Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MakeMKV if it’s a bluray, command line or Handbrake if it’s a DVD. Been ripping my collection to a NAS for Kodi to stream for years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Smurfs is shockingly consistent about this, when they have the Smurf Babies they actually create a female one similar to Smurfette specifically so they have a female one to grow up with.

When a Smurf reaches old age and dies, the other Smurfs bury him. At that point, spores stored within his body germinate and the hyphae of his and other dead Smurfs combine. Eventually, a new mushroom grows, with an infant Smurf inside the stem. Upon maturity, the baby Smurf is released from the mushroom. This Mushroom will become the home for the new Smurf. To facilitate the develop of the motile, sentient Smurf from the parent mushroom, the mushroom releases a spores capable of triggering protogny in nearby Smurfs.

A complex life cycle, to be sure, but nature is a complex system.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Sash! posted:

When a Smurf reaches old age and dies, the other Smurfs bury him. At that point, spores stored within his body germinate and the hyphae of his and other dead Smurfs combine. Eventually, a new mushroom grows, with an infant Smurf inside the stem. Upon maturity, the baby Smurf is released from the mushroom. This Mushroom will become the home for the new Smurf. To facilitate the develop of the motile, sentient Smurf from the parent mushroom, the mushroom releases a spores capable of triggering protogny in nearby Smurfs.

So they’re in the same phylum as the piggies from the Ender’s Game sequels?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Riven posted:

So they’re in the same phylum as the piggies from the Ender’s Game sequels?

It would appear so

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can't remember what software it was off the top of my head, but I have something that lets me rip DVDs and Blu-rays (and doesn't seem to get tripped up by protection measures), so I buy physical and immediately make a backup to go on HDD; one day I'll turn it into a NAS so I can access them anywhere as well.
I use AnyDVD for that, although it's not free (yes, I bought a licence). MakeMkv also works and that's free, at least for now, but I don't know if they ever intend to get out of beta...

Speaking of pirated media and Venture Bros, I'm curious about something : I rip all the episodes from the blu-rays and the episode "Everybody Comes to Hank's" is noticeably bigger than any other episode (I'm guessing that either the audio track is bigger because of the voice-over, or there is something funny happening with the black and white segments), is it the same from pirate uploads ?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What was that about bums not liking dicks coming?

X_Toad posted:

I use AnyDVD for that, although it's not free (yes, I bought a licence). MakeMkv also works and that's free, at least for now, but I don't know if they ever intend to get out of beta...

Speaking of pirated media and Venture Bros, I'm curious about something : I rip all the episodes from the blu-rays and the episode "Everybody Comes to Hank's" is noticeably bigger than any other episode (I'm guessing that either the audio track is bigger because of the voice-over, or there is something funny happening with the black and white segments), is it the same from pirate uploads ?

I doubt the audio track is any bigger. The black and white segments is a good hunch though. For a constant quality, the bitrate is be lower or higher depending on how many pixels are changing from frame to frame; more movement means less compression and higher bitrate. For all of the black and white scenes there are vertical bars moving randomly back and forth and on top of that there's like a 5 Hz non-uniform flicker across the entire image, e.g. a lot more movement than the full color scenes.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

X_Toad posted:

I haven't downloaded this so I can't look more closely as to why, but yes:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Sash! posted:

unbeknownst to neither, smurfs and gargamels have a symbiotic relationship, where during the gargamel's life cycle he would always one day come up with the plan to create a female smurf, allowing the species to reproduce.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

unbeknownst to neither, smurfs and gargamels have a symbiotic relationship, where during the gargamel's life cycle he would always one day come up with the plan to create a female smurf, allowing the species to reproduce.

The circle of life!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
smurf spores got me acting crazy. "I'll get you, I'll get all of you if it's the last thing I ever do! hehehehe!" - a doomed man trapped in a biochemical hell from which he can never escape.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The real debate is which reason for Gargamel wanting to capture Smurfs is the better one, him wanting to turn them into gold makes more sense but him wanting to eat them is surprisingly depraved for such a kid friendly franchise

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Smurf blood is psilocybin.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

uber_stoat posted:

smurf spores got me acting crazy. "I'll get you, I'll get all of you if it's the last thing I ever do! hehehehe!" - a doomed man trapped in a biochemical hell from which he can never escape.

The idea that smurfs release spores that alter someone's brain so that they become nothing but an antagonist for the smurfs is terrifying. You haven't seen your buddy in a while and you go looking for him and he's living in a run down shack, wearing rags, and he's completely consumed with capturing these little blue creatures.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Nice! posted:

Smurf blood is psilocybin.

Finally we learn why Gargamel wanted to harvest them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cojawfee posted:

The idea that smurfs release spores that alter someone's brain so that they become nothing but an antagonist for the smurfs is terrifying. You haven't seen your buddy in a while and you go looking for him and he's living in a run down shack, wearing rags, and he's completely consumed with capturing these little blue creatures.

This is magnificent.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I hate to derail Smurf spores conversation with another detail, as I am thoroughly impressed with how dark it has gotten. I was just wondering if there is a Harley Quinn thread, since this thread is the one that turned me onto the show in the first place.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

The real debate is which reason for Gargamel wanting to capture Smurfs is the better one, him wanting to turn them into gold makes more sense but him wanting to eat them is surprisingly depraved for such a kid friendly franchise

They're actually the same reason, if you eat a smurf you poo poo out gold

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

And now you too are driven mad by the desire to eat Smurfs.

