Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Just in terms of stuff that was at least watchable, if not good, 2022 has had:

Barbarian, Black Phone, Bodies Bodies Bodies, Crimes of the Future, Dawn Breaks Behind The Eyes, Day Shift, Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Flux Gourmet, Fresh, Glorious, Good Madam, Hatching, The House, Incantation, MEN, Moloch, Nope, Orphan: First Kill, Prey, The Passenger, Pearl, Resurrection, Saloum, Scream, Speak No Evil, Studio 666, Umma, Watcher, What Josiah Saw, WNUF Out There Halloween Mega Tape, X, and You Won’t Be Alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Barbarian was pretty good, Nope was alright. I wasn't crazy about X but I'm very curious about Pearl.

edit: oh, Crimes of the Future was great obviously. and Mad God whipped rear end but I'm fuzzy on what counts as its release date.

I haven't seen Barbarian or Crimes of the Future , but I just can't think of anything this year that I watched and was like " Oh this is a instant horror classic".

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I don't think 2022 has been a break out year of horror . There's nothing this year that I can think immediately.

I think it's just been a year of smaller-scale horror movies, and they have come across as good but not great. Pearl, Barbarian, Men, The Black Phone, Bodies Bodies Bodies, X; all solid but not exactly earth-shattering.

The bigger budget stuff this year usually ends up being less pure horror and more blends of multiple genres, especially science fiction and action. Dr. Strange 2, Firestarter, Nope - that's a real mixed bag, even if I liked 2 out of those 3.

It's an open question if Halloween Ends will be good or not, but based on the other 2 entries in the trilogy I'm expecting it to be solid overall.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I haven't seen Barbarian or Crimes of the Future , but I just can't think of anything this year that I watched and was like " Oh this is a instant horror classic".

i agree but tbh those are literally the only 2022 horror movies that are imo good, if you're gonna watch any itd be those two.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I forgot about The Black Phone, that was fun. But yeah apart from Crimes of the Future and Mad God it's a bunch of three, three and a half star stuff. Which, to be honest, I'm not opposed to. We should get a bunch of three and a half star horror movies every year.

I had a ton of fun at Barbarian and could see that one becoming a new classic even if I didn't love it as much as some (third act kinda fell apart a bit, such is life).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Convenient time to be having these lists posted because as usual I didn't see most of the stuff that came out this year so I'll need some options for the October thread challenges.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kvlt! posted:

nah the Blumhouse PG-13 style is the worst

Agreed, I would take just about anything over having to watch a movie on the level of Truth or Dare or Fantasy Island again.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like exploding heads

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Convenient time to be having these lists posted because as usual I didn't see most of the stuff that came out this year so I'll need some options for the October thread challenges.

Yeah I'm trying to build my list as much as I can, my work schedule is going to be a bit heavy for October and I don't want to screw myself up, nice to be reminded of anything I may have forgotten

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

If anyone needs, remind me in a few days and I'll screenshot my library of everything from this year. I have just about everything notable that's available to stream or rent somewhere, so it might help give folks ideas of stuff they may have missed.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Nope, Watcher, Resurrection, World's Fair, and Hatching were all top notch horror for me this year. I don't think of it as horror but if we're counting Flux Gourmet than that's at the top too. The Northman is more of a horror movie than Flux so I'll count that too.

I liked X and Orphan 2 a lot but not as much as these others. Really want to see Pearl, Barbarian and Bodies.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 23, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Just in terms of stuff that was at least watchable, if not good, 2022 has had:

Barbarian, Black Phone, Bodies Bodies Bodies, Crimes of the Future, Dawn Breaks Behind The Eyes, Day Shift, Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Flux Gourmet, Fresh, Glorious, Good Madam, Hatching, The House, Incantation, MEN, Moloch, Nope, Orphan: First Kill, Prey, The Passenger, Pearl, Resurrection, Saloum, Scream, Speak No Evil, Studio 666, Umma, Watcher, What Josiah Saw, WNUF Out There Halloween Mega Tape, X, and You Won’t Be Alone.

Hmmm my favorites that I've seen this year from this list

Barbarian
The Black Phone
Bodies Bodies Bodies
Crimes of the Future
MEN
Nope
Prey
Pearl
Studio 666
X

still got lots to see on this one though, October is going to be busy and I've already booked a ticket for Smile next weekend so I'm very excited for that one.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Stuff that I at least liked (a lot I loved) and would recommend

