Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Also add Case of the Bloody Iris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zwabu posted:

Orphan: First Kill is definitely fun, and the driving scene people have referenced is great and will probably be the source of a lot of .gifs and memes.

What I particularly love is that the crazy twist absolves the audience of any guilt over rooting for Esther and enjoying her do her thing. Thanks, movie!

It's so good to see Julia Stiles again.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Adding What Have They Done to you Daughters, The Possessed (1965), Bloodstained Butterfly, Death Laid an Egg

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MacheteZombie posted:

The Possessed (1965)

The only reason I didn't add this is because I already had The Fifth Cord and Footprints and I didn't want to include every Luigi Bazzoni giallo, but yeah, this one's also fantastic and has maybe the strongest atmosphere of any movie in the genre.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
hopefully ends up on tubi in the future

https://twitter.com/darthjager_/status/1571886072652763138

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sethsez posted:

The only reason I didn't add this is because I already had The Fifth Cord and Footprints and I didn't want to include every Luigi Bazzoni giallo, but yeah, this one's also fantastic and has maybe the strongest atmosphere of any movie in the genre.

Bazzoni is important because people need to understand that giallo isn't all black gloved killers and girls in lingerie.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Bazzoni is important because people need to understand that giallo isn't all black gloved killers and girls in lingerie.

Just a comfortable 90%.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

MacheteZombie posted:

Adding What Have They Done to you Daughters, The Possessed (1965), Bloodstained Butterfly, Death Laid an Egg

Death Laid an Egg is so good

this is some bullshit

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I love our streaming future

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if i were in a horror movie i would simply get into a car and drive away when it starts getting scary
This worked for a guy in Friday the 13th Part 3.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That was the first one I was gonna watch for October too.

drat. O well, guess I got an excuse to watch a horror movie anyway.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

The Empty Man is extremely good and it sucks that its gonna be further obscured now. Would be nice if Shudder or someone else picked it up.

Unrelated, but I've never seen a Giallo before. What's a good one to start with? Probably shouldnt go with the best since the rest will be disappointing after that, I assume

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

The Empty Man is extremely good and it sucks that its gonna be further obscured now. Would be nice if Shudder or someone else picked it up.

Unrelated, but I've never seen a Giallo before. What's a good one to start with? Probably shouldnt go with the best since the rest will be disappointing after that, I assume

Lots of folks will say Deep Red but I think The Bird With the Crystal Plumage is a better introduction. Blood and Black Lace isn't a bad place to start either.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I've not seen a huge amount of giallo, but Blood and Black Lace was my first and it seems like a good starting point.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you find yourself bouncing off giallo (I sure did) Opera is a decent one that's also kind of a milder flavor?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you find yourself bouncing off giallo (I sure did) Opera is a decent one that's also kind of a milder flavor?

Opera is one of the ones that makes a nice bridge between giallo and slasher movies (Deliria/Aquarius/Stage Fright is the other big one, and both have a theatrical component)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Blood and Black Lace is probably the first legit giallo in terms of what people visualize when they imagine the concept. The key thing of course being the vivid color palate which wasn't there in The Girl Who Knew Too Much(Bava's first giallo made a year before Blood and Black Lace).

But some people would probably argue that the fully modern concept of giallo was properly established by Argento, in which case you want to start with Deep Red.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Giallo titles are so drat cool and I wish I could get into them more

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUlgwJNdu2I

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Aw gently caress, I'm actually getting excited for a new Hellraiser. This is how they get me again.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Might be able to add another Hellraiser to the good (small) pile with this one.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oh my gooooooood yes

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Visually looks great, a little disappointed that the trailer implies people are being sacrificed to the cenobites/they’re harvesting souls or pain versus the original, much weirder, the cenobites worship the extremes of physical sensation, consider their mission holy, only take people who have explicitly sought them out etc.

doesn’t mean it can’t be a good horror in it’s own right. i’ll definitely be watching

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I haven't seen The WEEKEND MURDERS being mentioned in favourite giallo's, it is set (and filmed) in England with a bobby as the detective but surely it counts because it's a murder/mystery horror and has an Italian writing team, director and cast?

Satisfying mystery and very funny. Not a great transfer exists that I can find, but it kind of adds to the charm.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe I’ll give Opera a try. I’ve watch Phenomena, and Stage Fright but have been hesitant to watch others. I like the thriller aspects, and the weird heightened reality, but the way violence is filmed can be a bit much for me. We watched the Argento half of Two Evil Eyes in a Gothic Lit class when I was in college, which might have had a hand in turning me off of Giallo since I really don’t like animal abuse even when it’s only simulated.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I love our streaming future

gotta clear up hard drive space for more 90 day fiancé spin offs

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Hausu Usher posted:

I haven't seen The WEEKEND MURDERS being mentioned in favourite giallo's, it is set (and filmed) in England with a bobby as the detective but surely it counts because it's a murder/mystery horror and has an Italian writing team, director and cast?

Satisfying mystery and very funny. Not a great transfer exists that I can find, but it kind of adds to the charm.

How do you translate something as "The Weekend Murders" when the Italian was the incredibly baller "Concert for a Pistol Soloist".

