Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So does this dwarf Half-Life 2’s leak when it comes to the probable consequences for everyone involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

So does this dwarf Half-Life 2’s leak when it comes to the probable consequences for everyone involved?

Probably on par because the HL2 hacker, IIRC, got source code and a working build, whereas this hack appears to be some internal scripts, videos and screenshots but no access to the internal depot. It's likely they aren't in the US, so the legal ramifications are uncertain. However, everyone at Rockstar, especially whoever might have had a part in giving this person access, is going to have a very bad day and a whole lot of changes to their security will be happening. I expect a lot of dev studios will be sending out memos, emails, and changes to their security, this week as well.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It's not like working conditions at Rockstar were particularly pleasant in the first place.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Video Games simply do not get bigger than GTA, someone leaking a build of the game with this much content means the leaker is either totally ignorant of the consequences or they feel insulated from them. The best prosecutors in the world are going to be getting the call from R* to put this to bed and make examples of them. It’s going to be a million dollar+ lawsuit.

minecraft is bigger, as are numerous f2p games.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Stux posted:

minecraft is bigger, as are numerous f2p games.

GTA is a household name like Minecraft, and Mario, and Call of Duty, and Fortnite. Some of those definitely have more players, and make more money, but I think the point is still the same in that they're all at the highest level of cultural awareness.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Regalingualius posted:

It will never be as big as the hl2 leak. People were literally downloading and playing the hl2 beta. I remember trying the e3 demos for myself and realising that none of the physics were faked. Crazy times back then.

The guy who leaked it was literally baited and arrested by the German equivalent of the fbi at newells personal intervention, I doubt the same will happen here. They know who the source of the leaks are and its a dev in scotland who may have accidently compromised his own security (his surname is on some of the files)

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 18, 2022

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Zero percent chance it was anyone in Rockstar that leaked it intentionally. Names on files is only an indicator that a specific dev worked on something. It's very common to include names in comments e.g. "If you touch this, please reach out to John", in addition to having names on files when they get submitted. The thread in the GTAForum where the info was dumped made it pretty obvious it was done by someone outside the company.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there a date or something in the videos that marks it as the current build? I watched some of the videos on twitter and….I was really hoping that it would turn out they were from a year-old build or something like that.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there a date or something in the videos that marks it as the current build? I watched some of the videos on twitter and….I was really hoping that it would turn out they were from a year-old build or something like that.

They're just various clips shared on Slack that are from the past few years. They're also dev clips and not in any way indicative of the current state of the game, and this is exactly why companies do not want this kind of thing being leaked.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Gearman posted:

not in any way indicative of the current state of the game, and this is exactly why companies do not want this kind of thing being leaked.

Well, more that Gamers have a brain disease when it comes to things like Understanding Process and Having Perspective.

If an unfinished movie leaks without special effects or with place-holder bits, people tend to understand this is because it is not finished and don't instantly assume this is the final, intended product and needs to be judged as such like "Gamers" always do

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Timeline so far:

Hacker steals personal information of R* dev they identified from their posts on a web dev forum

Hacker uses credentials to access a R* Slack channel

Hacker downloads 90 videos of this pre-alpha build from Slack and starts distributing them to as many sites as are willing to host them

Jason Schrier & Paul Tassi confirm all of this with their R* contacts in the last few hours. New & uncomfirmed, however, is that hacker is now claiming to be the same kid who just hacked Uber, which, lmao

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
and anyways the game looks like the same poo poo they've been doing forever. the pigs will slop it up readily

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

UP AND ADAM posted:

and anyways the game looks like the same poo poo they've been doing forever. the pigs will slop it up readily

It's a very old build. Though if you were expecting the new GTA to be radically different I don't know what to tell you

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

It's a very old build. Though if you were expecting the new GTA to be radically different I don't know what to tell you

with the head writers gone they could have made it less laborious or drawn out to get through the dialogue, waiting, aching for something funny or interesting to be said

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Gearman posted:

They're also dev clips and not in any way indicative of the current state of the game, and this is exactly why companies do not want this kind of thing being leaked.

