Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
They'll be able to exchange your Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 for an Intel Battlemage 770 when they start selling Intel graphics cards in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I wonder if Intel's BM is going to be hot, or just a little warm.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

EVGA will exchange your 3080 Ti for a power supply of equal value or performance.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Animal posted:

EVGA will exchange your 3080 Ti for a power supply of equal value or performance.wattage

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

c355n4 posted:

So with the exit of EVGA from the GPU Market. I asked their support about the extended 10 year warranty I got and the possibility of a refund. They replied that they can/will refund it. I got a 3080 back at the end of 2021. Should I keep the warranty? What do you all think?

I keep getting vibes that EVGA will end up like BFG Tech. They did the same thing like EVGA, announced that they are getting out of graphic cards, profits fell and they started to refuse RMAs on products. PNY was nice enough to do the RMAs, but it really looks like the CEO of EVGA wants to get out of business in general. I just don't see anything good happening in the next bit.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

MarcusSA posted:

They said they are keeping stock for RMAs :shrug:

For nine more years?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Extended warranties are a scam, I've never had a GPU fail in any way that wasn't super apparent in the first month.

Refund that poo poo and also lol @ anyone who frequents this thread keeping the same card in use for a decade.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/paulhardware/status/1575599724953890817

Cant believe its actually happening and we will have a third competitior in discrete GPUs for the first time since... uh... XGI in 2003-2004? Maybe VIA/S3's Chrome GPUs actually stayed in market longer than that? Lordy.

I'd bet a fair sum Intel will shitcan their GPU's within the next two or three years or so, regardless of any technical merits. They're gonna be losing a ton of money on this for a while, and sustaining that in order to maybe get a new market going requires strong leadership with a long view. At the same time, a public company that big and that old (that isn't doing too great right now) is going to be completely drowning in an army of people - investors, advisors and the like - yelling FOCUS ON THE CORE BUSINESS over and over and over again, and inside the company a whole bunch of execs and department heads are gonna be doing their best to sabotage the project because that's how corporate politics works. There's a reason big old companies don't tend to expand into new markets.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
lol those intel performance per dollar claims are against average 3060 prices on newegg, not even the cheapest you can get it. probably looks a lot worse against the 6600XT/6650XT and 6600 while likely the only advantage is better raytracing in exchange for driver issues & inconsistent performance

is it the 770 16GB is $349 MSRP and the 8GB is $329? is the 16GB going to be widely available or just limited edition?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

strangehamster posted:

For nine more years?

even if they do somehow have stock for nine more years, and survive that long, in nine years ampere will be as old and busted as kepler is today and a straight 1:1 exchange will be almost worthless

normally with a warrantee over such a long period you'd expect them to eventually start subbing in newer architectures with comparable performance, but EVGA won't have anything past ampere to give

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I have an 8 year old Zotac 970 and it's never had an issue, it's either gonna be broken right away or last as long as you need it to in my experience.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TheFluff posted:

I'd bet a fair sum Intel will shitcan their GPU's within the next two or three years or so, regardless of any technical merits. They're gonna be losing a ton of money on this for a while, and sustaining that in order to maybe get a new market going requires strong leadership with a long view. At the same time, a public company that big and that old (that isn't doing too great right now) is going to be completely drowning in an army of people - investors, advisors and the like - yelling FOCUS ON THE CORE BUSINESS over and over and over again, and inside the company a whole bunch of execs and department heads are gonna be doing their best to sabotage the project because that's how corporate politics works. There's a reason big old companies don't tend to expand into new markets.

Their entire story in the server space is "we are the brand with the accelerators". I also don't see a future for any of the big server platforms that does not involve a GPGPU accelerator block/IP/stand alone part to offer. To me, I hope that alone keeps the doors open on the GPU division, even if the desktop parts are a forever afterthought.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ijyt posted:

Extended warranties are a scam, I've never had a GPU fail in any way that wasn't super apparent in the first month.

honestly gpu failures used to be way more common than they are today, the 2006-2012 period was rife with RoHS solder failures on all brands, the early lead-free solders were super brittle and tended to break or grow tin whiskers pretty bad. They've made big strides on the brittleness (I think they needed higher-temp solders iirc) but satellites and hobbyists etc still usually use good 'ol four-star because the lead-free solders suck to work with and will inevitably (no matter what they've tried) grow tin whiskers in 100% of electronics on a long enough timescale.

