Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
marauders turn into warriors which, from everything i've ever heard (i've never played one myself) are one of the most straightforward and most bulletproof jobs in the game. Jokes about "why is there a healer in this party? tank is a warrior" abound. Good pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Having been tanking for a week now I'm *mostly* over my tankxiety. The only times I'm in trouble are where I forget tank stance or I've forgotten how something works in an alliance raid. I got yelled at in crystal tower labyrinth for not knowing what I was doing, but it was cool we made it through anyways. I'm now in the habit it just googling fights just to see if there's anything special for tanks to be doing.

Oh, and that one other time where I accidentally used lb. I was doing a main scenario roulette and fighting ultima. Right at the end someone was like 'get ready to use lb'. Internally I panicked. First was because I hadn't rebound lb to my hotbar. Second was because although I had done this fight a dozen times it'd been a while and I didn't remember the players requiring a lb. Third was because I'm someone who recently made it through the MSQ and there were a couple of boss fights that required a tank lb. So I was like oh poo poo I'm going to gently caress this up. super quickly I tossed lb on my horbar. Someone in chat was like "NOW" and I spammed it. I was not supposed to lb and got scolded. We made it through anyways.

People are 90% very cool with how I've been playing. I can absolutely tell though when there's a veteran player who is impatient. I mostly do wall to wall pulls now that I'm out of ARR content, but sometimes I'll forget exactly how far the walls are and I'll pull one less mob or something and the impatient healer/dps will run ahead and pull it themselves. Which is annoying, but I somewhat get it.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 26, 2022

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
To be clear, there isn't a LOT of difference between the tanks at 50, and you only get the "lol I can never die" button on war at 56. They're all very straightforward though and have similar 123 combos for bosses and a basic ae for trash. Your dps sucks, your job is just to make enemies hit you instead of anyone else.

You WILL forget tank stance at least once (it's removed if you downsync, so you have to apply it manually for most dungeons) so don't freak out if the first pull goes bad cos you forgot. It happens, laugh about it and nobody bat's an eye. Ask me about the one time I wiped an all good exdr in Smileton due to this. :v:

Melee has positional so try not to spin the boss around like a top, rotate cool downs, you'll be fine.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Ice Fist posted:

I mostly do wall to wall pulls now that I'm out of ARR content, but sometimes I'll forget exactly how far the walls are and I'll pull one less mob or something and the impatient healer/dps will run ahead and pull it themselves. Which is annoying, but I somewhat get it.
Even as a veteran, I mostly just do two groups of enemies at a time. It's a comfortable amount so that even if your healer and/or dps aren't particularly good that you can still get through without too many issues. If someone wants to go for more, I'll go for that too.

My notes about tanking:
-Defensive cooldowns are meant to be used proactively, not reactively. Start using cooldowns during trash pulls like Rampart when you're at 90% HP rather than waiting until you're at 50%. You also generally want to stagger them rather than using them all simultaneously.
-You may feel responsible for any wipes or other mistakes but it's not always your fault. Even if you're hitting your cooldowns and the healer is doing all they can to keep you up, a pull can still go bad if the DPS aren't killing fast enough and you+healer run out of resources.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Awesome, thank you for the advice all! Seems like I picked the "right" class to start off with.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Are there any YouTube guides that just give the tldr on important poo poo in fights? MTQ is pretty good but she also explains EVERY attack, even when it just boils down to "avoid aoes" or "stack up on the stack up marker" I feel like a video that's just "you need to do X or you die" or "move back in after avoiding this aoe" would be useful. Explaining JUST the not-obvious mechanics of a dungeon / raid.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Are there any YouTube guides that just give the tldr on important poo poo in fights? MTQ is pretty good but she also explains EVERY attack, even when it just boils down to "avoid aoes" or "stack up on the stack up marker" I feel like a video that's just "you need to do X or you die" or "move back in after avoiding this aoe" would be useful. Explaining JUST the not-obvious mechanics of a dungeon / raid.

