Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mameluke posted:

I'm here because this show shits on the legendarium and I find peoples' arguments about how it doesn't to be really tortured and spurious.

I would like people to think of Tolkien's works as he and his son actually made them, not whatever Jeff thinks is four-quadrant enough, but money has a flattening effect.

edit: see the dragon show, which is much better than its predecessor for its marked effort to actually put George's writing on screen

Ok I guess there is ONE guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
HotD is fine, its a complete different show theres no use in comparing them IMO. Theyre both good in the context of the goals they are going for.

I mentioned it earlier but HotD is just endless lovely people doing lovely things for the most petty reasons and I dont like a single character in the entire show. Its just awful people being awful for the dumbest reasons and its missing a ton of the rich character tapestry of GoT where you actually laughed every now and then, or smiled or showed even any flinching moment of joy in a really hosed up world. Its what made the muck barable, you wanted certain prople to succeed despite of it. HotD is just constant muck with every character drowning in it.

That said, none of this makes it a bad show at all. I enjoy it fine enough and theres so much incredible acting in it.

Personally just think the style of fantasy that RoP is just entirely more enjoyable and interesting to watch right now. I like a lot of the people. Im rooting for them. I cant say the same for HotD.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
HotD also isn't much of a fantasy show. The dragons may as well just be tactical nukes or machine guns or some other type of rare weapon of mass destruction and the rest is just political scheming. It's pretty good at what it does but it's definitely a different type of show than RoP.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Moltke posted:

If this is so prevalent, then report the posts, don't engage the poster, and move on. You don't need to be screaming about this.

I reported those posts when they happened and it took the mod like two weeks to do anything and then they ignored most of them bc it had been too long since they happened lol

The show is fine but not amazing. I care about both the storylines in this last episode the least of them all so this episode was kind of boring. Well, I like the Numenoreans and Galadriel but the southlanders are boring. Glad they finally gave blue dress woman a cardigan though. She always looked underdressed to me.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 6, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Galadriel is fine, you're supposed to buckle in and watch her mature over a few centuries into a person who wouldn't just genocide every orc the second she got the ring.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eej posted:

Galadriel is fine, you're supposed to buckle in and watch her mature over a few centuries into a person who wouldn't just genocide every orc the second she got the ring.

I'm not watching this show for centuries...

I assume they are going to jump time between seasons, even though they can't be more than a hundred years or so before the end of the Second Age, right? I wonder if they're going to recast Isildur. Oh that reminds me: the stupidest thing on the show is calling him "Isil" it's a terrible nickname. Iz or Izzy is what it would be

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey Moony, we're going shopping, get in loser

OK God-lover, move you're in my seat

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

There should have been 3 or 4 badass elves and you don't know which one is the real Galadriel

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

AccountSupervisor posted:

HotD is fine, its a complete different show theres no use in comparing them IMO. Theyre both good in the context of the goals they are going for.

I mentioned it earlier but HotD is just endless lovely people doing lovely things for the most petty reasons and I dont like a single character in the entire show. Its just awful people being awful for the dumbest reasons and its missing a ton of the rich character tapestry of GoT where you actually laughed every now and then, or smiled or showed even any flinching moment of joy in a really hosed up world. Its what made the muck barable, you wanted certain prople to succeed despite of it. HotD is just constant muck with every character drowning in it.

That said, none of this makes it a bad show at all. I enjoy it fine enough and theres so much incredible acting in it.

Personally just think the style of fantasy that RoP is just entirely more enjoyable and interesting to watch right now. I like a lot of the people. Im rooting for them. I cant say the same for HotD.

Oops! All Galadriels

If Galadriel is Sauron I will take back everything bad I said about this show

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

i say swears online posted:

i'm just shocked a star war is currently running circles around this show in writing, directing, and characterization. also not enough dwarves

To be fair, it took nearly 40 years for a good Star Wars.

PoR is doing a better job than Droids and Ewoks.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

After you've sat thru the drivel of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan - you can handle anything. This show is nowhere near as bad as those. It kinda drags it's rear end but overall it's pretty good.

yeah to be fair I only made it 1 episode into boba fett and 3 eps into obiwan, made it to 5 in rop!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

moths posted:

To be fair, it took nearly 40 years for a good Star Wars.

PoR is doing a better job than Droids and Ewoks.

The first one was pretty good, where are you putting that bar?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

koolkal posted:

Oops! All Galadriels

If Galadriel is Sauron I will take back everything bad I said about this show

doing what the wheel of time show teased at and commit to it. sauradriel plz

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Ginette Reno posted:

Depends what the expectations are I guess. It's significantly better than The Hobbit films. At times better than lotr, at times worse. imo anyways
I'm in the midst of Battle of the Five Armies right now and Jesus shittin' Christ this might be worse than Rise of Skywalker.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Abner Assington posted:

I'm in the midst of Battle of the Five Armies right now and Jesus shittin' Christ this might be worse than Rise of Skywalker.

I saw all the Lord of the Rings and the first two Hobbits multiple times in theaters. I saw BoFA once, walked out and have never been more upset about a film. poo poo was SO bad

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BoFA is not the worst movie I've ever seen (There's a base level of film-making competence, WETA and Howard Shore bring it like always, etc), but it is the most miserable theatrical experience I've had. Just a joyless slog of a film.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Bugblatter posted:

BoFA is not the worst movie I've ever seen (There's a base level of film-making competence, WETA and Howard Shore bring it like always, etc), but it is the most miserable theatrical experience I've had. Just a joyless slog of a film.

I legit feel bad for Peter Jackson that he got backed into a corner to make two films into three. I think two films would have been fine.The video of him admitting they had no idea what the last film was gonna be and were making it up as they went makes the movie make a lot of sense.

