Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This thread being sticky'd had me hopeful that the income form has gone live. I'm guessing if it hasn't happened yet it probably won't be today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I stickied for visibility but as soon as it's live I'll change the title

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I sent in pslf waiver forms over a month ago and have not heard back a single thing. Don’t know if they even received them. They’re saying up to 3 months processing time. I dunno how that’s gonna work if there are any erroneous denials due to employer verification or what not. Everything postmarked by oct 31 supposedly counts though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The French Army posted:

Is there a list of what states are going to tax the federal loan forgiveness as income? I heard some are but some aren't.

There's 19 states where it is either up to the department of revenue or the legislature to include a provision in their budget on whether to follow the federal government's lead.

So far, the states that have announced that they plan to tax the forgiveness are:

- Indiana
- Arkansas
- Mississippi

The following states have laws requiring them to tax the forgiveness, but the governors say they will include a provision in the 2023 budget that exempts it.

- Wisconsin (Unclear if Republican legislature will support)
- Minnesota (Legislature will support)
- North Carolina (Unclear if legislature will support)
- California (they say that California law already requires loan forgiveness be tax free, but only if part of an income-driven loan. Governor and legislature both say they will exempt in 2023 budget if law doesn't apply to current forgiveness)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks for sticking and managing the thread. Fingers crossed republicans don’t ruin this. I can definitely benefit from having 15k wiped out.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

buglord posted:

Thanks for sticking and managing the thread. Fingers crossed republicans don’t ruin this. I can definitely benefit from having 15k wiped out.

My dude, they wiped out over a million

E: Oh sorry thought this was the Covid thread

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Is the form up yet to submit for it ? It just says October?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Is the form up yet to submit for it ? It just says October?

Not yet. I haven’t heard anything else besides “October”. Hopefully sooner than later.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Thanks for answering everything I had in mind. It's surreal that I got an undergrad and graduate degree at state schools for what now amounts to the price of a monthly media streaming budget. The $20k discount didn't matter that much to me, but the IDR plan is a life saver. Stoked.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had read that if I already filed my taxes in 2020 and 2021, I pretty much don't need to worry about anything, all of this should be taken care of automatically, is this true or we don't really know yet?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Are you on a pay as you earn repayment plan?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

buglord posted:

Are you on a pay as you earn repayment plan?

I've been on the normal default payment plan for the last 6 years, so whatever Great Lakes sets it to once you graduate from college. But I have been very privileged to be able to pay off basically all of the interest and a bunch of the loans already, I got my student loan from $56,000 down to $16,000 and then stopped because I didn't need to start paying it back again until sometime in 2024 because I was so far ahead (they called me and acted very annoyed because the profit is in the interest, they were not happy about what i was doing lol), and also because the pandemic putting a freeze.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I said come in! posted:

I had read that if I already filed my taxes in 2020 and 2021, I pretty much don't need to worry about anything, all of this should be taken care of automatically, is this true or we don't really know yet?

Only if you provided your taxes to the DOE or verified your income with them in some way for 2020 or 2021 (FAFSA, IBR certification, etc.).

Just filing them to the IRS doesn't mean it will happen automatically.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Only if you provided your taxes to the DOE or verified your income with them in some way for 2020 or 2021 (FAFSA, IBR certification, etc.).

Just filing them to the IRS doesn't mean it will happen automatically.

Thank you, that answers my question. I will have some paperwork to fill out then.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Forgive me if this was already thoroughly answered but all this information is overwhelming. I’ve been doing PSLF and income based repayment for a few years. I have federal grad loans that just switched to MOHELA. I can’t get them on the phone to see what they need me to submit that hasn’t been transferred. The unskippable intro announcement takes a hundred years and then the wait times are like 1-2 hours.

Should I recert my income and upload it? Will I still be making ungodly high monthly payments like before or will the disposal income thing someone mentioned apply?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

KIT HAGS posted:

Forgive me if this was already thoroughly answered but all this information is overwhelming. I’ve been doing PSLF and income based repayment for a few years. I have federal grad loans that just switched to MOHELA. I can’t get them on the phone to see what they need me to submit that hasn’t been transferred. The unskippable intro announcement takes a hundred years and then the wait times are like 1-2 hours.

Should I recert my income and upload it? Will I still be making ungodly high monthly payments like before or will the disposal income thing someone mentioned apply?

The new IDR plan isn't available until May/June 2023. When it is, then you can switch over.

You could apply for a current IBR plan that has a 10% disposable income cap instead.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
What if i defaulted and the irs took my tax returns from previous years for my student loan debt. Can i refund that poo poo!?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

What if i defaulted and the irs took my tax returns from previous years for my student loan debt. Can i refund that poo poo!?

Not unless they were your 2021 tax refund and they somehow accidentally collected them during them student loan pause.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
>:^I

Man

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I didnt even know you could default on your student loan, I thought that wasn't possible.

naem
May 29, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I didnt even know you could default on your student loan, I thought that wasn't possible.

same, I would have given up years ago

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I said come in! posted:

What did you think happens if you refuse to pay them?

To be fair, it is pretty hard to get them into default if you are trying not to. You usually have to go at least 270 days without paying, not contact your lender, have no extenuating circumstances, and not set up a payment plan with your lender.

