Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

XkyRauh posted:

Night in the Woods was a fantastic game! I thought there was another game in the works by the same team, but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time.

It's still going, they just haven't shown anything yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

repiv posted:

It's still going, they just haven't shown anything yet

Do we even have a name for it yet?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Day in the City

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Larryb posted:

Do we even have a name for it yet?

nope, all we know is who's working on it

i forgot they showed one piece of media but it doesn't tell us much

https://twitter.com/theglorysociety/status/1272529409111621634

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, NITW is definitely not that weird a game to be affected by, especially if you grew up in the Rust Belt which means it's sort of about you. I was thinking it'd be like. Assassins Creed or Overwatch, something so focus tested and touched by so many hands as to lose any real meaning.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
When D.Va says "nerf this" I cry everytiem

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the "hole in the center of everything" monologue is still in my top five best examples of game writing

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

the "hole in the center of everything" monologue is still in my top five best examples of game writing

"I get it. This won't stop until I die. But when I die, I want it to hurt. When my friends leave, when I have to let go, when this entire town is wiped off the map, I want it to hurt. Bad. I want to lose. I want to get beaten up. I want to hold on until I'm thrown off and everything ends. And you know what? Until that happens, I want to hope again. And I want it to hurt. Because that means it meant something. It means I am something, at least... pretty amazing to be something, at least..."

And also:

"I know it won't save me in the end, but I don't need it to save me forever. I just need it to save me now."

Are lines I relate to and think about a lot.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Alxprit posted:

As much as this game's writing sucks I don't exactly love the color commentary either. Feels very cinemasins-y of nitpicking every last little flaw.
Yeah, that thread is kinda one of the tail ends of the strong anti-furry bias prevalent in 2010s SA, and it gets somewhat egregious at points (though it must be said that that particular game is certainly not a positive example of furry art).

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Stop I can only cry over those moments so many times

Hearing talk about this game outside of my own head is very new to me it's like handing people a very expensive baby vase and praying they don't drop it. But I know duh, it's not 'mine' to 'give' anyone. God, it's been so long since i've really thought about the game, it feels like it'd be emotionally exhausting thinking about it again. I love these characters too much. I also only played through the game once regrettably, so I haven't even seen everything i'm sure.

I had no idea they were actually doing something else soon, i'm optimistically dreading it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I get it, even if the game isn't "yours" it can still make you feel pretty vulnerable and raw when you talk about something that really touched you emotionally.

I've been wanting to replay Night in The Woods again for a long while (I've played it though twice and now I have an idea of what the "perfect" playthrough route for me personally would be), but I haven't had time and it's looking like I'll continue to not have time in the coming months, which is a shame because October feels like the perfect time to experience it again....

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Yeah! You get it. I'm still getting used to other people getting it. I'm still learning a lot of things.

This WOULD be the perfect time to replay it, heck I would since I haven't seen the entire game anyway but I can't do it. I get too sad and nostalgic. If I have Mae sit on the bridge at the edge of town to just enjoy the surrounding nature or watch Mae's grandpa lovingly watch over her as she sleeps in the church I WILL have another breakdown. Bea breaks my loving heart, needless to say ruining their dinner plans was hilarious but destroyed me inside, because i'm the autistic loving idiot that thinks chicken and mac n' cheese is a dinner, excuse the hell out of ME for being broken GAME.

I have this shot that resonates with me and I never know what to do with it but it feels appropriate here.

I end up asking myself this a whole lot too, the more I try to enjoy things.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neuronyx posted:

Yeah! You get it. I'm still getting used to other people getting it. I'm still learning a lot of things.

This WOULD be the perfect time to replay it, heck I would since I haven't seen the entire game anyway but I can't do it. I get too sad and nostalgic. If I have Mae sit on the bridge at the edge of town to just enjoy the surrounding nature or watch Mae's grandpa lovingly watch over her as she sleeps in the church I WILL have another breakdown. Bea breaks my loving heart, needless to say ruining their dinner plans was hilarious but destroyed me inside, because i'm the autistic loving idiot that thinks chicken and mac n' cheese is a dinner, excuse the hell out of ME for being broken GAME.

I have this shot that resonates with me and I never know what to do with it but it feels appropriate here.

I end up asking myself this a whole lot too, the more I try to enjoy things.

Confession time: the grocery shopping segment made me feel so anxious that I had to look up a guide to make sure I picked the right things and I'm glad I did because I would not have been able to figure out how to do it on my own. And I make meals for myself in real life all the time! You were right by the way: Macaroni and cheese and chicken go good together and that's one of the combinations you can do to make a good dinner! But only if you also get cream of chicken soup, biscuits, and no shakey bake. It's not intuitive at all and there's no way of knowing that without a guide, which makes sense because we're playing as Mae who doesn't cook and thus also wouldn't know this stuff.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm going back to /chair/ again because there's another thing about the page that could be an intentional thematic link to Undertale, if not necessarily a definitive link of the narratives. Namely, the sound effect that plays when you click the chair - it's a regular background sound that plays throughout Waterfall in lieu of a song (e.g. the trash heap). Now, this can easily just be a stock noise Toby felt was appropriate for the moment, and the next bit is just coincidence, however: one of the places it's used is at the end of Waterfall, in the passage with the echo flowers and the prophecy on the wall about the Angel returning and the underground going empty. In this room, if you double back at the end, you can catch Flowey leaving and find that the echo flower he was next to has its message changed (it's different depending on route). Both of the regular route ones might be relevant here:

Toriel alive posted:

Toriel voice: *Where oh where could that child be...?
*I've been looking all over for them...

