Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
the winter it came out i bought gotg for like twenty five dollars, so sales must've been dire af

game kinda sucked, tho. hated having to hump walls every other hour until i found the squeezethrough or whenever i went to a sidepath to find a costume the entire cast would start making GBS threads on me for taking 3 steps away from the critical path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The characters making fun of you for exploring was funny as hell.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

The characters making fun of you for exploring was funny as hell.

Rocket's growing exasperation was a delight.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Rocket's growing exasperation was a delight.

It was also an anxiety reliever for me, because I knew I wouldn't be locking off an extra area by accidently continuing down the main path. If Rocket was giving me poo poo, I was exploring the right way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1573589802846281728?t=NyQ3yudz685ig__B_VCCUg&s=19

I firmly believe they were planning to until Avengers was a dud and threatened the rest of the Square Enix deal.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1573589802846281728?t=NyQ3yudz685ig__B_VCCUg&s=19

I firmly believe they were planning to until Avengers was a dud and threatened the rest of the Square Enix deal.

Well good then because a shared gaming universe wouldn’t be as good, much better to let each game be it’s own thing free of any other continuity

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I was just thinking about how hard a good IronMan game would be to make when I realized making it Saint's Row/Prototype and Tony's out fighting the Armor Wars probably is the best bet.

Or maybe something in VR.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I started playing the Avengers game because lol it's free might as well give it a shot.

Honestly? I kind of like it. Would have never paid sixty bucks for it, but it's been fun in a brainless sort of way so far.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waffleman_ posted:

Wouldn't they have done something with Spider-Man then? He's in Avengers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vandar posted:

I started playing the Avengers game because lol it's free might as well give it a shot.

Honestly? I kind of like it. Would have never paid sixty bucks for it, but it's been fun in a brainless sort of way so far.

The single player stuff is fine. It’s not $60 of content though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Vandar posted:

The single player story isn't bad at all! It's the grind fest postgame multiplayer that ruins it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lobok posted:

Wouldn't they have done something with Spider-Man then? He's in Avengers.

Spider-Man took like a year to come out, so probably the writing was already on the wall.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The Sega Iron Man game from the first and only set of MCU games wasn't good but it did have a cool mechanic kinda like the Crysis suit mode swapping where you were distributing power in your suit to the various subsystems, so you could have a bit of everything but not be amazing at it but if you needed big ranged power and the unibeam you had to shift all power to that but it took a bit of time to actually shift the power around. In a good game something like that could add a bit of friction and Stark like planning/improvisation to fights.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

thebardyspoon posted:

In a good game something like that could add a bit of friction and Stark like planning/improvisation to fights.
You do this through loadouts and suit dynamics, the way that the Spiderman game did.

I don't want to sit around moving energy to my Dickstributor while playing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I find that a lot less interesting personally since basically every game does it but sure whatever. Not sure what's "improvisational" about selecting something in a menu while the game is paused either.

To clarify, you didn't sit around, you pressed a direction on the d-pad and then the energy went where you selected it over a few seconds and your attacks, movement or whatever in that area got more powerful/forceful over that time. Sorta like directing energy to shields, engines or weapons in tie fighter/x-wing.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 24, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I was just thinking about how hard a good IronMan game would be to make when I realized making it Saint's Row/Prototype and Tony's out fighting the Armor Wars probably is the best bet.

Or maybe something in VR.

For how much the rest of it sucked, Anthem very much felt like you were playing Iron Man. So if they copy that and make a few tweaks there's already the foundation for building the rest of the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waffleman_ posted:

Spider-Man took like a year to come out, so probably the writing was already on the wall.

Yeah but it's not the kind of thing to just whip up quickly. If they had to do a course correction did they replace Yuri Lowenthal with a different VA? Never said anything about it being similar to the Insomniac version and said their costume would be classic, even before Avengers had come out.

thebardyspoon posted:

I find that a lot less interesting personally since basically every game does it but sure whatever. Not sure what's "improvisational" about selecting something in a menu while the game is paused either.

To clarify, you didn't sit around, you pressed a direction on the d-pad and then the energy went where you selected it over a few seconds and your attacks, movement or whatever in that area got more powerful/forceful over that time. Sorta like directing energy to shields, engines or weapons in tie fighter/x-wing.

Yeah when you mentioned that my mind went to TIE Fighter. You could essentially have access to all moves or modify your "build" on the fly but you would need to power down some things in order to power up other things. It could be a more proactive, overt decision-making version of the kind of thing that's in Spider-Man where your Focus meter can be used to heal you or do Finishers or keep your damage up. If you decide to do a Finisher you now have less Focus to use for healing.

