Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The building on the left is real lucky the felled one wasn't a few stories taller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Also humans in general aren't particularly stupid? Nobody in the past was dumber than us, they just didn't have our millennia of institutional knowledge and science. Most people understood that if you set up your village on a good source of drinking water, you shouldn't poo poo in it and drop all your garbage in. Especially not upriver of the people taking it. Drinking water purity started becoming an issue more in the Early Modern period and Industrial Revolution when cities began exploding in population that they weren't capable of handling. Even then, London had built an elaborate water piping system delivering from the countryside in medieval times and its problems were more related to population growth overtaxing it (and eventually a little tiny fire) than the water purity.

A huge amount of the "people in the past must've been dumbos" comes from the industrial/Victorian Era where people tried to reconcile "we're the peak of human existence rule britannia god save the queen" with "our cities are drowning in human poo poo and poo poo-related disease".

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I can barely swing a hammer while 10,000 years ago my ancestors had to know how to build a house, source materials and build the tools to build a house, what plants around the house were edible, migration patterns of local fauna, and local seasonal events by the time they were middle aged at 15.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

by the time they were middle aged at 15.

Speaking of myths..

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Xakura posted:

Speaking of myths..

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just listened to a podcast on that gooniest of all the ceasars, Nero.
What I learned about survival in the ancient world is that you should be very good in getting young men to die for you. Or be exceedingly rich but uninterested in politics.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I can barely swing a hammer while 10,000 years ago my ancestors had to know how to build a house, source materials and build the tools to build a house, what plants around the house were edible, migration patterns of local fauna, and local seasonal events by the time they were middle aged at 15.

Life expectancy in ancient times is shorter not because people were middle aged at 15 but because child mortality rates were huuuuuuge. People generally lived til their 60s if they survived to adulthood.

Also, learning how to do all of those things in your local area isn't that hard to do especially if that's all you ever really have to learn.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rivdrqZw2W1qigfjt.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rgtl2rdk5g1w5pr9j.mp4

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Pretty sure this guy needs a red oversize load flag for his penis.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

This scrolled into view halfway and for a second I thought they were cleaning out extremely old and dirty air filters

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1574822770764046338

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

why. Just why

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Was he trying to drill a hole into the gas tank to drain it? He deserved exactly what happened.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gotta get the fire out of the car somehow.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trying to drill a hole in the gas tank but accidentally hit the fire tank

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Imma do a crime get me on camera

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is the person who drives away the truck wearing a shirt or topless?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

OSHA? More like OSHIT.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Antigravitas posted:

The forces involved in pretty much anything nautic turn the "finding out" phase of loving around generally into something you experience only once in your life. ...going over board from any large ship being a death sentence...

I want to know more about this one. What precludes you from being rescued? Is the ship so big that nobody notices when you go overboard, or are you gonna get chewed up by the big props?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

that poor bastard

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Welp, that's his skin now. Time to put on a mask and taunt Batman about your crime spree

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
He's lucky the explosion didn't blow him into a pillow factory

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mister Speaker posted:

Is the ship so big that nobody notices when you go overboard, or are you gonna get chewed up by the big props?

It's that first one. Even if you're wearing bright day-glo colors and they sea you go over the sea is large and has waves and a single person at sea is very difficult to spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ4ddAgykfk

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Phanatic posted:

they sea you go over
I sea what you did there

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Conscious and breathing for now, but almost certainly not very much longer....

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

DandyLion posted:

Conscious and breathing for now, but almost certainly not very much longer....

Yeah I was going to say that is not survivable...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
and they filmed it so like someone knew what was about to happen.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a methylmercury silane, and what possible reason you would have to make it, other than 'because it won me the bet'.
I'll bet you could get some fascinating (for certain definitions of fascinating) high-impulse tripropellant rockets with metyhlmercury, silane, and highly saturated amino acids.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

It's that first one. Even if you're wearing bright day-glo colors and they sea you go over the sea is large and has waves and a single person at sea is very difficult to spot.