Nobody really knows how or why (it's some property of the eutectic mixture, could be mechanical or chemical or electrochemical or some combination) and if you try to stop it (eg conformal coatings) it's insistent enough it'll either push through the coating or tear the trace/board/etc apart physically trying to do it. The only things that stop it are alloys of lead or antimony and that's what RoHS bans - because it becomes a waste problem at a consumer/commercial scale. It loving sucks all around, tbh it's one of those lynchpin developments that would have an insanely high e-waste and environmental impact if you could figure out tin whiskers and solve them.

there were plenty of people baking their AMD GPUs in those days too, like Radeon 7850 and stuff were of the era. Even today you'll have some people who get space invaders after enough years, whether from failing memory module itself or solder (could be either). It still happens.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 30, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

PBCrunch posted:

They'll be able to exchange your Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 for an Intel Battlemage 770 when they start selling Intel graphics cards in a year.

It’s not a bad naming convention to use DND classes for each iteration.

Alchemist
Barbarian
Cleric
Druid
Eldritch Knight
Fighter
G
H
I
Jewel Thief?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Goblin

Half elf

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

honestly gpu failures used to be way more common than they are today, the 2006-2012 period was rife with RoHS solder failures on all brands, the early lead-free solders were super brittle and tended to grow tin whiskers pretty bad. They've made big strides, but satellites and hobbyists etc still usually use good 'ol four-star because the lead-free solders suck to work with and will inevitably (no matter what they've tried) grow tin whiskers in 100% of electronics on a long enough timescale.

Nobody really knows how or why (it's some property of the eutectic mixture, could be mechanical or chemical or electrochemical or some combination) and if you try to stop it (eg conformal coatings) it's insistent enough it'll either push through the coating or tear the trace/board/etc apart physically trying to do it. The only things that stop it are alloys of lead or antimony and that's what RoHS bans - because it becomes a waste problem at a consumer/commercial scale. It loving sucks all around, tbh it's one of those lynchpin developments that would have an insanely high e-waste and environmental impact if you could figure out tin whiskers and solve them.

there were plenty of people baking their AMD GPUs in those days too, like Radeon 7850 and stuff were of the era. Even today you'll have some people who get space invaders after enough years, whether from failing memory module itself or solder (could be either). It still happens.
Excellent post; I had no idea about this phenomenon before tonight.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

jokes posted:

It’s not a bad naming convention to use DND classes for each iteration.

Alchemist
Barbarian
Cleric
Druid
Eldritch Knight
Fighter
G
H
I
Jewel Thief?

Gunslinger
Halberdier
Inquisitor

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

King
Lizardmancer
Mother of Dragons
Nice Guy

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i can't recall the last time i've had a piece of consumer electronics fail on me - probably the RROD on my launch 360?

to be fair, i think people go thru electronics a lot quicker these days

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

i can't recall the last time i've had a piece of consumer electronics fail on me - probably the RROD on my launch 360?

to be fair, i think people go thru electronics a lot quicker these days

Most of my old computer hardware from the last 10-15 years is still functioning at my highschools robotics team’s facility. We even have a core 2 quad machine plucking along with its DDR2 ram.

The kids put our old couple of 1070 in sli after I got our 3080 Ti cards :3:

Power supplies and ram tend to be what die first.

In my experience graphics cards are loving indestructible if left at stock.

If you’re using MSI afterburner with a MSI card and it says something about clicking a button to enable “unsafe things” don’t press that button.

It was really loving cool for the first couple of hours and then it totally murdered my wife’s AMD MSI 4870 GPU lol.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 30, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Paul MaudDib posted:

God, I had a 7850 that I had to bake on two separate occasions. Worked fine for like, a year after each episode.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work a third time.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

jokes posted:

I gotta say I'm extremely interested in Intel's offering so I'm very intrigued to see benchmarks and reviews and stuff.

Not interested enough to buy one, but still.

We've known the drivers were unworkable since the chinese softlaunch.