It's a sweet spot that I find difficult to find and one of the reasons I prefer text guides (which are difficult to find at all because they don't have engagement metrics). I can just skim to the parts I'm trying to understand.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's probably an underserved audience for a few reasons. Ask 5 different people what an obvious mechanic is and you'll get 5 different answers. And the truly anxious probably want to side with more information than less.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Plus a lot of people don't actually understand the nuances of most mechanics, they just understand the resolution. This is doubly true for a lot of dungeon stuff where there's a lot of weird one-off quirks that don't really matter.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I still get ridiculous tankxiety and I've gotten a couple jobs to 50+ now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Alisaie has been entertaining since she's been allowed to actually be part of the team. A chip on her shoulder in almost every conversation, she's funny.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shinjobi posted:

Alisaie has been entertaining since she's been allowed to actually be part of the team. A chip on her shoulder in almost every conversation, she's funny.

Alisaie just gets funnier the more you progress the MSQ. It's great.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Alisaie just gets funnier the more you progress the MSQ. It's great.

She's my favorite Scion and she's just great.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Shinjobi posted:

Alisaie isn't my favorite scion but she's a goodun

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

S.J. posted:

She's my favorite Scion and she's just great.

She's so good I wouldn't even call her a Scion.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

Alisaie isn't my favorite scion but she's a goodun

:same:

My personal favorite other than someone who comes in quite late is actually Urianger. Love that nerd. But Alisaie is up there.

I don’t really dislike any Scion? The one that comes the closest for me is Y’shtola because I find her very undeveloped.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Now that I think about it, has she really had her own arc like the others have? I feel like she hasn't.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

S.J. posted:

Now that I think about it, has she really had her own arc like the others have? I feel like she hasn't.

I'm not even at EW yet but Alisae is cool and my well-characterized friend! Bahamut Raid in ARR(ok fine it's ARR and it's Alisae/A Scion in ARR), the Kobold kid in ARR to HW, showing off that she's a Cool RDM And Your Friend into Stormblood, oh gosh she really cares about the WoL from StB into ShB, the desert zone and then some in ShB.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doomykins posted:

I'm not even at EW yet but Alisae is cool and my well-characterized friend! Bahamut Raid in ARR(ok fine it's ARR and it's Alisae/A Scion in ARR), the Kobold kid in ARR to HW, showing off that she's a Cool RDM And Your Friend into Stormblood, oh gosh she really cares about the WoL from StB into ShB, the desert zone and then some in ShB.

They're talking about Y'shtola.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Electric Phantasm posted:

They're talking about Y'shtola.

Oh no I'm a big dummy.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I started Eureka last night, and I can’t believe they hid some guild wars 2 this far into the game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

I started Eureka last night, and I can’t believe they hid some guild wars 2 this far into the game.

Eureka's an interesting thing to come across as someone brand new, since the current implementation is a far cry from what it was on launch. The intention back then was to recapture the spirit of older MMOs like FFXI: soloing was very slow and difficult and not especially rewarding, mounting required zone progression, and dying ate a huge chunk of your EXP bar for how long it took to grind it up. Grouping up with other people to camp specific spots was therefore almost mandatory to get through it at a reasonable clip, and a large amount of intrazone cooperation for things like spawning Notorious Monsters was necessary. It's almost completely soloable nowadays and much easier to progress through, so if you see people complaining about how much they dislike Eureka, it's likely from the experience they had with it back in Stormblood.

There's another zone similar to it further down the line in Shadowbringers, although it was designed from the start to be more friendly to casual and solo play, so opinions tend to be more neutral on it. I liked both for what they were, but I'm glad that they're both broadly accessible for new players to enjoy now that they're no longer current content.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wtf how have i never heard of Eureka before. this looks rad

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Alxprit posted:

On controller or keyboard?

Both

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Seems like Eureka has very little incentive to do it outside of, I guess, the Stormblood legendary weapon stuff, and a few minions or whatever. You don't get carry-over EXP for all the work you put in.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Seems like Eureka has very little incentive to do it outside of, I guess, the Stormblood legendary weapon stuff, and a few minions or whatever. You don't get carry-over EXP for all the work you put in.

