Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The descriptions of the broke games and how they have fun it them strike a cord with me playing garbage games as a kid (because I couldn't afford anything else) and coming up with fun strats.

I probably dumped over 1000 hours into Clayfighter for the SNES as well as a bunch of other garbage. It resonates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i dont think vrmmo as a genre is suited for any stakes bigger than "let's get our guild to #1!" every time ive seen someone try it just feels really hamfisted and awkward. especially since most of them default to three plot devices:

1) i need money and the game has a real money auctionhouse
2) The Game Is Actually Real
3) irl drama

it actually is way rarer for a vrmmo story to not do (2) in some fashion than not. which is understandable because (3) feels like a boring distraction from the central draw (the mmo) and (1) tends to lose relevance past the early chapters, so if you want some stakes that's the easiest way to make a video game "matter" but its the cliche of all cliches at this point.

also the way some writers write about pk is like. psychopathic.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Stexils posted:

i dont think vrmmo as a genre is suited for any stakes bigger than "let's get our guild to #1!" every time ive seen someone try it just feels really hamfisted and awkward. especially since most of them default to three plot devices:

1) i need money and the game has a real money auctionhouse
2) The Game Is Actually Real
3) irl drama

it actually is way rarer for a vrmmo story to not do (2) in some fashion than not. which is understandable because (3) feels like a boring distraction from the central draw (the mmo) and (1) tends to lose relevance past the early chapters, so if you want some stakes that's the easiest way to make a video game "matter" but its the cliche of all cliches at this point.

also the way some writers write about pk is like. psychopathic.

yeah this basically

the spicier you write the plot to facilitate tangible stakes, the closer you get to something like The Matrix or eXistenZ and not a "real" VRMMO story

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
a hamburger is flexible, but if you change too much or you change certain key facets of it then what you end up with is no longer classifiable as a hamburger

which might not matter from your perspective-- the final product can still be delicious (even better than a hamburger), but you're going to lose everyone that walked in hoping to get a hamburger

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I actually like lower stakes. When the stakes are low there's actually a meta possibility of failure. When there's a fight to the death in chapter 16, the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Dad of Light is a good (live action) show that uses an mmo as a framing device/narrative tool, I recommend people check it out

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Shangri-La Frontier is good because it features cute bunnies. QED.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it works because despite the mc doing cool stuff in-game he always looks goofy as hell, which is the proper mmo experience.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Shangri-La has "no real stakes" but it also doesn't feel stagnant because of it. The manga frames the MC's goal as just wanting to fight even harder-slash-jankier bosses, so you still get a sense of progression, and it works because the manga genuinely just wants to be a love letter to MMOs instead of using it as an excuse to have your usual masturbatory isekai/VR/etc story. It's less about the MC's personal story and more like you're watching a Let's Play of an imaginary MMO.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's kinda hard to 'have stakes' when the entire premise of the story is just someone puppeteering a character to do things they can't. It's like being invested in the life of Battlebot contestants vs their robots.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

RareAcumen posted:

It's kinda hard to 'have stakes' when the entire premise of the story is just someone puppeteering a character to do things they can't. It's like being invested in the life of Battlebot contestants vs their robots.

it's easy if you don't put it in a really specific box

like, make the robot bigger and there's a whole genre of really high stakes media exploring the use of battlebots as weapons of war

make the robot a living creature (like a monster of some kind) and there's another, completely different one investigating the relationship between trainer and vicarious battler

but again all of this requires going outside the expectations of the premise and basically turning it into something entirely different; the genre isn't necessarily incapable of stakes, the paradox is that the only way to give it stakes is to push it toward being something else

nothing about "the protagonist puppeteers a separate, more capable body" precludes stakes, it's all the trappings and surrounding concepts that make it an obstacle

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 23, 2022

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
genre is a cage

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Bofuri is the best MMO anime because it's about how one player is so bad at the game she's actually really good at the game.

Edit: The stakes are whether or not it's actually possible to patch the game. It's a psychological horror anime for game devs.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

MMOs can feel like they have real stakes, they just take some thinking that usually requires knowledge of the genre.

The King's Avatar has a decent chunk of its conflicts coming from the various official fanguilds of the esports pvp guilds competing to get world firsts whenever a new server is spun up (which is also when the story kicks off) and then competing to get and then maintain the best clear times in the hardest pve content. The stakes aren't any higher than normal MMO stuff but the intense passion sure is there. And then when the actual esports pros start borrowing accounts to beat an independent rising star on the new server who keeps stealing records from their fans, and their performance in the actual esports degrades as a direct result... well, those are the stakes I suppose.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it works because despite the mc doing cool stuff in-game he always looks goofy as hell, which is the proper mmo experience.

the proper mmo experience is to spend 40 hours obsessing over your outfit, then stepping out of the customization room to see some dude wearing nothing but a towel and a clown wig calling you cringe

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Does it go overboard on glitches and exploits? I read one where the game was so broken that he was doing things like grinding by whacking a torch that had infinite HP, and his secret overpowered technique was frame cancelling his attacks. I forget the title but it was fun while the novelty lasted, up until you realize it's more or less the same joke repeated ad infinitum.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

SpiderLink posted:

Shangri-La Frontier is good because it features cute cool bunnies. QED.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yinlock posted:

the proper mmo experience is to spend 40 hours obsessing over your outfit, then stepping out of the customization room to see some dude wearing nothing but a towel and a clown wig calling you cringe your outfit looks like poo poo in regular lighting

FTFY

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Overgeared (and Moonlight Sculptor which is basically the same thing) , had the tension come from him having to earn enough money in the dumb MMO to support his family. I found that compelling, and (in Overgeared 's case) become much less interesting when he solved that initial issue.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Do those guys support their families by streaming? Or is it some play to earn thing.

A VRMMO anime focused on streamer culture might be interesting.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’ve never really gotten the idea that lack of stakes is necessarily a problem. Like, are stakes cool? Yes, sure, but I read a ton of slice of life series where the only stakes are interpersonal drama even without MMO overlay, so I have never thought it was necessary.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Most of the stuff in an MMORPG manga just reads like a 10-year-old talking about how cool their own MMORPG idea is or something.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah but that’s a matter of writing quality, not stakes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The litmus test is whether or not you can tell if the author actually plays mmos

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Runa posted:

The litmus test is whether or not you can tell if the author actually plays mmos

So many MMO stories that feel like the last MMO the author heard about was EverQuest.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
VRMMO where they go to a virtual dance club and tip the dj on twitch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I always felt like the author of SAO had played Ragnarok Online or something for 2 hours, saw a high level person run by and blow up a bunch of slimes in one hit, and then decided to write a book about how cool that person was.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Argue posted:

Does it go overboard on glitches and exploits? I read one where the game was so broken that he was doing things like grinding by whacking a torch that had infinite HP, and his secret overpowered technique was frame cancelling his attacks. I forget the title but it was fun while the novelty lasted, up until you realize it's more or less the same joke repeated ad infinitum.

First, you're thinking of Kono Sekai ga Game dato Ore dake ga Shitte Iru which sadly hasn't seen an update in ages.

And to answer your question, No and Yes. The main setting, Shangri-la, is very well made and doesn't feature much in the way of exploits; in fact the only one I can think of got patched out as soon as the MC had made good use of it.

However because the MC loves playing kusoge, periodically he takes a break from Shangri-la to go meet old friends in one of those janky games. The series does a good job of mixing those up as well, from what I remember we've seen: a survival game where the players hated it so much they turned on the NPCs and took over, a fighting game full of broken hitboxes and frame cancelling glitches, and a build-your-own-mech combat game.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Nemo2342 posted:

First, you're thinking of Kono Sekai ga Game dato Ore dake ga Shitte Iru which sadly hasn't seen an update in ages.

And to answer your question, No and Yes. The main setting, Shangri-la, is very well made and doesn't feature much in the way of exploits; in fact the only one I can think of got patched out as soon as the MC had made good use of it.

However because the MC loves playing kusoge, periodically he takes a break from Shangri-la to go meet old friends in one of those janky games. The series does a good job of mixing those up as well, from what I remember we've seen: a survival game where the players hated it so much they turned on the NPCs and took over, a fighting game full of broken hitboxes and frame cancelling glitches, and a build-your-own-mech combat game.

That last one was not a Kusoge either, by all appearances.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

skaianDestiny posted:

What's that about?

