Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Not sure what’s going on but this thread has a bunch of YouTube embeds and it fails to load for me. But then it kinda renders and then automatically refreshes again and starts the whole thing over.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433957&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1417

Loads eventually for me (6s) but chugs like a motherfucker and i get to watch my battery drain in real time. While it's plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey I have an issue where I deleted some PMs on PC but they are still present in the app. Any way to get rid of them?

I have a personal and embarrassing message sent to me by mistake, I’d like to get rid of it for the other person’s sake.

The ending sentence “no one else ever has to know” is very very funny tho :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey I have an issue where I deleted some PMs on PC but they are still present in the app. Any way to get rid of them?

I have a personal and embarrassing message sent to me by mistake, I’d like to get rid of it for the other person’s sake.

The ending sentence “no one else ever has to know” is very very funny tho :v:

Hmm, weird. Can you post a screenshot?

More seriously, log out and back in or hit the “empty cache” button in the settings pane (which will log you out).

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

mawarannahr posted:

Could it be possible to update the auto-bracket-closing button in the posting screen so that it only applies to tags in an allowlist? Right now it seems to just go [/this] with whatever came in [brackets] before it. This pops up most often with editorial inserts when pasting articles and things like Wikipedia citations, so it ends up like [/3] and stuff.

sorry if this has been asked already.

Seconding this, if only for the fact that the weirds at archive.org put square brackets in their URLs and pasting a link to anything that's filtered is an exercise in fucks sake fine I'll TinyURL it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I added that I wasn’t sure if new bbcode ever got added so I was overly conservative. I’m gonna buy a Mac mini or something soon so I can get back to hacking on apps, so I’ll add the list of tags then if nobody beats me to it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This may have been answered already, but how does one turn off auto-parsing URLs in the app? If someone wants to spoil a twitter link and prevent auto embed, they have to turn off the autoparsing otherwise it will still display. As far as I can find, there isn’t an easy option anywhere to disable it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OLED Dark, the Settings panel non-control text is nigh unreadable.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Not happening on 6.1, might be a regression + iOS 16?

e: nvm, it happens on 6.1 when using OLED Dark but iOS is otherwise in light mode for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

Not happening on 6.1, might be a regression + iOS 16?

e: nvm, it happens on 6.1 when using OLED Dark but iOS is otherwise in light mode for me.

Ah yeah, forgot to mention that.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
request: custom plat icons support (but NOT those two-word phrase donation badges because no one wants that)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a way to turn off that Allow/Don't Allow image paste prompt Awful app is doing, now that ios16 came out?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Mister Facetious posted:

Is there a way to turn off that Allow/Don't Allow image paste prompt Awful app is doing, now that ios16 came out?

plz

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Awful settings > check clipboard for URL (off$)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I WANT it to prompt for SA URLs. I paste images in a bunch of other apps though. SA, not so much.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Hey I’m loving this app and have used it for a couple year now, since I switched to iPhone.
Just ran into a thread that doesn’t work. I suspect there’s some problem with the huge number of YouTube embeds but I really don’t know for sure.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902122&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1

Several of the pages of that thread will load for a bit, show a few posts, then reload, and repeat ad infinitum.

iPhone 11 on IOS 15.7. Model MWLT2QN/A. Awful 6.1

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 17, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hey I’m loving this app and have used it for a couple year now, since I switched to iPhone.
Just ran into a thread that doesn’t work. I suspect there’s some problem with the huge number of YouTube embeds but I really don’t know for sure.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902122&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1

Several of the pages of that thread will load for a bit, show a few posts, then reload, and repeat ad infinitum.

iPhone 11 on IOS 15.7. Model MWLT2QN/A. Awful 6.1

Is that thread full of YouTube links? That’s probably why.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Maybe once all the work around the theme is settled and I have the time to jump back in, we could revisit the idea of purging all settings on logout, even when it’s due to the cookie expiring. Not a massive deal but very counterintuitive.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Is that thread full of YouTube links? That’s probably why.

Yes, it is. Links as well as embeds.

Is there a particular reason that it wouldn't work in the app? Should I expect that thread to stay broken?

What's the workaround - should I disable youtube embeds?

