Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

bee posted:

This is exactly what happened when I stupidly tried to explain to my brother why I couldn't handle having my mum in my life (and by extension, my kid's life) anymore. His response was basically to acknowledge that she wasn't going to change, but since she's old and unwell and is probably not going to be around much longer I should just put up with her garbage behaviour and "move on" from all the terrible, lovely things she's done in the past.

Well, I've had that same thought before. Ten years ago, when I was pregnant and she broke into my house and snooped through all my stuff while I wasn't there I thought very hard about cutting her out of my life right then. But decided against it because "she's old and unwell and probably won't be around much longer". Turns out that I lacked the patience and/or mental resilience to just tolerate her invading my life and space while I wait around for the peace her death will bring, oh well :smithfrog:

Yeah, a lot of this sounds really familiar. Making excuses for bad behavior because someone is older or has "always been like that" or is sick - my family are experts at it. I still feel guilty about this stuff, but luckily my therapist is pretty understanding and helps me keep boundaries.

My one sibling especially has a really strange relationship with my parents where every shortcoming my parents had is actually a way they were super secretly doing it for our benefit and I just don't understand! I have tried to gently urge this sibling into therapy - or at least to hear where I am coming from, but they aren't ready. Hopefully they will get there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

there was a really long post about hanlons razor last page and i just want to point out that that isnt just npd parents, but npd people in general. they simply lack that ability because whenever anything happens to them it HAD to be malicious and whenever they do anything to anyone else the narcissists prayer kicks in. everyone is always out to get them because theyre them, the special center of the universe, and nothing bad could ever normally happen to them because theyre so great and special, so if something bad DOES happen it had to be deliberate, on purpose, and must be crushed in retaliation. ad the greatest irony of all in this is that what theyre really doing is projecting how they think about everyone else onto them anyways. after all, they think like that and theyre special perfect the best ever, so clearly everyone else thinks like them because how else would someone think??? theres no empathy there or ability to understand how others work. there is only the self.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It's me, I'm the rejected sibling.

I got engaged in March. My mom seems happy enough. My dad doesn't want me to get married to anyone because he thinks they're going to take my money and also take me away from taking care of him and so is against it. My sister refuses to speak to me out of jealousy because I got engaged. Lol the better I do the more these people resent me and want me to stop whatever I'm doing and just go back to my childhood room and wait for their assignments. I went home for my birthday and I got to fix my dad's video games and linux dual boot and he made me wash my car, after a nice lunch punctuated by his constant right wing nonsense from Fox News. My sister was talking to my mom and I said hi, and she was like "oh I gotta go". This is precedented by her as this is how she's acted towards me since I was like 16, when someone at school asked if she was my sister, and not knowing there was another answer, I said yes, which unraveled whatever stories she was spinning. Refused to speak to me and loudly would shriek about how she hated me, and this went on for years even after she had already dropped out and did alternative school. We enjoyed a warming of relations through our 20s but she had already moved out and wasn't around much. When I got my apartment last year to flee my dad, she wanted to move in with me, and I didn't want to share a 1br apartment I had just finally managed to afford with someone who I know for a fact is emotionally unstable, and here we are again with my suspicions of her recovery being totally vindicated.

Her abuse of me is 100% rooted in what my dad did, I don't even talk to her really because she's shown me that is in fact her preference. Like, it's not my fault he screamed at us until you developed severe mental illness and I developed mental illness I can mostly mask.

She has cancer now too, and despite wanting to offer my sympathies and support, she won't even acknowledge me. Why does everything I'm involved with have to be so loving cursed and weird? Even that simple thing just cannot be done, and I didn't even do anything. One minute we're cool the next she blocked my number despite me not even hitting her up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Paper Lion posted:

there was a really long post about hanlons razor last page and i just want to point out that that isnt just npd parents, but npd people in general. they simply lack that ability because whenever anything happens to them it HAD to be malicious and whenever they do anything to anyone else the narcissists prayer kicks in. everyone is always out to get them because theyre them, the special center of the universe, and nothing bad could ever normally happen to them because theyre so great and special, so if something bad DOES happen it had to be deliberate, on purpose, and must be crushed in retaliation. ad the greatest irony of all in this is that what theyre really doing is projecting how they think about everyone else onto them anyways. after all, they think like that and theyre special perfect the best ever, so clearly everyone else thinks like them because how else would someone think??? theres no empathy there or ability to understand how others work. there is only the self.