We're All Going to the World's Fair, Dawn Breaks Behind the Eyes, The Long Walk, Flux Gourmet, The Leech, The Outwaters, Resurrection, Hatching, Orphan: First Kill, Speak No Evil, You Won't Be Alone, You Are Not My Mother, Prey, Barbarian, Nope, Crimes of the Future, Men, X, The Sadness, Hellbender, The Cursed, Alone With You, A Wounded Fawn, Fresh, Mad God, Wyrmwood: Apocalypse, Masking Threshold, Chamber of Terror, Timekeepers of Eternity, Scream, The Innocents, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, On the 3rd Day, Studio 666, Dawning, Nitram, All My Friends Hate Me, The House, Master, Shapeless, The Last Thing Mary Saw, The Runner, Allegoria, What Josiah Saw (2 of the 3 segments of it, one of the three is really awful), Hypochondriac, Incantation, A Banquet, Nanny, Watcher, She Will, Glorious, Cyst, The Black Phone, The Ones You Didn't Burn, Night Shift, Revealer, Good Madam, When I Consume You, Land Shark, The Passenger, I Blame Society, Midnight, Tethered, Honeycomb, The Third Saturday in October, The Third Saturday in October Part 5, and Saloum

And yeah, 1) this is before October, and 2) this is still without having even seen everything I've wanted to yet (like Pearl and Bodies Bodies Bodies), let alone random stuff that's fallen through the cracks that I'll accidentally discover and love (I did this for half the films on here, I would have never even heard of Timekeepers of Eternity if I hadn't randomly caught glimpse of the poster looking cool and it's one of the most unique experiments I've seen in years)

Definitely think this and last year were both stellar for the genre; last year was underrated, but I'm glad this one is getting appreciated while it's happening

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hatching is definitely right at the top of my October watchlist.

I'm not gonna lie though I thought Men was hilariously bad. Like, "Alex Garland forgot how to make a movie" bad.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I need to rewatch Men. That theater experience was wonderful and THAT scene definitely made people very uncomfortable and one person left. A rewatch next month is a priority for me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm not gonna lie though I thought Men was hilariously bad. Like, "Alex Garland forgot how to make a movie" bad.

I wouldn't go this far but I didn't really like it that much either. Just a bunch of rote folk horror imagery in support of a metaphor that has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

e: Bummer that I'm probably not going to be able to watch Full of Worms anytime soon, it looks very fun, but I'm mostly watching movies with my partner at the moment and she's got a bigtime worm phobia.

Are you in the US? It's playing online for Fantastic Fest this week if you want to rent it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I liked it but it's definitely my least favorite Garland

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Stuff that I at least liked (a lot I loved) and would recommend

We're All Going to the World's Fair, Dawn Breaks Behind the Eyes, The Long Walk, Flux Gourmet, The Leech, The Outwaters, Resurrection, Hatching, Orphan: First Kill, Speak No Evil, You Won't Be Alone, You Are Not My Mother, Prey, Barbarian, Nope, Crimes of the Future, Men, X, The Sadness, Hellbender, The Cursed, Alone With You, A Wounded Fawn, Fresh, Mad God, Wyrmwood: Apocalypse, Masking Threshold, Chamber of Terror, Timekeepers of Eternity, Scream, The Innocents, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, On the 3rd Day, Studio 666, Dawning, Nitram, All My Friends Hate Me, The House, Master, Shapeless, The Last Thing Mary Saw, The Runner, Allegoria, What Josiah Saw (2 of the 3 segments of it, one of the three is really awful), Hypochondriac, Incantation, A Banquet, Nanny, Watcher, She Will, Glorious, Cyst, The Black Phone, The Ones You Didn't Burn, Night Shift, Revealer, Good Madam, When I Consume You, Land Shark, The Passenger, I Blame Society, Midnight, Tethered, Honeycomb, The Third Saturday in October, The Third Saturday in October Part 5, and Saloum

And yeah, 1) this is before October, and 2) this is still without having even seen everything I've wanted to yet (like Pearl and Bodies Bodies Bodies), let alone random stuff that's fallen through the cracks that I'll accidentally discover and love (I did this for half the films on here, I would have never even heard of Timekeepers of Eternity if I hadn't randomly caught glimpse of the poster looking cool and it's one of the most unique experiments I've seen in years)

Definitely think this and last year were both stellar for the genre; last year was underrated, but I'm glad this one is getting appreciated while it's happening

For comparison, my list for last year:

Agnes, Last Night in Soho, Titane, Lamb, Malignant, The Night House, Slumber Party Massacre 2021, If I Can't Have Love I Want Power, Saint Maud, The Feast, Knocking, Mosquito State, Censor, The Medium, Violation, the Fear Street trilogy (at the very least the first and last film), Home with a View of the Monster, The Retreat, Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight 2, Till Death, John and the Hole, In the Earth, Rose Plays Julie, Seance, Who Goes There, The Amusement Park, Skull: The Mask, Psycho Goreman, The Power, A Classic Horror Story, Lux Aeterna, Fried Barry, Wrong Turn 2021, Silent Night, Son, Roh, Spiral, The Columnist, and VHS94

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are you in the US? It's playing online for Fantastic Fest this week if you want to rent it.