Relatedly, I've noticed that Something Awful is an interesting workaround for "youtube app pauses playback when I lock screen on my phone" - if using the Awful app! Something (IOS?) lets me pop out running videos to a PiP thing, and that can be swiped off-screen to the right to keep it playing even when locking the screen. Awesome! (Yeah, it probably works for lots of other apps but just let me be happy about SA here for a minute.)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 19, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yes, it is. Links as well as embeds.

Is there a particular reason that it wouldn't work in the app? Should I expect that thread to stay broken?

What's the workaround - should I disable youtube embeds?

Relatedly, I've noticed that Something Awful is an interesting workaround for "youtube app pauses playback when I lock screen on my phone" - if using the Awful app! Something (IOS?) lets me pop out running videos to a PiP thing, and that can be swiped off-screen to the right to keep it playing even when locking the screen. Awesome! (Yeah, it probably works for lots of other apps but just let me be happy about SA here for a minute.)

Each embed has to load before the page renders (I think? I’m not a dev), so that would be the delay. YouTube embeds take a while to load, especially over cellular where the carriers throttle YouTube speed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the embed load async, but whatever they do really seems to beat the poo poo out of the webview’s UI thread, and I wouldn’t be surprised if having two dozen of them caused it to reach “kill me, save yourselves” levels of memory use.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Each embed has to load before the page renders (I think? I’m not a dev), so that would be the delay. YouTube embeds take a while to load, especially over cellular where the carriers throttle YouTube speed.

It’s not the delay, it the dying and reloading, as Subjunctive correctly inferred. But then I guess it’s pretty hopeless to get this to work on iPhone?

Sounds like the dream scenario would be a “dynamic” renderer which stops following YouTube links and embeds when a thread starts to run big on memory.

I’m a software dev, but I’m not into the Apple ecosystem at all so I guess it’s not that easy to just dive in and give it a shot.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 19, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I get this every time, and I don’t want it:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
so turn it off

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That switch doesn’t affect this, I was just jumping on the paste comment.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ios16, Awful 6.1. In the PM list, the sender's name of the topmost PM of the view does not display. When a new message comes in, it has the problem and the now second-from-top message displays the sender properly. All other messages display the sender correctly.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

That switch doesn’t affect this, I was just jumping on the paste comment.

That is the function of the switch, and it works for me.

Try toggling it on and off. If not, delete the app and reinstall it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Apple acknowledged that at least some instances of that paste prompt are a bug that will be fixed in an iOS patch, fyi

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

carry on then posted:

Apple acknowledged that at least some instances of that paste prompt are a bug that will be fixed in an iOS patch, fyi

good god thank you

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Very "BYOBB" "What's that extra B for?" "That's a typo" energy

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Just got logged out and when I logged back in all my settings were reset: text scaling, custom forum themes, etc.

Awful 6.1
iPad OS 15.6.1
6th gen iPad mini

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Is there some way a future version of the app could hook into some api to integrate the official smiley aliases in a more native emoji-keyboard-based interface?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Chasiubao posted:

Just got logged out and when I logged back in all my settings were reset: text scaling, custom forum themes, etc.

Awful 6.1
iPad OS 15.6.1
6th gen iPad mini

your login cookie expired, i think it happens once a year from your last actual login in the app. this is set by SA.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

`Nemesis posted:

your login cookie expired, i think it happens once a year from your last actual login in the app. this is set by SA.

I wonder what the security benefit of that is, honestly. Maybe asking Astral to remove the expiry (or make it shorter, but refreshed on every request) is easier than making settings save outside of login session in Awful.

(Still waiting on M2 minis, come on Tim Apple.)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'm very curious about the motivation for having app settings rely on the cookie to begin with. :psyduck:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Logout purges the cache, which is everything. If you log out it has no data kept that was related to your login.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Even outside of cookie expiration I think it would be worthwhile to decouple the actions. Have a button to clear all user data and force a logout sure, but otherwise only dump the settings/data when logging in as a new user. Something like that, it’s been awhile since I’ve been in the code.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

astral posted:

I'm very curious about the motivation for having app settings rely on the cookie to begin with. :psyduck:

Something Awful Oauth API when astral? :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m having that paste pop up issue also. Tried toggling the switch

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, iOS had an incremental update that was apparently going to address this and didn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

Is there some way a future version of the app could hook into some api to integrate the official smiley aliases in a more native emoji-keyboard-based interface?

:pray: