Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I got a cold-infused bow with a magic quiver that made my arrows seek out targets and it was so sick but when I went to the icy area (I guess the colder temperatures change your resistances?) I would freeze myself if I pulled back on the drawstring for too long lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
For those who have played both, would you recommend A Violent Revelry rather than the original Celebration?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Loddfafnir posted:

For those who have played both, would you recommend A Violent Revelry rather than the original Celebration?

Revelry is only in alpha right now. It's fun, weird and interesting, but if you want a complete game I'd wait a few months on it and go with Celebration.

They're also pretty inexpensive, so I don't see why you couldn't get both. Revelry is technically a remake/reimagining, but the systems are different enough to make it an entirely separate thing.

Also cool thing I noticed about Revelry is it seems a lot more physics based than ICoV - I hit a slime and it stuck to my weapon, also your weapon can get lodged in trees or ice. Your dude can also randomly trip, which seems like an incredibly assholish mechanic. Love it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I grabbed celebration and after about 5 runs of not being able to figure out how magic works I think I'll just wait for the new one to get some more polish before I put time in.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Here is how magic works: you play the Blacksmith and hit every book you see with your hammer because spending XP with magic is for nerds and getting XP from smashing magic is for cool sexy tradespeople, like you

e: one thing I don't get is how you're supposed to play the eyepatch dude with the axe. Peasant is the basic all-rounder and starts with a reach weapon, Blacksmith is a versatile bruiser with two weapon slots, and the welding mask cleaver guy is good for a patient playstyle where you stack up bleeding and then back off to wait, but eyepatch man just seems terrible. He's slow, he tires easily, and his axe does awful damage. I did notice that he seemed to go apeshit and start doing a crapton of damage when he was bleeding out, but that seems... less than useful

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 14, 2022

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I did notice that he seemed to go apeshit and start doing a crapton of damage when he was bleeding out, but that seems... less than useful

Ya that's pretty much it I'm afraid

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I found a Belt of Strength that starts to make everything all chromatic aberration, caused a ton of ghosts to appear and attack me, and made my weapon attack at roughly 1% speed.

In Celebration of Violence is a weird game.

I also ended up in a dungeon that seemed to end in a dead end. Are there hidden paths or puzzles in this game?

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I've seen cracked walls and magic doors in the dungeon area. Magic doors are flowing and blue and you have to hit 4 switches at once to open them, they usually have nice stuff behind them. I've only ever found weapon enchants behind the cracked walls.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I found some sewer that was filled with poison gas or something, I've never figured out how to tackle that zone so I just try to avoid it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Duderclese posted:

I've seen cracked walls and magic doors in the dungeon area. Magic doors are flowing and blue and you have to hit 4 switches at once to open them, they usually have nice stuff behind them. I've only ever found weapon enchants behind the cracked walls.

You can also just bash magic doors open if you have enough Weapon Power. And locked doors.

Actually that's a good general tip for the game overall - with enough weapon power, you can destroy almost anything short of walls. Weapons on the ground? Break them to get materials. Purchaseable relics in purple crystals? Hit them to break them and get lots of exp and magic crystals. Trees, rocks, etc? (Well ok rocks need a blunt weapon) hit them for materials, sell the materials at a shop if you don't want them.

There's an unlockable weapon called Battering Ram that I think maybe you get for beating the game? It costs a lot (200 exp maybe?) to purchase on a new run, but I grab it whenever I can afford it because it lets you just knock down pretty much any door in the game, plus it breaks rocks, forges, etc.

Bows and crossbows etc are very good too if you can get them early on, have a weapon that can cut down trees, and go to the Town as your second area (since it has lots of trees and usually 2-3 grindstones to upgrade weapons) - if you can get a bow with a bunch of upgrades early on it will carry you through the whole game easily. A ranged weapon turns all the bosses into jokes, even if it's not upgraded (but be prepared for the fights to take a while if not). Bows are particularly dumb because you can zero your stamina with them and keep shooting without stunning yourself.

also re: spending experience to cast spells - this isn't too relevant early on, but later on when you're pumping up your metaprogression stats - the Knowledge stat does a little more than just make your magic stronger. I think it also makes enemies drop more experience, though maybe it's a memento that the knowledge shrines drop that does that? But either way if you can slam a bunch of exp into a knowledge shrine you'll start getting tons of exp from enemies, even little red slimes will start dropping 4-6 xp each. Then you can spam spells to your heart's content and everything you kill drops enough exp to pay for the spellcasts and then some. Especially with spells like Magic Beam that can just 1-shot entire groups of enemies for a cost of 1xp

And speaking of shrines, if you pray to them several times they'll start dropping keys, mementos, spells, etc. for you (at a fairly high rate), not just giving stat boosts. But that's not really something you can afford to do until metaprogression stats are up or you're looping

One final tip: when you beat the last boss there are two options; portal, and a pit. The ladder takes you to a loop, the pit appears to end your run but it actually also sort of "levels up" the world in some ways (Not fully sure what ways yet but I know it sort of 'restarts' your metaprogression stat upgrades without removing them entirely)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 14, 2022