Reading a bit about people who tried to dual gpu with an intel card for AV1 so far seems to have produced a lot of people wrestling with intel's drivers, OBS not recognizing the card, and plugging the card into pci slot #2 and stealing 8 pcie lanes from their main gpu. Honestly sounds like a pain in the rear end for no gain.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paul MaudDib posted:

the lead-free solders suck to work with and will inevitably (no matter what they've tried) grow tin whiskers in 100% of electronics on a long enough timescale.

FYI, the research I saw at the academic level was that the tin whiskers aren't the result of Pb-free solder, but rather the mating surface and how it was plated, i.e. typically pure tin.

Doping the tin with another compatible metal, or co-plating, seemed to significantly reduce or eliminate the whisker problem.

What was more likely in the 2006-2012 period was that companies did not properly adapt to the use of Pb-free solder and misapplied it, rather than the cause being due to tin whiskers.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

SourKraut posted:

Doping the tin with another compatible metal, or co-plating, seemed to significantly reduce or eliminate the whisker problem.

Maybe one could use lead for such a process

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cantide posted:

Maybe one could use lead for such a process

It is actually one way, though I'm not sure whether RoHS would allow it. Other metals, like antimony, can also be used.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If I were to get a 4090, it would probably be that MSI AIO model. The biggest bummer about it though is the position of the pump in the waterblock like a CPU AIO. I wish they'd do something like what Be Quiet does and put the pump in the tubes. I'd ideally want to put the radiator in the bottom of my current case, but I can't do that if the pump/waterblock is going to be at the top of the loop. I guess the waterblock would be above the pump, but I don't want that being at the top either.

edit: I could probably keep all three of my 140mm front fans in place and put the 240mm waterblock behind them with the 120mm fans attached on the other side. That would be really dumb and pointless though, wouldn't it?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 30, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Paul MaudDib posted:

the lead-free solders suck to work with and will inevitably (no matter what they've tried) grow tin whiskers in 100% of electronics on a long enough timescale.

I... don't think that's quite accurate? As far as I understand it, SourKraut is right in that it's mainly tin-plated surfaces that are susceptible to whiskering. Leaded solder helps mitigate the problem (apparently the lead "poisons" the whiskers) but does not eliminate it entirely. The problem has been known since long before lead-free solder became common. Big blobs of lead-free tin solder generally doesn't grow whiskers; see e.g. this DoD presentation on mitigation strategies:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

for euro goons
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1575770083032530945?s=20&t=jiJZPxUiA0AWtL65VIChvQ

also,

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
did not recall that acer was an intel aib partner. this looks pretty cute

https://twitter.com/PredatorGaming/status/1575787543219650560

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is this their first foray into dGPUs?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

what's going on with that cooler

is that a blower stacked on top of an open-air fin stack

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Those new guns in Cyberpunk are ridiculous.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Picked up a new 3060 Ti for $399. Unthinkable a year ago. Thank you for your service, 1660.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

kliras posted:

This looks cool at least

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kliras posted:

mad-eye moody but it's a graphics card

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

predator bifrost

idris elba's character from thor but he's a registered sex offender

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e: misread

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709%20601408872&PageSize=60&Order=1

More AIB 4090s listed, with prices revealed.

This appears to be a better organized launch than Ampere's launch, which truly was a paper launch that barely had any AIB models ready. I had always assumed that the initial demand wave would overwhelm the launch supply and it'd take a month or so for things to stabilize, but they've reportedly had a couple months to build up a solid inventory of cards so I'm not sure what to think now. Maybe they'll actually stay in stock? I can't imagine there are that many people lining up to buy a $1600 graphics card anyway. Any scalpers who try to scalp this launch are going to get burned for sure. You'll probably see some try to do so anyway, but I doubt they'll actually make any money.
:canada: newegg has a few listed now too but no pricing.

I'm expecting ~$2100ish to start?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Bifrost seems like a bad idea for a discrete graphics card brand name. ARM has already used Bifrost as the name for one of its mobile integrated GPU architectures.

An out-the-case vented blower for the GPU die and an axial fan to cool the power regulation and memory seems like an interesting idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There are also about 50 different crypto things called Bifrost. It's also apparently something in comic book movies.