Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

And it's loving weird we can't admit that nearly 20 years after the fact. It's not like acknowledging some very understandable limits will take away from Keanu's good work or make him like you less.

What the gently caress are you talking about? Every time I've ever seen Constantine discussed people call out that Keanu is bad in it. I remember people bringing up his performance when discussing that Constantine CW show that lasted two episodes. Hell, people complain about his performances in The Matrix and John Wick. What weird echo chamber are you living in where everyone is afraid to talk poo poo about an actor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mind the walrus posted:

I mean, looking at Hellblazer comics of the 00s the 2005 movie is actually.... a really faithful adaptation. Like no-poo poo. It really does follow the beats and structure of what Constantine stories of that time actually were. The aesthetics are very similar. Pretty much everything is "there" from page to screen the way you'd expect it to be, minus the baffling decision of casting Shia LeBeouf as Chas. The plot feels shopworn because Hellblazer stories of that period were very old and shopworn. The gimmick was long past its sell-by date.

The movie just doesn't follow the way people imagine Constantine stories in their head-- him flipping off a demon after tricking it, being blonde and achingly charismatic, and vibe that's much more "The Clash's London Calling" than a more overtly religious/magical version of Se7en.

Which is the real problem which is somehow taboo to say even though like, it's ok I bet he'd agree with you-- Keanu Reeves just isn't very good in the part.

He's not bad as a movie star. He's got some truly great strengths as a performer (mostly physicality and leading man vulnerability) and a lot of scripts/directors know how to leverage it to get really great performances that suit the narrative well (Point Break, Bill & Ted, The Matrix, that one where the girls torture him, John Wick). Also yes-- by all accounts he's a genuinely nice man who deserves great things and is a beautiful-looking person that 75% of the world would gladly go down on in a heartbeat, all true and valid.

But Constantine is a part that demands more from him than he can give. And watching it I could see that he does "get it." He knows what the role wants. The opening where he exorcises the demon from the girl and is an absolute dick to their family-- the script and direction and staging are on-point. The lines are there. Keanu knows what it's going for. He just.... can't become the character. It's the same problem with "A Scanner Darkly." Keanu is doing his level best and I still love him, but he's just not able to do a role that complex. I couldn't either.

And it's loving weird we can't admit that nearly 20 years after the fact. It's not like acknowledging some very understandable limits will take away from Keanu's good work or make him like you less.

I completely agree.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I'd say before 5 or so years ago the only thing I ever heard about Keanu Reeves was that he was a bad actor.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Keanu Reeves isn't the best actor but he's incredibly nice and dedicated so we just all go along with it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Keanu Reeves was never considered a good actor, just one who could do a specific role. It's only in his later career that people are like, "Oh, he can actually do the thing."

I think seeing him play well against type in the Neon Demon was a sign that he can do the thing. But he seems like a lovely person who's enjoying life, so...that's fine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It doesn’t help that in the interim Matt Ryan came along and knocked Constantine out of the park. Think what you will about the material he’s given, the guy is John Constantine.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Phy posted:

There were a buttload of exorcism movies starting in the 00s, iirc "Of Emily Rose" was one of the less crappy ones

That one was the one that was a "Christianity is under attack" legal drama with a trailer cut to make it look like a horror movie to trick people into seeing it. I think you're thinking of a different movie.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Keanu reeves best role was in that Sam raimi movie with a young Katie holmes where she gets her knockers out.

No i haven’t seen it in twenty years nor can i remember the name.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Phylodox posted:

It doesn’t help that in the interim Matt Ryan came along and knocked Constantine out of the park. Think what you will about the material he’s given, the guy is John Constantine.

"DC's Legends Of Tomorrow is the best live-action show DC has ever managed, and Constantine is great in it." is what I say!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Jenna Coleman also rules in the role

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

Jenna Coleman also rules in the role

A Sandman show was a terrible idea creatively, but an overdue one commercially and she was good casting.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Keanu reeves best role was in that Sam raimi movie with a young Katie holmes where she gets her knockers out.

