Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

isasphere posted:

Come to think of it, have we seen anyone get the magical wipe static eyes that isn't a magical girl or a former magical girl? It might be tied directly to the powers the Girl in White gives the girls, or the traces left of it when they lose their powers.

Anyone non-magical gets taken care of because they either get nightmare-touched and forget anything they saw besides the nightmare or outright killed if they come in contact with the monsters and would have no other mechanism of obtaining the forbidden information that is beeing wiped out like Tessa did when talking to Anemone or Goops or Vedika with her telepathy, so they all would be out of the loop anyway.

It might be how Nico is gathering intel. The golden creature is from the Girl in White, right? So he is surveilled and protected by alerting nearby magical girls when he is in trouble, but not stopped.

The mindwipe might not even be on purpose anymore if it initially was, it might be automatic.

There is one case of a non-magical-girl getting fuzzy eyes. In the same page with Alex that I'd cropped above, you can see the effect on his own eyes lingering from the attack. It's not very clear there, easier to see on the high-res Patreon version of the page.

I agree on the mind-wipe being automatic though. Everyone we've seen that's involved in running the whole system is frustrated at how unsustainable it is, but this whole effect is preventing anyone from even trying to find an alternative solution to whatever problem they were solving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

After clicking through from that link a few pages ahead, I just happened to notice the eye effect here as well when Vedika mentions that it's strange that nobody knows much about how girls getting their powers works.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
God she's probably getting mind whammied all the time I bet. Actually unless she's looking at the outer barrier I wonder if she and perhaps even we have the ability to piece together something that would trigger the mind blank effect.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Oh, thanks for the links. So it is city-wide and it applies to anyone who even tries to think/talk about how anything relating to the Girl in White works, be it magical powers, the city itself, the shield, the monsters, the past of the Founder, anything along those lines.

Yeah, that is terrifying.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Safari Disco Lion posted:

After clicking through from that link a few pages ahead, I just happened to notice the eye effect here as well when Vedika mentions that it's strange that nobody knows much about how girls getting their powers works.

It looks to me more like that happened after she mentioned someone or something choosing for everyone, after which she paused and changed the subject.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
My "I'm Not Constantly Being Mindwiped and Everything Is Fine" T-shirt which I don't remember how I got has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Neat shirt wonder who makes it
*checks tag-Bzzzzt*

*checks tag-Bzzzzt*

*checks tag-Bzzzzt*

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
One side of this that has only been alluded to is that the government/administrative state has a whole bunch of ex-Magical Girls in it. They must be going loving bonkers trying to figure this out while at the same time not letting how freaked out they are slip to the public/current MGs.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
well from what we've seen so far, from their pov they start thinking about how it works, and then immediately start thinking about something else. like you can think "man I wonder why monsters happen" , but you're never going to follow that up with "I should do something to figure that out".

you don't know that you've been kept from thinking something, so it's not going to frustrate you

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
That's so annoying. I can see where someone with not so much patience (whether that's because of decades of waiting or just a normal thing for them) just snapping and deciding to Sans Undertale some girls to death (since there are already deaths because of the monsters anyway) if they think it will give them an opportunity to break poo poo.

I could see the idea of people who shouldn't be allowed to run things being instrumental in allowing actually good people to break free of an unjust system. Gooptessa breaks whatever is holding people from investigating, and then it's a race against time to solve the issue in a way that isn't 'rocks fall everyone dies'. This may lead our protagonists into conflict with individuals in the city (with Gooptessa and her monsters a spanner), which given Mary wants there to be responsible adults in this means there would have to be civil war where there are adults on both sides.

I still would like it to turn out that maybe everyone's powers are lost more because they are needed to actively do something, and that in the end we can have cool adult magical women doing poo poo instead of having child soldiers (like at least have it so they can have a capable adult backing them up you know?). I absolutely loath the idea magic is only for the young, as getting older has plenty of bad sides already.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Wild speculation, but maybe the reason the girls lose their powers when getting older is because they start questioning the whole setup too much and the Woman in White can't really afford to be permanently mind-wiping the people she needs to keep the city safe.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
But then why does forming babby do it too?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nimby posted:

Wild speculation, but maybe the reason the girls lose their powers when getting older is because they start questioning the whole setup too much and the Woman in White can't really afford to be permanently mind-wiping the people she needs to keep the city safe.

