Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
After 2.5 years of wfh, we just got the “we’re hybrid and everyone in the Vancouver office is expected at their desk Tuesday to Thursday starting in October” email. We’re a software company, and we’ve done a not-insignificant amount of remote hiring during Covid.

Today is the monthly all hands meeting, wonder how this is gonna go down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Killswitch posted:

After 2.5 years of wfh, we just got the “we’re hybrid and everyone in the Vancouver office is expected at their desk Tuesday to Thursday starting in October” email. We’re a software company, and we’ve done a not-insignificant amount of remote hiring during Covid.

Are the people who were hired remotely expected to be there Tu-Th?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Killswitch posted:

what happens when this stupid decision hollows out the workforce?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

My experience with an even more obtuse back-to-office order is more in-person meetings where they espouse the values of "culture" and "appearances" while dutifully neglecting the fact that nobody under the age of 35 is applying for jobs at the headquarters now.

Combine with a curious lack of introspection into why the company has been successful in the last 2-3 years.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SkyeAuroline posted:

Somebody decided the overhead radio that plays a sub 6 hour loop of 80s and early 90s top-40-equivalent needed to be turned back on just loud enough I can hear it but just quiet enough it's indistinct, and keep it on. And hum along to it loudly. After having a blessed six months or so free of it, with everybody agreeing it was an improvement.

I don't like working from home but more and more reasons to do it keep showing up.

A couple jobs back I was a cube wall away from a co-worker who had an old alarm clock-radio that only really got one station in the building. It was a pop station and so I heard an insane amount of Imagine Dragons, Maroon 5, Katy Perry, etc. for two years. It got to the point where I started tallying the number of times I correctly predicted the next song. Insanely, the office had a no headphones policy but blasting a clock radio was considered fine because I was the only other person near her.

satanic splash-back posted:

My experience with an even more obtuse back-to-office order is more in-person meetings where they espouse the values of "culture" and "appearances" while dutifully neglecting the fact that nobody under the age of 35 is applying for jobs at the headquarters now.

Combine with a curious lack of introspection into why the company has been successful in the last 2-3 years.

My company is rolling out the return to office policy now and they really are pushing the idea that we'll have more success if we're in meetings together instead of on Zoom as a reason to have more office based employees. It's bizarre because a large portion of our business is conducted with customers who are sometimes continents away, so Zoom was already pretty standard for us. My suppliers are all over the country and I have more meetings with them every day than I do with other people in the same office every week. Obviously, not everyone is like this, but the in-person meeting obsession feels like it was the only good argument for why people should be in the office.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I do love being alone in the brewery so I can blast whatever bullshit I want. Started the brew day with Cherubs, ended with Dr. Dooom.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Are the people who were hired remotely expected to be there Tu-Th?

No. So I imagine there will be reasonable amount of resentment floating around. This also only applies to the Vancouver office…. Not any of our other satellite offices. So lol.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

I do love being alone in the brewery so I can blast whatever bullshit I want. Started the brew day with Cherubs, ended with Dr. Dooom.

Bread delivery person logic:

Bald tires, broken suspension, missing doors, no e-brake, and six inches of steering play either direction are all perfectly acceptable conditions for the truck to be in. Just a few more paychecks and that'll all get fixed.

Broken stereo? Oh, poo poo. Immediate action. Drag the old mini-system out of the garage, strap it into the passenger's seat, and run power off whatever sketchy inverter is on sale at Walmart.

Gotta have tunes.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Killswitch posted:

This sounds like why I blew up my last interview. It was billed as WFH friendly but when we started talking they mentioned how the office was going to go back to hybrid with 2 days per week expected on-site. They're 2 hours away from me. I bought a house two years ago and have a 2.5% mortgage. The pay bump I would get by going to work there would be nice (about 15%) but would be seriously eaten up by the increased monthly costs of getting a same value house at a 5.5% mortage. Obviously gone up since then.

When I pointed out I would need more of a salary to compensate for that or at least some kind of signing bonus/ relocation fee to help me buy a bunch of points they balked, and I walked.

