Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

What purpose did the b-plot have to anything? Aside from shoehorning that website in from one of the people suing Mr.Immortal.

It was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I guess? These characters are as deep as bowl of cereal.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Isn't MODOK going to appear in Quantumania?

He is, although his MCU look is pretty lame according to what we have heard

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The "it's a sitcom" thing is more a reaction to the implied "it's taking too long for things to happen" that's usually a part of pacing complaints. If that's not what people were going for with that, then that's on me, I guess.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In normal Marvel shows absolutely everything is a reference or a callback or a set up for another property. This show just has, like, characters and silly stuff happening, like a normal comedy.

My one complaint so far, four episodes in and the courtroom set/setting and the entire “Super Hero Lawyer” thing seems really underbaked. I was expecting more of a “wacky super hero lawsuits” Harvey Birdman style comedy.

PS I’m so happy Wong has one non-magical friend, and I’m super happy it’s a ditzy Florida Bimbo he can Netflix & Chill with. Nobody deserves a big W like Wong.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vintersorg posted:

What purpose did the b-plot have to anything? Aside from shoehorning that website in from one of the people suing Mr.Immortal.

It's a sitcom, it doesn't need any purpose besides make people laugh

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Vintersorg posted:

I guess? These characters are as deep as bowl of cereal.

I'm not super sure what you are expecting for the b plot of a first season episode of a 9 episode series that runs for 25 minutes

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The website is run by whoever is trying to get Jen's blood. it's got the same tiny hulk icon as the message that pops up on the screen at the end, the message that was sent by "HulkKing". so clearly Bruce is behind it all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

kazil posted:

I'm not super sure what you are expecting for the b plot of a first season episode of a 9 episode series that runs for 25 minutes

Like have any of you seen what's out there lately?

I mentioned loot and the side characters are more than 1-note jokey people. You can't just dismiss things boiling down to "turn off your brain".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktzAq7wjJgs

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The website is run by whoever is trying to get Jen's blood. it's got the same tiny hulk icon as the message that pops up on the screen at the end, the message that was sent by "HulkKing". so clearly Bruce is behind it all.

The HulkKing logo looks like a Pepe Hulk lmao

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vintersorg posted:

Have you seen a sitcom lately? It's not paced like a sitcom at all.

Look at Loot which is done in a similar style as this show - it's paced way better and fills roughly the same amount of time.

This episode was a bit all over the place. In the US when you're asked to be a bridesmaid is it really you just show up for the wedding? I understand they probably just cut to it for ... some reason.

If you're looking for narrative purpose you're not watching the right show. This is a goofy comedy show, the purpose of the scenes is to have goofy comedy and put the characters in silly situations.

Also gotta heavy disagree with the poster who said the characters are "universally vapid". I'm tempted to do a character by character breakdown but... I think it's probably just sexism. Other posters please call me out if you agree that Jen and Nikki are vapid. I get that Titania comes across as superficial, but she also ran a clever legal scam against the main character. If the Kingpin started trademarking new superhero names and using them to sell legitimate products people would be calling him shrewd and dastardly. (as long as he did it while talking like a gruff man and not a valley girl)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Now picturing Vincent D'Onoforio as Titania and drat I want that show

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Were we supposed to know how Titania is super strong? Did they explain that and I missed it? Do they start as rivals and eventually team up in the comics?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

SyRauk posted:

Were we supposed to know how Titania is super strong? Did they explain that and I missed it? Do they start as rivals and eventually team up in the comics?

She busts through a wall in episode 1

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

kazil posted:

She busts through a wall in episode 1

Also throws a bench at the jury.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SyRauk posted:

They didn't explain it, and it doesn't really matter. No more than explaining how she got 8 million followers or whatever on a social media platform. She is super-strong, but she's mostly just an insecure rear end in a top hat despite having superhuman powers, lots of money and some celebrity. Which are supposed to be the hallmarks of success.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was just thinking it was fun how they don't explain Titania or Mr. Immortal, they just exist

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
At this point in the MCU's lifespan I just don't bat an eyelid when someone shows up with superpowers. What's that you're immortal yawn. Yeah you've got super strength big whoop, you and half of Manhattan. You can fly who cares come back when I get bitten by a radioactive someone that gives a gently caress

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

An immortal guy using his superpower to get out of awkward situations by jumping out of a window is just delightful. Also Tatiana does amazing drunk acting.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

XboxPants posted:

If you're looking for narrative purpose you're not watching the right show. This is a goofy comedy show, the purpose of the scenes is to have goofy comedy and put the characters in silly situations.

