Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

There are a lot of reports saying the 4000 series cards are huge. RIP SFF.

Good thing I'm not spending $1200 - $1600 on a GPU any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VulgarandStupid posted:

There are a lot of reports saying the 4000 series cards are huge. RIP SFF.

The 4090 is actually reported to be ever so slightly smaller than the 3090--not that the 3090 could fit in a SFF to begin with.

The 4080's look like a mixed bag. So far they're all looking pretty close to the same sizes as the 3000 counterparts, though. MSI's Ventus line actually slimmed the cooler down by 6mm for some of the models, others they've bumped up a couple mm.

Basically, yeah, they're chonks. But so were the 3000 series. So the same rules still apply: if you couldn't fit it before, probably can't now. If you could fit a 3080/90 before, you're highly likely to find a model that fits.

Also, yes, watercooling the FE PCB is the correct answer if you want a real small footprint--same as it was for Ampere.

Romes128 posted:

at least the power draw isn't crazy high like what some people were speculating. my 750w is what nvidia recommends for the 4080 16gb... if i can get a FE. i'm assuming the AIB cards will have higher recommendations.

Depends entirely on how silly overclocked they come out of the box. A bunch of the "sane" tier models are going with the same 750W recommendation, and even that's likely to be overkill (as it almost always is). It'll be interesting to see some in depth reviews of transient spikes, but there's no reason to think that a moderately undervolted 4080 can't be done on a 600W PSU from what they've released so far.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 21, 2022

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
extrapolating downward it looks like the mid tier cards will be perfectly fine, pixels per watt still improving like usual. amd may have a serious advantage in sff this gen if they manage convincing efficiency leads in both cpu and gpu tho

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrDork posted:

Also, yes, watercooling the FE PCB is the correct answer if you want a real small footprint--same as it was for Ampere.

I wish I had done this from the get-go with my 3080, could have had a nice loop for the past year or two in a smaller case instead of banking on jumping to 4080.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Did you guys also hear about the 12-pin cables melting, especially when pinched? Sounds much more likely in SFF.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

Did you guys also hear about the 12-pin cables melting, especially when pinched? Sounds much more likely in SFF.

News to me, but poo poo like this tends to be a result of cheap manufacturers daisy-chaining cables that should not be tied together. I'm pretty sure there were some undervolt situations with the early 30xx cards caused by the PCI-E cables only having one connection at the PSU end but two at the GPU end.

Or maybe I've got COVID memory who knows? Point is people gently caress around and find out with electricity and learn real quick why you don't do that if you don't know what you're doing--it will happily set your house on fire.

fake edit: I should be specific and say that manufacturers should assume customers are not electricians and not design their products in such a way that a customer can connect them out-of-spec without serious effort.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do not ever gently caress with electricity. I use the cords that came with the PSU or I don't use the PSU.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p48T1Mo9D3Q

Anyway, I think SFF enthusiasts will have to use a wait and see strategy. I recently went up to an mATX case though and bought an 850W SFX PSU, so maybe it'll all work out for me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just put a "RTX™ 6000 Ada Generation" in your SFF computer :v:

Which apparently inherited the insane naming scheme of the old Titan cards, makes sense as a workstation GPU I guess?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Nvidia really putting the "discrete" in "discrete GPU"

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

e: wait how is the display working when the tower isn't plugged in

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

It's got that 1 FPS going on. One frame per sticker.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
DLSS doesn't seem to be making any difference

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Is there any site that does PC case reviews at a similar quality & consistency level go GN, but with smaller cases?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

This would sit in my local electronics shop with a printed sign saying "No this cannot run Minecraft, do not buy it for Minecraft"

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is there any site that does PC case reviews at a similar quality & consistency level go GN, but with smaller cases?