The recruiter was piiiiiiisssed.

I have a job so it's not like I need to jump. It would be a different story if it was a career making move or if I had to find work ASAP.

Rasputin on the Ritz fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 21, 2022

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

Bread delivery person logic:

Bald tires, broken suspension, missing doors, no e-brake, and six inches of steering play either direction are all perfectly acceptable conditions for the truck to be in. Just a few more paychecks and that'll all get fixed.

Broken stereo? Oh, poo poo. Immediate action. Drag the old mini-system out of the garage, strap it into the passenger's seat, and run power off whatever sketchy inverter is on sale at Walmart.

Gotta have tunes.

Absolutely. Buying my Bluetooth speaker was some of the best money I ever spent. Now if I ever get a coworker there's no way I'll ever have to listen to Sublime at work.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

This sounds like why I blew up my last interview. It was billed as WFH friendly but when we started talking they mentioned how the office was going to go back to hybrid with 2 days per week expected on-site. They're 2 hours away from me. I bought a house two years ago and have a 2.5% mortgage. The pay bump I would get by going to work there would be nice (about 15%) but would be seriously eaten up by the increased monthly costs of getting a same value house at a 5.5% mortage. Obviously gone up since then.

When I pointed out I would need more of a salary to compensate for that or at least some kind of signing bonus/ relocation fee to help me buy a bunch of points they balked, and I walked.

The recruiter was piiiiiiisssed.

I have a job so it's not like I need to jump. It would be a different story if it was a career making move or if I had to find work ASAP.

Holy gently caress, a 2.5% mortgage. My wife and I considered buying the house we're trying to purchase outright because we were offered a 6%. Apparently buying a house straight cash is considered super sketchy.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

Holy gently caress, a 2.5% mortgage. My wife and I considered buying the house we're trying to purchase outright because we were offered a 6%. Apparently buying a house straight cash is considered super sketchy.

I've got a 2.4 and I'll be damned if the bank doesn't send me at least one thing a week begging me to refinance to unlock my home's potential*

*at 4%

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

In March I paid a grand to our bank to lock my current mortgage in at 1.99% for the next 10 years and I have never been happier to feel like I pissed away Ł1000 once poo poo started hitting the fan

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Welp “load-bearing 3m electrical tape” became a thing today!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How much did it need? That stuff's pretty sturdy if you use enough of it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Got a threat via group text, GM passing it on from the DM, that if we lose another price/date gun the cost will be deducted from our pay. That's illegal in this state and I said so, citing the exact relevant law. So he said "What does state law say about termination?" nice nice, thanks for the second threat, incidentally what state law says about termination in response to an employee pointing out a labor law violation is that that poo poo is also a labor violation just an fyi. Anyway I'm putting applications in elsewhere tonight

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
why is the DM worried about price guns lol

sounds like they don't have enough to do

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Monkey Fracas posted:

why is the DM worried about price guns lol

sounds like they don't have enough to do

Because the bastards are expensive and have long lead times.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Can you price gun his car with a stolen price gun

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

InediblePenguin posted:

Got a threat via group text, GM passing it on from the DM, that if we lose another price/date gun the cost will be deducted from our pay. That's illegal in this state and I said so, citing the exact relevant law. So he said "What does state law say about termination?" nice nice, thanks for the second threat, incidentally what state law says about termination in response to an employee pointing out a labor law violation is that that poo poo is also a labor violation just an fyi. Anyway I'm putting applications in elsewhere tonight

Screenshot that text & send it to the labor board, gently caress that guy

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

tactlessbastard posted:

I've got a 2.4 and I'll be damned if the bank doesn't send me at least one thing a week begging me to refinance to unlock my home's potential*

*at 4%

Prevailing rate in the US is 5.9% right now. We agreed to pay $2k to bring that down to 5.75% on a 30 year. We're putting 30% down instead of 20% only because they told us if we put down any more they would raise our rate. We were preapproved for a 300k loan (we're not rich by any means, but our credit scores are flawless and we have cash on hand) and the ONLY house we found in the area we're moving to that was going to check off all the boxes was under $200k. The mortgage company basically stated that because we were buying a property so far below what we had been approved for that they weren't going to make use get an appraisal and that there was no chance for us to get a better rate without buying points. We would have to spend 6k on points alone to get down to 5%, which is what my current rate is on a house I bought 11 years ago.