Narcissists tend to trip people up because in many ways they present as absurdly vain, short-sighted and stupid, and sometimes they are, but then when motivated with something they think is important they suddenly become meticulous and single-minded. And they also instinctively know how to present socially and butter up someone they think they need to impress, or at least try to. They barely even lie so much as change their entire mental reality to say whatever they think will please someone, and in that moment it is the truth to them, and still discarded just as quickly. (Which, it has to be said, is one of the most effective ways to lie off the cuff)

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Narcissists tend to trip people up because in many ways they present as absurdly vain, short-sighted and stupid, and sometimes they are, but then when motivated with something they think is important they suddenly become meticulous and single-minded. And they also instinctively know how to present socially and butter up someone they think they need to impress, or at least try to. They barely even lie so much as change their entire mental reality to say whatever they think will please someone, and in that moment it is the truth to them, and still discarded just as quickly. (Which, it has to be said, is one of the most effective ways to lie off the cuff)

This absolutely tracks with my own experiences with a narcissist housemate I once had. He seemingly had no capacity for long term planning except when it came to screwing over his ex wife in court, and even that came unstuck because he just didn’t expect her to lawyer up and actually fight. He also had this amazing ability to make every dumb lovely half-assed scheme of his sound very cool and rational, and you were the dumb crazy rear end in a top hat if you had any objections or could spot any flaws in his plan.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Does anyone deal with abuse object permanence issues? I don't know if it's a symptom of untreated/undiagnosed ADHD or the years of gaslighting or what.

It's now been a year and three months or so since I talked to my dad (After a fight that resulted in him leaving me a voicemail that called me "just a little shithead" among other pretty awful statements). I'm getting better at it, but the longest it's been since I've been demonstrably abused...the more I start thinking "Am I overreacting? Am I being vindictive or sadistic for still refusing to talk to this person?" I end up saving all the nasty voicemails or messages he sends me so I can remind myself.

I've been in relatively consistent contact with my mom for a little over a year as well after cutting off contact with her for a bit. She's helped me out a lot financially with my new house, which I appreciate...but contact has been still very surface level. Like I'm well aware that she's still hardcore MAGA and fundie, probably moreso now that she moved back to Wisconsin near my aunt who has been a big infowars person for a long time. Because I've put up such intense emotional boundaries with her, she hasn't really had the chance to actively "abuse" me either. So I'm having the same "was I wrong?" kind of thing with her, too.

Though recently, while she was calling me four times a day to freak out about whether hurricane Ian was going to kill me, she said I love you and I said "y...you too." (I've had kind of a hard time saying I love you to my parents for a while because of a lot of reasons). Even saying "you too" is progress for us. But she stopped and was like "Do you?...Do you love me?" So I forced out an "I love you, too" just to get her off the phone. It was like...a little bit of a reminder of who is hiding behind our cordial interactions.

She's been starting to float the idea of me coming to visit her and the rest of my relatives in Wisconsins (where I haven't been in something like 7 years). They're all hardcore conservative and definitely people I haven't trusted emotionally in a long time. Like the infowars Aunt, someone I used to be very close with when I was younger, sent me a video called "escaping the wokeness cult" a while ago...after not starting a conversation with me or trying to get to know who I am as a person in YEARS.

This has turned into a tangent. But I'm starting to realize I have very few family members I even communicate with anymore, and even then it's brief and surface level...it's making me a little sad

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Paper Lion posted:

First time I point blank told my mom I was suicidal her response was "why are you doing this to me?" lol

lol when I was going through that in middle school, my mom said "is it because I'm a bad mother?"
my dad started like fake crying? and then later on said he thought I was faking it to get out of doing homework

Never opened up to them again.

Except last year I finally told my mom I was struggling with anxiety.

Her response? "What do you have to be anxious about?" and said she was "praying for me"

NEVERMIND

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

CherryCola posted:

Does anyone deal with abuse object permanence issues? I don't know if it's a symptom of untreated/undiagnosed ADHD or the years of gaslighting or what.

It's now been a year and three months or so since I talked to my dad (After a fight that resulted in him leaving me a voicemail that called me "just a little shithead" among other pretty awful statements). I'm getting better at it, but the longest it's been since I've been demonstrably abused...the more I start thinking "Am I overreacting? Am I being vindictive or sadistic for still refusing to talk to this person?" I end up saving all the nasty voicemails or messages he sends me so I can remind myself.

