Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Detroit zoo has an Australia exhibit where you just walk through a habitat with 11 kangaroos and 2 wallabies, without even a rope to separate you. They ask you not to mess with them of course, and I’ve only seen them lounging off to the side, but they can just walk across the pedestrian trail. I’m not sure what mixture of sexes the kangaroos are.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Neito posted:

Some people have descented skunks as pets. Apparently they're very cat-like and cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwKV9dJzqDs

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Agreed that roos are more like deer than bunnies. They have super placid females and males that are super aggro and beat the living poo poo out of each other to establish dominance. Also they have had most of their natural predators wiped out and so their only remaining predator is the car

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Skwirl posted:

I think emus look cool and interesting, just like most dinosaurs. Cute is not a word I'd use to describe them.

They are pretty hilarious though when they run around or get excited/spooked by toys & stuff

Neito posted:

Some people have descented skunks as pets. Apparently they're very cat-like and cute.

Makes sense, IIRC they're relatives to weasels & from what I've heard they just act like a less spastic ferret

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Sep 20, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BOOTY-ADE posted:

they just act like a less spastic ferret

So a cat

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

So a cat

A marginally less odorous cat.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Makes sense, IIRC they're relatives to weasels & from what I've heard they just act like a less spastic ferret

This is a word to not use, by the way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've known someone with a descented skunk, and yeah they're relatively well behaved house pets.

The big problems are that they're insane chewers, like an up-scaled hamster, who will destroy your house if not kept properly occupied; their diet isn't well-understood so good nutrition is tricky; and it's difficult and often expensive to find a vet willing to work on them.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Prism posted:

It's not used as a slur in the US.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

OPAONI posted:

Lol look at America flexing its diverse vocabulary over here

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Well see you in six pages when this one is over.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

OPAONI posted:

I guess it’s fine then.

(Also, pretty sure you’re wrong)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

OPAONI posted:

Doesn't matter, don't use it

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Look, man, if Weird Al wouldn't use it you shouldn't use it. That guy even has an excuse, he's weird.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/Kellenbryce1/status/1572128699226406913?cxt=HHwWgoCyqZ6uqdErAAAA

:ok:

B33rChiller posted:

I'm not 100% convinced it's our size. Cougars eat elk. I think it may have more to do with a combination of size, noise, propensity to have dogs and fire with us, our generally dangerous and unpredictable nature as a species, etc.

Yeah, I was taught that us making so much noise is a major part of it. :shrug: Who knows if that's true though.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Most humans are too large for mountain lions to think tangling with is worth it.

They will stalk kids and can go after adults if they’re desperate, like that one that the Colorado jogger defended himself from with his bare hands a few years back. It was starving after a long winter.

Also, don’t mess with a mother and her kittens.
I'm not 100% convinced it's our size. Cougars eat elk. I think it may have more to do with a combination of size, noise, propensity to have dogs and fire with us, our generally dangerous and unpredictable nature as a species, etc.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

When I went hiking outside town in CO, I was told to take a Bluetooth speaker and a gun, because the Mountain Lions will loving eat you. There are incidents with them several times a year- mostly They get caught stalking, and the human scares them off. They can absolutely hunt and kill people- but largely, we aren't worth the effort. We cost a lot for our size animal in comparison to wild animals. I wear a US 12/13 shoe- I saw a track that was nearly the length of my foot

Local PD had to set security when a young girl fell to her death for fear the wildlife would come for her body. Local cops also warned there was a chance I'd find human remains within a few hours on foot in the surrounding hills- people die in the wild, or disappear, only to be found half eaten in a tree.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Prism posted:

This. Please don't continue the "but actually it's okay because" derail and post idiots on social media.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cleretic posted:

Every continent has a few animals that feel like cartoon characters rather than real animals. The difference is what style of cartoon.

Europe has the Disney movie animals. America has the Don Bluth movie animals, where you're tricked into thinking it's cuddly and cute but then the bear just loving murders someone.