Anyways, in actual dumb work stuff; we had our weekly call with one of our customer sites today and this dude whose actual job I don't understand likes to ask dumb questions. One supplier had a COVID outbreak in the early summer and it wiped out multiple departments for over a month. This is a known thing, but this guy only just started calling in and wasn't aware. When it was brought up as the reason behind the missed delivery on some parts this dude decides to go on a weird vaccination rant. "I wonder if we know what their vaccination policy is, I mean, I don't agree with vaccines...I got my shot, sure, but I wonder if the supplier has a policy or if, you know how useless the vaccines were..." And that was where I cut him off with an "I really don't think this is a conversation for either this meeting or any meeting with the supplier." My boss's boss is now IMing me about how well that was handled.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

tactlessbastard posted:

*at 4%

You too? We're currently at 3.6%, the mortgage company emails, texts, and snail mails refi offers on a weekly basis. Not just because they want our interest rate to go up, but our house has doubled in price since the pandemic. What a way to lock people in.

I've pretty much said that our house isn't worth what we paid for it originally, why the hell would I pay even more?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

goatface posted:

How much did it need? That stuff's pretty sturdy if you use enough of it.

Once you really get enough layers down it’s drat near bulletproof with just a bit of flex. You did it again 3M!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Smart things my employer did:

Converting one of the best people I've ever worked with from contract to FTE. Way to go buddy.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Boomer coworker update:
Yesterday when he's done working on what he's not supposed to be working on, he says to me "We need to get this unit moved out so we can work on another one."
Me: "But have you fixed the actual issue on this one yet?"
Him: "Well we gotta get it moved out so we can work on another one!"

Today: "We gotta get that other unit in here! I never got a chance to fix it!"

Meanwhile the customer was getting cranky at me because because I'm telling him to keep his equipment out of service.

Back on the road home now, more conservative talk radio. I am not going to ask him to turn it off because then he'd try to talk to me. "Those blacks sure are conditioned to wear masks huh?" No thank you.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Why the gently caress do you put up with this. Report his as to HR cause he's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lol, spent my afternoon cooking up a rework traveller only to find out the shop probably doesn't have the capability. The only other option is a million dollar teardown, part replacement, and rebuild.

Better fly in an independently certified AST baby.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Lazyfire posted:

I have 2.65%, we refinanced in July of 2020.

Purchased in 2009, 30 year mortgage at 5%. Then I stupidly just never messed with it until I kept hearing how low rates were and how stupid it would be to not refinance, so I looked into it.

Went from a 30 year to at 15 year and 5% to 2.65%. It's going to save me quite a bit of money (about $55k) if I were to stay here and just pay the house off, but we plan to move in 3-5 years assuming things don't just go completely rear end up between now and then. We COULD buy a house now but why take on more expense and a higher interest rate when we don't have to. We live well below our means so just paying the house down and stockpiling money is fine for a few years.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Salami Surgeon posted:

Boomer coworker update:
Yesterday when he's done working on what he's not supposed to be working on, he says to me "We need to get this unit moved out so we can work on another one."

Meanwhile the customer was getting cranky at me because because I'm telling him to keep his equipment out of service.

Back on the road home now, more conservative talk radio. I am not going to ask him to turn it off because then he'd try to talk to me. "Those blacks sure are conditioned to wear masks huh?" No thank you.

Agree with the talk radio. Go further, amplify and exaggerate until you get saying slurs and being fully mask off racist. Then get him fired.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Combo posted:

I have 2.65%, we refinanced in July of 2020.

Purchased in 2009, 30 year mortgage at 5%. Then I stupidly just never messed with it until I kept hearing how low rates were and how stupid it would be to not refinance, so I looked into it.

