Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm so glad all the fixer calls are now text messages by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Mission wise, I'd say Cyberpunk 2077 is better because the dialogue is actually well written and the character animation is actually competent.

But the world as a whole is definitely worse. My favourite part of Skyrim was just exploring the world and checking out every little point of interest, but in Cyberpunk there's... not much of a world to explore, and even when you do try, you're constantly barraged with texts and phone calls from people demanding your attention. The game is very much the if ubisoft made Elden Ring meme.

There's also minimal reactivity in the world. Yes. Less reactivity than Skyrim. You can buy apartments but so far there's zero customisation for them.

Overall, the game feels like a Ubisoft open world game, minus the climbing of towers.

I disagree super hard (except about the annoying phone calls) . If Cyberpunk felt like an Ubisoft game I'd have dumped it in under 8 hours like I have with every Ubi game. The city has a ton of personality and interesting poo poo to see, that I have never seen even a fraction of in an Ubisoft game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah, it may not be a Bethesda open world (really not much is), but it’s significantly better than an Ubisoft one. In the same way W3 is - there isn’t a ton of systemic stuff going on or necessarily tons of stuff to explore and discover, but it’s well crafted and a believable space imo

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Speaking of open-world, I have to agree with whoever said the ludonarrative dissonance in Watch Dogs 2 is too much. Having GTAlike gameplay (whatever this genre is called?) in a story about dorky hacktivists is just weird. At least it feels right to do missions in a stealth/non-lethal missions manner, but also I am biologically incapable of not driving like a monster in the open world segments in these kind of games.

I liked Saints Row 2 and 3 leaning hard on "yeah, these characters are exactly as psychotic as how you play this game" and I also felt Sleeping Dogs made the story and gameplay fit together nicely, which is probably why those are my favourite titles in this genre. Not sure I will be sticking with WD2.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Speaking of open-world, I have to agree with whoever said the ludonarrative dissonance in Watch Dogs 2 is too much. Having GTAlike gameplay (whatever this genre is called?) in a story about dorky hacktivists is just weird. At least it feels right to do missions in a stealth/non-lethal missions manner, but also I am biologically incapable of not driving like a monster in the open world segments in these kind of games.

The game works A LOT better, both narratively and mechanically if you ignore lethal weapons. I'm pretty sure those have been forced in after the fact to not alienate the core Ubisoft audience.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://gameranx.com/updates/id/372442/article/za-um-developers-leave-studio-involuntarily/

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Sleeping Dogs is great because you would think a cop would only be half as violent as a normal GTA protagonist but Wei Shen is just an absolute psychopath so its all completely natural.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ZearothK posted:

I liked Saints Row 2 and 3 leaning hard on "yeah, these characters are exactly as psychotic as how you play this game" and I also felt Sleeping Dogs made the story and gameplay fit together nicely, which is probably why those are my favourite titles in this genre. Not sure I will be sticking with WD2.

My most memorable scene in Sleeping Dogs are triads driving towards a heist and commenting on how cops cannot kill people, so asking new members to kill is a good way to find undercover cops.

Wei Shen manages to save the main criminal of the mission because he’s a good cop, and then proceeds to throw half of the criminal element in Hong Kong into a wood chipper.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I'd like to call out my most memorable scene in Sleeping Dogs, but I just can't decide which one it is. The story just never stops throwing them at you. What a game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLu0obvPao0

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm partial to the combined end of the dating missions, where wei is called out for being a 5(?) timing prick, dumped, and then acts like he's the victim.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm partial to the combined end of the dating missions, where wei is called out for being a 5(?) timing prick, dumped, and then acts like he's the victim.

The entire mechanic was like a one and done thing that unlocks a map feature for each girl. Either they cut the planned content by a lot or the idea you could date characters like in GTA4 was so important to open world games they just shoehorned in the bare minimum.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Fat Samurai posted:

My most memorable scene in Sleeping Dogs are triads driving towards a heist and commenting on how cops cannot kill people, so asking new members to kill is a good way to find undercover cops.

Wei Shen manages to save the main criminal of the mission because he’s a good cop, and then proceeds to throw half of the criminal element in Hong Kong into a wood chipper.