I've been in relatively consistent contact with my mom for a little over a year as well after cutting off contact with her for a bit. She's helped me out a lot financially with my new house, which I appreciate...but contact has been still very surface level. Like I'm well aware that she's still hardcore MAGA and fundie, probably moreso now that she moved back to Wisconsin near my aunt who has been a big infowars person for a long time. Because I've put up such intense emotional boundaries with her, she hasn't really had the chance to actively "abuse" me either. So I'm having the same "was I wrong?" kind of thing with her, too.

Though recently, while she was calling me four times a day to freak out about whether hurricane Ian was going to kill me, she said I love you and I said "y...you too." (I've had kind of a hard time saying I love you to my parents for a while because of a lot of reasons). Even saying "you too" is progress for us. But she stopped and was like "Do you?...Do you love me?" So I forced out an "I love you, too" just to get her off the phone. It was like...a little bit of a reminder of who is hiding behind our cordial interactions.

She's been starting to float the idea of me coming to visit her and the rest of my relatives in Wisconsins (where I haven't been in something like 7 years). They're all hardcore conservative and definitely people I haven't trusted emotionally in a long time. Like the infowars Aunt, someone I used to be very close with when I was younger, sent me a video called "escaping the wokeness cult" a while ago...after not starting a conversation with me or trying to get to know who I am as a person in YEARS.

This has turned into a tangent. But I'm starting to realize I have very few family members I even communicate with anymore, and even then it's brief and surface level...it's making me a little sad

You're an empathetic person thinking about how what you're doing, by setting boundaries and taking space for yourself, might affect your parents. The problem is these people are also thinking about what's happening in those terms. And only in those terms, of how it affects them. I've cut off contact with my shithead dad twice. First time, about ten years ago, I felt absolutely horrible, and was stressed out about what a horrible daughter I was, and how I was hurting him, etc. This time I don't have that issue. After reestablishing contact and trying for about a decade to have some kind of relationship with my father, he just kept making it clear he wasn't going to treat me with the kind of respect I expected and deserved. My father never thought too hard about how his actions affected me. I don't want to spend any more time with this person. It doesn't benefit me. He's a huge emotional drain. It is harder to cut those relationships off (or just go low contact) if you aren't at that point, and I wasn't ten years ago. I think I was still going through the grieving process and in some denial. My mom died when I was a kid, so I wanted to have a relationship with at least one parent. But he's just not a good person. Sometimes doing what's right for you doesn't feel right.

I also hate, hate, hate scripted conversations. Don't be afraid to change the subject when your mother demands a super-scripted conversation. Even if it's super clunky, like just asking if she watches Matlock or if she's eating enough fruit and vegetables. Conversations with my parents were always very superficial. If I went off script and said something unexpected, like if I just asked a question or let them know we were out of some groceries, it's like they wouldn't hear me, and I'd have to repeat myself. It's like they genuinely wouldn't understand.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

ohnobugs posted:

You're an empathetic person thinking about how what you're doing, by setting boundaries and taking space for yourself, might affect your parents. The problem is these people are also thinking about what's happening in those terms. And only in those terms, of how it affects them. I've cut off contact with my shithead dad twice. First time, about ten years ago, I felt absolutely horrible, and was stressed out about what a horrible daughter I was, and how I was hurting him, etc. This time I don't have that issue. After reestablishing contact and trying for about a decade to have some kind of relationship with my father, he just kept making it clear he wasn't going to treat me with the kind of respect I expected and deserved. My father never thought too hard about how his actions affected me. I don't want to spend any more time with this person. It doesn't benefit me. He's a huge emotional drain. It is harder to cut those relationships off (or just go low contact) if you aren't at that point, and I wasn't ten years ago. I think I was still going through the grieving process and in some denial. My mom died when I was a kid, so I wanted to have a relationship with at least one parent. But he's just not a good person. Sometimes doing what's right for you doesn't feel right.

I also hate, hate, hate scripted conversations. Don't be afraid to change the subject when your mother demands a super-scripted conversation. Even if it's super clunky, like just asking if she watches Matlock or if she's eating enough fruit and vegetables. Conversations with my parents were always very superficial. If I went off script and said something unexpected, like if I just asked a question or let them know we were out of some groceries, it's like they wouldn't hear me, and I'd have to repeat myself. It's like they genuinely wouldn't understand.