Went from a 30 year to at 15 year and 5% to 2.65%. It's going to save me quite a bit of money (about $55k) if I were to stay here and just pay the house off, but we plan to move in 3-5 years assuming things don't just go completely rear end up between now and then. We COULD buy a house now but why take on more expense and a higher interest rate when we don't have to. We live well below our means so just paying the house down and stockpiling money is fine for a few years.

Yeah, I was thinking about refinancing when the market was at the lowest rate, but I was also thinking COVID would have us at home for two to three months max and it would make more sense to buy a new house than refinance this one at the lowest rate I'd seen since we bought the place once things cleared up as we'd be going back to the office soon. We all know how that went. The upside is that we're moving from a hot housing market to a cooler one, so I'm basically guaranteed to sell this place for more than I paid for it AND potentially recoup all of the down payment on the new place all at once. It's kind of amazing considering I'm going from a 1200 sq. ft. townhouse condo to a normal house at twice the size with a detached two car garage with a yard. We also spend basically nothing of what we take home (dual income, no kids) so we'll be able to afford both places almost indefinitely if we really have to.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Salami Surgeon posted:

Boomer coworker update:

when I did tier 1.5 tech support for a hospital on the other side of the country a few years back, one of our older gentlemen got in poo poo because he saw the hospital portal running some kind of ad/awareness campaign thing with an image of a gay couple and he sent the hospital an angry email from his work email lol

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm surprised that American mortgages are so much higher than the UK, I'm on a 10 year fix at 3% and feel like I got a bad deal.

Also a bad deal at work: after insisting we all worked on Monday (bank holiday for the queen's funeral so it should be a day off), managers are insisting people take holidays as there's not enough work. Well done, especially after paying people double to work on the bank holiday...

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Marmaduke! posted:

I'm surprised that American mortgages are so much higher than the UK, I'm on a 10 year fix at 3% and feel like I got a bad deal.

Also a bad deal at work: after insisting we all worked on Monday (bank holiday for the queen's funeral so it should be a day off), managers are insisting people take holidays as there's not enough work. Well done, especially after paying people double to work on the bank holiday...

Do you not have contracts specifying all these small business issues like "working days"?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Indeed we do, the production staff also have clauses about enforced overtime but enforcing it when you're also going to be sending staff home for lack of work is not especially wise.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
In my location and sector the hiring market is extremely strong, with a lot of places hurting for employees and still my employer pulls poo poo like that.

Of course, as a result, hardly anyone is planning to renew their contract, which promises to be very amusing... for whoever is left, which won't include me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

For as long as I've been aware of this, long before the pandemic, interest rates on all loan products i've come across have been lower across europe than the US. Never looked into it any further than that but it seems to be a thing.

Part (but not all) of the mortgage rate in the US is that unless otherwise specified these are 30 year fixed rate things. There is no balloon payment at the end. You can get mortgage that look a lot like UK-style mortgages with rates that are/were a lot closer to UK rates.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Welp they poo poo canned my boss last night and didn't tell me, found out through office gossip since I'm on site today. I now report to someone who is completely up their own rear end and has made it clear I'm not her favorite person.

Time to polish my resume and try to get a bigger bag I guess.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Critical posted:

Welp they poo poo canned my boss last night and didn't tell me, found out through office gossip since I'm on site today. I now report to someone who is completely up their own rear end and has made it clear I'm not her favorite person.

Time to polish my resume and try to get a bigger bag I guess.

Call up the boss and ask if they have room at they're next gig

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

when I did tier 1.5 tech support for a hospital on the other side of the country a few years back, one of our older gentlemen got in poo poo because he saw the hospital portal running some kind of ad/awareness campaign thing with an image of a gay couple and he sent the hospital an angry email from his work email lol

Yesterday HR announced they were going to recognize Hispanic Month for the first time by, and I poo poo you not, organizing a taco Tuesday and giving everyone a bottle of tequila

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But, free tequila.