Consumption of Smurfs is a key method for spreading Smurf spores to new locations for colonies. I don't believe I need to go into detail as to how this works.

Because you know I'm talking about poop.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You imagine yourself stirring a pot of swirling colors filled with alchemical reagents that you'll use to finally capture the smurfs. Why does stirring the pot make your legs feel tired? As the colors swirl with their hypnotic patterns your eyes begin to droop, and the next time that you close them you are somewhere else. You are scolding your cat for having foiled yet another of your smurf-capturing schemes. Your mouth begins to feel dry, you drink from the oddly-shaped bottles in the cabinets of your stone shack but nothing drives away your thirst. When did you start living in this stone shake in the first place? Each night you imagine laying in a bed of straw, but your legs feel so restless.

You don't know how long it's been since you started walking, but the hallucinogenic effects of the parasitic smurf spores ended days ago. You see a sign in the distance, but your vision is blurry. Yosemite? You don't know why but a sense of relief washes over you as you hear a deep but strange growling noise from a distance. Did that bear just say "pic-a-nic baskets"? It doesn't matter. You crave only the sweet release of death as your body is compelled to walk toward a pair of bears wearing ties.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sataere posted:

I hate to derail Smurf spores conversation with another detail, as I am thoroughly impressed with how dark it has gotten. I was just wondering if there is a Harley Quinn thread, since this thread is the one that turned me onto the show in the first place.

There was a lot of chat in the general DC thread here, and in the cartoons thread over in BSS.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And I'm not even sure where it comes in that the last Smurf movie- sequel to the obligatory Manhattan one, where it is established briefly that Smurfette is still artificially created- they run into a lost tribe of all-female Smurfs. I'm not sure if they have a single artificially created male.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
You tell me that Smurfs grow from spores and I'm going to just assume that Smurfs is made for fightin' and winnin'.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

They're actually the same reason, if you eat a smurf you poo poo out gold

Roger Smith's dark backstory revealed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Course now that's reminding me of this old thing; https://twitter.com/TheSWATKats/status/1357105589097144320?s=20&t=aiXI01wpg_2jgkAYyG-Gnw

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Sash! posted:

And now you too are driven mad by the desire to eat Smurfs.

Consumption of Smurfs is a key method for spreading Smurf spores to new locations for colonies. I don't believe I need to go into detail as to how this works.

Because you know I'm talking about poop.

strong Delta Green energy ITT

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I just want to hear Dr O chime in and point out that real world Smurfs exist, are pretty mundane and the dude behind the cartoon was some sort of magic weirdo.

I miss all the Triad :smith:.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

SeanBeansShako posted:

I just want to hear Dr O chime in and point out that real world Smurfs exist, are pretty mundane and the dude behind the cartoon was some sort of magic weirdo.

I miss all the Triad :smith:.

"Gargamel...yes, he was my roommate when we were both at community college.. He did us all a favor by dropping out."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I kind of want to recommend my friend's book about the seven children of an evil sorcerer, who come to his deathbed to argue about who should inherit his little gold men who represent total alchemical power, and whether they even want or should have his evil omnipotence.

Unfortunately, I think the context provided by this discussion kind of negates the part of the experience where you realize partway through the book "wait, the backstory of this is all about a man and his cat chasing a bunch of little blue men so he can turn them into gold... I'm reading a gripping fantasy drama about the loving Gargamels".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I kind of want to recommend my friend's book about the seven children of an evil sorcerer, who come to his deathbed to argue about who should inherit his little gold men who represent total alchemical power, and whether they even want or should have his evil omnipotence.

Unfortunately, I think the context provided by this discussion kind of negates the part of the experience where you realize partway through the book "wait, the backstory of this is all about a man and his cat chasing a bunch of little blue men so he can turn them into gold... I'm reading a gripping fantasy drama about the loving Gargamels".

That sounds amazing

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Rand Brittain posted:

I find the concept very interesting, but the description reminds me of a trailer that shows you all the interesting parts of the movie and inevitably falls flat. I can't put my finger quite on it. If it ever makes its way to Audible, I'll give it a whirl. Unfortunately I don't have the time anymore to sit down and just enjoy a book.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Me whenever my significant other is sick or slightly under the weather:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I hate yoooooooooooou.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"What did I do?"

"What did youuuu doooo."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Man, I want them to actually release a heavily amended Flight (And Fight) Of The Monarch and also do an audio reading of the whole thing with both characters.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Man, I want them to actually release a heavily amended Flight (And Fight) Of The Monarch and also do an audio reading of the whole thing with both characters.

I would buy Venture Bros audio dramas. Maybe even some pieces from in universe, like Colonel Gentleman's memoirs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

He's gonna kill you! He may make meeeee kill youuuuuuu

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rifling through his pockets for change, The Monarch accidentally launches a sodium-pentothal-tipped dart deep into his own thigh. Upon hearing a girlish symphony of shrill wails a waitress comes to his aid.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

pixaal posted:

I would buy Venture Bros audio dramas. Maybe even some pieces from in universe, like Colonel Gentleman's memoirs.

I like this idea better than comics. I usually can't get into cartoons or shows that get turned into comics because the characters' voices always feel off to me. Having the VOs would help sell it more than the art for me I think.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
comics with audio narration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Gnome de plume posted:

comics with audio narration

Only if they direct you when to turn the page and then Billy and Pete argue after each page turn because it isn't going quickly enough, but Billy wants to appreciate the art and doesn't get why Pete is in such a hurry.