Also gotta heavy disagree with the poster who said the characters are "universally vapid". I'm tempted to do a character by character breakdown but... I think it's probably just sexism. Other posters please call me out if you agree that Jen and Nikki are vapid. I get that Titania comes across as superficial, but she also ran a clever legal scam against the main character. If the Kingpin started trademarking new superhero names and using them to sell legitimate products people would be calling him shrewd and dastardly. (as long as he did it while talking like a gruff man and not a valley girl)

It wasn't a clever legal scam. I guess maybe to someone who has zero clue how that kind of thing is handled it may seem it, but it was really stupid. Nikki is vapid. Jen is more nuanced, but that's also because she's the character we follow. Otherwise the only not vapid character in the show is Mallory Book. Every cameo, every recurring, every one off. They're all vapid. Like I said, it may be an extended "Haha everyone in LA sucks" joke, but it's not funny. It also makes the character of Maddisyn even worse in hindsight than she was in that episode because every other human in this corner of the Marvel Universe is exactly like her.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tom Tucker posted:

Also Tatiana does amazing drunk acting.

She started out as an improv actor, so she probably has a lot of experience doing things like acting drunk for various quick bits during any given show she was doing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Super Deuce posted:

It wasn't a clever legal scam. I guess maybe to someone who has zero clue how that kind of thing is handled it may seem it, but it was really stupid. Nikki is vapid. Jen is more nuanced, but that's also because she's the character we follow. Otherwise the only not vapid character in the show is Mallory Book. Every cameo, every recurring, every one off. They're all vapid. Like I said, it may be an extended "Haha everyone in LA sucks" joke, but it's not funny. It also makes the character of Maddisyn even worse in hindsight than she was in that episode because every other human in this corner of the Marvel Universe is exactly like her.

I have no idea what you're talking about

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Super Deuce posted:

If you say so

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Super Deuce posted:

Bitches amirite :jerkbag:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

XboxPants posted:

Yep sexism. Guys are feeling their tiny pee-pees getting pinched (I will make that a thing so help me God!).

Jen is a smart, capable lawyer who in this episode is getting frustrated that her court enemy, Titania is a wedding guest while she gets treated like a servant by her theoretical best friend from high school. Yay for her getting her Fry Guy.

Nikki is clearly incredibly good at connecting with people and actually managed to bring about a settlement instead of letting the court case be something that dragged on until Mr. Immortal died of old age. A couple of times.

Titania might not be conventionally "smart" but she's still cunning.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe start by defining “vapid” because I cannot think of a single definition, however generous, that encapsulates Jennifer’s behavior. She’s a nerdy lawyer dork who spends the entire first episode using logic & reason on BRUCE loving BANNER canonically one of the five smartest living human beings ever, and she wins him over.

The only character I’ve seen act “vapid” is Wong’s bestie, and she’s not even acting “vapid” she’s just “stupid w/ vocal fry and a push up bra”

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe start by defining “vapid” because I cannot think of a single definition, however generous, that encapsulates Jennifer’s behavior. She’s a nerdy lawyer dork who spends the entire first episode using logic & reason on BRUCE loving BANNER canonically one of the five smartest living human beings ever, and she wins him over.

The only character I’ve seen act “vapid” is Wong’s bestie, and she’s not even acting “vapid” she’s just “stupid w/ vocal fry and a push up bra”

Madisynn also survived a hostile alternate dimension and a demon bargain. Yes, I'm shipping her and Wongers. Don't judge me!

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Rarity posted:

Bitches amirite :jerkbag:

Is bad faith reading of posts the gimmick here? Both men lawyer peers we've met, vapid. Holden Holliway, vapid. Hell, even Wong was depthless and the only reason he seemed otherwise is because we've explored the character in other properties. I guess Jen's dad seemed like a normal human being though her DJ cousin certainly isn't.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I'm having a really hard time not seeing "vapid" as dogwhistle for "bitch"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Everyone posted:

Madisynn also survived a hostile alternate dimension and a demon bargain. Yes, I'm shipping her and Wongers. Don't judge me!