Flowey voice: *Hee hee hee.
*THAT'S not true.
*She'll find another kid, and instantly forget about you.
*You'll NEVER see her again."

Toriel dead posted:

Toriel voice: *Where am I...?
*It's so cold here...
*And so dark...
*Somebody help me...
*Anybody... please...
*Help me...

Flowey voice: *...
*But nobody came.
And that's all perfectly in context for Undertale, but with this Sweepstakes event, we did get

/the_n3w3st_g1rl_g1rl/ posted:

And Susie kept talking.

"One day, your mom's gonna get sick of you, you little freak. And as soon as that happens..."

Susie laughed. I felt genuinely sick.

"Someone might make you disappear. And she'll finally realize how happy she was without you."
And, well, something that was datamined back when Chapter 2 came out:

Chatper 2 Unused Text...? posted:

Where...
Where am I?
Hello...? Anyone...?
Is... is anybody out there...?
Someone!? Anyone!? Can anyone hear me!?
It's dark.
It's so dark here.
Someone, anyone, if you can hear me...
Say something... please...

No one can hear me, can they...?
I guess not.
To be honest, I'm not even sure if I can hear myself.
It's so quiet here...
... and yet, sometimes,
I swear I hear something...
Something like... scratching?
along with even more references to Dess being missing...I just kind of get the feeling that there's some themes being worked with, here, is all. Can't forget about Goner Kid, either, with the explicit fear of a world that's the same except for you not existing in it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
This isn't related to the point you're making, but it's interesting you've paralleled stuff Flowey has said with stuff Susie has said, given that two songs associated with Susie, more specifically the two songs associated with the Susie vs Lancer sequence (Imminent Death and Vs. Susie) quote the Leitmotif originating from Your Best Nightmare.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Confession time: the grocery shopping segment made me feel so anxious that I had to look up a guide to make sure I picked the right things and I'm glad I did because I would not have been able to figure out how to do it on my own. And I make meals for myself in real life all the time! You were right by the way: Macaroni and cheese and chicken go good together and that's one of the combinations you can do to make a good dinner! But only if you also get cream of chicken soup, biscuits, and no shakey bake. It's not intuitive at all and there's no way of knowing that without a guide, which makes sense because we're playing as Mae who doesn't cook and thus also wouldn't know this stuff.

... cream of chicken, NO shakey bake? Is it supposed to be boxed or baked? I would think something like shake n'bake would be used for baked mac n'cheese. All these years I thought it meant the boxed stuff though but that is because I eat like a racoon.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Hogama posted:

I'm going back to /chair/ again because there's another thing about the page that could be an intentional thematic link to Undertale, if not necessarily a definitive link of the narratives. Namely, the sound effect that plays when you click the chair - it's a regular background sound that plays throughout Waterfall in lieu of a song (e.g. the trash heap). Now, this can easily just be a stock noise Toby felt was appropriate for the moment, and the next bit is just coincidence, however: one of the places it's used is at the end of Waterfall, in the passage with the echo flowers and the prophecy on the wall about the Angel returning and the underground going empty. In this room, if you double back at the end, you can catch Flowey leaving and find that the echo flower he was next to has its message changed (it's different depending on route). Both of the regular route ones might be relevant here:

And that's all perfectly in context for Undertale, but with this Sweepstakes event, we did get

along with even more references to Dess being missing...I just kind of get the feeling that there's some themes being worked with, here, is all. Can't forget about Goner Kid, either, with the explicit fear of a world that's the same except for you not existing in it.

Definitely some connections I hadn't put together yet myself, fascinating!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Bogart posted:

Yeah, NITW is definitely not that weird a game to be affected by, especially if you grew up in the Rust Belt which means it's sort of about you. I was thinking it'd be like. Assassins Creed or Overwatch, something so focus tested and touched by so many hands as to lose any real meaning.

As a kid from small town Kansas who has lived through 'small town polite' and watched friends either escape or end up stuck there, it never fails to hit me how well they nailed that feeling.

Oxxidation posted:

Dawn Bennett (Lilac from Freedom Planet, Caulifla from Dragonball) did an excellent read of it:

https://twitter.com/DawnMBennettVA/status/1572829857847058432?t=pRdtSPKsxf2fXlcVBYT4sQ&s=19

As for 'embarrassing' games, eh. Who cares? They're just games, and the worst you can get is someone online judging you.