But god loving help you if you dent a car while undercover.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pwnstar posted:

Sleeping Dogs is great because you would think a cop would only be half as violent as a normal GTA protagonist but Wei Shen is just an absolute psychopath so its all completely natural.
The cops in GTA games are more psychotic than you ever will be. Not even caring about their own life as they constantly drive into the water to drown or ram cars so hard they explode. The army tells them to chill.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Zedd posted:

Assuming you mean the FPS from a few years ago:
Very standard shooter of it's time, nothing offensive but nothing stands out. Gunfeel is meh, campaign is meh. It's just bland and drap.

This and the others: Thanks for the heads up…most of my backlog and wishlist is because of this thread…any reason to drop a game or three is usually a good thing!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

The entire mechanic was like a one and done thing that unlocks a map feature for each girl. Either they cut the planned content by a lot or the idea you could date characters like in GTA4 was so important to open world games they just shoehorned in the bare minimum.

There was a lot of cut stuff including that. Activision cancelled the game (originally a new True Crime game) and it was bought by Square Enix who of course didn’t want to spend any more money than they already had. That Sleeping Dogs was as good as it was is amazing.

Then Square went through a period where apparently one or more higher ups were convinced that consoles would be dead within a few years and everything should be an online game and you Sleeping Dogs make an online game and woops, series dead.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Then Square went through a period where apparently one or more higher ups were convinced that consoles would be dead within a few years and everything should be an online game and you Sleeping Dogs make an online game and woops, series dead.
That was part of it. The other part, frankly, is that a lot of people left United Front at the end of Sleeping Dogs' difficult development, so there was a lot of brain drain.

There was an article years ago examining a design document written up for Sleeping Dogs 2. It would have had two protagonists with different approaches to each mission - Wei Shen would beat up and shoot up everything as usual, while the other guy would be more adventure game-y, framing people and such. There was also a bunch of second-screen tablet intergration ala Smartglass, which should definitely date where this was coming from.

Lemme find it... Here we go. Vice: Inside the Ambitious 'Sleeping Dogs' Sequel We'll Never Get to Play

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There was no "much of the team behind Sleeping Dogs went off and formed their own studio" kind of a thing, was there?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah that's probably because he is an american cop. :v:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Tomorrow's October Humble Choice bundle allegedly includes Deathloop, Monster Train, and Disciples: Liberation, according to a leaker who's gotten these right for the past few months. Deathloop would be a pretty good headliner, relative to some of the recent bundles.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Monster Train is one of the most addictive card battlers I've ever played and more people should check it out if they liked Slay the Spire.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Monster Train and Deathloop is both on Game Pass.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

more demos launching for Next Fest this week. bolded are ones i'm interested in, italics mean you may have seen them at E3/various events:

Desktop Dungeons Rewind (a 3D remake/sidequel)
Jackbox Party Pack 9
Potionomics
Hell is Others
Stuntfest - World Tour (THQ Nordic)
Flat Eye
Tails: The Backbone Preludes (didn't even know this existed, interesting! i'm the one person who liked the twist/story shift in backbone)
Friends vs Friends
JETT: The Far Shore (Superbrothers)
Forever Skies
Cassette Beasts
Tiny Troopers: Global Ops
Bravery & Greed
Pixeljunk Scrappers
Birth
Meg's Monster
Decarnation
The Time I Have Left
From Space
VICE NDRCVR (Skybound)

As I should've expected, a lot of devs kept their demos hidden until just now. Still I wish that they hadn't because it'd have made it easier for me to keep it all together and give people the heads up!

Already mentioned before:

WH40K: Warpforge
Beloved Rapture
Capes (superhero xcom?)
Dewdrop Dynasty
Trouble Juice (dev of Toodee & Topdee)
Murder is Game Over
Azure Striker Gunvolt 3
Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider - by the dev of Blazing Chrome and Odallus: The Dark Call
Psychroma
Knuckle Sandwich
Arkanoid: Eternal Battle
SKALD
Stick It to the Stickman (by the dev of Broforce, Gorn, Genital Jousting, and Anger Foot)
Ship of Fools
Slam & Roll
Foolish Mortals
Winter Falling: Battle Tactics
Gunbrella
Sorry We're Open (also in the Haunted PS1 Demo Disc 2022)
Stories from Sol Pt 1 (i enjoy a retro anime/pc98 graphic adventure look)
ZeroRanger
Dungeons of the Amber Griffin
Retro Gadgets
Miniland

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 3, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No idea if this is 100% true but still

https://twitter.com/gamingonlinux/s...ingawful.com%2F

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Excited to try the demos for Potionomics and SKALD first. I think SKALD has had several demos at this point but this is apparently a new one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

hundreds of demos and most of these aren't worth the effort the developers put into it.

