Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The curse in Reverie is also more just straight up brainwashing instead of amplifying "The Evil that lurks in the hearts of men" so there's a lot less emotional weight put on it. Except when there is, but there's only a couple of those scenes.

It just matters a lot less in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
The chest quotes have leaked!!! And half of them are preserved from Geofront!

...And yet the big one I absolutely needed to be in the localization got cut and replaced with a CS2-style chest quote instead. I need to go mope for half an hour now.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 minutes!

Delphisage posted:

The chest quotes have leaked!!! And half of them are preserved from Geofront!

...And yet the big one I absolutely needed to be in the localization got cut and replaced with a CS2-style chest quote instead. I need to go mope for half an hour now.

What was the Geofront version of that chest quote?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

SgtSteel91 posted:

What was the Geofront version of that chest quote?

I CLAPPED! I CLAPPED WHEN HE USED
THE EIGHT LEAVES ONE BLADE STYLE!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
They changed the Rixia one as well and that annoys me.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Never did learn if they used any of my submissions referencing Gagharv.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They kept the one I submitted* :unsmith:

*well I was at least one of those who submitted a message like this

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I genuinely don't like CS4, I liked CS3 up until the last third when it dragged a little too long.

I liked CS1 and 2 enough to replay them twice.

I would like Kuro more if I can throw Aaron Wei into the loving volcano full of piss and poo poo, he is the worst character

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I don't feel like clicking through the link, did they get rid of the police brutality jokes?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

King of Solomon posted:

I don't feel like clicking through the link, did they get rid of the police brutality jokes?

That reminds me, I hope that if the Zero LP picks back up or if a new one gets started, people just stay away from making ACAB references.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its fine to actually discuss how zero/ao relate to depictions of cops in media but i feel like a lot of people just wanted to post a catchphrase, yeah

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Did a quest in CSIV during Act 2 where it ended with Claire popping up to say "oh no, I would never condone [horribly evil thing the army was about to do], sorry about that Rean", and then did Altina's bonding event - where the same thing happened except with Lechter. Like, I get it, but it still feels like it got shoved in my face with the subtlety of a brick.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Justin_Brett posted:

it got shoved in my face with the subtlety of a brick

Ah, yes, CSIV in a nutshell

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Lechter and Claire are so loving bad it's almost a parody.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

RevolverDivider posted:

Lechter and Claire are so loving bad it's almost a parody.

To be fair, the Trails series as a whole frequently plays this card where the head honchos of the enemy force dropped by to tell the party that the latest excess was just a minion or a sole member getting overzealous and not something that was part of their master plan. We've seen it in Cold Steel II with first Vita and then Rufus jumping in to assure the player that Ymir and Celdic being razed was just Duke Albarea being a dick and we've seen it with in Sky SC with Campanella disavowing Gilbert occupying the academy and even the enforcers pointing out that the assault on Grancel was not really part of the Gospel Plan, it was just Weissmann wanting to have a little fun.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Trails from Zero out now

I’m in the last third of CS4, so I think eventually pick this up too

Question is, should I get the Switch version, or PC version?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Always double dip, then base your playing decision on if you want it portable or don't mind sitting at the desk.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SgtSteel91 posted:

Trails from Zero out now

I’m in the last third of CS4, so I think eventually pick this up too

Did you play Crossbell before starting CS3/4?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010
Probation

Some Numbers posted:

Did you play Crossbell before starting CS3/4?

I watched the equivalent of Let’s Plays to understand all the plot beats before starting CS3, but I never played the games myself

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zero has been set to unlock in "less than an hour" for what feels like 3 hours now. Give me my legal English Zero you fucks. :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Been playing the Switch port since Saturday only issues I've seen are when switching screens it does that thing that Link's Awaking remake does where the framerate tanks for a second, not sure if fast screen switching enabled does anything I've been playing with it off.

Oh and one instance of an NPC text box still being in Japanese lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Snip

There isn't any tension in the Trails games anymore. You know all of the playable party members will survive. Heimdallr will not be bombed into ruin, or the protagonist's hometown permanently captured by another state. There isn't even much tension for the fate of the bad guys because unless you are a minor filler villain you're probably going to escape or get away with everything scott free. I have zero confidence in a satisfactory outcome of the Ouroboros storyline, so at this point I don't care about the plot anymore. I play Trails because I like the turn based battle system, I like the music, and I like the aesthetics.

I'm just hoping that the creator's of this show have a free hand to inject actual tension in this show. We'll see.

I just want to know what happens to my boy Rean, Mr most interesting gentleman.

But otherwise I agree with you 100% on what you've said so far.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

God drat it I thought the refresh showed it was out but no it just added DLC I also can't put in my basket

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Tesseraction posted:

God drat it I thought the refresh showed it was out but no it just added DLC I also can't put in my basket

Restart steam, that almost always fixes it.

I just bought it myself, 3.6GB download, 4GB on disk. Not bad at all.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ahhh, now that's nice. Not a fight in sight.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is Zero good if I liked these games? :v:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, Yakuza 0 was like the best game in the series so it follows that Trails 0 must be the best game in the series too. This is how logic works.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Zero is awesome until you play Azure.

I didn't realize the Steam version is only 40$ compared to the Switch/PS4 versions, is it notably better than the Geofront versions or should I just wait for a small sale?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

infraboy posted:

Zero is awesome until you play Azure.

Does this mean Azure is even better, or so bad it makes the previous game worse?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think the Final Zero dungeon might be longer/worse than the Sky 1 Final dungeon.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
From the rabid fandom, Azure is the best apparently.

Sky 1 dungeon was REALLY bad but I can kind of give Falcom a pass since it was the first game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Yup!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/alyossan/status/1572411238868467712

e:

This is very distressing

Terper fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 27, 2022

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

ps4 version

switch version

great job NISA. nintendo wins again

e: to be clear this could also just be falcom's fault, IDK. but the ps4 version seemingly just being the original kai version without durante's improvements is v funny to me

Anyone know if this is still the case for the PS4 version?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

PlushCow posted:

Anyone know if this is still the case for the PS4 version?

Yes. Durante worked on the PC port and NISA used that codebase to make the Switch version. The PS4 version was a quick cashgrab Falcom did in-house and lacks all of the improvements of the PC and Switch versions.

Going back to Zero after playing Kuro is frying my brain. So many little QoL and gameplay changes in Kuro make playing Zero again feel like I'm learning to drive for the first time again.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Always double dip, then base your playing decision on if you want it portable or don't mind sitting at the desk.

Steam Deck wins again.

I am looking forward to going home today and having another Trails game to play.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yes. Durante worked on the PC port and NISA used that codebase to make the Switch version. The PS4 version was a quick cashgrab Falcom did in-house and lacks all of the improvements of the PC and Switch versions.

Going back to Zero after playing Kuro is frying my brain. So many little QoL and gameplay changes in Kuro make playing Zero again feel like I'm learning to drive for the first time again.

Appreciate the response, pc it will have to be

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zero owns gently caress the haters.

Azure is arguably the best Trails game of the first nine.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Zero is cool. Its got kind of a mediocre beginning but a very strong back half.

Good game imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

DuckHuntDog posted:

Steam Deck wins again.

I have certain regrets in my life (don't we all) and one of them was canceling my preorder when my turn came up five months ago. I'd have played the heck out of a bunch of JPRGs and VNs laying down in my bed.