That said, FilthyImp is still right that this is an Iron Man game and so much of the appeal will be in switching, adjusting, and levelling up your suits like an RPG or Gran Turismo game so I imagine a lot of care will go into the player tinkering with the armour. You might be able to switch things during a fight but the bounds of your abilities and power will be from the suit you chose before the mission.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I played the demo on the 360 and aside from like the Unibeam I really didn't see much of a difference that made the mechanic worthwhile. Maybe you got a few extra repulsor shots before cool down but that's a loving stupid way to structure combat anyway.

It's just a lame excuse to add some meaningless complexity to a rote action title, in my opinion.

Loadouts are pretty boringly generic, but they also let you have a better notion of customizability with how you play. The aforementioned Spider finishers and suit upgrades, really.

An Iron Man game would have a shitload of suit greebles and skills and weapon options so you'll be poking around in menus anyway.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FilthyImp posted:

I played the demo on the 360 and aside from like the Unibeam I really didn't see much of a difference that made the mechanic worthwhile. Maybe you got a few extra repulsor shots before cool down but that's a loving stupid way to structure combat anyway.

It's just a lame excuse to add some meaningless complexity to a rote action title, in my opinion.

Loadouts are pretty boringly generic, but they also let you have a better notion of customizability with how you play. The aforementioned Spider finishers and suit upgrades, really.

An Iron Man game would have a shitload of suit greebles and skills and weapon options so you'll be poking around in menus anyway.

It's not meaningless complexity if it... has meaning. Combat systems typically have moves that you have to earn during a fight or that cost you somehow. It's not to annoy players for the sake of it but to demonstrate skill and thinking on your feet tactically.

When it comes to menus, poking around in them is fun but that should be done in between fighting. This kind of thing is what you do during the fight.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah well I said it wasn't a good system in Iron Man in the original post didn't I, Crysis did it better but still not ideal.

In my mind it's something like a mix of DMC style switching and Monster Hunter's style's/stances where you get to plan and think "ok in like, 7 seconds when I'm going to be doing the big third hit of my melee combo, I'm gonna want all my energy to be in my melee actuators so I'll put the energy there now while I'm diving into this crowd." Then doing that would make that third go from decent damage, little knockback to full, massive damage and huge knockback/stun on a big enemy that'd do a shockwave and knock everything else around and then while it's reeling from that you'd put the energy into your unibeam and be charging it up as the energy is going into it and the thing is recovering, it just starts charging at you as you finish charging and get that super satisfying, giffable laser blast that absolute devastates it like a true charged slash repelling a charging monster in Monster Hunter.

To me the most iconic Iron Man stories/moments that you'd want to try and adapt the fantasy of are bits like his first big fight against the Hulk where he's using every trick in his suit and the environment to do everything he can to just slow him down and hit him, putting power into shields to take the hits and then into his weapons to trade back blows, his suit is gradually getting trashed and losing power and then when he thinks he's basically gotta give it everything or die he puts all his power into one punch which knocks him out but his suit is just done. Or stuff like him switching his priorities on the fly between zooming around shooting poo poo on the ground, trading blows with a big monster and outwitting some super scientist villain by hacking his science mcguffin while he's distracting him by being Tony Stark.

Obviously I'm not gonna convince someone fully against it that the idea is great cause it's not been done amazingly in a game yet and yeah it could be poo poo but I think immediately trashing it, saying it'd just be meaningless complexity in a rote action game and THEN saying they'd definitely need to have loads of menu based skill trees and greebles and then it'd be a good game is a bit laughable. That's kinda one of the main things that makes every big open world RPG/action game feel so rote these days isn't it? I mean it absolutely would have that for sure and they could make that part good but I don't think that precludes having to make potentially interesting decisions in the midst of gameplay as well.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 24, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Iron Man is like the one game where that system studios keeps using of mixing and matching a bunch of random gear pieces would actually work and be fun

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lobok posted:

It's not meaningless complexity if it... has meaning.
Sorry, the point I was trying to make was that I don't remember the power switching system actually having an impact on the way the game played.

thebardyspoon posted:

In my mind it's something like a mix of DMC style switching and Monster Hunter's style's/stances ...
To me the most iconic Iron Man stories/moments that you'd want to try and adapt the fantasy of are bits like his first big fight against the Hulk where he's using every trick in his suit and the environment
I agree with the iconic moments stuff, but in my opinion games like Arkham Asylum/City and Marvel's Spiderman strike a good balance with that by giving you immediately accessible combat options that build towards upgraded AoE/PvE attacks or a big super/finisher.

quote:

immediately trashing it, saying it'd just be meaningless complexity in a rote action game and THEN saying they'd definitely need to have loads of menu based skill trees and greebles and then it'd be a good game is a bit laughable.
If you look at the way that Marvel's Spider-Man implemented the suit abilities, I think you have a template for what I was aiming for. Like swapping out Repulsor Gloves for Kinetic Drivers (Stronger Melee + Shrapnel Projectile, but greatly decreased ranged combat) on Vibraniun Armor (damage charges cells + over shield) would give you more of a melee build. Using Shocker Gauntlets (Projectile attacks immobilize robots) and Ghost Armor (Stealth+Teleport) is more of a sneaky build, etc.