Yeah they've both always been about those "scripts." I get anxious around people who act "goofy" because my dad would say something weird or tell a joke and if we didn't respond EXACTLY how he wanted us to, he'd freak out.

I think I'm pretty set on staying NC with him though. I've been convinced to restart communication with him by other family members a few times times. Once because they were pretty sure he was dying (over three years ago, he did not in fact die), one back in 2017 after being NC for two years because my mom had a stroke and she and infowars aunt looked at me and said "if YOU ask him to watch [mom's] dog, there's no way he'll say no!", and another time before that from just "HE'S YOUR FATHER" pressure. Even though they've been divorced since 2007, my parents remain weirdly co-dependent. My mom feels like a bad person because my dad sucks and no one wants to have a relationship with him, so she thinks that if we make up that somehow absolves her. After going off on her about a dozen times for trying to convince me to start talking with my dad again I think she's finally gotten the picture. However, for a while my older brother has had some epiphany that "our parents are basically children, so we just need to treat them as such and not cut them off." Which means everyone else also needs to have that epiphany. Though I haven't gotten that from him in a bit, so I'm assuming he and my dad got in another bad fight and he's had a different epiphany.

Anyway, that all being said...I'm finally to a point where I can point blank tell me other family members that I have zero interest in a relationship with my father. Because honestly I don't think he gives a poo poo about me as a person.

While I'm rambling...here's the backstory...which I think I may have posted in another thread at some point but whatever...

I've never been Facebook friends with my dad, but I would routinely check his (completely public) page because he has a habit of posting very personal poo poo about me to his other boomer friends to essentially make himself look good??? I have repeatedly asked him not to do this. A year ago, about four or 5 days before my birthday in July, I saw he made this long post about how his family used to hate him, including his daughter (me) who was not talking to him FOR WHATEVER REASON (the reasons were clearly communicated to him). And eventually he said some statement like "If your family is mad at you, just wait and they'll come back around," demonstrating to me that he had no loving changed at all and was 100% the same manipulative piece of poo poo he's always been.

So because he had a completely open and public page, I actually commented for everyone to see how disgusted I was by everything he said. Shortly he blocked me and sent me an email (on my WORK EMAIL ADDRESS) telling me how horrible I was and then also left that voicemail calling me a shithead and saying that I had negatively impacted his life more than I'll ever know.

Since then he's sent me voicemails (he's blocked, but they still go to the "blocked" folder on my iphone") with varying tones either telling me how much he loves me and that I should call him or saying I'm pretty stupid for cutting him out of my life.

The fact that it took me this long and that our family has coddled him for decades after (big TW) he molested my oldest, also disabled, brother when he was a kid makes me feel loving insane sometimes. Like everyone in my family has been gaslit and gaslit themselves so hard that reality doesn't even loving make sense.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, absolutely gently caress that. There have been three confirmed child molesters in my mother's side of the family alone, never once were any of them held accountable and we were all just supposed to accept it and move on because fAmiLY. I loving HATE it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ohnobugs posted:

I am the opposite of this. I prefer a "scripted" template conversation with my parents. It makes things so much easier.

I live a continent away from my parents, and whilst not officially Low Contact, we have never been close for many reasons. So when my dad calls me, (which is usually once or twice a month), the conversation goes: He tells me the latest cricket or football news, asks about the weather, then tells me that it is the opposite season in the Southern hemisphere where he lives, asks about petrol prices, and is constantly astounded by the time difference. He then passes the phone to mum who tells me a piece or two of petty gossip about some family member I don't know, asks about my job, expresses disappointment that it doesn't pay better, and then it's over.

I have long since given up trying to engage or interact with them emotionally or actually tell them of the poo poo I am going through etc. because as you say, they physically don't hear or understand. And when they do, they use it as an excuse to criticize or blame everything on my "poor life decisions" by giving me the most patronizing, infantalizing advice ever. (Because of course I am still a 12 year old boy who needs his mummy to tell him how to buy a train ticket, and not a grown man multiple decades older who has been living and working overseas for 15 years.)

The template gets the whole thing over and done with quickly, avoids drama, and allows us both to say that we are still keeping in touch. Even though neither party really knows or cares about what is going on with the other one.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Yeah, absolutely gently caress that. There have been three confirmed child molesters in my mother's side of the family alone, never once were any of them held accountable and we were all just supposed to accept it and move on because fAmiLY. I loving HATE it.