Also if you fall off a large ship you may be falling quite a long way.
And depending on the region your survival time in the water without a drysuit may be measured in minutes.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phanatic posted:

lake superior is also large and has waves, don't take the lake for granted

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Another great alphastructural post

https://images-ext-2.discordapp.net/external/JibFRUckadwCAkXLxFpmIuhlzsb24YZnMpZB52ieI1E/https/i.imgur.com/VnkWhZB.mp4

I mean it's a bad post but you get it

Here are the rest
Things seen this week during structural assessments! https://imgur.com/gallery/lGst442

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

By popular demand posted:

Oh it's a buoy, I mistook it for a concrete block.

Oh buoy, oh buoy, oh buoy!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/803465486053670982/1023243845934260234/803b984b0f51de2f1f0616a28930c23d_22.9.2022_33-48-401.mp4

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009

For anyone who deosnt know hes trolling, hes the person who has done some wierd things to his pianos, like tuning all keys top the same note, replacing the normal hammers with actual hammers and tuning forks, putting the strings in water to mute them, etc.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

TjyvTompa posted:

There are many of these kind of videos on youtube where they make everything from car batteries to gearboxes but this is easily the most insane one I've seen so far. This has nothing to do with "3rd world ingenuity" etc. they just do everything as cheap as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6v2DwEPVWU

I am not a metallurgist, but I take it that this is not rebar you would really want to use, due to the cheap methods used to manufacture it? I can't imagine that this is pure iron.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Toupee Groupie posted:

I am not a metallurgist, but I take it that this is not rebar you would really want to use, due to the cheap methods used to manufacture it? I can't imagine that this is pure iron.

At the end they put labels on them that say "G-40-60", which I believe means they tested the tensile strength yield to be between Grade 40ksi and 60ksi. I think if they mix all of it in a big enough vat and use a testing machine to yank on bars of the finished product they should be able to get in that range enough. But I'm not a pro either, just a guess. To slap them into rebar in whatever county they're in is probably "good enough", it's not like they're claiming aerospace grade or something.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

I want to know more about this one. What precludes you from being rescued? Is the ship so big that nobody notices when you go overboard, or are you gonna get chewed up by the big props?
Three things:

1: It is an extremely long drop into the water. You are definitely going to be at least injured when you hit.

2: A large ship isn't able to stop and simply go back to get you. Once you're in the water you are going to be left behind simply because a ship has that much momentum.

3: Even if they do manage to come around, it'll be almost impossible to spot a person in the water especially since it'll take a while to get there.

Basically: If you fall off a large ship, you are probably going to die very quickly and help is going to get there very slowly, if at all. My advice is to not get on big ships and stay on land.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zero VGS posted:

At the end they put labels on them that say "G-40-60", which I believe means they tested the tensile strength yield to be between Grade 40ksi and 60ksi. I think if they mix all of it in a big enough vat and use a testing machine to yank on bars of the finished product they should be able to get in that range enough. But I'm not a pro either, just a guess. To slap them into rebar in whatever county they're in is probably "good enough", it's not like they're claiming aerospace grade or something.

Alternatively they slapped the labels on them because the customer wants to buy rebar with that label, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual strength of the bar.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

urzaserra256 posted:

For anyone who deosnt know hes trolling, hes the person who has done some wierd things to his pianos, like tuning all keys top the same note, replacing the normal hammers with actual hammers and tuning forks, putting the strings in water to mute them, etc.

That is the one where he replaced the normal hammers with actual hammers though, right? Because that's actual hammers not normal hammers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jabor posted:

Alternatively they slapped the labels on them because the customer wants to buy rebar with that label, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual strength of the bar.

Many suppliers on AliBaba helpfully say on their product page that the product you are buying -- steel, electronics, playground equipment -- can be stamped with any certification label you request.

"Wow, you can meet any certification standard?"
"That's not what we said."