Shangri-La Frontier is a lighthearted adventure romp about Sunraku, a guy who loves lovely games. Terrible platformers like Battletoads that require god-like reflexes to beat? Yes. JRPGs like Tales of Graces with awful writing and annoying characters? Yes. Broken messes like Sonic '06 that need frame-perfect inputs to pull off glitches? Hell loving yes. After beating a particularly annoying game, the owner of the video game store he frequents suggests that as a breath of fresh air, he should try out a 'critically-acclaimed MMO FFXIV'-level game, the titular Shangri-La Frontier.

SpiderLink posted:

Shangri-La Frontier is good because it features cute bunnies. QED.

blizzardvizard posted:

Shangri-La has "no real stakes" but it also doesn't feel stagnant because of it. The manga frames the MC's goal as just wanting to fight even harder-slash-jankier bosses, so you still get a sense of progression, and it works because the manga genuinely just wants to be a love letter to MMOs instead of using it as an excuse to have your usual masturbatory isekai/VR/etc story. It's less about the MC's personal story and more like you're watching a Let's Play of an imaginary MMO.

Besides all of these, Shangri-La Frontier also does a bunch of things that put it above the usual VRMMO fare:

- Sunraku doesn't really get one-of-a-kind invincible gear or overpowered moves like other VRMMO protagonists. His main weapons are the reflexes, persistence and outside-the-box thinking that he honed from playing poo poo games.
- At the same time, the series doesn't do the "MC comes up with the revolutionary idea of having someone act as a tank that no one else came up with" like in other series. Other characters come across as being intelligent players and have come up with their own strats.
- Sunraku and his friends are very relatable in that they spend the game trolling the hell out of each other. :v:
- No harem bullshit and the wome's designs aren't fanservice-y as hell. There's only one person who has a crush on Sunraku and it's the one who looks like Golbez from Final Fantasy.
- You get the feeling the author knows the MMO experience from how they write the series: Players are very particular about their character's looks, there's goofy clothing options, there're people who really wanna find out how to get cute pets, fighting unique bosses isn't a solo endeavor and has Sunraku teaming up with others like it's a raid.

Argue posted:

The manga you're thinking of is "I Am the Only One Who Knows This World Is a Game." Shangri-La Frontier the MMO doesn't have glitches or exploits, all of those are found in the other games Sunraku plays. He occasionally takes a break from the MMO to play those, and it fun seeing how each game has different ways of being absolute dogshit.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Siegkrow posted:

That last one was not a Kusoge either, by all appearances.

It did have controls so bad it made users physically ill, and required hundreds (thousands?) Of hours to adjust to using half of the poo poo in the game without making yourself vomit all over your VR headset.

Thats kinda a poo poo game design.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Clarste posted:

I always felt like the author of SAO had played Ragnarok Online or something for 2 hours, saw a high level person run by and blow up a bunch of slimes in one hit, and then decided to write a book about how cool that person was.

I believe that Kawahara had said Lord of the Flies was the initial inspiration.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

IIRC he also said that the MMO community stuff is basically entirely speculation.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
"Hearsay/stuff I kinda read in a magazine and vaguely remember of FFXI/EQ/UO/RO" fits SAO1 perfectly yeah

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't quite get why authenticity is so rare in mmo stories. it's a video game. you buy it and play it for a while and bam, now you understand mmo culture. but instead you get these weird rear end copies of copies of copies where the original author had also never played a mmo.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

i don't quite get why authenticity is so rare in mmo stories. it's a video game. you buy it and play it for a while and bam, now you understand mmo culture. but instead you get these weird rear end copies of copies of copies where the original author had also never played a mmo.

all the writers that actually play MMOs are too busy ERPing to write about it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The most realistic was MMO Junkie where they all went to buy cash cards at the combini when a new costume scratch came out

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

kirbysuperstar posted:

The most realistic was MMO Junkie where they all went to buy cash cards at the combini when a new costume scratch came out

I loved that show, it combined my two loves of romance and MMOs. Man do I like romance stories for an asexual.

Too bad about the director being a humongous bigot.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kwyndig posted:

I loved that show, it combined my two loves of romance and MMOs. Man do I like romance stories for an asexual.

Too bad about the director being a humongous bigot.

You can read the original story, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's apparently based on a web manga that has ended.