Once again reiterating this point.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

UP AND ADAM posted:

with the head writers gone they could have made it less laborious or drawn out to get through the dialogue, waiting, aching for something funny or interesting to be said

this thrhead is about industry news not how much u hate gta or whatever stfu.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

A project I'm on is discussing using this AI-driven tech for art assets and I just... I dunno, man. It's super cool, but it feels like... cheating, I guess? It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if the corpus was trained on sources that we provided, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

https://twitter.com/merlino_games/status/1571205845819559936?s=20&t=_LTXaT89pxpV26a0C4rO-A

I'm also extremely apprehensive about the Character Concept and Weapon Concept options. There's a lot that could go wrong here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the biggest problem that I see with AI art being used by mega studios is that without proper disclosure of where the bots are training from, there's a chance that Ubisoft uses AI art that ends up stealing art from Nintendo or Naughty Dog or something (it is clear that even midjourney, the most theoretically ethical, has been trained on commercial artwork from Studio Ghibli, based on what i've seen)

and art theft is at least somewhat taken seriously at the AAA level, because Naughty Dog had stolen a painting from ACIV: Black Flag for an Uncharted 4 trailer where they painted over the assassin in the painting, and when it was called out, they immediately replaced the trailer

i also think that if this was taken to a legal setting and it was big companies doing the lawyering, there's no way a judge is going to side with the "isn't technology exciting! the future!" people and is instead going to make a ruling along the lines of "a machine isn't capable of creative expression" and therefore such work isn't transformative enough and thus infringing on copyright

that's why I think ultimately the best usage for these AI models, at least in the early going, is to be non-commercial use only, basically for mockups and visualizing your ideas. and then discuss with regulators and an ethics board how best to put together a service that can be trained only on public domain and copyleft works for commercial usage. maybe even donated art and art collections. i just feel like there's a better way to be doing things than just flying by the seat of the pants

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 18, 2022

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

UP AND ADAM posted:

Haha, what are you, 12? Take that poo poo to Reddit.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I did a bunch of AI stuff as a student over the past year and for regular class projects/goofing around we just sourced from google images or wherever (we literally wrote a golang API to just get the image URLs for the top 100 google image search results to feed into an AI for one course lol) because we weren't doing anything with them. But the AI we wrote for our bachelor's thesis we made sure to only use open source data for our datasets (was audio and not images in that case) even though the resulting network was only going to be used in-house for help with processing audio features by the company we made the neural network for.

Very weird to me that so many companies making far more sophisticated AIs are apparently just using any random piece of data they can scrounge up to feed their machines really. I mean even the scummy networks they train on personal data, the sources of that data tend to try and trick you into parting with it through EULAs and the like saying they can sell your data, rather than straight up take it...do the makers of these AIs go to wherever this art is hosted and ask to use it?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

UP AND ADAM posted:

zzz

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
It should be noted that for something to be protected by copyright it needs to be a work of human authorship. While it hasn't been fully litigated out, "ai" generated stuff would not be protected under copyright law. It seems like a bad idea to use it for anything you want to hold intellectual property rights in. Far better to just pay an artist for a work for hire or licence the images you use for your textures and images and avoid this mess entirely.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/videotech_/status/1571582839786799104?s=20&t=t0TVhSz1mKutLnWqnJt82A

y'all like disasters right

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Probably one of the big cheat code houses trying to get ahead of the GTA6 online release

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tweet is hidden

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Saw it before it got hidden

Basically some unknown group bought the source code for 100k worth of crypto

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

https://twitter.com/videotech_/status/1571584265824903171

I just can't fathom GTA Online having to die, even if this turns out to be as dire as the person says it is.

It'd be like finding a critical fatal flaw that would infect every Minecraft server and the only option someone says would be to just...shut it off. Put it to bed we'll have to make a sequel to replace it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lol

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

To what?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Prism posted:

To what?

