around stabbing people with a giant club twice the size of my own body

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ICoV trip report: I got annoyed by bees so I pushed their hive in a campfire and accidentally burned down the entire forest

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I do that so often that the tree god's shrines are regularly surrounded by angry trees that try to kill me :v:

goferchan posted:

I ran into Havel The Rock in Celebration of Violence and then killed him with my pitchfork. Then I got an accessory that seemingly switched the movesets for my 2 equipped weapons so I got to run around stabbing people with a giant club twice the size of my own body

Congrats on unlocking the slowest class in the game!! Havel is neat but my god does he ever drag his rear end around at a snail's pace.

The Scabbard is one of my favourite items. You can get some kickass combinations with that thing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

Congrats on unlocking the slowest class in the game!! Havel is neat but my god does he ever drag his rear end around at a snail's pace.

The Scabbard is one of my favourite items. You can get some kickass combinations with that thing.

Yeah it was nice having his weapon on my Peasant but the movement speed in this game is already about as slow as I can tolerate, I will probably not be playing that new class very much. Oh, a question -- on that run I made it through the Caves and fought an Obsidian Guardian boss with a ton of armor and a sword with massive reach. Is there a trick to him or is he just a big tank? Feels like it took forever to whittle his armor down and by the time I was close I had traded too many hits with him and I died. I wasn't sure if there was a piercing mechanic or an element that interacted favorably against armored enemies or something that I was missing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

He's just a huge brick. He wiped the floor with me when I tried to parry him, but going in with a stone shield let me make an absolute mockery of him. You just gotta stay calm and lower the shield between swings so your stamina can come back.

He has a fairly predictable moveset, so I suspect you could beat him with dodging if you stay very calm and don't get too greedy with your attacks.

e: the more I play this game, the more convinced I become that the humble pitchfork is secretly kind of an excellent weapon. It's fast as gently caress, has very little stamina cost, parries well, and has an extremely reliable moveset. The short poke has a narrow effective range but is superb for punishing if you can place it well, and the longer stab not only has no real blindspot, but also chains into the short poke with incredible effectiveness. You can parry > stab > poke > poke and still have stamina left over to dodge around or parry again. Slap an elemental effect and an upgrade or two on the pitchfork, and it'll carry you through the early game and potentially remain a valuable swap right up to the end.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 17, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I don't have many classes or weapons unlocked yet but I always feel like starting a run by upgrading my pitchfork to +2 is a good investment. Very efficient stamina-wise and the range keeps me alive. Also just discovered you can do a charging thrust if you right-click after building up some speed sprinting which is cool

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

The best thing about the hallucination effect is that if hallucinatory archers shoot hallucinatory arrows through real fire, the hallucinatory arrows are set on real fire and will ignite nearby terrain at the point of impact :v:

e: ICoV has shades of IVAN and I mean that in the best way possible

ICoV has the prettiest fire I've seen in an indie game. That was the first thing about the game that really made me take notice. It's also really satisfying when it spreads unchecked and I walk over to a bare part of map littered with xp crystals.

The IVAN comparison is apt, too. It has IVAN'S kind of complex, but incredibly stupid, interactivity and darkly comedic deaths. A Violent Revelry looks to be leaning even more into that, with weapons getting stuck in and on things like slimes and corpses.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I do have a few questions about ICoV. Is there some particular way to get schematics? I found one, but I don’t know how I got it. Also, what am I supposed to be using exp on? Am I supposed to bank it after bosses? Someone upthread mentioned that spending your exp on stats is a trap early on, but it seems like you lose it as soon as you leave the Sanctuary, so then do I spend it all on metal or something?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i only recently started playing but there are those floaty ghost guys who seem to consistently drop schematics but they do just randomly sometimes end up as drop from normal enemies i think

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

megane posted:

I do have a few questions about ICoV. Is there some particular way to get schematics? I found one, but I don’t know how I got it. Also, what am I supposed to be using exp on? Am I supposed to bank it after bosses? Someone upthread mentioned that spending your exp on stats is a trap early on, but it seems like you lose it as soon as you leave the Sanctuary, so then do I spend it all on metal or something?

The Sanctuary has all the shrines, so if you don't have anything else to spend on, you can buy materials and offer them for stat boosts

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Buying stats early is not necessarily a trap. Grab a point or two of Speed whenever you get the chance, and your time and sanity will thank you for it.

Aside from that yeah, doing more stuff and unlocking achievements is much more valuable early on. Every achievement gives you something new - starting resources, another class, or another piece of starting gear for one of the classes.

Whenever possible, make lots of weapons at stores and/or spend lots of metal during your early runs. Doing this unlocks Blacksmith, who is annoyingly slow but is otherwise a fantastic class for exploring, trying poo poo, and unlocking stuff

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I've been playing a ton more Ring of Pain in between Alina of the Arena binges, and I can't really express just how bonkers good it is as a kind of turn your mind off, just click and watch something else game. I'm working on collecting the last 20 item unlocks or so and I'm not sure how much longevity it'll have after that, but if it seems like it might even remotely click for you, it gets a hearty loving recommend from me.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is caves of qud made by a goon?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

icantfindaname posted:

Yea at least in part

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

goferchan posted:

Yeah I don't have many classes or weapons unlocked yet but I always feel like starting a run by upgrading my pitchfork to +2 is a good investment. Very efficient stamina-wise and the range keeps me alive. Also just discovered you can do a charging thrust if you right-click after building up some speed sprinting which is cool

sprinting!?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I somehow missed that r was the cast button and when I clicked it near people as the bandit it did nothing. Turns out that's one that triggers on the cursor.