No i haven’t seen it in twenty years nor can i remember the name.

That would be The Gift (2000).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HopperUK posted:

I'm extremely fond of Stigmata. It's not *good*, mind you. I just like it.

e: soundtrack contains this Chumbawamba track that I loving *loved* back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MOxsvx-HVU

Chumbawamba actually aged really well, insofar as the world decayed badly enough that I now understand and appreciate what they were singing about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSpqj3V0s2E

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Keanu is also pretty good in Speed and Point Break. He has a niche that works well. Outside of that, it’s pretty shaky. Sometimes you get Devil’s Advocate, sometimes you get Neon Demon. Sometimes, Dracula.

I enjoyed Constantine but I won’t pretend he’s a great choice for the role. Like someone else said, he seems to be a nice guy and Hollywood has make-a-wished a b-tier actor to an A-lister.

Realistically, he’s about as good as a regular on CSI or a supporting role on like, Hannibal.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Yeah, I wouldn't call Keanu a bad actor, just one with a fairly limited range. He's badly out of place in the Ken Brannagh Much Ado About Nothing, for example.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rascar Capac posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't call Keanu a bad actor, just one with a fairly limited range.

That's a really important distinction to make and I think it's why we've had such a Keanussaince in the past decade or so: casting directors finally started giving him the right roles.

There's a tidbit on his Wikipedia page about him playing Hamlet on stage and some reviewer gushing endlessly about the performance. It makes me really curious to have seen that production since it doesn't seem like something that would be particularly in his wheelhouse, excerpt for maybe how he comes across in interviews.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Stigmata was the first movie to give my wife a seizure. It was also like our second date movie, so I had to drive her car to the hospital as she was being taken there in an ambulance. Which was a learning experience for me cuz I had never driven an automatic before and kept hitting the brake like it was the clutch out of habit.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

That one was the one that was a "Christianity is under attack" legal drama with a trailer cut to make it look like a horror movie to trick people into seeing it. I think you're thinking of a different movie.

Certainly could be.

Rascar Capac posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't call Keanu a bad actor, just one with a fairly limited range. He's badly out of place in the Ken Brannagh Much Ado About Nothing, for example.

I have tried several times to watch Bram Stoker's Dracula for the art direction and Gary Oldman's performance and the fact that it's one of the few adaptations to show Drac getting stabbed to death by a rich cowboy with a Bowie knife, but I can't get past Reeves as Jonathan Harker.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rochallor posted:

That's a really important distinction to make and I think it's why we've had such a Keanussaince in the past decade or so: casting directors finally started giving him the right roles.

There's a tidbit on his Wikipedia page about him playing Hamlet on stage and some reviewer gushing endlessly about the performance. It makes me really curious to have seen that production since it doesn't seem like something that would be particularly in his wheelhouse, excerpt for maybe how he comes across in interviews.

I thought his role Dangerous Liaisons was very different than anything else I felt fit him and he did that well.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Phy posted:

I have tried several times to watch Bram Stoker's Dracula for the art direction and Gary Oldman's performance and the fact that it's one of the few adaptations to show Drac getting stabbed to death by a rich cowboy with a Bowie knife, but I can't get past Reeves as Jonathan Harker.

yeah it's kind of like watching Gangs of New York with Cameron Diaz

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Keanu is not a good actor but he’s very good at picking projects so he usually ends up the worst part of every movie he’s in. That’s not a bad place to be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've mentioned before, but Keanu being so friendly and genuine also extends to the fact that he'll really dedicate himself to doing such a job as well as he can. He'll do his best to understand everything going into the Matrix, he'll go hard on understanding the choreography for fight scenes, all that.