Ah poo poo, I didn't know they were doing an at-home option this year! That's cool

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I wouldn't go this far but I didn't really like it that much either. Just a bunch of rote folk horror imagery in support of a metaphor that has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Yeah, I saw it twice in theaters because I really wanted it to be better / like it more. It's got some redeeming qualities, but ultimately just falls apart from beating you over the head with its own ~symbolism~

Edit: on the other hand, seeing Barbarian a second time was great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Horror stuff I've seen this year that I really liked:

Crimes of the Future
Orphan: First Kill
Prey
Watcher
We're All Going To The World's Fair

I'm excited for V/H/S/99. Hoping Halloween Ends is good but I'm very skeptical after the last one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/bummer_no_b/status/1573125236954107905?s=46&t=_1jJqiojkFdjllEO9q7oXg

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

happyhippy posted:

It was poo poo when every 2nd movie made was a ghost girl with black hair covering her face who made stop motion jerk movements.

I hate that style. It was amusing watching the entire Saw franchise a while back because you could pinpoint the exact moment that overcranking became the "in" thing to put in your horror movie.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Men had enough weirdo moments that I had fun watching it and I really don't care if a movie is subtle or not, but everything it did was done better in other movies this year.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I actually forgot about Scream 5 and Predator 5 as points in favor for this conversation. I think it actually goes a ways to further the idea that 2022 is a year with a lot of solid entries but few out-and-out masterpieces.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

Hell yeah lets do it!

also horror hasnt been good since the 2000s which gave us the GOATs

OK, PMed you in Discord, let's figure it out.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUqIv5PvbGk

new trailer for Barbarian. Only watch it if you've seen it. super spoiler heavy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

why are they making new trailers when the movies been out for a while

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

why are they making new trailers when the movies been out for a while

usually to reignite interest, draw in unsure viewers with a gimmick or get people to see it again. its a good reheat method for smaller productions or things that are slowly building up a viral sensation.

I wouldnt be surprised if because its low budget and viral nature of the story its getting an extended run. we're in a nice dry spot for movies at the moment and it re-igniting during October would be a great idea especially since the only two really notable for mainstream audiences spooky movies is Smile and Halloween Ends. The only blockbuster launching next month is Black Adam (Oct), then Black Panther (Nov) and the Avatar (Dec). they could easily scoop up some extra couple weeks with an extended run on smaller screens.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 23, 2022

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
The wife and I only get a babysitter once every month or so, and we're trying to decide if we want to see barbarian or pearl in theaters. We saw X and really like Ti West but but I feel like maybe barbarian would be better in theaters and pearl would be fine at home? Any recommendations without spoiling much?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People seemed to forgot about the sadness or maybe it was in the mondo list of movies lol

I agree with cargill bc this year has been excellent

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gejimayu posted:

The wife and I only get a babysitter once every month or so, and we're trying to decide if we want to see barbarian or pearl in theaters. We saw X and really like Ti West but but I feel like maybe barbarian would be better in theaters and pearl would be fine at home? Any recommendations without spoiling much?

Barbarian is a rollercoaster ride. Plain and simple. Once the drop hits you’re in for a drat treat

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

People seemed to forgot about the sadness or maybe it was in the mondo list of movies lol

I agree with cargill bc this year has been excellent

ah right the Sadness! yeah that was solid too.

Gejimayu posted:

hmmm that's tough. I think they're both theater experiences but for different reasons. Barbarian is totally an audience movie because some of the reactions I got were great and its such an audacious piece that its really fun seeing it in theaters. Pearl on the other hand hits on so many more technical reasons why its a delight to see in theaters. its shot wide and almost in this technicolor fashion that everything really pops in theaters in a way I think would be missed at home.

flip a coin. i cant make that decision.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Gejimayu posted:

Trust your gut on this. Neither *require* the theater experience, but Barbarian benefits from it more than Pearl does.

I loved Pearl, but it's a character study with some gore in it. Nothing is really added by experiencing it large

Edit: Actually, I agree with the above poster. There are technical aspects of it that you can admire, but nothing that adds to the "horror" of it

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 23, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Barbarian should be seen in a theater.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Barbarian is a rollercoaster ride. Plain and simple. Once the drop hits you’re in for a drat treat

Agreed. Hell, I'll probably see it a third time before it leaves theaters. I've got some friends who still haven't seen it yet, despite wanting to, so I might drag them to Alamo this weekend.

Also, I really, really enjoyed Pearl, but, goddamn, she (both the character of Pearl and Mia Goth's mannerisms/speech patterns) reminded me so. drat. much. of someone I used to date. It really made the whole thing extra uncomfortable. A+, would recommend

\/\/ Agreed

XIII fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 23, 2022

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Nothing is really added by experiencing it large

I haven't seen it at home but seeing that monologue and (especially) the increasingly uncomfortable end credits on a giant screen is very very unnerving

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

flashy_mcflash posted:

I haven't seen it at home but seeing that monologue and (especially) the increasingly uncomfortable end credits on a giant screen is very very unnerving

definitely agreed on those two points. that whole audition scene as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dorium posted:

definitely agreed on those two points. that whole audition scene as well.

Geez that movie left me so stunned from the two things I mentioned that I almost forgot how deeply uncomfortable the audition scene is.