I didn’t even know it happened until I found my dad’s probation paperwork on the fax machine when I was 10. (Because it was a first offense and he did a bunch of therapy he only spent a month in a work release program when I was like 6, which I thought was just a long business trip) the details were always very murky growing up, presented like an accident/misunderstanding. Years later my brother as an adult told us more and it was worse than i thought.

Of course my mom said she stayed with him because she wanted us to “have a father”

Long story short, I don’t keep that secret anymore

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

The template gets the whole thing over and done with quickly, avoids drama, and allows us both to say that we are still keeping in touch. Even though neither party really knows or cares about what is going on with the other one.

That works if you both know what the template is and your parents aren't looking for any reason to start a fight with you.

edit: Or as long as they aren't using you as an emotional support animal.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

CherryCola posted:

Of course my mom said she stayed with him because she wanted us to “have a father”

UGH i hate that loving poo poo. my mom would say similar, but instead it was about how boys ~NEEDED~ to have fathers (i have a younger brother), and this was more important to her in the end than how that father treated the girls and those-thought-to-be-girls in the family (she did end up divorcing him but i was pressured to keep visiting him on weekends along with my brother till i wasn't a minor anymore)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Children actually don't need to have child molesters in their life. In fact, things would probably be a lot better without them. gently caress all that heteronormative bullshit. Children don't need a father, they need to feel safe and loved.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Dr. Stab posted:

Children actually don't need to have child molesters in their life. In fact, things would probably be a lot better without them. gently caress all that heteronormative bullshit. Children don't need a father, they need to feel safe and loved.

IMAGINE

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Good god, my dad tried to murder my mom in front of me after abusing us for years. When her dad died, she told me I should reach out to mine and make amends so I won't have any regrets when he dies.

Excuse me??????? I should just get along with someone that completely destroyed my brain and gave me all sorts of trauma and personality disorders and made me want to kill myself for years???!?!?!??!?,!

Blood family is a loving scam. They can all rot in hell.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Good god, my dad tried to murder my mom in front of me after abusing us for years. When her dad died, she told me I should reach out to mine and make amends so I won't have any regrets when he dies.

Excuse me??????? I should just get along with someone that completely destroyed my brain and gave me all sorts of trauma and personality disorders and made me want to kill myself for years???!?!?!??!?,!

Blood family is a loving scam. They can all rot in hell.

When my grandma (mom's mom) died, my mom said I should reach out to my dad before it's too late, and I said "(Grandma) is dead and the world is a better place for it"

She didn't really like that answer, but also when my father finally loving dies, the world will be a better place for it

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
https://twitter.com/gbbranstetter/status/1578057027179388931?s=46&t=LSi_XYppOafrXgWcORyoqg

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

cant imagine why he'd have moved out

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Wouldn't be the first parent to try to weaponize their adult child's autism diagnosis and get them declared incompetent because they've been GroomedTM by The TransesTM. Autistic people are often accused -- not without reason -- of being overly "rigid" or resorting to "black-and-white" thinking, but a lot of autism parents seem to think that any continuing sign of autism, no matter how it effects quality of life, proves that their child is not worthy of personal autonomy.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Danaru posted:

When my grandma (mom's mom) died, my mom said I should reach out to my dad before it's too late, and I said "(Grandma) is dead and the world is a better place for it"

She didn't really like that answer, but also when my father finally loving dies, the world will be a better place for it

That was my mom and grandmother's attitude towards my great grandmother dying. I thought it was cruel when I was a kid but as I got older... I get it.

My grandmother is generally a decent person and has run herself ragged helping others to her own personal detriment, but for whatever horrific reason has a massive blindspot over the family members who've been molested, including my mom.

And it looks like it runs in the family because one of her cousins let it slip that her dad molested her a few years ago and my mom's reaction after that was "oh, Geno would never do that, I don't believe it".

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Pththya-lyi posted:

Wouldn't be the first parent to try to weaponize their adult child's autism diagnosis and get them declared incompetent because they've been GroomedTM by The TransesTM. Autistic people are often accused -- not without reason -- of being overly "rigid" or resorting to "black-and-white" thinking, but a lot of autism parents seem to think that any continuing sign of autism, no matter how it effects quality of life, proves that their child is not worthy of personal autonomy.