Holy poo poo that's a loving title.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Hellraiser looks…ok? The Cenobites themselves look awesome but I’m a little disappointed it looks like a pretty basic slasher instead of the weird, psychosexual nightmare the original and the novella are (where’s Frank?!?). I could be wrong!!! Hope I am!!

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I never really liked the original Hellraiser but have enjoyed David Bruckner's work, so I'm excited for this

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Hellraiser looks…ok? The Cenobites themselves look awesome but I’m a little disappointed it looks like a pretty basic slasher instead of the weird, psychosexual nightmare the original and the novella are (where’s Frank?!?). I could be wrong!!! Hope I am!!

I dunno I'm not seeing a whole lot of basic slasher in that trailer.

Mover posted:

Visually looks great, a little disappointed that the trailer implies people are being sacrificed to the cenobites/they’re harvesting souls or pain versus the original, much weirder, the cenobites worship the extremes of physical sensation, consider their mission holy, only take people who have explicitly sought them out etc.

doesn’t mean it can’t be a good horror in it’s own right. i’ll definitely be watching

For me the first two films are a continuous story, I don't really differentiate them in my mind so I'm happy to see that they're incorporating some aspects of Hellbound into this one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I dunno I'm not seeing a whole lot of basic slasher in that trailer.

I'm a basic slasher bitch

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
In the sense that it looks like the Cenobites hunting down teens/young adults, it does come off slashery.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We have such TikToks to show you!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm the guy who buys books and movies for my library, and I come in today to find that somebody finally checked out our copy of Crimes of the Future. :getin:

(I still haven't even seen it yet but I'm going to fix that soon)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hah, tricked the giallo hounds itt into revealing their secrets :getin:

Hollismason posted:

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Four Flies on Grey Velvet
Deep Red
Trauma
Tenebre
Opera
A Lizard in Womens Skin
Don't Torture a Duckling
The New York Ripper
The Girl Who Knew to Much
Blood and Black Lace
A Bay of Blood
Five Dolls for August Moon
Hatchet for Honeymoon
All the Colours of the Dark
The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh
Torso
Your Vice is a Locked Room and I hold the Key
What Have you done to Solange
Dressed to Kill
The Case of the Scorpions Tale
Black Belly of the Tarantula
Death Walks on High Heels
Seven Deaths in a Cats Eye
StageFright
Suspiria

That's 26 and their all really good to great Giallo films. That's just ones that I've seen that were good. There's probably more than that and some that I missed that are more obscure.

sethsez posted:

To add to this:
Short Night of Glass Dolls
The Fifth Cord
Spasmo
The House With the Laughing Windows
Footprints on the Moon
The Perfume of the Lady in Black

There's definitely a top tier of gialli that few of the genre matches up to, of course, but you can get through a hell of a lot more than 10 before reaching the bottom of the barrel (both because there's plenty of good-but-not-great entries and because the bottom of the barrel of this genre is truly abysmal).

gey muckle mowser posted:

Also adding:
The Red Queen Kills Seven Times
What Have You Done to Solange?

Origami Dali posted:

MacheteZombie posted:

The Hausu Usher posted:

My own contributions are Eye in the Labyrinth, Who Saw Her Die, Pyjama Girl Case and Suspicious Death of a Minor.

Saving this for future reference.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
God drat does the Munsters movie suck. For all Zombies faults I will give him credit that he has a great eye for Halloween (the general holiday sense). Everything looks like a high budget haunted house in a good way. But letting him write a comedy script was such a bad choice cause every joke loving BOMBS. It is just dreadfully unfunny. The movie itself is just plain old weird. Garish and cloying at times. We get the reveal of the Munster name he is named after the cheese, not kidding . Also the idea of making this a prequel to a TV show from 60 years ago doesn't even make sense. Why would I give a poo poo about how they came to be married? Who gives a poo poo! I think as a passion project it's just an abject failure and I just wish the guy directed it instead of what came to be.

People are going to try to pretend it is good because it is just so weird but it is actually quite bad.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

live with fruit posted:

In the sense that it looks like the Cenobites hunting down teens/young adults, it does come off slashery.

Yeah, the only thing that set off mildly loud alarms in that trailer is that everybody except the guy in the suit seems to be in their mid-twenties. Part of the dread from the first movie was seeing parental figures doing icky things and being torn apart so I'm curious what they replace that with.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

My big fear is just that we’ll get pinhead saying, like, “once we’ve harvested 1,000,000 spookylitres of pain, we’ll finally be be free and the invasion can begin” and the movie’s climax is a big blue beam of light over Detroit or whatever.

As much as the Cenobites have become canonized as horror villains, it was Frank, Julia, eventually the doctor, the human characters, who were the evil.

trailers are tough to read though. the rich dude selling people to the lament configuration for whatever the reward is could definitely make a compelling bad dude if they play it right

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Speak No Evil lost me at the end. I can’t really explain why, I guess I was expecting it to do more with the theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess I understand some of these concerns about Hellraiser and don't necessarily disagree, but at the same time I'm mostly just really happy that they seem to have made a legit movie this time instead of whatever half-assed nonsense they've been up to for the past 20 years. Like, this looks like an actual movie that professional movie people made.