It usually happens when people just stop paying and don't contact the lender/ignore their calls and mail.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Email from DOE said that applications would be open “later this month”

I want it now please :negative:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

buglord posted:

Email from DOE said that applications would be open “later this month”

I want it now please :negative:

DOE asked for an expedited ruling on the injunction request from the 6 Republican states that are suing. They promised not to forgive any student debt before the October 17th ruling in the filing.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the form won't go up until then, but it is possible that it is delayed until after the 17th.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So do injunctions basically stop things from going forward until they’re settled in court? And if that’s the case, if the ruling is delivered by the 17th saying the loans can be forgiven, can another Republican state or entity place another injunction right after?

Also what are the chances the courts side with the 6 states

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

buglord posted:

So do injunctions basically stop things from going forward until they’re settled in court? And if that’s the case, if the ruling is delivered by the 17th saying the loans can be forgiven, can another Republican state or entity place another injunction right after?

Also what are the chances the courts side with the 6 states

- If they do get an injunction, yes.

- If they don't, then they can't implement another one from a different lawsuit.

- I'd say probably low, but who knows? The judge is a GWB appointee, but was a largely uncontroversial local judge in Missouri before he was nominated.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought it was pretty much impossible to stop an executive order from the president, but I guess we will find out soon enough! Also since these are federal loans, why would states even care? What right do they have to even challenge this?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

I said come in! posted:

I didn’t pay my student loans for a long rear end time because I was dirt poor and that led to being threatened with loan default in Jan 2020. Then March happened and loan repayment was paused indefinitely. Now I get to huck all that stupid debt into the ocean with my old car batteries.

So what I’m trying to say is thank you pandemic for the perfect timing and clearing 17k!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Probably a profoundly dumb question, but are Great Lakes-serviced loans federal or private? I would like to not owe any money.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Probably a profoundly dumb question, but are Great Lakes-serviced loans federal or private? I would like to not owe any money.

federal, I’m almost certain. You can check by logging into your account at either greatlakes or studentaid.gov and seeing if the titles have “dept of education - greatlakes ” in them

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I said come in! posted:

I thought it was pretty much impossible to stop an executive order from the president, but I guess we will find out soon enough! Also since these are federal loans, why would states even care? What right do they have to even challenge this?

Because the GOP platform is based entirely upon not allowing Biden to achieve anything whatsoever.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I have a Parent Plus loan for my youngest son. He also has some Sallie Mae loans in his name. According to the Parent Plus loan servicer, because we are technically two different borrowers we will both be eligible for the $10k. That sounds too good to be true.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I have a Parent Plus loan for my youngest son. He also has some Sallie Mae loans in his name. According to the Parent Plus loan servicer, because we are technically two different borrowers we will both be eligible for the $10k. That sounds too good to be true.

Nope. That is accurate. As long as neither of you made more than $125k or $250k (filing jointly) in 2020 or 2021, then you both are considered distinct borrowers and eligible for a separate forgiveness for each loan.

naem
May 29, 2011

Reiche posted:

I didn’t pay my student loans for a long rear end time because I was dirt poor and that led to being threatened with loan default in Jan 2020. Then March happened and loan repayment was paused indefinitely. Now I get to huck all that stupid debt into the ocean with my old car batteries.

So what I’m trying to say is thank you pandemic for the perfect timing and clearing 17k!

it’s a christmas miracle

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

I said come in! posted:

I defaulted like half a decade ago because I was a dumb anxious kid who just ghosted any and all loan paperwork after roughly four years of community college. at some point they just started taking my tax refund every year and I've always been a broke bitch so I just kind of... uhhh.. got used to the idea of never seeing one again for the next twenty years :hmmyes:

Then COVID happened and I was pleasantly surprised to actually have refunds again, tbh I thought they'd made a mistake or something initially until I found out about the pause thing. It's looking like I might actually qualify for the full 20k so definitely bookmarking this for future reference

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

Its a nifty trick i call "being unemployed for over 2 years with zero income"

Who woulda guessed going to school doesn't guarantee a job!

But anyway, yes plz pay my debt mr prez

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
That September 29th deadline on FFEL loans owned privately (Navient) is a kick in the balls.

The problem with a direct loan was I could not get any solid info if just moving it through theh dept of edu to Aidvantage would do it.
So I waited instead of possibly just moving it and goofing things up..

And now I got screwed.

This is generating so much hate.

naem
May 29, 2011

it’s weird because, if we consolidated a former federal loan away from a private ffelp into an eligible loan type, the services of the ffelp would get cash. Like the new consolidation company would pay them.

the former private ffelp firm would miss out on some years of interest though so I guess gently caress us, random cut off date

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Smuggins posted:

This is generating so much hate.

Don’t blame the people actually trying to do it for all the people left behind. Blame the people who don’t want loan forgiveness at all, and are trying to kneecap it an make it painful as possible in order to generate hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

poisonpill posted:

Don’t blame the people actually trying to do it for all the people left behind. Blame the people who don’t want loan forgiveness at all, and are trying to kneecap it an make it painful as possible in order to generate hate.

Yeah, the people trying to stop this are massively evil.