Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whoa that sounds awesome

I cannot put into words the energy and just insane vibe that was going on. It was incredibly awesome.

e: lol nice page snype GoMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
While this is very cool, ending with "#goners" is maybe not the vibe he wanted.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/sweatycole18/status/1575786269602328576?t=-M7tu5pPFhVwAo3ZbRizLw&s=19

Lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

God drat. The Kings look like a dad league team. That’s to be expected with Vlade and all but still. Wow.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

kensei posted:

I was at this game, it was madness in the best possible way. We drove up from the Portland area to go and stayed late at bars by the Kingdome until traffic lightened up. People were buying rounds for the whole place, it was great.

I was there too! I was 10, so instead of bars we probably went to Kidd Valley or something.

The eruption when Randy K'd the last batter was unreal. :allears:

Gorman Thomas posted:

Ohtani dominated the A's last night and only threw 4 fastballs and 5 splitters lmao. Only allowed 4 batted balls with an EV > 90 mph. Effectively 7 pitches in his arsenal now. The slider and sinker have 19 inches of break in opposite directions, this man doesn't even need to throw the 4 seamer anymore.

Holy poo poo

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
What I remember mostly is that it was stressful as Hell for 6 innings, and then a laugher within two more. Just amazing after Sojo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

STAC Goat posted:

God drat. The Kings look like a dad league team. That’s to be expected with Vlade and all but still. Wow.

I don’t know a ton about basketball but sent that to an NBA fan buddy and he mentioned that WCF between Lakers - Kings is mostly remembered for shady referee calls

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Just got tickets to Mariners WC game 2 on the off chance they host the Jays

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Gorman Thomas posted:

Ohtani dominated the A's last night and only threw 4 fastballs and 5 splitters lmao. Only allowed 4 batted balls with an EV > 90 mph. Effectively 7 pitches in his arsenal now. The slider and sinker have 19 inches of break in opposite directions, this man doesn't even need to throw the 4 seamer anymore.

Four Seam
Sinker
Cutter
Splitter
High slot slider
Mid slot slider
Curveball

Did anyone post this yet https://streamable.com/t23gpq

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mdemone posted:

Jim Devlin of the Louisville Grays in 1876 was the last player to lead his team in PA and IP in the same year.

He threw 622 innings that season (including 66 complete games!) and had almost 300 PA. I don’t know how that’s possible.

However his W/L record was 30-35, lmao
Because overhand pitching and curve balls were illegal at the time. They also had to deliver the ball with a stiff elbow and wrist. Pitchers were basically slow pitch softball pitchers, their job was simply to begin the action so that the batter and fielders could do battle. Batters could request a high or low ball from the pitcher.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 30, 2022

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/FoolishBB/status/1575903603398651904

Legit shocked Turner is here

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Red posted:

Legit shocked Rizzo is here

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Red posted:

I thought I read that he was injured a lot through his career, usually playing hurt, but he was 100% in '61.

Maris played 25 fewer games in 1960 between the expanded schedule and his own injuries, give him 161 games in 1960 and he probably hits 45-50 HR and it's not as huge shock that a career year gets him to 61.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Once he unlocked his power as a Dodger, he became a machine of consistency. This streak is still active for him, despite having a .699 OPS through July 4th this year. It’s been .938 since then.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Once he unlocked his power as a Dodger, he became a machine of consistency. This streak is still active for him, despite having a .699 OPS through July 4th this year. It’s been .938 since then.

Looking him up, I honestly had no idea he was with the Reds or Orioles. I only ever remember him with the Mets and Dodgers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I don’t know a ton about basketball but sent that to an NBA fan buddy and he mentioned that WCF between Lakers - Kings is mostly remembered for shady referee calls

I mostly remember the Kings being on the verge of eliminating the Lakers so the refs went fully into the bag for the Lakers including calling a foul on Bibby for getting elbowed in the face by Kobe

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/WatchMarquee/status/1575945997032751109

Not bad for a 30's scrapheap guy with almost zero stuff.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phillies actually win a game holy poo poo

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Phillies actually win a game holy poo poo

Washington is literally the worst team in baseball

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/EjElite1/status/1575952612012150784

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

lmao i've been picturing this meme for weeks now, it really is perfect for the whole situation

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

:perfect:

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Lmao pretty fuckin much

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Huh Atlanta just announced another $20m deal for Charlie Morton for 2023 with a club option, no buyout, same price for 2024. At the end of a not-fantastic season?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Charlie Morton was ready to retire after his Rays tenure but tough to say no when Atlanta will just keep throwing 20 million dollars at you.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah I do think part of it is that $20m doesn't mean what it did even a year or two ago to Atlanta.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://twitter.com/sweatycole18/status/1575786294982377472

lolling at the idea of becoming a diehard m's fan in 2002. i got my start in the late 80s and didn't have to wait even a decade before they had some success. poor kid

on the topic of watching/listening to games in college, i still remember listening to a game in the dorm room in haggett hall at uw i had just moved into as a freshman in 2002. the m's lost and were either eliminated from contention or were all but eliminated. folks forget, but the 2002 and 2003 teams both won 93 games

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 1, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:haibrow:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think its cool that a gigantic nice man is hitting a lot of home runs this year regardless of who else has hit lots of home runs at other points in history

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just can't help thinking about how many dingers judge would hit if his piss glowed.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

meme no: daydreaming about how many dingers Judge would hit on steroids

meme yes: daydreaming about how many dingers Ohtani would hit on steroids

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Some Numbers posted:

Also, "Sodo Mojo" was a way better catchphrase than "Sea Us Rise"

Better than #DirtyWater that Boston uses at least.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

https://twitter.com/sweatycole18/status/1575786294982377472

lolling at the idea of becoming a diehard m's fan in 2002. i got my start in the late 80s and didn't have to wait even a decade before they had some success. poor kid

on the topic of watching/listening to games in college, i still remember listening to a game in the dorm room in haggett hall at uw i had just moved into as a freshman in 2002. the m's lost and were either eliminated from contention or were all but eliminated. folks forget, but the 2002 and 2003 teams both won 93 games

Tip: Don't look up Jeff Cirillo's twitter

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just can't help thinking about how many dingers judge would hit if his piss glowed.

He probably already takes b vitamins op

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Red posted:

Tip: Don't look up Jeff Cirillo's twitter

not bad in the way i was expecting
e: got to where he's retweeting james woods and kristy swanson, so sort of bad in the way i was expecting

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

How many dingers with the juiced 2019 ball

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

just remembering how absolutely funny the tommy pham/joc pederson fantasy football slapping incident was.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

R.D. Mangles posted:

just remembering how absolutely funny the tommy pham/joc pederson fantasy football slapping incident was.

I just loved how much detail and information we got out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tony Phillips posted:

Somewhere in the Viking Union building at WWU - I think they had it on every TV. Sojo's hit sent the place through the roof.

Edit - The Angels' only run came off a Tony Phillips HR. RIP, namesake buddy.

Sure wish I could say how do you do, but I'm a Kings fan

:shepicide: goms