Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Gwaihir posted:

This whole release seems very very silly when still, to this day, the most common resolution on the fuckin steam hardware survey by a gigantic mile is 1920 * 1080.

So what happens when you take a super mega graphics card with all the deep learning poo poo on a 1080P monitor and render out at "4K" using DLSS3 or Xess or whatever and then shrink it back down to 1080P.

Does it end up looking better than native 1080P?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

lmfao

"Yeah my PC is basically a daughterboard to my graphics card."

PBCrunch posted:

So what happens when you take a super mega graphics card with all the deep learning poo poo on a 1080P monitor and render out at "4K" using DLSS3 or Xess or whatever and then shrink it back down to 1080P.

nVidia has had supersampling that renders back down to your monitor's resolution since like Kepler, looks real good but not as good as higher native resolution for real.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Those reinforced PCI_E slots are not a marketing gimmick

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PBCrunch posted:

You're basically getting the faster version of the old school super sampling anti-aliasing. So sure, it'll look better, but it's not like you can magically create pixels out of nothing on the actual monitor.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The 3080ti was also not a good card and every reviewer was basically factoring the market conditions at the time to possibly justify it.

The market conditions dont exist anymore. Saying that the 4080ti is nearly twice as fast as the 3080ti and only $100 more doesnt mean much when the 3080ti was a terrible product

We don't know the performance of any of the Ada parts. Thats the point. They could be incredible values, or not worth the price. We don't know yet, and the name and price don't tell us anything without the performance side.

Also they are toys, so "value" is a relative concept anyway. Buy whatever you like.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

infraboy posted:

Those reinforced PCI_E slots are not a marketing gimmick

Oh noooooooo, lol

https://twitter.com/9550pro/status/1572272657760153600

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

I think this gives us some context for that "2x 3090ti" 4090 figure

Is this going to be like when df showed the 3080 was 2x the 2080 with very specific settings that used 9GB of VRAM to make to 2080 swap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWD01yUQdVA

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wonder how far along Intel is with their ai motion interpolation thing. It sounded almost theoretical when they discussed it, and here it is shipping with the 4000 series.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Perplx posted:

Is this going to be when df showed the 3080 was 2x the 2080 with very specific settings that used 9GB of VRAM to make to 2080 swap?

Their early access videos have a bit too much of that informercial feeling for my liking

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Cygni posted:

Friends don't let friends buy 1080p monitors in 2022.

Also, lol:

load bearing GPU

oh no, they've discovered 'quasars in the shot' :ohdear:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

change my name posted:

Oh man, time to spit shine Dishonored FF XI

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I knew two years ago I'll never find a card as good as the 3080FE for $699 ever again when I bought it but oof ouch.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Perplx posted:

Is this going to be like when df showed the 3080 was 2x the 2080 with very specific settings that used 9GB of VRAM to make to 2080 swap?

as a rule of thumb, you want the df videos made by alex, not the ones by john

although their charts suck, gn is gonna be the best. hub are great, but they've had some unfortunate mistakes in their reviews at times, which i'm sure happens from the insane testing matrices they have to do 24/7 until the embargo is up

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Why do they think "it's really big!" is a valid marketing tactic?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's quickly been pointed out that DLSS3 is basically doing the trick that VR has been exploiting for years, perhaps with some extra AI to smooth over the failure cases, but still it's a well established trick

i wonder how long it will take for AMD to spin up something along the same lines

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I forget do AIBs release the cards around the same time or does Nvidia get a nice jump and sell out of their cards first for a week or 2?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

it's quickly been pointed out that DLSS3 is basically doing the trick that VR has been exploiting for years, perhaps with some extra AI to smooth over the failure cases, but still it's a well established trick

i wonder how long it will take for AMD to spin up something along the same lines

Any indication whether it's artificially being restricted to Ada?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

infraboy posted:

I forget do AIBs release the cards around the same time or does Nvidia get a nice jump and sell out of their cards first for a week or 2?

These days, its all at the same time. In ye olden days, they did some Founder/Reference exclusive launches, but haven't heard of that being in the cards (PUN) this time.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Hmm not enamoured with what I've seen

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

the optical flow hardware already exists on turing/ampere as part of the NVENC block, but it's hard to say if it's fast or high quality enough for what DLSS3 is doing, nvidia is vaguely suggesting that ada has better optical flow

we'll find out when other developers start making their own spin on the idea

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Rinkles posted:

some have mentioned optical flow as a potential component, which is available for all rtx gens

https://developer.nvidia.com/opticalflow-sdk

e: gfdi

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

I guess if you are trying to do 4k or 8k gaming with RT then it is a good product, but it just doesn't appeal to me gaming at 1440p. Having DLSS 3.0 tech locked seems like a bad move. I only really went with Nvidia due to EVGA, but now they are out of the market I might have to take a jump on AMD next time around since a closed ecosystem is getting less and less appealing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I expected them to price the 4080 cards too high with some bs "price to performance" angle attached, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. Also yes, that "4080 12GB is twice as fast as the 3080" thing is very obviously bullshit and likely involves a DLSS 2 vs 3 comparison. I don't know why anyone would ever take Nvidia seriously with that. The 4080 12GB is 28% more expensive than the 3080's MSRP, and you should expect it to be no more powerful than that. As I've been saying, Nvidia really doesn't want to lower the prices of the 30 series yet, but they also didn't want to delay Lovelace any more, so here we go.