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Anybody have a spare Spelunky on Steam I could throw you a few bucks for? Wanna play but it's not on sale atm. PM me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You get the battering ram for hitting a charging boar. Jeeze even I know that and cannot figure out magic.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I unlocked a ton of achieves on one run including beating the game and that one so I don't know where stuff came from :sweatdrop:

Not sure I know all the intricacies of magic but here is what I have figured out:
A magic spell with a blue/whiteish number on it = it will cost that much xp to cast
A magic spell with a yellow number on it = it has that many free casts before it starts costing xp
Free casts are restored by picking up xp. I don't know if certain items or stats are needed to get more charges or what? I didn't start messing with magic until I had already beaten the game and leveled up a bunch. On my one magic-heavy run I was gaining 1 free cast of each of my spells for each xp I picked up which meant all spellcasts were essentially free, but that was also a run where I dumped a bunch of magic shards into a knowledge shrine right at the start.

you press 1-3 to select a spell and then R to cast. For your cast to finish you need to stay within the rune circle it drops on the ground until the entire rune circle lights up. A lot of spells are pretty slow to cast so casting mid-fight doesn't seem very advantageous to me but iirc you can swing/shoot your weapon while it's casting? Magic Bullet is an exception to in-combat casting because it's virtually instant, magic beam is pretty quick too but you need to lead you shots correctly with it since there's a delay before it fires. Neither one does damage comparable to weapons but you don't really play a pure caster in this game either way, you mix the magic in with your weapons and martial stuff.

Raise Dead is pretty solid because the zombies it raises will teleport along with you and stay with you across multiple floors until they die and they make great cannon fodder for big fights.
Life Drain is a big aoe centered around your cursor that heals you quite a fair amount for everything it damages - including trees and plants (they heal you less than humanoids though). However one time I was spamming Life Drain to heal up and the spell 'broke' or something, there was a breaking noise and it was gone. I have never seen that happen with any other spell, so I'm guessing it's either unique to Life Drain (and/or other healing spells) OR it broke because I was spamming it at its xp cost instead of saving up free charges.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 14, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You get the battering ram for hitting a charging boar. Jeeze even I know that and cannot figure out magic.

Oh is that what it does? The achievement description once unlocked said "Next time I'll be a little faster" and I noticed my speed stay on starting a new character was a few % above what it showed on the character creation thing, thought it was just a passive speed bonus

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

However one time I was spamming Life Drain to heal up and the spell 'broke' or something, there was a breaking noise and it was gone. I have never seen that happen with any other spell, so I'm guessing it's either unique to Life Drain (and/or other healing spells) OR it broke because I was spamming it at its xp cost instead of saving up free charges.

I think all spells will do this if you go into too much "debt" with them. You'll see the icon for the spell change with an overlay that looks like cracked glass; more cracks appear as you use it then it breaks and it's gone.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I want to check out this In Celebration of Violence game maybe. Why is everyone talking about it suddenly? I don't remember hearing much about it before and it looks like it's been out for a few years. (I'm sure there's a reason and I missed it.)

Does it do controller support well? Any clue if it will work decently on a steam deck? I have been less likely to sit directly at a computer and play games lately.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Chinook posted:

I want to check out this In Celebration of Violence game maybe. Why is everyone talking about it suddenly? I don't remember hearing much about it before and it looks like it's been out for a few years. (I'm sure there's a reason and I missed it.)

Does it do controller support well? Any clue if it will work decently on a steam deck? I have been less likely to sit directly at a computer and play games lately.

I can report that it does NOT do controller support well; the menu was the sort of 'technically functional' stuff where it leaves the mouse/targeting cursor on the screen, but the actual game itself doesn't seem to respond to my controller at all, until you press Start and then it spawn in player 2 and 3, both of whom are mapped to the controller.

edit: I was able to solve this by going into the options menu and checking the "use gamepad' box - it wasn't the first thing I did because the game let me navigate the menu just fine.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 14, 2022

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/ironwoodtweets/status/1570152580982120448?t=6KZlHC3Karj_e-irrJc9iA&s=19

We've peaked, road like cannot be topped

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chinook posted:

It's in the news because the sequel just entered early access, and that prompted a bunch of people ITT to dust it off.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks for the answers, folks. Yeah I want to check it out. Sounds like the controller support might be bad though. If anyone disagrees, please let me know

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Chinook posted:

Thanks for the answers, folks. Yeah I want to check it out. Sounds like the controller support might be bad though. If anyone disagrees, please let me know

It worked out eventually, I had some reasonably successful runs! Game seems still not BUILT for a controller, but it's acceptable once you tick the little box.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Somfin posted:

It's the core system. Health is a currency, you use it to pay for mistakes and buy upgrades. You'll get much better at avoiding hits and running a glass cannon over time.

It's the quite literal heart of the game, right down to being on the title screen; calling it an insane design decision is like getting mad at Slay the Spire because you discard cards after playing them.

E: you're also a lot better at gaining HP from souls if you only have one, and shields can keep you alive at zero

Turns out I'm just a dumbass and between playing the tutorial and playing the game I completely forgot that you can cash souls in for health.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Turns out I'm just a dumbass and between playing the tutorial and playing the game I completely forgot that you can cash souls in for health.