There's a few standouts but it's mostly

point and click
vampire survivors clone
some ambitious chinese thing
booba game
yet another platformer
something that tries to do something quirky but probably is too ambitious

There's just so much to look at

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1612000/One_Day_More/
seems interesting

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1760580/Anton/
is interesting but it's basically less polished Republique which is also similar to https://store.steampowered.com/app/324770/eXperience_112/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1562430/DREDGE/
might be good?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

more demos goin' up

Clash: Artifacts of Chaos - new game in the Zeno Clash universe by Ace Team
Block n Load 2
Floodland - by Vile Monarch (Growing Up, Weedcraft, Oh Sir)
Mushrooms: Forest Walker
Loud - a music game by HyperStrange (Postal: Brain Damaged, Blood West, Elderborn)
Rhythm Sprout
Gun Jam
The Knight Witch

e: note that i've just been looking at the new and upcoming lists on the regular steam catalog rather than the steam next fest landing page, just because a lot of demos that will be in the next fest are demos that have been around and live for months, so i just want to make sure to catch the new ones that will very likely be time-limited.

i can do a later post that goes over the notable demos from the landing page itself in terms of stuff that's been around just in case people want to check out some cool stuff they maybe were unaware of. although i think my posts on this page have already laid out a pretty extensive list of stuff to try

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 3, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

a list of upcoming sony releases leaked, and you're not gonna believe this but returnal is coming to PC

and some other stuff too like horizon forbidden west

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Zedd posted:

Yeah that's probably because he is an american cop. :v:

Related to this, one of my favorite lines in the game is near the start where Jackie yells, "Holy poo poo, Wei! What did they do to you in America?!" as you are dropping a shutter onto someone's torso.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1283410/Tails_of_Iron/

Buy the rat game.

It's good.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2135150/Elin/

Sequel to Elona from back in the day which I dumped a lot of hours into

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Was Elona ever finished?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

repiv posted:

a list of upcoming sony releases leaked, and you're not gonna believe this but returnal is coming to PC

and some other stuff too like horizon forbidden west

Are they legit remastering the first Horizon?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sininu posted:

Are they legit remastering the first Horizon?

Yes. A game you can already play on the ps5 with a 60fps patch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It will be missing a major feature from the original and cost $70 with no upgrade for existing owners

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What the hell do you do to remaster a game like that in a way that looks appreciably different?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

What the hell do you do to remaster a game like that in a way that looks appreciably different?

They just did Last of Us 1, a game that already had a remaster on PS4 and ran on PS5. Looks like Sony is just planning to pump out remasters/remakes for one generation ago now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Without remasters and ps4 games the ps5 has no games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

OK, some more demos from gleaning the actual landing page. Bolded my interests, italics for previously seen at E3/Gamescom/Realms Deep/etc:

9 Years of Shadows
Asterigos (TinyBuild)
Scars Above (a third person action game by the dev of, of all things, Adam Wolfe??!!!)
Katana Rama
Vernal Edge
Mile High Taxi
The Eternal Cylinder (Ace Team)
Dros
Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum
Fowl Scourge
Enchain
77p egg: eggwife (look, it was in Realms Deep ok)
Chasm: The Rift
ProtoCorgi
SuperFuse
Inkulinati
Mask of the Rose (Failbetter Games, aka Sunless Skies/Sea)
Thirsty Suitors
Infinite Mana
Simulacra 3
Storyteller
The Case of the Golden Idol
Unusual Findings
Slender Threads
The Entropy Centre
Dream Tactics
Eden's Last Sunrise
Zoria: The Awakening (a CRPG by Tiny Trinket, dev of Gamedec)
Slay the Princess (VN by Abby Howard, cartoonist and designer of Scarlet Hollow)
Rosewater (point and click adventure by Grundislav Games, dev of Lamplight City and A Golden Wake)
Somnipathy
The Abandoned Planet
DoubleShake (Mischief Makers tribute. note that if this is the old build, it was pretty janky)

As always, I'm trying to highlight the games that are legit, or at least look interesting, I'm not just rattling off every demo I see. I'm ignoring the stock asset stuff, the 'my first gamemaker/Unity game' stuff. there should be plenty from what i've posted for you to find something you'll dig, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Case of the Golden Idol demo is fantastic, that game is gonna be tons of fun

kazil fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 3, 2022