Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

lol What is this

What is he even doing here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEt27Jgp8gs
what i know about dunkey:

- he put a racist meme in his assassins creed origins video
- he was too toxic even for league of legends

i can't imagine him running an indie game publisher is going to go much differently than the idiot running nicalis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Toxic Mental posted:

Twitch is also lowering revenues for its top level streamers like 29% even though the site is already making oodles of cash and is owned by loving amazon anyways. The site is like the prime example of why you don't hire your friends to manage and police a community.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/09/21/twitch-subcription-revenue-share-changes/

Talk about completely mishandling of a platform, what a joke. It will be funny if there's a MySpace-tier exodus at some point because they'll have brought it on no one but themselves.

Honestly, it says a lot that they even bothered to announce it. Only a tiny fraction of Twitch streamers are making that 70/30 split, they're all on individualized contracts, and I'm pretty sure they haven't actually given anyone new a 70/30 contract in a while.

They could have quietly waited for the existing contracts to expire and then renegotiated them down to 50/50 one-by-one, and no one would have noticed. Making a point of announcing it like this strongly suggests they're not really worried about their image among streamers.

On the other hand, they did recently increase the ad revenue share...but only if the streamer sets up their auto-ads system to run 3 minutes of ads per hour.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The 7th Guest posted:

- he put a racist meme in his assassins creed origins video

I just rewatched that and I have no idea what you're talking about

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did he use 'we wuz kings' in there because that one is definitely racist

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Toxic Mental posted:

lol What is this

getting big "i will retweet you if you draw something for me for free" vibes from this

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
neither the video or website really offer any concrete details on what they're offering. I doubt it's a scam, but would be entirely unsurprised if they turn out to be entirely inept and unable to provide meaningful help to the people they work with

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

E: gently caress

i apologize for the big fuckup, it was crowbcat who put the racist meme in their AC origins. dunkey IS the one who got banned from LOL & DOTA for being too toxic though. dunkey said some racist poo poo in a different video that has since been privated.

i get these fuckheads mixed up because they both do the same videos basically

yeah Dunkey's ban from LOL was for hate speech

https://www.pcgamer.com/league-of-legends-youtuber-gets-banned-for-hate-speech-makes-angry-video/

quote:

"However, we really can't show favoritism to someone just because they are a pro or a known content creator. This isn't really a debate about whether trashtalking is OK or not OK in games; we've talked a lot in the past about how we're OK with players bantering with their friends but you should be careful when interacting with strangers who may not understand your intentions–especially if you're using hate speech or slurs. We have a zero tolerance policy against hate speech, racism, homophobia, and sexism and that policy stands whether you're a random player, a pro player, or a Youtube celebrity."

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 22, 2022

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Endorph posted:

Not that I saw

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah Dunkey's ban from LOL was for hate speech

He was banned for (according to him) saying someone should be gunned down in the street, among being just insanely toxic. Of course there's probably a backlog of other stuff but on the record, it wasn't hate speech. I think that the Riot dev in that article was generalizing.

There's some long lost jpeg of dunkey in league of legends chat something something like "i hope your first born's throat gets cut with a broken bottle" but I think it's vanished from the internet

Minera posted:

getting big "i will retweet you if you draw something for me for free" vibes from this

Yeah it's big "give me money and praise for finding stuff" vibes

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 22, 2022

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Toxic Mental posted:

lol What is this

The bit where he lists off a bunch of popular indie instant-hits like he had anything to do with their promotion is so embarrassing. Yeah dude, you were a major help to Cuphead, the game funded by Microsoft that people were excited for years before release.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Endorph posted:

not that i saw (it's also exactly what i assumed he'd throw in there), i just watched it for the first time bc i hate myself and am assuming it's a reference to, in the start, someone in his comments section calling him the n-word even though he's white. which. i dunno. feel like dunkey isn't exactly fully at fault?

dunkey sucks rear end and is hyper toxic tho, so the idea he'll change the industry is another example of dysfunction lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah, some other youtuber did the dumb kings thing, fair then

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

it's one of those dumbass loving dogwhistles you see from influencers you'd otherwise think were normal. it really sucks

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah i goofed on that and apologize for the mixup. here's instead a vid where he drops the F word in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fGma2q_zyw

i don't want to get too far in the weeds on this, and since his new video is just bragging about his apparent tastemaker status, i guess none of this is really thread appropo anymore. so i'll get back on industry stuff

Vizuyos posted:

Honestly, it says a lot that they even bothered to announce it. Only a tiny fraction of Twitch streamers are making that 70/30 split, they're all on individualized contracts, and I'm pretty sure they haven't actually given anyone new a 70/30 contract in a while.

They could have quietly waited for the existing contracts to expire and then renegotiated them down to 50/50 one-by-one, and no one would have noticed. Making a point of announcing it like this strongly suggests they're not really worried about their image among streamers.