I suggest rebinding. I think the dev has huge hands.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

John Lee posted:

sprinting!?

Middle mouse button, in defiance of all known design principles

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
ICoV is also only $2.59 on Switch right now, dunno how it handles on joycons but for that price I might as well check it out.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

Several of them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Unormal posted:

Several of them.

That sure is something awful.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

That sure is something awful.

The knowledge that it is true is a low tax on all of our players.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PopZeus posted:

ICoV is also only $2.59 on Switch right now, dunno how it handles on joycons but for that price I might as well check it out.
thanks for this, it wasn't on my Switch wishlist because I tend to prefer PC but I'm not turning down an Actual Game for that price

(and imo Gungeon was fine on joycons, I have faith that I can manage this)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Somfin posted:

Middle mouse button, in defiance of all known design principles

It makes perfect sense by the same logic that has it so you can also adjust your walk speed by using the scroll wheel.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
What is sprint on controller?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Question, GOG has both ADOM games on sale, should I buy one, the other, or both?
I have no experience with either, I know the original is supposed to be good, but I haven't seen much about the new one.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

bengy81 posted:

Question, GOG has both ADOM games on sale, should I buy one, the other, or both?
I have no experience with either, I know the original is supposed to be good, but I haven't seen much about the new one.

No, just play the free version, or get Qud instead

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

What is sprint on controller?

It's A on an xbox controller

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
everything in icov is so loving sluggish

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i don't trust any game that advertises itself as "deliberate"

even souls game get progressively better as they get faster

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab Sabbington posted:

I've been playing a ton more Ring of Pain in between Alina of the Arena binges, and I can't really express just how bonkers good it is as a kind of turn your mind off, just click and watch something else game. I'm working on collecting the last 20 item unlocks or so and I'm not sure how much longevity it'll have after that, but if it seems like it might even remotely click for you, it gets a hearty loving recommend from me.

It's also been taking control of my brain. I've been banging my head against hard mode and I don't even care that on the rare occasion I can make it to the end I get trounced by the bosses.

I feel like it might have staying power in getting wins with all the starting items. I've been trying to get my first hard win with the one that lets you pick an item, which seems like the best starting item out of the options I have.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

bengy81 posted:

I would not buy Ultimate ADOM. ADOM isn't for everyone but it's at least a complete experience.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

It's also been taking control of my brain. I've been banging my head against hard mode and I don't even care that on the rare occasion I can make it to the end I get trounced by the bosses.

I feel like it might have staying power in getting wins with all the starting items. I've been trying to get my first hard win with the one that lets you pick an item, which seems like the best starting item out of the options I have.

I think the highest ceiling for busted runs is with the one that makes rerolling cost health, but gives you a chance to reroll items into the next rarity up.

edit: I believe it unlocks from a hard mode win though so you wouldnt have it yet

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

I think the highest ceiling for busted runs is with the one that makes rerolling cost health, but gives you a chance to reroll items into the next rarity up.

edit: I believe it unlocks from a hard mode win though so you wouldnt have it yet

I've got that. I don't know what unlocked it. I tried it for a bit but I couldn't get it working. I have a hard time with the early game if I don't have the axe to give me speed and strength to get through the first room

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I've got that. I don't know what unlocked it. I tried it for a bit but I couldn't get it working. I have a hard time with the early game if I don't have the axe to give me speed and strength to get through the first room

My runs definitely got more consistent when I started stealthing past enemies more and also not being afraid to leave some enemies behind. Failing a stealth attempt and taking one hit from an enemy as you pass it is ok, but fighting an enemy who's outstatted you and trading three hits with him so you can get a piddling 5xp or whatever is not usually worth it. It's sweet when you get an early item that lets you farm the first couple floors but it doesn't put you very far behind the curve when you don't.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

What are the white circles I see popping up around my character sometimes in ICOV?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

What are the white circles I see popping up around my character sometimes in ICOV?

It means your perception stat (or whatever it's called) has successfully rolled for you to spot something hidden. Could be a trap or stealthed enemies or a number of things. If it's a floor trap/pressure plate or something then it should slowly fade into view as you inch closer to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

goferchan posted:

It means your perception stat (or whatever it's called) has successfully rolled for you to spot something hidden. Could be a trap or stealthed enemies or a number of things. If it's a floor trap/pressure plate or something then it should slowly fade into view as you inch closer to it.

Thank you. Another question: I think I saw a post saying you could equip items like the belt of strength, shield etc in different slots (I see some blank boxes in that area of my character screen) by holding the use key, but whether I tap or hold, it just subs out for whatever was in the slot the torch starts in. Did I misunderstand the post?