It is entirely self contained, so yeah, unless you're looking for specific glams, mounts, etc, there isn't.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

It’s got a story to see, and that’s enough for me.
Also I got a cool jacket glam on my first trip there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

wtf how have i never heard of Eureka before. this looks rad

It's rather innocuous side content that's hard to stumble across if you're not looking for it directly, especially since it doesn't tend to draw huge crowds nowadays. There's still usually a good bunch of people trawling around the zones, but it's definitely not something most players are going to know about if they don't already.

Schwartzcough posted:

It's got some cool-looking relics, dyeable Stormblood Artifact armor, and several role specific sets of unique-looking armor. It's mostly a casual side thing that you level slowly via the Challenge Log and the occasional group, but it's worth it if you want some otherwise excellent fashion bits.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

If you have an FC that can run you through it (like our goon guilds on Excal) its a blast to play and I would recommend. Its a very chill, relatively low stakes set of fairly pretty zones, and you even get a raid at the end to go through! (Yeah you lose xp on death but the community is good enough that its easy to get a rez to save you that)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I love dumb bullshit pointless side things right now, as i've promised my friends that im gonna stream my MSQ progress and that's on hold till i sort out my stream setup next week. Gonna check it out this week, thanks!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Man, the Alchemist role quests are a lot more interesting than I was expecting. I thought it was going to be something like 'make liniment for granny's sore knee', not 'FANTASY CRIME LAB MURDER SPECTACULAR 24-7'.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Picayune posted:

Man, the Alchemist role quests are a lot more interesting than I was expecting. I thought it was going to be something like 'make liniment for granny's sore knee', not 'FANTASY CRIME LAB MURDER SPECTACULAR 24-7'.

I'd been wondering how they'd escalate from "elixir of life" into HW, and Fantasy CSI has not disappointed so far.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Most professions 1-50: "Mastering your craft is about caring for your customers, listening to their needs, and avoiding jerks. Also giving this guy nice wood when he gets depressed."
Alchemy 1-50: NECROMANCY!

In the end it's always about the friends made along the way.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

S.J. posted:

It is entirely self contained, so yeah, unless you're looking for specific glams, mounts, etc, there isn't.

It's fun! Also the elemental +1 gear is quite good for blue mage, if that's your thing.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
I would honestly play Eureka if it gave XP like bozja does, I wish they would rework PotD to do 1-50, HoH 51-60 and eureka 61-70, but I guess accessing Onokoro before SB begins is a problem
I'd really want to do the content but basically no one plays Eureka on EU/Chaos unless a well known streamers gets in, and from what I could see of it, soloing is not really a good plan

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Eureka on EU/Chaos was full of people the month prior to EW, but that was mostly due to people checking off prior content that they hadn't completed yet (me included). It's pretty much a ghost town now. I mostly did Eureka so that I could do Baldesion Arsenal (which I managed to complete eventually), and I would recommend trying to do BA: there are specific discords in the various data centres that used to regularly schedule runs of it. It's a raid unlike anything else out there (apart from Delubrum Reginae Savage), and although unforgiving, not as hard as it's made out to be. Going to max rank in Eureka is a slog, but IMO doing BA is well worth it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bruceski posted:

Most professions 1-50: "Mastering your craft is about caring for your customers, listening to their needs, and avoiding jerks. Also giving this guy nice wood when he gets depressed."

Helping jerks until they recognise your talent and (mostly) stop is a far more common theme. Weaver is an exception in its nice customer focus.

Beatin is a belligerent and abusive rear end in a top hat. But his name is a funny joke, you see (and the kids like him to be fair).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Beatin despite being described as harsh and critical is just like all the other mentors who start drooling over you for the most basic things.

Geva owns because she gives you exactly how much respect your creations warrant, which starts out as very little.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

iirc the goldsmith mammet also tells you you're garbage

but it does that to everyone so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"let's give the goldsmithing mentor an angry robot that sexually harasses her" was, uh, definitely a decision somebody made