On the other hand, they did recently increase the ad revenue share...but only if the streamer sets up their auto-ads system to run 3 minutes of ads per hour.
I'm sure this was planned for a while but the timing is interesting coming right after Twitch just put restrictions on gambling content. No doubt they'll be losing some money from the gambling streamers that decide to take their audiences elsewhere (although I have NO idea what other streaming platform policies are on gambling)

The timing is also interesting with Youtube announcing licensed music for creators today, which I think will at least cause a partial swing of people from one to the other, as copyrighted music continues to be one of the big issues for streamers, as well as content creators in general. Twitch being like "oh by the way, we're taking a larger cut" is awkward timing to be sure. I think Twitch has like, an amount of safe music, but not a ton. And if Youtube gets even one semi-big label on board, it'd be pretty massive.

That said, the fact that you lose a significant cut for each piece of licensed music you use without licensing directly, is gonna be an issue too.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 22, 2022

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Endorph posted:

also whenever you go to any twitch stream you have to sit through like 17 loving ads and then 20 minute later therell be another half-dozen. but somehow they arent making money?

Twitch advertising is a mess because, for the most part, the ROI on advertising to Gamers and to people who follow "personality" streamers like Hasan or Amouranth or whatever (both are titillation streamers, just in different ways) is really low. So they stack on the ads to hit something approaching the revenue they think they should pull. And Twitch is not succeeding at pulling other creators and their audiences (not that their remedial ad targeting could hit them anyway); YouTube Live is pretty big amongst woodworkers/3D printer folks/etc., as an example.

Also, video is incredibly expensive to do. Being owned by AWS (internally rivalrous at best, actively dysfunctional at worst) just means that they're paying internal rates on a spreadsheet rather than the public rates, but stream encoding and shipping is just The Worst.

Free, high-quality video streaming to low-value audiences is just a money pit (unless you're YouTube) and I don't know how that stops. The beatings will continue until gamers are more valuable to audiences, I guess.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 22, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah i goofed on that and apologize for the mixup. here's instead a vid where he drops the F word in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fGma2q_zyw

now u seem obsessive. stop being a weirdo

The 7th Guest posted:

I'm sure this was planned for a while but the timing is interesting coming right after Twitch just put restrictions on gambling content. No doubt they'll be losing some money from the gambling streamers that decide to take their audiences elsewhere (although I have NO idea what other streaming platform policies are on gambling)

The timing is also interesting with Youtube announcing licensed music for creators today, which I think will at least cause a partial swing of people from one to the other, as copyrighted music continues to be one of the big issues for streamers, as well as content creators in general. Twitch being like "oh by the way, we're taking a larger cut" is awkward timing to be sure. I think Twitch has like, an amount of safe music, but not a ton.

twitch alienating its biggest creators while the rest of the industry is catching up to streaming infra is super dumb. i don't really understand what the play is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

now u seem obsessive. stop being a weirdo
i legit didn't mean to go deep/dumpster diving, i just wanted to get my facts straight so i wasn't peddling bullshit

Lady Radia posted:

twitch alienating its biggest creators while the rest of the industry is catching up to streaming infra is super dumb. i don't really understand what the play is.
they're moves typically made by a company that believes it has no significant competitor pressure, i'm surprised they haven't raised the price of twitch subscriptions yet, but maybe that's coming.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I think it's fair to talk about a really famous games person doing games industry stuff being a certified bigot (surprise!!) in this thread in case anyone wants to send these people money in the future. Some people know a lot about niche things and people and their histories and communities and that's fine.

Lady Radia posted:

If YouTube ever pulls their heads out of their asses and creates a carbon copy of twitch's layout (stream left, screen-height chat to the right) instead of the current one (stream on top, tiny crappy chatbox below) and goes hard on the custom emotes and whatnot, then twitch will probably be donezo at some point

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thats exactly the layout they use if you arent in theater mode, and mos tpeople arent.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I thought Dunkey was puerto rican? Or are they white now

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

lol What is this

I don't think a single pitch has ever convinced me more that the author has no clue what the gently caress they're doing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dunkey has some of the best critiques on the modern gaming industry and I don’t think he is a hateful bigot and I hope he and his wife make fun games for them and their friends to play. He has been in the video game industry for like 14 years and I’m sure at this point he’s accumulated enough skills and know-how to do the basics and he’s got enough reach and enough of his own money that he should be able to help small folks get their games out the door. Hope it goes well!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Stux posted:

thats exactly the layout they use if you arent in theater mode, and mos tpeople arent.

It's really unoptimized that way too though. The stream window is smaller, there's a bunch of empty space, the chat is like half the height (and there's a 'hide chat' button, wtf) and there's no persistent way of stream hopping like the follow list on the left side of twitch. It also sort of bleeds down into the typical youtube recommended videos and comment sections, which for a livestream shouldn't be there at all because they take the focus away from the stream itself. Just kind of hamfisted how they treat livestreaming and video streaming like they're basically the same thing.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dunkey ftw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they did have a more full on streaming layoutu available but you had to add something to the url and i dont remember what or if it exists still

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

je1 healthcare posted:

I thought Dunkey was puerto rican? Or are they white now
He's from milwaukee according to wikipedia

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Youtube would probably benefit from a complete redesign at this point.