Being autistic is not a differential diagnosis for being trans, but a lot of parents seem to think so, because, to them, autism means that it's impossible for you to know what you really want.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I recently re-discovered my first ever favourite song, the first song to ever make me feel emotions when I heard it, I would have been about 3 years old. The other night it hit me really hard, a sudden thought of "I loved this song during a time in my life before all the bad stuff happened. I was such a happy kid, I had no idea what was in store for me. Imagine who I could have been if I hadn't been so hurt so badly for so long." And I completely broke down, in both pity for that child for what was going to happen to them, but also so much joy because I was once so innocent and happy.

I've been going through some major personality disorder bullshit lately and it was actually nice to reconnect to the me that exists somewhere deep inside this mountain of trauma. I really need to find a therapist that loving works out for me. It's just so disheartening to be failed over and over by people who just don't seem equipped to deal with my utter disaster of a self.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm sorry, chief. I know what I've been through pales in comparison to what you have been through, but I feel for you.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Deki posted:

"oh, Geno would never do that, I don't believe it".

This is because if they do believe it then they have to believe that Geno is a bad person doing bad things. But they have been friendly/close with Geno. So if they believe it then that means they have been close/friendly with a bad person doing bad things. And that would make them a bad person by association.

But they are not bad people. So better to believe that Geno didn't do anything bad, and thus keep believing that they themselves are not bad people.

Therefore the victim is truly the bad person in this situation because of their "lies".

It's a horrible thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
getting blamed for family drama years after cutting contact is a hearty LoL moment

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Thinking of y’all, it’s been rough and guess who gets to see family for two weeks it’s me

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

teen witch posted:

Thinking of y’all, it’s been rough and guess who gets to see family for two weeks it’s me

Warm thoughts your way, teen witch. I hope the best for you.

What are the odds Musk isn’t a narcissist? All the hallmarks are there, most especially braying and kicking his feet in public at any possibility he could be the source of his own worst problems.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even if he didn't fit the clinical definition, he's in the kind-of position where everything encourages those tendencies to the point where he functionally might as well be.

I just can't get over how on the scale of ultra-rich dudes we're stuck with him by bad luck. If he didn't have the Emerald Apartheid money growing up, he'd just be some goon, but compound interest is a bitch and a half.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol "is Musk a narcissist? We'll have that story and the final answer as to whether or not water is wet at 11."

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lol "is Musk a narcissist? We'll have that story and the final answer as to whether or not water is wet at 11."

Honestly I’m just making sure there isn’t some component I’m missing, or that my radar’s miscalibrated after severing things with my own narc mom. Kind of a sanity check, you know?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The ultra-rich are all hoarders, the ones who realize it's better to stay enigmatic are the ones without narcissism.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is because if they do believe it then they have to believe that Geno is a bad person doing bad things. But they have been friendly/close with Geno. So if they believe it then that means they have been close/friendly with a bad person doing bad things. And that would make them a bad person by association.

But they are not bad people. So better to believe that Geno didn't do anything bad, and thus keep believing that they themselves are not bad people.

Therefore the victim is truly the bad person in this situation because of their "lies".

It's a horrible thing.

I mean, I liked Geno growing up. I didn't spend much time with him, but he seemed like a nice guy and his kids didn't turn into useless chuds like most of my grandma's other siblings.

But I'm not gonna flat out disregard an accusation like that, especially when it's already widely known and accepted that his ex abused the kids horribly. Unfortunately, the guy probably did it. I'm not gonna push it since we're not close with his side of the family despite living in the same metropolitan area, and he's been dead a few years, but disregarding it out of hand is real lovely.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Family that want to be blind will be blind. Is it worth fighting them for decades to believe you, or do you hold your nose and just flush the ones who still gotta hand it to the abuser?

blooddasbootcelery
Oct 9, 2022
Never been abused, not me. But wishing survivors all the best in this thread.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mind the walrus posted:

I just can't get over how on the scale of ultra-rich dudes we're stuck with him by bad luck.
It's not bad luck. You cannot have a good billionaire. The actions that result in accumulating billions are fundamentally incompatible with being a good person. Even in the hypothetical where a good person magically came into billions in wealth they would pretty much immediately stop being a billionaire through good works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
yeah you'd have to be a sociopath or supreme narcissist to have billions of dollars and not immediately start building homes for the homeless and feeling the hungry. you wouldn't even need to do any effort you could just pay someone to manage it