Lol god yeah that was probably miserable. Have fun! I'm taking a little break since there's a big content update on the horizon but that game has been one of my favorites since I first played it in EA, and the 1.0 release put it in an absolutely fantastic place.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i somehow lost my save and cloud backup for Revita at somepoint. still a bit miffed about that

real good game tho

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

victrix posted:

We've peaked, road like cannot be topped

I hate cars

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Chinook posted:

Someone mentioned it in the thread, I thought it looked like my poo poo and bought it, and started posting about it and I guess that pulled out all the ICoV degens out of their dens to also talk about it.

E: key sent

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 15, 2022

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Someone mentioned it in the thread, I thought it looked like my poo poo and bought it, and started posting about it and I guess that pulled out all the ICoV degens out of their dens to also talk about it.

Also I got a spare key for ARCANIUM the roguelite deckbuilder on Steam. I bought it ages ago and it's just come out. So if there's someone who would like it but can't afford it, send me a PM or something. Sadly just the one key :(

I would get a lot of use out of that key if you haven't passed it on yet. I hadn't heard of it before but looking at the steam page it is exactly my jam.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mithross posted:

I would get a lot of use out of that key if you haven't passed it on yet. I hadn't heard of it before but looking at the steam page it is exactly my jam.

Sent you a PM.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mithross posted:

An excellent choice. Arcanium is one of the best deckbuilders that isn't Slay the Spire. Although Breach Wanderers does come close for the hilarious bullshit you can pull off.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Sent you a PM.

Thanks a ton! I fired it up before work today and it is in fact my jam. For anyone like me, it does the party based deckbuilder thing better than obelisk (on single player anyway) or roguebook. You can edit decks mid-run ala Vault of the Void, and some cards are universal-ish (each hero can use certain elements/factions/whatever of cards, and so generic cards are still only usable by some party members). I haven't spent a lot of time on it yet but I'll definitly be digging in more tonight when I get home.

The best comparison I can draw with my limited playtime so far is they tried to make a full game out of Hearthstone's single player adventure modes, mixing it up and adding from other stuff as they went.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I hate cars

they really hate cars

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pladdicus posted:

they really hate cars

Yeah that probe is wild.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Funniest ICoV death so far: defeating the Primordial Jelly, but doing so with a flaming weapon while stuck in a corner, resulting in a brief and magnificently violent period of frenzied flailing before dying under a tidal wave of little flaming blood blobs.

On that note, once you've unlocked the Embered Machete as Blacksmith's secondary starting weapon, you can start each run by using his hammer to smash the effigy of the king in the throne room just northeast of the smithy. This has a decent chance to produce one of those fire upgrade shrine things, allowing you to start with a flaming machete! Sure, you'll have to contend with a really pissed off fire elemental, but you can just grab the upgrade and run away. A bit of damage is a fair trade-off for the ability to cook meat, torch spider nests, and burn down entire swaths of the map

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

One of my favorite things about enchantments in ICoV is that you can stack the same one to power it up… but if you do it twice there are major downsides to the massive power. The flame weapons start burning you and everything around you. The frost weapons slowly freeze you just from being held. But boy do they gently caress up anything you smack with them.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mithross posted:

One of my favorite things about enchantments in ICoV is that you can stack the same one to power it up… but if you do it twice there are major downsides to the massive power. The flame weapons start burning you and everything around you. The frost weapons slowly freeze you just from being held. But boy do they gently caress up anything you smack with them.

ICoV is the game that every solo dev thinks of making after playing both Dark Souls and Breath of the Wild, except it actually exists and is extremely good and also very stupid.

The hallucination effect that hell creatures produce is one of the very best status effects ever made

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The best thing about the hallucination effect is that if hallucinatory archers shoot hallucinatory arrows through real fire, the hallucinatory arrows are set on real fire and will ignite nearby terrain at the point of impact :v:

e: ICoV has shades of IVAN and I mean that in the best way possible

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 16, 2022

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: ICoV has shades of IVAN and I mean that in the best way possible

Oh fine, I'll buy it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Oh fine, I'll buy it.

Just played my first character. Game's good? I died before even leaving the Sanctuary. Edit: I've now done this twice. Three times.

I like that there's very little direction. It's the kind of thing that annoys me in once-through games but works great in run-based games. Here's a weird sandbox, play with it and see what happens.

I also like the art style.

William Henry Hairytaint fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 16, 2022

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It hits a very weird but welcome sweet spot, that's for sure. It feels kinda slow and janky at first glance, but it holds your interest with its creepy vibe and omnipresent sense of mystery; by the time that initial shine has worn off, the combat has started to click quite satisfyingly, and you find yourself thinking "I probably have time for one more run" at 11pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mithross posted:

Thanks a ton! I fired it up before work today and it is in fact my jam.

Glad to hear it! I bought it when it came out in Early Access and had a good time back then, but they've improved the game a bunch since then. My brief check out session yesterday turned into several hours of intense playing, so I'm definitely recommending Arcanium.