Edit: If they really want to pursue the livestreaming market and knock down Twitch, that is.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
this isnt the online creator thread what the hell

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

was gonna comment on how stupid it was y'all were STILL discussing if a SINGLE STREAMER a ton of you are obsessing over (for some reason) isn't for a creator's thread but instead is literally relevant to the entire games industry and its news/dysfunction but

The 7th Guest posted:

He's from milwaukee according to wikipedia

someone implying if u were from milwaukee it means ur definitely white is. incredible. just awe-inspiring

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

stepping away for a bit to come back after a few min and seeing if that post is as dumb as it was when i first read it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Lady Radia posted:

was gonna comment on how stupid it was y'all were STILL discussing if a SINGLE STREAMER a ton of you are obsessing over (for some reason) isn't for a creator's thread but instead is literally relevant to the entire games industry and its news/dysfunction but

someone implying if u were from milwaukee it means ur definitely white is. incredible. just awe-inspiring

theyre stupid and this thread is poo poo!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
:gas:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

what?? i'm just saying he was born in milwaukee. he could be second generation puerto rican but there's nothing about that on wikipedia.

it's not really all that relevant to his status as a publisher though

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ahh. cracking open a cold one, after a long day working at Computer Touchers Incorporated, where we gently caress in computers, and also cum in them. now i am going to re-review this post im sure i overreacted to. but first, let me take a long, slow sip of my beverage

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣕⡋⠘⠐⠂⡑⠃⠉⢲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⠃⢀⡤⠰⡎⠈⣉⠀⠀⢸⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⡀⢀⡎⠀⠠⣀⠀⠈⠉⠁⠠⢄⠈⡗⠲⣤⣤⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⢥⣦⠶⣗⢩⣰⢈⢁⠀⣀⠀⠀⢀⠨⢠⠇⠀⢹⢳⡉⣓⣶⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⢀⠀⠉⠙⠢⠥⣄⣀⣀⣀⣤⠴⠋⠀⠀⢸⡎⣿⡀⠀⢹⣏⠉⠉⠒⢦⠀
⠀⠀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣾⠀⢸⣇⣴⠈⣿⡄⠀⢀⠻⠀
⣠⠤⠤⠤⠤⠤⠤⠤⠤⠤⠤⠤⠤⠴⣶⣭⣽⣻⣻⣯⣽⣿⣿⣀⣻⡇⠀⠀⡅⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠐⠚⠋⠳⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣠⠞⠃⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠙⠓

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

what?? i'm just saying he was born in milwaukee. he could be second generation puerto rican but there's nothing about that on wikipedia.

shut up!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
can dunkey pass the paper bag test? find out next time on game industry news and discussion z

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i do want to apologize because i noted above when someone made random poo poo up about him that i mentioned he was white - i was actually just passing along poo poo from the video, where his screenshot of the comment included someone saying he was white. i had thought that was him saying something, but maybe he just thought it was really funny. it's impossible to say. after all, he's from milwaukee

e:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

can dunkey pass the paper bag test? find out next time on game industry news and discussion z

lmfaaao

Radia fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 22, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress off, i was just answering someone's question about whether they were from puerto rico or not, with information from wikipedia the online encyclopedia. i didn't say he was white. what's your loving problem?

and i don't understand what it has to do with him being a publisher either! idk why it was brought up in the first place

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Game Grumps seemed to alright for most of the part with the game publishing thing despite Arin not being a game developer and saying his own share of controversial poo poo (Dream Daddy had its share of controversy too), although they didn't do an open call for developers and facilitated and paid the production staff too. I trust Dunkey's taste but this is probably the first time I've heard him even express interest in being involved in games being made, so I have no idea what he'd be bringing to the table other than publicity before inevitably just throwing it in a too hard pile.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

gently caress off, i was just answering someone's question about whether they were from puerto rico or not, with information from wikipedia the online encyclopedia. i didn't say he was white. what's your loving problem?

where are you from? no, i mean, where are you from originally? no, i mean, where are your parents from? no, i mean, where is your family from? no, i mean, what language do you speak? no, i mean,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Redezga posted:

Game Grumps seemed to alright for most of the part with the game publishing thing despite Arin not being a game developer and saying his own share of controversial poo poo (Dream Daddy had its share of controversy too), although they didn't do an open call for developers and facilitated and paid the production staff too. I trust Dunkey's taste but this is probably the first time I've heard him even express interest in being involved in games being made, so I have no idea what he'd be bringing to the table other than publicity before inevitably just throwing it in a too hard pile.

publicity is a big deal for indie games for whatever it's worth