Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm ready to talk regular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Tane

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Was something awful behind Marble Hornets, or was Slenderman already a cultural phenomenon at that point?

e: Also anyone who was around at that time and active, what is it like now to see the birth of a cryptid?

e2L Did the memes spread from SA mostly, or did a few people do most of the work or...?

It's just weird thinking a thread on somethingawful "invented" like the equivalent of big foot, or the boogeyman or w/e, I actually have a million questions about it, but I might have asked them before.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 28, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my memory of the slenderman post is a bunch of people virtually pissing their pants over how terrifying the picture was until finally someone said something like "ah, yes, the goon's greatest fear: a slim person in a suit"

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Slenderman is real. He was around in germany in king arthur times I think. Anyone who sees him get's slender sickness.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Also see:

Checks notes
Cool and good

you do not, in fact gotta (checks notes) hand it to the cool and good calm hitlers kramering in having a normal one. just beyond the pale, do the needful. Sad!

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

stop talking about the slender man!!!!!! you guys are freaking me out :stonk:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Boba Pearl posted:

Was something awful behind Marble Hornets, or was Slenderman already a cultural phenomenon at that point?

Born from the same mythos. It was just a live-action version of what Slenderman was trying to do with some lovecraft thrown in for good measure on the VERY lowest of budgets. It got boring very quickly.

quote:

e: Also anyone who was around at that time and active, what is it like now to see the birth of a cryptid?

Honestly? Pretty dumb. Slenderman originated in some creepy photoshop thread and spun off from there. No one here believed it was real but it migrated over to the chans/facebook/whatever and became a self-created urban legend. I wonder what the original photoshop creator thinks about what became of it.

quote:

e2L Did the memes spread from SA mostly, or did a few people do most of the work or...?

100% originated here and spread outward. Back then 4chan/digg(?)/facebook etc shared a lot of content without explicitly acknowledging where it came from. From SA it spun into "spooky" 4chan forums etc and that's who really ran with it. SA photoshopping was pretty solid back in the day (and still is sometimes) so the pictures all looked pretty good. No idea who took it and said "hey let's turn this into a bonafide urban legend" but someone definitely did and I doubt it was anyone here.

quote:

It's just weird thinking a thread on somethingawful "invented" like the equivalent of big foot, or the boogeyman or w/e, I actually have a million questions about it, but I might have asked them before.

Coca Cola invented the modern incarnation of Santa Claus. I think the only difference is that we got to see it actually happen rather than just living in the aftermath.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Boba Pearl posted:

at the time i was annoyed because the spooky photoshop thread basically became the slender man thread overnight.

it is really funny now to see people being scared and legitimately thinking a photoshop might kill them ooOOoOo~~

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Empty Sandwich posted:

my memory of the slenderman post is a bunch of people virtually pissing their pants over how terrifying the picture was until finally someone said something like "ah, yes, the goon's greatest fear: a slim person in a suit"

it wasn’t even a picture it was some dudes short story that was alright I guess in a thread where u wrote short stories, then tons of posters started posting photoshops and writing their own short stories because creativity is hard, and here we are in a dystopia and I forgot my coffee cup on the counter so it is cold now

e: oh maybe the first story accompanied a photoshop then, I apologize for misremembering

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Lady Radia posted:

it wasn’t even a picture it was some dudes short story that was alright I guess in a thread where u wrote short stories, then tons of posters started posting photoshops and writing their own short stories because creativity is hard, and here we are in a dystopia and I forgot my coffee cup on the counter so it is cold now

You sure about that? I was pretty sure the original picture came from an "unexpectedly creepy images" photoshop thread where it was a bunch of kids playing on a playground with mr. noodle arms lounging around in the background.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

gently caress teh ocean!!!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Frank Frank posted:

You sure about that? I was pretty sure the original picture came from an "unexpectedly creepy images" photoshop thread where it was a bunch of kids playing on a playground with mr. noodle arms lounging around in the background.

no, I’m not now. I remember every derivation taking over the thread and some pretty cringe short stories, so maybe the latter just took over my brain

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I will always believe Neil Cicierega got banned from here for making his Splendorman video lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im going to bring back gently caress the ocean in 2023

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Slenderman thread is here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Lady Radia posted:

no, I’m not now. I remember every derivation taking over the thread and some pretty cringe short stories, so maybe the latter just took over my brain

Really sucks that it wasn't saved for posterity - maybe it was, I dunno. Feels like it should have been seeing as it inspired a bunch of really lame stories, a terrible movie and a murder or two. I'm pretty sure the lame stories came after the original PS thread because goons started obsessing as goons do.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
slenderman began as a creepy image thread yes. he was a man who was slightly longer than he ought to have been.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I mean I remember a story in summer camp about how slenderman hid in someone's car, and like the attendant tried to tell the victim, but they freaked out and sped off, and oh no boogieman.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Frank Frank posted:

Yeah it started in the "create paranormal images" thread which might be goldmined. Marble Hornets started maybe a month after the first image was posted. Two of the three guys involved were goons. It was popular enough that it inspired others to take a shot at the Slenderman web horror genre. I remember Everyman Hybrid but I can't remember what any of the others were called. Most of them were not good.