That doesn't make up for him occasionally just being bad casting, of course.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I have a CD wallet labelled Desert Island Emergency Kit filled with my top 20 DVDs, just in case I'm ever stranded alone after my boat sinks, and Constantine is right near the front

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Also, Keanu Reeves in Always Be My Maybe as an rear end in a top hat faux crunchy goopster version of himself makes me laugh every time

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Phylodox posted:

That would be The Gift (2000).

That it would be
x

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I've mentioned before, but Keanu being so friendly and genuine also extends to the fact that he'll really dedicate himself to doing such a job as well as he can. He'll do his best to understand everything going into the Matrix, he'll go hard on understanding the choreography for fight scenes, all that.

Being friendly, hardworking, and a little competent puts you in the top 20% of almost everything

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Kei Technical posted:

Being friendly, hardworking, and a little competent puts you in the top 20% of almost everything

Keanu shows up on set every day prepared and ready to work, no drug/sex/violence scandals in a nearly four decade long career, he treats the crew well, he can open a movie whether it’s art house or wide release, he’s great on talk shows, he doesn’t gently caress his female co-stars or have relationship drama, all ages like him from kids to grandmas, no strange religion or politics, he’s nice to fans he meets on the street, everyone is willing to work with him, he doesn’t give a poo poo about being a star or award winner.

He’s rarer than a rainbow Sasquatch, NOBODY in Hollywood at that level acts like this.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Keanu shows up on set every day prepared and ready to work, no drug/sex/violence scandals in a nearly four decade long career, he treats the crew well, he can open a movie whether it’s art house or wide release, he’s great on talk shows, he doesn’t gently caress his female co-stars or have relationship drama, all ages like him from kids to grandmas, no strange religion or politics, he’s nice to fans he meets on the street, everyone is willing to work with him, he doesn’t give a poo poo about being a star or award winner.

He’s rarer than a rainbow Sasquatch, NOBODY in Hollywood at that level acts like this.

yea pretty much, Keanu's a fantastic example of how you can do well if you just have a level of talent and skill and are a personable person to be around. He's never going to be some great hallowed name in acting but he's a genuinely nice seeming guy who's been in Hollywood this long with zero drama or weirdness and very clearly doesn't have an ego or inflated image of what he does. Dude may have like three characters he can play but he'll be welcome on most projects just because he's a safe asset you know won't cause problems and will be professional.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I'm going to take the opportunity to bring up my absolute favorite random Keanu role here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYG0O8exvBg

It's literally just Rebel Without A Cause cosplay and I love every second of it :allears:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sidestepping all the racism and misogyny in MASH. (and there is a lot of that.)

The part I don't like about it is in the later years, Alan Alda got more and more control, and his character basically became the parody of it that was in Futurama. With the maudlin/irreverent switch.

But even saying that, it is a hugely important and (mostly) good show.

The baddies were magnificent. The bloke who played Frank was amazing in finding the fine line between pitiable and detestable. And Charles Winchester is a phenomenal character, (a huge arrogant snob to be the baddie in the slobs v snobs way, but also a fine surgeon with a good heart who cared for his patients.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BrigadierSensible posted:

The part I don't like about it is in the later years, Alan Alda got more and more control, and his character basically became the parody of it that was in Futurama. With the maudlin/irreverent switch.

The baddies were magnificent. The bloke who played Frank was amazing in finding the fine line between pitiable and detestable. And Charles Winchester is a phenomenal character, (a huge arrogant snob to be the baddie in the slobs v snobs way, but also a fine surgeon with a good heart who cared for his patients.)