I'm now picturing that one adult who's too fanatical and unquestioning to ever lose her powers and is now both the most dangerous soldier of them all, and balls loving crazy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

nimby posted:

If questioning things was a function of having powers or not, Rue would never have been a magical girl in the first place.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Captain Oblivious posted:

If questioning things was a function of having powers or not, Rue would never have been a magical girl in the first place.

Rue is a 'fight-the-power' rebel, but she only considers adults to be the power, not the magical Woman in White.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm now picturing that one adult who's too fanatical and unquestioning to ever lose her powers and is now both the most dangerous soldier of them all, and balls loving crazy.

Ah, so Mina Loveberry from Star vs. the Forces of Evil.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Magical Girls can also just burn out, and they have different magical potentials - the WiW said Tessa had an incredible potential.
I suspect the WiW is acting under constraints in building this system, and those constraints seem to include ‘girls age out of magic power’ and ‘girls don’t have infinite magic power and can burn out, and it depends on how much they have individually.’

So I doubt there’s a choice element to aging out, given how much I bet the WiW would love to have adult soldiers against the monsters rather than just child soldiers.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

Beware magical old women in a career where most girls stop being magical young.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-24

trying to figure out the fear this one gets spawned off of

"dogs that are overly loving and that cant stop licking your face"?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Being a melee MG is sure looking good right now.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

rannum posted:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-24

trying to figure out the fear this one gets spawned off of

"dogs that are overly loving and that cant stop licking your face"?
Me when there's a lollipop on the other side of a window.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Being a melee MG is sure looking good right now.

we cut back to the window and it turns out gabby took care of it, just off screen

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Special artist's assistant for this page: Taro

https://twitter.com/CagleCats/status/1572633198122745857

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

At least we know the outer barrier still does its thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I wish all my problems fixed themselves when I procrastinated until 2 AM trying to figure out how to solve them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly it seems like this incident was less disastrous than it could have been.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

girl dick energy posted:

I wish all my problems fixed themselves when I procrastinated until 2 AM trying to figure out how to solve them.

:same:

I also wish I was a cool witch with magic potions, though. That would be good too.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Honestly it seems like this incident was less disastrous than it could have been.

Absolutely, but with all those flares there were fired off earlier it's going to suck to start getting a casualty list in the upcoming pages.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

Absolutely, but with all those flares there were fired off earlier it's going to suck to start getting a casualty list in the upcoming pages.

I sure hope none of our main characters have any drama with family members that they've been putting off confronting!

Trivia from the Patreon: The monster on these two pages is themed after the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

I just realized that nothing that Contessa did was actually stopped. There is little to prevent her from trying to wake up Anemone every night as long as she finds usable monsters. Anemone could try to change where she sleeps every night but nothing to stop Contessa from hunting her down her new spots eventually as well.

If her goal is to disrupt the system then she has a pretty usable plan.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Why Contessa for the fusion? The Tessa part is obvious, but I'm not seeing where the Con comes from?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

The_Final_Stand posted:

Why Contessa for the fusion? The Tessa part is obvious, but I'm not seeing where the Con comes from?

Mary referred to them on Twitter that way once. I think it was a joke, but we don't have an official name yet so whatever

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’m choosing to believe Goops name is Constance or something to go with it.

More like Constance pain in the rear end heyo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

The_Final_Stand posted:

I think it's just because Con-Tessa works as a pun, and Anti-Tessa doesn't.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's Spanish for "With Tessa".

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

I think it's just because Con-Tessa works as a pun, and Anti-Tessa doesn't.

It's this, someone in the Discord came up with it and Mary liked it. She tends to alternate between referring to her as Contessa and as Stressa, which has been around longer as part of a "what would the girls' evil parallel-universe versions be called" (along with things like Wandine and Nokoro).

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The fact it happened with only 15 minutes on the clock + most nights don't SEEM to have a huge influx of monsters probably helped (especially with goops being with tessa and focusing on other things) but it wouldn't surprise me if things are worse than what boom and shoot managed to deal with in that timeframe.

Fear of....

Tenebrais posted:

The monster on these two pages is themed after the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth.

i fear the day we get the "popcorn stuck in your teeth" monster this was not an active danger and more of a small fry, but think how quickly some of the other critters running around could break in and cause havoc. Even something the size of a dog, like the rat vedika was dealing with, would have been an active threat to the hospital much less a normal home.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If the monsters are created as a result of the people's collective fears then the next night is probably going to be hell after word gets around that the barrier failed early.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Contessa is a rank of nobility. Countess, but Italian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
tessa-gak'd