Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Thank god for turbo mode. I'm in chapter 1 and I'm already spending a good portion of my time speeding things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Personally I just want a thing where you can tell if an NPC has ran out of unique things to say.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why? There's no need for anything like that with how these games work. Everyone always has something new to say at the exact same time. That would just end up putting a star or whatever next to literally every character constantly (i guess it would help in remembering who you checked already though)

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Unlucky7 posted:

Personally I just want a thing where you can tell if an NPC has ran out of unique things to say.

Got added in CS3. The text box dims after you talk to them. Good luck noticing though lol.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Amppelix posted:

Why? There's no need for anything like that with how these games work. Everyone always has something new to say at the exact same time. That would just end up putting a star or whatever next to literally every character constantly (i guess it would help in remembering who you checked already though)

That, and it would help in cases where they may have another bit of unique dialog after you talk to them if that makes sense. Like, you talk to them once, then you could talk to them again and either get another unique dialog or they just repeat. I make it a point to talk to an NPC at least twice to see if that happens since it does sometimes in JRPGs in general.

I liked the unique dialog tracking in Xenoblade 3 and I would like to see it in other places :shrug:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

MythosDragon posted:

Got added in CS3. The text box dims after you talk to them. Good luck noticing though lol.

Except that's not how it actually works. The bubble state tracks whether you've already talked to the person, not whether they have another different line to say when you talk to them again.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Xenoblade 3 putting a mark on characters with new dialogue was nice, but because I've played a bunch of Falcom games, I ended up talking to people without marks reflexively because I felt like they *should* have new dialogue.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Yeah, the "new dialogue" highlight doesn't really activate until Kuro, and even then I didn't notice it until near the end.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Amppelix posted:

In Crossbell it was unclear when NPC dialogue updated. In Sky you knew NPC dialogue updated whenever the ability to travel to a new region was unlocked, and in CS it was clearly denoted by changes in the time of day. But in Crossbell you neither travel to new regions nor see the time of day change from morning to noon to afternoon. IIRC in Crossbell there were some hidden quests that required you to talk to an NPC twice.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Moofia Boss Val posted:

In Crossbell it was unclear when NPC dialogue updated. In Sky you knew NPC dialogue updated whenever the ability to travel to a new region was unlocked, and in CS it was clearly denoted by changes in the time of day. But in Crossbell you neither travel to new regions nor see the time of day change from morning to noon to afternoon. IIRC in Crossbell there were some hidden quests that required you to talk to an NPC twice.

Not to mention that I recall instances where some NPC's had different stuff to say while others (mostly nameless festival goers) still had the same lines. Most of the time, when one NPC changes lines, all of them have, but not always.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lmao are these dogs and wolves in zero voiced by people making "bark bark" noises

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Is there any way to remove the dub from the gog version? Which files to delete?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Amppelix posted:

Lmao are these dogs and wolves in zero voiced by people making "bark bark" noises

I'm not an expert or anything, but from my experience that's pretty common in Japanese media... for some reason?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

I thought the game was JP audio only?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

I thought the game was JP audio only?

Yeah but the Xseed ones only had battle voices and I want Zero to be the same. There's no toggle in any of the menus.

e: same with the 'typing' sound in the unvoiced scenes, that also was a toggle in the other games

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 3, 2022

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
There is:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Thanks a lot!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

If you delete/rename data_pc\se\ed7se005.opus that should also get rid of the dialogue bloops.

This thread's the best. Awesome.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 3, 2022

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

If you delete/rename data_pc\se\ed7se005.opus that should also get rid of the dialogue bloops.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Terminally Bored posted:

you monster

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Yeah
Crossbell suffers immensely due to its size.
Liberl and Erebonia both average to like half an hour for NPC runs, so it's a refreshing change of pace from plot and gameplay. In Crossbell it's 2 hours.... so it's a job.
i did not realize the true significance of these words until just now

you get free access to the entirety of crossbell state from chapter 2??? i was just talking about patrolling the city itself getting long in the tooth, now i gotta check the whole god drat game?

please at least tell me all of the other locations don't update their dialogue every single time the city does

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.....

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Amppelix posted:

please at least tell me all of the other locations don't update their dialogue every single time the city does

It's like you don't know what you signed up for :allears:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

auuuughhhhhhhhh

if there's ever been something that's shown me there can be too much of a good thing, it's this series lmao

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Amppelix posted:

auuuughhhhhhhhh

if there's ever been something that's shown me there can be too much of a good thing, it's this series lmao

Also, Estelle and Joshua are assigned to different parts of the state on different days.