Optimum Tech is the closest and focused on SFF.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Optimum Tech has a pretty different approach to case reviews. The host, Ali, doesn't really focus too much on making strictly apples-to-apples comparisons, and he's more focused on showing you what the best way to build in each case is and what they can do when at their maximum potential. Which is probably the right way to approach SFF case reviews, imo. That said, it seems he hasn't reviewed too many SFF cases recently. Maybe he's getting bored of the SFF scene since most new products are just refined versions of older ones. This is his latest overview of the sff market:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWKATJXOLZ4

But it doesn't include some recent cases like the lian li q58

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 24, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The genius who built one of my PC cases just did a fuckin' awesome SSF build with his brother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FW2prXhIis

Carbon fiber, titanium, oiled wood, 3.4 liters with an RTX A2000 and full AC GaN PSU in it. He also shared the project files.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I’m considering building an air cooled Intel 13700K/7700X + 4090 AIO machine that can sit on a desk - this would purely be for gaming

The SSUPD meshlicious looks interesting - are there any other tall but small base area cases out there?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Zero VGS posted:

The genius who built one of my PC cases just did a fuckin' awesome SSF build with his brother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FW2prXhIis

Carbon fiber, titanium, oiled wood, 3.4 liters with an RTX A2000 and full AC GaN PSU in it. He also shared the project files.

this is beautiful

shrike82 posted:

I’m considering building an air cooled Intel 13700K/7700X + 4090 AIO machine that can sit on a desk - this would purely be for gaming

The SSUPD meshlicious looks interesting - are there any other tall but small base area cases out there?

Phantek evolve shift?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

shrike82 posted:

There's a new case from the Meshilicious designer in collaboration with Streacom:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/freeflow-collection-by-ncase-streacom.17834/

Just FYI SSUPD screwed the designer on a contract so morales might interfere there.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtvAI-XTdfk

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

shrike82 posted:

I quite liked building in the Hyte Revolt 3.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I know nothing about small form factor PCs and the op is pretty out of date I think, so I'm looking for advice here.

Once I upgrade my gpu I'm going to use my hoard of old parts to build, hopefully, a small form factor PC. The goal is to have it take the place of a laptop I have driving a projector and just be a little Debian box hooked up to the projector instead.

My old parts I plan to put into it are;
a rzyen 3700x
this 2070 super
A rog strix 650w PSU
A noctua nh-u12s with the standard 2 nf-f12s strapped to it (this is negotiable, while I'd like to reuse the heatsink if I gotta replace it with something else no big deal.)
And, probably the biggest issue, 2 3 1/2 inch hdds, and if I have room to stack more in there in the future that'd be good. Being that this is connected to my projector it needs storage, and it'd be nice to have it do double duty as a nas.

And then there's other stuff like the ram I got and an m.2 drive but that's not gonna matter I imagine.

So, that leaves me with a mobo and case to buy. Given all this, what am I looking at as far as the smallest I can go? I see all this itx and mini ATX etc stuff and I have no idea how big each is or what would reasonably work with what I need.

What should I look for when buying a case? I'm open to suggestions (though I'm not looking to spend a lot on this) but, I live in China, so a lot of things available elsewhere might be unavailable here or cost a lot more.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Your requirement for hard drives makes things tricky.

Fractal Node 304 https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/node/node-304/black/
Fractal Core 500 https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/core/core-500/black/
Cooler Master nr200 (cooler just barely fits) https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mini-itx/masterbox-nr200/
Silverstone Sugo 14 https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/computer-chassis/SUGO14/

Off the top of my head. Im sure others will chime in. If you go AIO then you gain more choices.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I can update the OP. It’s probably not as out of date as you think but there are a few nice newer cases and everyone is making PSU’s now.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

BrainDance posted:

I know nothing about small form factor PCs and the op is pretty out of date I think, so I'm looking for advice here.

Once I upgrade my gpu I'm going to use my hoard of old parts to build, hopefully, a small form factor PC. The goal is to have it take the place of a laptop I have driving a projector and just be a little Debian box hooked up to the projector instead.

