Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How can you not love Berdly after he embraces the stupid and then declares his love of Suzie in front of Noelle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

How can you not love Berdly after he embraces the stupid and then declares his love of Suzie in front of Noelle?

:hmmyes: Exactly, proof he can still be redeemed.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Gonna have to defrost him first.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I do not trust Ralsei.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Vagabong posted:

I do not trust Ralsei.

Yes but this disgusting yet popular animal will win us so much money

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I trust him. Same as I trust Kris.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I trust Ralsei more than I trust anyone playing the game, Ralsei didn't cause any Snowgrave routes :colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Danaru posted:

I trust Ralsei more than I trust anyone playing the game, Ralsei didn't cause any Snowgrave routes :colbert:

Ralsei not being around directly led to the Snowgrave route, so from where I'm standing he's the one preventing us from enacting the violence we so desperately crave.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Hug the goat.

Puppet the human child into expressing affection for a creature we think reminds them of their brother, and reminds us of BFF Hyperdeath.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Okay but why do the goats all have dog paws instead of hooves anyways

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Okay but why do the goats all have dog paws instead of hooves anyways

they’re based on Mimiga from Cave Story, maybe with a little Luck Dragon tossed in

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They also don't have scary demon eyes, sadly

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the goats would probably have terrible, terrible voices, too, if you think about it

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Toriel but she's more mimiga feels kind of wrong

I like the version of her that has hair and looks more like an alligator, though, alligator goat feels more like a monster thing than just goat

rko
Jul 12, 2017
e: this just makes me want to play cave story, which kicks rear end

Elfface posted:

Hug the goat.

Puppet the human child into expressing affection for a creature we think reminds them of their brother, and reminds us of BFF Hyperdeath.

I realize we all know how hosed up this is conceptually, but it’s so weird to me. Maybe Kris and Ralsei aren’t literally in-universe aware of how weird it is, but it’s loving weird. And that “we think” in there is load-bearing.

Like I’m not sure how one can insist Undertale will have nothing to do with the plot of Deltarune when the game is rubbing it in your face like this. Even in the unlikely event that there’s no direct textual link between the games, it’s very much about how we feel about these characters. And the vibes are powerfully weird!

And imo anyway, Toby Fox is pretty uniquely positioned to understand the intense passion people have for fictional characters, and maybe what that says about our relationships with other people, too. It’s good art, folks.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tracker_TD/status/1576179827501326337

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I feel like we're only a decade away from Toby's studio being bought out by Nintendo at this point

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They'll just hire him on to make Mother 4 once Deltarune is done.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ikanreed posted:

I feel like we're only a decade away from Toby's studio being bought out by Nintendo at this point

This would be tragic

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

They'll just hire him on to make Mother 4 once Deltarune is done.

Amusing you’d think Nintendo would ever touch the Mother series again outside of Smash when they still haven’t even officially released the third game in the west yet (though oddly enough they did release the NES original a while back)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mother 3 will never be officially released in English and you’ll just have to deal with it.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Something about Kris being uncomfortable with Ralsei makes it funny to me when we hug him and stuff, I like to think it's karmic retribution in case he and Ralsei are actually sussy baka boys planning some skeezy poo poo behind our backs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the Yoko->Toby->Sakurai pipeline

really though, this is all a long con for Toby to get the official rights to nintendo characters, and let you end chapter 4 by canonically killing off Yoshi for good.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 1, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm making my way through like 18 pages of thread (I tapped out when all the /chair /code links started popping up) And I have a couple questions

What day is that school project due? Is it the next day or a week from now or what? I'm imagining that's gonna be the final weapon that destroys the Angels at the end of the game when The Roaring is triggered like how the Spare route gets you a giant robot to fight Queen's with.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

ikanreed posted:

It'd probably be like Sakurais current situation where they're "hiring" Tobys Studio but all the dev is being done by other group and Directed by Toby.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tunicate posted:

the Yoko->Toby->Sakurai pipeline

really though, this is all a long con for Toby to get the official rights to nintendo characters, and let you end chapter 4 by canonically killing off Yoshi for good.

You can't spell Kris without IRS.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

What day is that school project due? Is it the next day or a week from now or what?
As I recall, it's for the whole month and they only just assigned partners. It might factor into the story again but I don't think there's been a set due date. Chapter 1 and 2 have each been one day so far, and there's no school the day after Chapter 2 (Alphys will tell you). Chapter 3 seems likely to be fully Dark World so Chapter 4 might only be the third day, still - unless there's some serious time skipping I'm not sure we'll even hit the window it'd be due in. There's also the town festival coming up shortly, and Asriel's due home next week?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Zereth posted:

Imaging having to deal with him every day.

I mean he's probably hard to look at, yes.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zereth posted:

Imaging having to deal with him every day.

He's an annoying and bad person who has become a better person, but is still no less annoying to be around.

So, yes, he's a great character.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/PaulMcIcedTea/status/1576677469750366208

https://twitter.com/shibesky_/status/1576672474174918657

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 3, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx0SkT4qSgg

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Something I've always wondered about Spamton is that everyone pretty quickly came to a consensus that "talking in square brackets" meant "splicing old infomercial audio into regular speech". Is there a lot of prior art for that or did Toby Fox just make such a strong first impression that it seemed obvious?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Glazius posted:

Something I've always wondered about Spamton is that everyone pretty quickly came to a consensus that "talking in square brackets" meant "splicing old infomercial audio into regular speech". Is there a lot of prior art for that or did Toby Fox just make such a strong first impression that it seemed obvious?

Not regular speech, but splicing in clearly different audio is something that has been done a few times as a gag.

First example off the top of my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUy8FjH_qeA

It's pretty clear Toby is doing the same except applying it to text. Don't know where the idea originated from though.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Glazius posted:

It always reminded me of the star control ORZ's mis-translated quotes like

quote:

Just tell me this. Are we in for the same fate as them?
You are not same. You are *happy campers*, but already you know.
I will not talking about *silly Androsynth*, now is stop asking.
If you are say the question another time
it is *frumple* too much and Orz are *dancing* for *dissolving* the *campers*.
I am clear!!
You are not so *silly*!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Glazius posted:

I think it legitimately originates from this animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u14tZbiFMi0

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I liked when you do a charged attack in blaster-soul mode, and Spamton is just so excited to see your Big Shot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glazius posted:

the latter probably, since the bracketed phrases tend to be linguistically and tonally incongruent with the rest of the sentence. add in Spamton’s garbled speech and “creepypasta adbot” personality and it’s easy to hear them as tawdry ads busting in on his dialogue

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Square brackets are generally used for, like, modifying quotes so to me it's natural to read them as a 'separate' voice.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Sockser posted:

I think it legitimately originates from this animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u14tZbiFMi0

technically this one did it first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfFnRTYR1S4

unless the original voice overs were released on twitter or something in which case idk which came first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Glazius posted:

GLaDOS from Portal used to do that a lot too, that whole bit of swapping in different terminology or euphemisms in a dissonant tone of voice or diction style as the last second as some other corner of her fractured psyche tried to either misdirect, suppress, or confess information to the player character, just like Spamton does. Given her overall tone and characterization though, people have come to compare Queen more to GLaDOS lately than Spamton.