If you're doing a full round of the state, you'll run into them periodically, but if it gets to be too much, check the Bracer Guild bulletin board and spy on them; most of what they do is highly relevant.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Getting the early scene where they discuss the probability of Hayworth being Renne's dad was my impetus for continuing to check everywhere .

Did not realise you could just track them like that though...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

also am i blind or is there nowhere to just like, get bait in zero

seems you have to randomly fail at cooking or grind it off enemy drops?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
As I recall, you should be able to access it through Fisherman's Guild people?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Amppelix posted:

also am i blind or is there nowhere to just like, get bait in zero

seems you have to randomly fail at cooking or grind it off enemy drops?

I think they're all enemy drops, possibly some chests.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I did check to confirm - some are available at the Fisherman's Guild guy (Kopan?), but some are monster drop only. I recall I specifically ended up farming just south of Crossbell for bait at one point.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I definitely headed out on the path to Amorica at one point because I needed Earthworms so I could catch Eels for a quest.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

while we're doing questions: is there like, some mechanic behind spawning shining poms or is it just extremely rare

i killed some on ursula road that i didn't scan because i didn't realize the game makes you scan every instance of an enemy separately (great design there falcom) and now i can seemingly never run into one again here and i have a pom-shaped hole in my combat notebook

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

To make enemies respawn you need to leave the "zone". So, going back into the city, or going to St. Ursula. Should eventually spawn near the same location you ran into it the first time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cyouni posted:

As I recall, you should be able to access it through Fisherman's Guild people?

No you can only buy super dumplings from them once you hit one of higher tiers, you only get bait as random drops from enemies and by fishing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

To make enemies respawn you need to leave the "zone". So, going back into the city, or going to St. Ursula. Should eventually spawn near the same location you ran into it the first time.
i have been doing that but i guess i haven't been doing it hard enough yet

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Shining Poms are exceedingly rare in Zero.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've been posting about it in the RPG thread, but I played the first two Gagharv games recently, and I'm planning on playing the rest of the series after I finish Gagharv, so I figured I'd post here too.

The translations were definitely bad, especially in Tear of Vermillion where even item names were often nonsense, but honestly I didn't find it to be as much of a barrier as I feared, and they both still had enjoyable plots in different ways. It wasn't really an issue in Moonlight Witch (I don't know how many changes they made in the adaptation, but it felt more modern/convenient in this regard for sure despite coming out first in Japan), but Vermillion had an insane amount of backtracking that came pretty close to ruining the game for me before the plot resolution made me like it more again. I still think it's probably good that I played Moonlight Witch first, because I don't know if I would have bothered to finish Vermillion if I hadn't already been invested, but the step down in both translation and convenience was rough, and while the plot was overall better/more coherent, I did miss the cozier vibes from Moonlight Witch a bit.

I'm still very early in Song of the Ocean (I was planning to take a break, but decided to just play this one slower instead), but so far it feels like it's a turn toward being more charming again, and the translation's easily an improvement over Vermillion at least. Maybe it's weird since I can't honestly say either of the first two is a "good" game (despite liking a lot about both), but I'm pretty excited to see where this goes and wrap up the trilogy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some Numbers posted:

Shining Poms are exceedingly rare in Zero.

I've seen one in 45 hours, back attacked it without thinking and killed it instantly lol

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

is just looked this up, and there are exactly four locations in the game where they can spawn, one on each road from the city

and if you don't encounter one when you pass through the area on your mandatory visits, you need to go all the way to a town and then back to the exact location to have another chance at encountering them

and yes, you need to scan all four individually to complete the combat notebook lmao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol and I thought all the gang guys near the start being a separate entry was a gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So I'm past the part in CS4 where you infiltrate the battleship to deactivate the magic barrier. Tbh, I kind of liked Irina and Schmidt here. For all their talk of “I’m only here because the government contracted Reinford” or “this is just part of my research,” I think the main reason for them being here, and for being on Osborne’s side this long, was to get close enough to Black Alberic to see if just maybe Franz Reinford was somewhere in there; if there was the slimmest hope that Franz could be saved. That, and to help Sharon and George flip sides, in their own way. Personally, I though the one two punch of Irinia rejecting Alberic with “only my father and late husband can call me by my first name” and Schmidt bring all “you ‘capstone’ project was mid at best, Franz’ Soldats were better” was 🤌, and it was great watching Alberic, after acting all high and mighty for one and half games, squirm and be all “I’m not owned! This victory means nothing!” That and Alberic raving like a Silicon Valley lunatic how he'll make a "Church of Science" in the aftermath of the Great Twilight, and Class 7 rightfully calling it out that Ishmelga just wants to destroy everything and Alberic is just a delusional puppet was perfect, too