Also highly recommend Wandersong, that game is the most charming thing ever. Coffee Pirates for Life!

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 29, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neuronyx posted:

... cream of chicken, NO shakey bake? Is it supposed to be boxed or baked? I would think something like shake n'bake would be used for baked mac n'cheese. All these years I thought it meant the boxed stuff though but that is because I eat like a racoon.

I have no idea, like I said it's not very intuitive. I'm pretty sure that sequence is kind of designed for you to fail because that's what Mae would mostly likely do so don't take it to personally. Boxed food is fine, it's just that Mae sucks at cooking so bad she'll find some way to gently caress it up unless you give her very specific things.

To bring it back around to Deltarune, I like how both Deltarune and Night in the Woods let you make major choices for the protagonist while still having the protagonist clearly have a distinct and separate personality outside of the players control.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hogama posted:

the unused text stuff always gets me, because like. back in undertale, the datamining stuff was just funny. a note not to just post big rips, or the bepis text, that sorta thing. gaster's weird, but he's mostly in-game content, even if just obscure and hidden behind numbers

deltarune 1 and 2's stuff is like that, though -- and that script was in chapter 1, too, and chapter 2 adds the new text -- and it's this existential dread horror poo poo.

there's plenty of what looks like genuine left over stuff in both games, but putting nothing but a story in a script literally titled "UNUSED" feels a bit on-the-nose

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The entirety of chapter seven will take place in the code. Getting a happy ending will require you to learn basic coding.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 29, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

Dawn Bennett (Lilac from Freedom Planet, Caulifla from Dragonball) did an excellent read of it:

I was talking about the Sky Cat’s monologue. Mae’s response in that tweet doesn’t do much for me, I’m generally not impressed by myth of Sisyphus/amor fati material

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

To bring it back around to Deltarune, I like how both Deltarune and Night in the Woods let you make major choices for the protagonist while still having the protagonist clearly have a distinct and separate personality outside of the players control.

Yes, that is probably one of my favorite things.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The entirety of chapter seven will take place in the code. Getting a happy ending will require you to learn basic coding.

Please no, I can barely make it beyond the Zachtronics tutorial levels.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Chapter 7 is just a bunch of art assets and a cracked copy of Game Maker

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Post music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srZdDAJbHfc&t=7042s

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwcbxMZLphM

Terper posted:

Post music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsYpjoaslOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H06pknCIyHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_llD4oopI3I

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKcO_s_BqbY

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipluRrCyxlY

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

:five: :sotw: :five:

That's cheating, god drat this one never fails to pull at my heart and make me feel like I actually made it out of the other side of some horrible nightmare, finally seeing the sunrise. And the vocals are so lovely! "Don't forget" or whatever it's called in Deltarune hit me where it hurts too, I know before this is all over there will be another track with vocals that will rend me.

Neuronyx fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 29, 2022

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Neuronyx posted:

That's cheating, god drat this one never fails to pull at my heart and make me feel like I actually made it out of the other side of some horrible nightmare, finally seeing the sunrise. And the vocals are so lovely! "Don't forget" or whatever it's called in Deltarune hit me where it hurts too, I know before this is all over there will be another track with vocals that will rend me.

that poo poo tag teamed with "despite everything, it's still you" to just absolutely break me on my first playthrough

and also my second playthrough, and also I kinda feel like crying just thinking about it too hard

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Lunatic Sledge posted:

that poo poo tag teamed with "despite everything, it's still you" to just absolutely break me on my first playthrough

and also my second playthrough, and also I kinda feel like crying just thinking about it too hard

Once is enough for me, I'm not strong enough to make myself go through that twice.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

That line makes the hallway mirror text in Deltarune hit hard. Kris's perspective bleeds over into so many things that 'It's only you.' and '(It's what they call "you.")' which would have felt neutral in Undertale go right into sad and kind of empty

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Cherish those who care. Are you cherishing? CHERISH HARDER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbKrB8F0wY4

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

zetamind2000 posted:

That line makes the hallway mirror text in Deltarune hit hard. Kris's perspective bleeds over into so many things that 'It's only you.' and '(It's what they call "you.")' which would have felt neutral in Undertale go right into sad and kind of empty

Susie deserves everything, with Kris being a close god drat second because of stuff like this. I will protect these smiles. ... I'll protect this smile and this neutral stare.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
susie is great and deserves all of the love. kris is great and deserves all of the love. ralsei is sus as hell but is equally deserving of love

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
All three of our protags are sus as hell.

Berdly has all his lovely ness right there in the open.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
they all deserve plenty of LOVE :unsmigghh:

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

ikanreed posted:

All three of our protags are sus as hell.

Berdly has all his lovely ness right there in the open.

I find Berdly's lovely-ness endearing somehow. Maybe because he makes me laugh. Like when a smug cat falls off a couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Neuronyx posted:

I find Berdly's lovely-ness endearing somehow. Maybe because he makes me laugh. Like when a smug cat falls off a couch.
Imaging having to deal with him every day.