They want us to ship them, there’s literally no other reason for these scenes to exist and Wong can’t hook up with anyone magical, he takes his job too seriously. Dating a sweet bimbo who can’t even do a card trick is perfect for the big man!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Can we maybe stray from labeling people misogynists on these forums for not liking something? This is the same thing that happened around Ghostbusters and Captain Marvel. There are actual fuckers out there - as skewered in this show - and I don't think people here are saying anything like that.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Titania is vapid? She cannily snuck into a wedding and ingratiated herself with the bride with the express purpose of humiliating She Hulk as revenge for the trademark court win which was, itself, an attempt at payback by squatting on the trademark to make up for embarrassing her by knocking her out in her courthouse rampage.

She's petty and self-absorbed but not vapid. I dunno I think people are just weird about this show. This was a fun "invited to a wedding out of obligation and making the best of it" plot line where She Hulk just fits into all the regular wedding tropes - upstaging the bride, trying to be someone you feel like you're not, getting drunk off your rear end and making a scene, just good times.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Everyone posted:

Nikki is clearly incredibly good at connecting with people and actually managed to bring about a settlement instead of letting the court case be something that dragged on until Mr. Immortal died of old age. A couple of times.

Sorry, Nikki chews gum and wears heavy makeup, she's a vapid bitch

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

kazil posted:

I'm having a really hard time not seeing "vapid" as dogwhistle for "bitch"

Well, first, nobody is acting as a "bitch" except for, I guess the bridesmaids. Though I wouldn't use that word, they certainly were horribly rude in the manner someone who uses terms like that may.

And as far as vapid goes, I'm referring to the shallowness of all but two characters in the show. They're all flat shallow pieces hitting the exact same note. Nikki we've seen a bit more and, sure, she's capable at her job. However she has the same obsession with appearance everyone else has in the show. I get that it's a theme here, but quite literally everyone involved has an obsession with Jen's (and their own) appearance including her. There has been zero departure from it, yet, making the show feel bland in a lot of regards.

Again, I'm enjoying the show. It's just really tiring having everyone be Tom Haverford.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm pretty sure a show about She-Hulk touching on feminism and such having a bit of a focus on appearance and how people obsess about it is not being vapid. But actually making a thematic point.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Welp, time to exit this marriage thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHFtSQ8e_dw&t=13s

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Lmao, my comment about the pacing was something I've brought up in this thread before, things just Happen so quickly, then move immediately to the next plot point without any room to breathe. There's not a single reason on planet earth that this episode should only be 24 minutes long so why not spend more time on making me care about the characters?

Why have Patti Harrison be a dickhead to Jen the whole episode for seemingly no reason and then not try and wrap it in any real way? Why have Titania show up at all, nothing happened there to move her storyline along, she just shows up and says Jen u suck, fight me.

The subplot was fine, although the lawyer stuff still isn't very well-written. Plus, I get the "everyone other than Jen sounds vapid" complaint because it's pretty true, all the dialogue is peppered in with these little unfunny "um, so that just happened"-level lines. And much like Pug being a sneakerhead isn't a personality trait, neither is "being really good at negotiating", we still don't know enough about Nikki to care about her.

Everyone's so got drat flat and boring and the show's just like no, don't you see, the mean lawyer sassily said "that's enough questions" when Nikki tried to bond, isn't that funny? Oh poo poo, we're coming dangerously close to the 25 minute mark, uh anyway, episode over! See credit illustrations for easter eggs!

*edit* lmao like ten people posted in the time it took to write this, time to peace out of this thread for a while ps madisynn suxxx

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I don’t think being a silly comedy show means it doesn’t have to worry about pacing, narrative or characters. People seem to be cutting it a lot of slack because it’s a sitcom, whereas most sitcoms are really careful with pacing and making you care about the characters. It does feel like this show is super disjointed, especially when it comes to its B plots. It wants to be an ensemble piece when it’s really just a show about She-Hulk.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really don’t get why this show is half the length of the other shows in terms of episode length beyond “writing jokes is hard”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Another comparison i'd like to make is to Arrested Development - same length of episodes but insanely dense. I think with a better writer and director this show could do so much more with this amazing cast and characters.