This is all hoping that the greebles don't become some insane Hall 5 poo poo where you grind for random loot box shoes and helmets, though....

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of the powers/mods system in Spider-Man, they need to be overhauled for the sequel if they're both coming back. The mods needed to be things that really affected playstyle more and for fewer to be passive boosts to defence. More slots would be better for playstyle mods as well so that the number of combinations is bigger and players can really have different styles or themes. More slots especially if maybe they decided to get rid of a powers system and roll those things into mods or make them special abilities you build up to in combat.

The powers were wildly unbalanced with ones that were so OP compared to others, especially given that you earn powers over the course of the game and were rarely compelling enough to switch out the starting powers for. Check any survey of players' favourite powers and the vast majority pick the 2 given at the start or the end-game ones.

There were several powers that would have worked far better as mods because then they would have been passive gameplay modifiers and not just hilariously short bits of extra fun. Like why would Low Gravity be on a cooldown instead of just something always on? The cooldowns themselves needed work because many of them had no reason to be as long as they were and the game didn't even communicate how long the different cooldowns even were. And the player had no way to shorten the cooldowns other than playing around with checkpoints. Usually in a game the player has some way to equip items or boost stats or do things in combat to shorten them but nope.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Gotham Knights will take multiple playthroughs to see the whole story

That's a very hyperbolic title for what's going on.

quote:

"We actually made four [stories], not just one!" said Mui. Ellenor followed up by saying that "You will not see all of it in a single playthrough. Just because there’s so much content that is unique to the hero’s perception of what’s going on and what’s happened."

As the cinematic director, Mui was certainly involved in making each mission distinct for each hero. "Structurally, we’re gonna have a very similar scene that overall falls in the flow for each character, but each character has their own version of that," he said. A character's version will differ because they move, speak, and act differently, and have their own history with different characters they meet.

"If you were to look and play Batgirl, you’re gonna get Batgirl’s version," said Mui, "but if you play Robin, you’re gonna get Robin’s version of that same scene. Some of them are very similar in how they do it, but they’re gonna have little subtle differences."

That said, I am kinda thinking about how you could kinda replicate the line-crossovers where the different characters have different side quests. similar to how there'd be a main crossover storyline and then the characters each have their own storyline that runs alongside it in their own book. But that'd actually be making four games, so, you know, I get it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nobody will ever complete it since nobody will ever want to play as Jason Todd.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I think I'll probably either do Nightwing first, then Batgirl, or bounce between them, and if those are different enough I might play Robin. But yeah, aside from that one guy who got perma'd a few years back I don't see a lot of Jason Todd playthoughs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah, DT is still out there

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I suspect the one played most will be whichever one is selected first in the menu. Will be interesting if there's achievements for finishing it as each character or they release stats a few weeks in and seeing who the least played is.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

thebardyspoon posted:

I suspect the one played most will be whichever one is selected first in the menu. Will be interesting if there's achievements for finishing it as each character or they release stats a few weeks in and seeing who the least played is.

I agree with this unless it's Batgirl because if there's one thing Baldur Gate 3's metrics have proved it's that if you put a woman as the default character gamers will go out of their way to pick the white man

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can you switch characters during the game? I'd like to go between Nightwing and Batgirl.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Can you switch characters during the game? I'd like to go between Nightwing and Batgirl.

It sounded like you could do it level to level in the initial media.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah if I get this, I'll play Babs. If it's fun I'll play as Dick, but only if there's a real difference in play styles or it's Spider-Man levels of fun will I bother with Tim or Jason.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
At least it's not Damien

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If Damian or Cassandra were in it I’d consider getting the game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CzarChasm posted:

At least it's not Damien

Tt

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

If or Cassandra were in it I’d consider getting the game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

If Damian or Cassandra were in it I’d consider getting the game.

Yeah that would be at least 1, maybe 2 extra play throughs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Gameonysus/status/1577813290918416385

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Christ. Is this for real? That feels like something that would happen in Sunset Overdrive, not Batman Sidekicks: The Take-backening. It would almost fit with the humor in the Suicide Squad game. Hit a random jukebox in the environment 7 times, this song plays and you get an achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's such a bad cover too