GTA6, I would assume.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pickled Tink posted:

It should be noted that for something to be protected by copyright it needs to be a work of human authorship. While it hasn't been fully litigated out, "ai" generated stuff would not be protected under copyright law. It seems like a bad idea to use it for anything you want to hold intellectual property rights in. Far better to just pay an artist for a work for hire or licence the images you use for your textures and images and avoid this mess entirely.
The letter of the law does lean towards this interpretation, but worth noting that there’s been no significant case law on this yet. If you for example build a “Final Fantasy character generator” exclusively from Final Fantasy assets, there’s a decent argument that the generated images may infringe on their copyright. But as mentioned, we’re on untreaded ground and copyright experts aren’t sure how things would actually go in court.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

pentyne posted:

tweet is hidden

Apologies for discord link, I'm not at my computer right now.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I think the tweet said GTA5

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ilmucche posted:

I think the tweet said GTA5

It did, but that's also what GTA Online uses, so now all of GTAO's security is possibly worthless.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The 7th Guest posted:

that's why I think ultimately the best usage for these AI models, at least in the early going, is to be non-commercial use only, basically for mockups and visualizing your ideas. and then discuss with regulators and an ethics board how best to put together a service that can be trained only on public domain and copyleft works for commercial usage. maybe even donated art and art collections. i just feel like there's a better way to be doing things than just flying by the seat of the pants

It'd be a nightmare to create a training set out of purely public domain materials for most art generators. You need tens or hundreds of thousands of images for training. You can fudge a lot by mirroring or rotating images, but that's still a huge amount of artwork to get legal rights to. I made a training set using the USGS' public domain LIDAR DEMs of the United States. I had hundreds of thousands of square miles worth of DEMs, which worked out to around 50,000 images at the resolution I used for the training set. And, even with what was basically the absolute perfect source of public domain data, I still didn't have enough to get good training results without fluffing things with flipped and rotated images. I think that it'd be a miracle for good art generators to exist without stealing.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

GTA Online is already highly vulnerable to hacking (much like Red Dead Online, which is built on the same bones) and Rockstar couldn't stop it.

The thinking is that if this new game is being built with a huge online component and it's using the previous multiplayer game engine as a base, then it's probably not great for them to have GTA 5's source code get into the hands of hackers. That could cause huge complications because Take Two is first and foremost banking on GTA 6 having a long life as an online game with a cash shop. Just try and imagine how much money they made off selling shark cards for GTA 5. Billions of dollars.

Not that the game wasn't already going to get delayed as a result of a giant leak like this. Take Two and other publishers are gonna lock everything down even harder and in some cases work-from-home will no longer be an option.

Veotax posted:

GTA6, I would assume.

AFAIK the leaker is currently shopping around GTA 5 assets, with GTA 6 stuff to possibly get distributed/sold off later. Also that 100K transaction is apparently fake, if the leaker is to be believed - or at least not their account. Kinda hard to keep track of all the info coming out right now because stuff is still happening so fast. The leaker also seemingly wants to strike a deal with Take Two (read: extort them).

It's weird how the GTA Forums website is just letting this all transpire without taking any action and the leaker is allowed to advertise there. Could they not be held liable for facilitating any of this?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So we can expect an unusually good GTA clone from a previously unheard of russian studio to show up on steam shortly?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Poil posted:

So we can expect an unusually good GTA clone from a previously unheard of russian studio to show up on steam shortly?

steam would get sued by rockstar and be destroyed if they sold a game made with stolen code on their store

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ErrEff posted:

It's weird how the GTA Forums website is just letting this all transpire without taking any action and the leaker is allowed to advertise there. Could they not be held liable for facilitating any of this?

Their best course of action is to do what Valve did (was it them or another? I forget), pretend to be interested in buying or hiring them for their l33t sk1llz, then sic the law on them once they find out who it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Pickled Tink posted:

Existing caselaw on the "human authorship" requirement strongly suggests that having a human write the prompt would easily qualify as enough human authorship for the copyright to go to the human who wrote the prompt.

The "US Copyright Office rules that AI-made works can't be copyrighted" headline that rolls around every few months is the result of one longtime AI crank who's spent the last few years trying to use international copyright offices to lay legal groundwork for a claim that his AI projects are sentient. So he submits a copyright filing saying that his sentient AIs did the thing all by themselves with no creative input from him whatsoever, and the Copyright Office says "well, if these claims are true, it's not copyrightable. feel free to revise your claims if you want the copyright".

The "human authorship" requirement is so broad that (according to Urantia Found. v. Kristen Maaherra) even books supposedly dictated by divine spirits are still entitled to copyright, as the human scribe still played an editorial role in laying out the book and guiding what would be included, and thus the human writer can claim some level of human authorship even though they were just writing down what the celestial spirits supposedly told them to.