My old parts I plan to put into it are;
a rzyen 3700x
this 2070 super
A rog strix 650w PSU
A noctua nh-u12s with the standard 2 nf-f12s strapped to it (this is negotiable, while I'd like to reuse the heatsink if I gotta replace it with something else no big deal.)
And, probably the biggest issue, 2 3 1/2 inch hdds, and if I have room to stack more in there in the future that'd be good. Being that this is connected to my projector it needs storage, and it'd be nice to have it do double duty as a nas.

And then there's other stuff like the ram I got and an m.2 drive but that's not gonna matter I imagine.

So, that leaves me with a mobo and case to buy. Given all this, what am I looking at as far as the smallest I can go? I see all this itx and mini ATX etc stuff and I have no idea how big each is or what would reasonably work with what I need.

What should I look for when buying a case? I'm open to suggestions (though I'm not looking to spend a lot on this) but, I live in China, so a lot of things available elsewhere might be unavailable here or cost a lot more.
the two relatively mainstream small board sizes are "mini-ITX" and "microATX" and basically, if you do not need to put anything besides a graphics card in a pci-e slot, mini-ITX is enough. microATX is in kind of a weird market spot where there's not a lot of great reasons not to go up or down from that size so mini-ITX tends to get more board designs to choose from. similarly, there's a standard size called mini-DTX that some fairly notable people in sff think would be better than -ITX, since it would free up just enough options to alleviate the most pressing design compromises, but since the demand for these boards comes from people who know they want to go smaller, it's even less popular than mATX and it's hard to justify investing in design and manufacture for it. be aware that mini-ITX boards only have 2 slots for ram, whereas i think mATX can go either 2 or 4

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

BrainDance posted:

Do you need the GPU? Alot of the larger sff cases can use the area that would end up being used for the GPU as extra space and you can jury-rig something to place the HDDs. I use a lian li tu150 and it could easily accommodate 3 HDDs if I didn't have a GPU in there. If you could find a EVGA hadron it can accommodate 2 HDDs and a GPU due to it's funky psu. But that case is 7 years old now.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

VulgarandStupid posted:

I can update the OP. It’s probably not as out of date as you think but there are a few nice newer cases and everyone is making PSU’s now.

Yeah, I just assumed it was since, SA megathreads. I'll go give it a deeper read now that I know it's not ancient.

Coredump posted:

Off the top of my head. Im sure others will chime in. If you go AIO then you gain more choices.

Man, these cases look like I could squeeze the hdds in there. I am not above just taping stuff to a weird spot in the case where hdds shouldn't be. But, I'm sure it's different in person when I actually gotta do it.

An AIO would be doable if that frees up some space for the drives.

this allusion meant posted:

the two relatively mainstream small board sizes are "mini-ITX" and "microATX"

Thanks, this actually clears things up a lot. 2 sticks of ram is my plan anyway. So then, mATX is bigger than mini-ITX? If mini-ITX is mini, what even is normal ITX? Either way, would mATX give me more space for those drives?

ughhhh posted:

Do you need the GPU?

Yeah, the GPU is kinda necessary for a couple reasons. The main motivation for building this is the old laptop, with an mx130, doesn't seem capable of driving the projector at 1080p 120hz. And, I emulate stuff on it and stream games to it through gamestream to moonlight, which is not a GPU intensive thing but still wanna be able to do it without having to worry about added latency from decoding or something.

Also the 3700x doesn't have an integrated GPU. I could buy another smaller gpu for it but then it sorta stops being my "computer I built from parts I already have" and it took enough to convince my wife to let me get a 4090, if I start buying a bunch of new stuff for this she's gonna get pissed.