My favourite aspect of Charles is how he interacts with Father Mulcahy. He believes he has to respect a cleric, but Mulcahy is from a lower-class Irish family and a Catholic and Charles disdains both of those things, and he just never quite knows what to do. And Mulcahy knows this and quietly leans into it any time he needs something, and it's very good.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

The show got serious sometimes, and those bits brought me straight back to the hospital/outpatient clinic I worked for in Afghanistan (it was a US navy facility, but my direct boss and coworkers were all soldiers). The soldiers I worked with were the ones who didn’t get hurt bad enough to be immediately sent home, but might just need like a week of rest and a psych assessment before that decision got made one way or the other. The theme song still drags me straight back there, and calls up the smell of bandages/dressings that need changing. It’s the weirdest thing, but it’s such a strong association.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Rochallor posted:

If you want to see him do Shakespeare, he is Don John in Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing. I thought he did well but overshadowed a bit by the rest of the cast. In his defense, the rest of the cast includes Denzel Washington, Kenneth Branagh, and Emma Thompson.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sure he has 3 characters but there’s a lot of those 3 dudes out there. It works fine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Keanu is good in and as Constantine. Very angry bitter man super disconnected from his insane life. It’s great

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Crowetron posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Every time I've ever seen Constantine discussed people call out that Keanu is bad in it. I remember people bringing up his performance when discussing that Constantine CW show that lasted two episodes. Hell, people complain about his performances in The Matrix and John Wick. What weird echo chamber are you living in where everyone is afraid to talk poo poo about an actor?
This exact pipeline which plays out every single time it comes up:

Rascar Capac posted:

Rochallor posted:

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Keanu is not a good actor but he’s very good at picking projects so he usually ends up the worst part of every movie he’s in. That’s not a bad place to be.

Cleretic posted:

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Also, Keanu Reeves in Always Be My Maybe as an rear end in a top hat faux crunchy goopster version of himself makes me laugh every time

Kei Technical posted:

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Dumpmaster General posted:

yea pretty much, Keanu's a fantastic example of how you can do well if you just have a level of talent and skill and are a personable person to be around. He's never going to be some great hallowed name in acting but he's a genuinely nice seeming guy who's been in Hollywood this long with zero drama or weirdness and very clearly doesn't have an ego or inflated image of what he does. Dude may have like three characters he can play but he'll be welcome on most projects just because he's a safe asset you know won't cause problems and will be professional.

Thomamelas posted:

If you want to see him do Shakespeare, he is Don John in Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing. I thought he did well but overshadowed a bit by the rest of the cast. In his defense, the rest of the cast includes Denzel Washington, Kenneth Branagh, and Emma Thompson.

CelticPredator posted:

Keanu is good in and as Constantine. Very angry bitter man super disconnected from his insane life. It’s great

Where the crowd mutates very quickly from "go gently caress yourself everyone knows he sucked in Constantine and has limited range" to "oh he's a wonderful guy though" to "yeah and he's a great actor too!" right into "Yeah and he was great in Constantine!"

Seen it happen here and dozens of other places, so maybe think before you bust out the ":jerkbag: What the gently caress are you talking about? :smug:" poo poo. It's an understandable phenomenon, but a loving weird one.

Thanks by the way everyone for the empirical evidence. Couldn't have done it without you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Keanu Reeves is awesome because he is a living example of how any profession on the planet Earth no matter how glamorous can present to you a worker you just cock your head at and go "aww, hey, he's trying give him some credit." Any profession, even hollywood acting.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Rochallor posted:

It's the same as regular Hamlet, but he double taps everyone to confirm the kill.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mind the walrus posted:

Thanks by the way everyone for the empirical evidence. Couldn't have done it without you.

:agreed:

Cleretic posted:

This is my favorite because it makes him sound like he has special needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

This exact pipeline which plays out every single time it comes up:

Where the crowd mutates very quickly from "go gently caress yourself everyone knows he sucked in Constantine and has limited range" to "oh he's a wonderful guy though" to "yeah and he's a great actor too!" right into "Yeah and he was great in Constantine!"

Seen it happen here and dozens of other places, so maybe think before you bust out the ":jerkbag: What the gently caress are you talking about? :smug:" poo poo. It's an understandable phenomenon, but a loving weird one.

Okay, you have a point about idolization of celebrities and the weird way people talk about a man they do not and never will know like he's a beloved family pet.