The 4090 is cheaper than I expected though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

some have mentioned optical flow as a potential component, which is available for all rtx gens

nvidia is outright saying it uses optical flow, which is also how VR does it, though DLSS3 mashes up both the engine-generated motion vectors (accurate but limited to opaque) and the optical flow (inaccurate but covers all bases) for better quality

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 4090 is cheaper than I expected though.

i think someone beat me in the guessing game but only just, it is about what i expected. the 80 tier prices are astonishing me tho and i completely understand their attempt to help their narrative with a quick name patch on the 4070, lol.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
lol those 4080 prices are absurd nonsense

hopefully AMD will save us and have something reasonable even if only by comparison, sure hope they don't gently caress up this gigantic opportunity

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it’s kinda AMDs game to lose at this point.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The 50/60/70 announcements will have to be something special or I think I'm out of the Nvidia ecosystem for the foreseeable future

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

intel also breathing the world's biggest sigh of relief right now.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

So, "performance" versus "frame generation." What's that all about. Spin sensor going nuts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Agreed posted:

So, "performance" versus "frame generation." What's that all about.

If you're talking about the digital foundry video, that's regular dlss performance vs dlss with motion interpolation (dlss 3).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tZ01ymHZEs

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
that's okay i'll still buy that garbage (4090)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If you're talking about the digital foundry video, that's regular dlss performance vs dlss with motion interpolation (dlss 3).

it's a pretty big omission to not mention the scale factor in the latter case though (you'd hope it's also performance)

to be fair it is a quick teaser and they may well make that clear in the full video

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'll probably be stupid and try to get a 4090 and just delay doing Zen4 until Zen5 is out.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

intel also breathing the world's biggest sigh of relief right now.

Yeah, although a lada next to a disappointing ferrari is still a lada next to a ferrari.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I have a 3090 FE and regularly get 60+ fps with ray tracing at 4k, maybe at worst I end up going down to 1440p but usually not with DLSS enabled.

I also feel like graphics tech has stagnated due to a whole host of reasons, to the point where we are about halfway through the traditional console gen cycle and we’re still seeing multi-gen releases.

Given this, the worst thing I’m anticipating is maybe by the time the 5 and 6 series come around, I’m having to slide down to 1440p in new releases. Is there any conceivable reason for me to buy this card if I’m not suddenly going to buy a 8k TV (I have the PC in the living room) or go into esports where I need to be able to play an old rear end game on minimal settings at 500fps?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s kinda AMDs game to lose at this point.

Nvidia is really lucky their competitors are AMD's Graphics dept and Intel.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

DoombatINC posted:

The 50/60/70 announcements will have to be something special or I think I'm out of the Nvidia ecosystem for the foreseeable future

would not get your hopes up considering 3060 & 3060 Ti refreshes are supposed to be coming soon, so 4060 & 4050 (very possibly 4070 too) aren't coming anytime at all soon & early 4060 rumours just give it ~3070 performance

& idk all AMD really needs to do to be extremely competitive this generation is just getting raytracing to somewhere decent (even if it doesn't compete with Ada), not pricing things absurdly, & having actual supply. that all seems possible

lih fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

bloodysabbath posted:

I have a 3090 FE and regularly get 60+ fps with ray tracing at 4k, maybe at worst I end up going down to 1440p but usually not with DLSS enabled.

I also feel like graphics tech has stagnated due to a whole host of reasons, to the point where we are about halfway through the traditional console gen cycle and we’re still seeing multi-gen releases.

Given this, the worst thing I’m anticipating is maybe by the time the 5 and 6 series come around, I’m having to slide down to 1440p in new releases. Is there any conceivable reason for me to buy this card if I’m not suddenly going to buy a 8k TV (I have the PC in the living room) or go into esports where I need to be able to play an old rear end game on minimal settings at 500fps?

No. Don't buy a new graphics card until you have a very clear use case for it. Wait until something comes out that you're unsatisfied with on your current hardware before upgrading.

In my case, I would be tempted by the 4090 if that ever gets a price cut just so I can do 90fps VR with MSFS if DLSS 3 turns out to be meaningfully better than OpenXR's motion reprojection (I suspect it will be)

Lockback posted:

Nvidia is really lucky their competitors are AMD's Graphics dept and Intel.

Hey now, AMD's graphics dept is good now. If AMD improves their ray tracing and prices their cards well, then I think they have a serious opportunity to expand their market share.