But also I want this to not be a full size build because if it's small enough to just squeeze under the desk, and the only display is the projector, then I got my desk space in the theater room cleared up for my next projects, crt tv + raspberry pi powered UHF tv station playing tv from the 90s and a crt monitor next to it with the best win9x machine I can build. Gonna also run a proxy that routes all internet through archive.org on the pi and hopefully a strict enough firewall to not make it insane getting the 9x machine online, and bam it's my dream room from 1998. 😎

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

BrainDance posted:

Man, these cases look like I could squeeze the hdds in there. I am not above just taping stuff to a weird spot in the case where hdds shouldn't be. But, I'm sure it's different in person when I actually gotta do it.

An AIO would be doable if that frees up some space for the drives.

Thanks, this actually clears things up a lot. 2 sticks of ram is my plan anyway. So then, mATX is bigger than mini-ITX? If mini-ITX is mini, what even is normal ITX? Either way, would mATX give me more space for those drives?
If you wanted to go all out on 3.5 inch drives... https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/computer-chassis/CS330/

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

BrainDance posted:

mITX can handle a beefy GPU or a bunch of 3.5 drives but not both at the same time (or at least, not well). Sounds like you'd be better served by something like a FD Define Mini.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

BrainDance posted:

ITX is just shorthand for mITX. There's no difference. Also you need to be careful to differentiate between boards and cases when you're talking about space - mITX motherboards have plenty of SATA ports to connect your drives, it's just down to the actual room you have in the case. You could put a mITX motherboard in a huge case and stuff it with drives if you wanted.

Needing two 3.5" drives limits you from the smallest possible mITX cases but the larger ones, like the nr200 or SSUPD meshlicious, will fit them in no problem. The nr200 has 1 official 3.5" slot but (depending on the thickness) you could easily mount another one to the front panel or on the bottom of the case.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Most mITX boards that have a free PCI-e x16 slot and can support 12+ SATA / SAS drives tend to be boards meant for business (Intel Xeon D series comes to mind) rather than gaming. The bigger issue is likely that you'll need a case that can fit all that stuff and that leaves mostly mATX cases such as the Node 804. The big worry is really thermals for the likely thirst GPU and space for a reasonable cooler for the CPU. In an enterprise setting you're probably rackmounting it all and shoving jet fans at 10k+ RPM with something like an SSL accelerator or a data plane card for maybe 100 GbE in the PCI-e x16 slot.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
:laffo: Asus wants almost €400 for the Asus ROG Strix B650E-I Gaming WIFI, and MSI wants $240 for the MSI MPG B650I Edge WIFI so that's going to be close to €300. This is hilarious.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Everything in the ASUS ROG Strix line is hilariously overpriced.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

The Apple of consumer PC hardware.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

The higher end SKUs are hilariously overpriced, but I've often found that there's always a SKU that supports whatever weird requirement I might want in a motherboard (8x SATA, 2.5Gbe, 2x m.2, etc).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I think for my next PC I'm going to be able to spend some money on it (also applying for a new job with a signing bonus so maybe that will help!)

I'm only seeing SFX-L ATX 3.0 power supplies (SP850 from Lian Li). Are there going to be STX versions? I would like to do a 40 series card if possible and I know I don't need a 3.0 PSU but I would LIKE one.

I'm really excited because normally I do incremental upgrades so I spend the money over time, but I think this time I'm going to just go all out!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

SalTheBard posted:

I'm only seeing SFX-L ATX 3.0 power supplies (SP850 from Lian Li). Are there going to be STX versions? I would like to do a 40 series card if possible and I know I don't need a 3.0 PSU but I would LIKE one.

https://summit.coolermaster.com/chronos/advanced-computing/v-sfx-platinum/

Coolermaster are doing 1100 and 1300W PSUs in both SFX and SFX-L with the new PCIe 5.0 connector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Butterfly Valley posted:

https://summit.coolermaster.com/chronos/advanced-computing/v-sfx-platinum/

Coolermaster are doing 1100 and 1300W PSUs in both SFX and SFX-L with the new PCIe 5.0 connector

holy poo poo! I was not expecting that. Thanks for the link