Also around the same time, people started making blogs about being stalked by Slenderman. A lot of them used the same visual language Marble Hornets did, i.e. black marker scrawled pictures of a tall man, some trees, always trees, trees were a big thing.

I was around when it happened and followed it semi-closely. It was extremely weird to see this fairly minor internet thing take off into the mainstream.

fake e:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Noice

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

the slender man creator did have some stuff written with his photoshops, they were only a few blurbs and not a short story. i think that’s really what caught peoples attention because it was like “the only photo taken before the mass child kidnapping of 1954” or something like that and then people started writing the short stories about it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Boba Pearl posted:

I mean I remember a story in summer camp about how slenderman hid in someone's car, and like the attendant tried to tell the victim, but they freaked out and sped off, and oh no boogieman.

this is literally a snopes crime FWD FWD FWD email lol just with “minority” in place of “slender man”

marble hornets was good when it was just an analog horror series for the first ten eps

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Lady Radia posted:

this is literally a snopes crime FWD FWD FWD email lol just with “minority” in place of “slender man”

marble hornets was good when it was just an analog horror series for the first ten eps

I'm really glad they made the story less racist then lmao.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Splash Attack posted:

the slender man creator did have some stuff written with his photoshops, they were only a few blurbs and not a short story. i think that’s really what caught peoples attention because it was like “the only photo taken before the mass child kidnapping of 1954” or something like that and then people started writing the short stories about it.

Yeah people were adding to the "lore". The association with trees, the memetic aspect, the pied piper tie-in... Victor Surge created the original images but really the Slenderman thing was a group effort of the people in that thread. And also the Marble Hornets guys, who created the "sickness" aspect of the haunting/stalking, as well as the tape distortion when Slenderman is around, and the "person haunted by Slenderman goes nuts and draws a bunch of weird images" trope which is a more generic horror staple, I guess.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The original post is here btw:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post361861415

These were the pictures:

It's pretty funny given this was the next post in the thread:

slidebite posted:

You just know a couple of the good ones are going to eventually make it to paranormal websites and be used as genuine.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Frank Frank posted:

Coca Cola invented the modern incarnation of Santa Claus. I think the only difference is that we got to see it actually happen rather than just living in the aftermath.
No they didn't.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Pepsi Man

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Nuns with Guns posted:

Pretty sure that means you've both been put on the mod sleeper agent list, actually.

They say my code phrase and I start corralling posters like a god damned buckaroo

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ulvir posted:

you do not, in fact gotta (checks notes) hand it to the cool and good calm hitlers kramering in having a normal one. just beyond the pale, do the needful. Sad!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Literally A Person posted:

They say my code phrase and I start corralling posters like a god damned buckaroo

You're going to be activated to go on a midnight banning spree over some embarrassing mod drama. Like when with nyc_tattoo emerged from his glacier in Antarctica to stomp down on random people laughing at Party Plane Jone's deep cover nazi discord operation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nuns with Guns posted:

You're going to be activated to go on a midnight banning spree over some embarrassing mod drama. Like when with nyc_tattoo emerged from his glacier in Antarctica to stomp down on random people laughing at Party Plane Jone's deep cover nazi discord operation.

What were the specifics around PPJs saga? I'm assuming they have been mentioned at some point in the thread, so if anyone has a link I can just go read it myself it. Were there screenshots or something? Were they saying Nazi things to try and infiltrate it? How/why did they need to infiltrate a Nazi discord?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

genuinely gettin sad thinking about a future where ligma's played out

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ulvir posted:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What were the specifics around PPJs saga? I'm assuming they have been mentioned at some point in the thread, so if anyone has a link I can just go read it myself it. Were there screenshots or something? Were they saying Nazi things to try and infiltrate it? How/why did they need to infiltrate a Nazi discord?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909720

followed by

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909802

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ulvir posted:

Thanks, i hate it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

ulvir posted:

lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When tracking nazis the hardest part is not to start tracking yourself.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

kramering really is one of the dumbest forums words. do not like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"I was a deep cover agent infiltrating the Nazi hive using my known forum identity, linked to my real SA account" still cracks me up. It's like if Bond gave Blofeld a scan of his passport and driver's license and let him make an announcement over the PA before sneaking into the volcano base.