American bears are red, use toilet paper to poo poo, and wiggle their rear end happily when done.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1571942148257513473

"gently caress it, I'ma ride it anyway." :stare:

Bonus:
https://twitter.com/Celenaali/status/1572001385771855872
https://twitter.com/JetsNihilist/status/1572017550547877888

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Sep 20, 2022

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Silly Burrito posted:

American bears are red, use toilet paper to poo poo, and wiggle their rear end happily when done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOIpqRbaHHo

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Silly Burrito posted:

https://youtu.be/I8fPRmOWCbA

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

We actually have indoor plumbing these days, and the last time someone died from a spider bite was 1981.

Congrats that just means evolution is working

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Neito posted:

Feels kinda evil to surgically remove a part of a wild animal’s body to forcibly keep it at home

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

goblin week posted:

Feels kinda evil to surgically remove a part of a wild animal’s body to forcibly keep it at home

Yeah, same.
Makes me think of a video I saw on youtube a while back about an owl café somewhere in Japan with owls chained to perches with their flight feathers removed, so that guests could live out some fantasy and take selfies.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

goblin week posted:

If I'm remembering right, I believe removing their scent glands also can lead to seizures. :smith:

I wanted a pet skunk at one point, but "giving" an animal seizures for that purpose sounds horrible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Kind of feels like if you are going to keep an animal like that, figure out how to keep it comfortable enough that it WON'T use the glands. Like getting a scratching post for cats, you know it has the potential to do the thing, so prepare for it. Or find a solution, is there some kind of chemical solution you can mix to neutralise the smell in case it sprays? That kind of thing.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Such Fun posted:

Yeah, same.
Makes me think of a video I saw on youtube a while back about an owl café somewhere in Japan with owls chained to perches with their flight feathers removed, so that guests could live out some fantasy and take selfies.

Japan has little to no oversight regarding wild animal ownership. It’s the reason why so many of such videos come from there. 😔

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Just get a cat.
Most animals are not suited to be pets, and that’s fine. There are plenty of animals out there that need a good home, no need to take a wild animal and mutilate it or turn your sofa into a sponge full of skunk stank and febreze just to satisfy your vanity.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/Toasteon_En/status/1570614394954084352

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1572218271549587457

Such Fun posted:

Just get a rabbit

Fixed that for ya. :colbert:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

goblin week posted:

Oh but it’s perfectly fine to spay and neuter your pets? Nice double standard Mr. Barker

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
is megadosing Nyquil the new eating laundry detergent?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Such Fun posted:

Just get a cat.
Most animals are not suited to be pets, and that’s fine.

If some improbable plague caused dogs and cats to go extinct, I wonder what animal(s) would be next in line to get fully domesticated and engineered into replacement house pets. Raccoons? Pot-bellied pigs? Foxes?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I like the bit where the boiled nyquil/ raw chicken juice mixture gets poured back into the bottle for the next food poisoning while nearly unconscious-trip.

I’m guessing this started as somebody doing a bit, and then a glut of hapless teens took it up in earnest?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A sighting of the fabled “everyone clapped” out in the wild

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dr. Stab posted:

is megadosing Nyquil the new eating laundry detergent?
It's the old eating laundry detergent, people have been doing that since I was in high school. It's just having a popularity cycle.

Edit: Drinking tons of it, not the chicken stuff. That's new.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

A sighting of the fabled “everyone clapped” out in the wild

“Investor, Landlord” tracks

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

If some improbable plague caused dogs and cats to go extinct, I wonder what animal(s) would be next in line to get fully domesticated and engineered into replacement house pets. Raccoons? Pot-bellied pigs? Foxes?

Speculating out of my rear end, but I’d put money on a man-made hybrid of a domestic species with a wild species that is resistant/immune. Not particularly exciting, unlike what having a racoon for a pet would be like :gibs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Powered Descent posted:

Multiple presidents had raccoons for pets while in the White House. Calvin Coolidge had one that was given to him by a supporter who suggested he eat it for Thanksgiving. It's super weird to me that raccoons were once, simultaneously a not uncommon pet, and a normal thing to eat. Although I've eaten rabbit, so maybe not so weird.