I also think Jackson directing those films int he first place was a mistake, but again, he was kind of backed into a corner when Del Toro walked away.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I legit feel bad for Peter Jackson that he got backed into a corner to make two films into three. I think two films would have been fine.The video of him admitting they had no idea what the last film was gonna be and were making it up as they went makes the movie make a lot of sense.

I also think Jackson directing those films int he first place was a mistake, but again, he was kind of backed into a corner when Del Toro walked away.

This is a narrative that's become popular, but PJ and Fran Walsh are the ones who pitched expanding the two movies to three to Warner Brothers, not the other way around. Del Toro reportedly walked away because PJ wasn't giving him the freedom to do his own thing, as PJ as the producer wanted something more cohesive with his trilogy. He put himself into that corner.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

This is a narrative that's become popular, but PJ and Fran Walsh are the ones who pitched expanding the two movies to three to Warner Brothers, not the other way around. Del Toro reportedly walked away because PJ wasn't giving him the freedom to do his own thing, as PJ as the producer wanted something more cohesive with his trilogy. He put himself into that corner.

He also kind of helped destroy New Zealand's film industry with the various NZ tax fuckeries he help champion in order to make The Hobbit. He basically went from Industry Hero to Villain in the span of a few short years.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
If we actually got movie/book Galadriel she’d be the most boring character for this much screen time. It works in LoTR because there’s a few very important moments, but I’d rather not have to listen to that stuff for five seasons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

rkd_ posted:

If we actually got movie/book Galadriel she’d be the most boring character for this much screen time. It works in LoTR because there’s a few very important moments, but I’d rather not have to listen to that stuff for five seasons.

Also some of her best moments in the trilogy are when she's being creepy and antagonistic as gently caress because she's struggling with a fuckton of demons herself and is barely holding it together. Her telling Adar she's going to exterminate the Orcs John Wick style and make him watch the last one draw it's final breath isn't that far off in tone and intent from "In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a QWEEEEEEEEEEEEN:pcgaming: etc., etc."

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/TolkienGuide/status/1577806889684901888

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

QWEEEEEEEEEEEEN:pcgaming:

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Abner Assington posted:

Even though An Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug are already flawed films, the drop off with Battle of the Fives Armies is jarring. I think thats definitely the one that good screwed the most by stretching it from 2 films to 3. I prefer it to The Rise of Skywalker though because the opening with Smaug is fun and its got Lee Pace being the sexiest and greatest elf ever in it. Also I think J.J. Abrams and his inspired copycats/acolytes are some of the worst things thats happened to Hollywood this century.

Bugblatter posted:

I thought Del Toro walked away because of ongoing rights issues with MGM at the time that he lost patience with? I dunno I might be misremembering something, I haven't read about it since those movies were in theaters.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

ugh, spoilers!!!

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
So I keep seeing "50 episodes" thrown about casually by everyone. Also referenced to there being 5 seasons.
This made complete sense to me when I thought it was a normal 10 episode season, but it's 8?
Help me with this math please? :psyboom:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

For some reason I was thinking it was ten-episode seasons, but obviously I am wrong.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

So I keep seeing "50 episodes" thrown about casually by everyone. Also referenced to there being 5 seasons.
This made complete sense to me when I thought it was a normal 10 episode season, but it's 8?

The contract is for 50 episodes, with the expectation of them being mostly divided into 5 seasons. However, season one wound up being plotted for 8 episodes. So maybe we’ll get two 11 episode seasons, one 12 episode season, or maybe two episodes will be left on the table.

Gresh posted:

I thought Del Toro walked away because of ongoing rights issues with MGM at the time that he lost patience with? I dunno I might be misremembering something, I haven't read about it since those movies were in theaters.

MGM had the rights to The Hobbit and approached New Line about a partnership that allowed them to use PJ's LotR iconography. I don't recall any disputes after the deal was struck, though Miramax did file a lawsuit over the rights after An Unexpected Journey was released. Ongoing delays were the official reason given for del Toro's departure, but the inability of del Toro to find creative common ground with Jackson and New Line was said to be the reason for the failure to start production. Publicly, neither have said anything ill of the others by name. The closest we have on anything from the horse's mouth is del Toro saying, years later, that he regretted having wasted years on the project when he should have realized he would never have creative control much earlier.

Edit: I have found articles from the period in which del Toro named MGM's ongoing sale as possibly delaying the green light, though the journalist covering it casts doubt on the statement, noting that the production start date had not changed even with del Toro's departure. It would be odd for a studio handover to delay a production like that, but who really knows?

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 6, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bruceski posted:

The first one was pretty good, where are you putting that bar?

I was thinking "star wars television show" but left the important part out. There's been a lot of bad star wars tv leading up to today's shows.

The first movie was good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I think "the audience needs someone from one of the films to be connected to the show" is really selling people short. It's the same thing that made PJ use Saruman on Caradrhas.
Let it ride, people are here for the setting not for the specific people.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Eh, it's a tolerable cinematic change from Tolkien's original idea that the mountain was more or less a living thing and permanently pissed off at everyone.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

50 hours, across 8 episode seasons, some episodes are/will be notably longer.

The (current, new) rights were sold on the premise that the rights for a tv show '8 episodes or under' were not automatically bundled with the other tv show and movie rights when they were sold in the 70s. Tolkien Estate realised they had a goldmine they still controlled after JRR sold off almost all the other rights (except silmarillion) before he died, so they shopped them around and amazon got the winning bid.

Of course, depending on the writing for future seasons they might bump up the total hours if required.

Or hell, they can easily make a spinoff show or another show set in another age with the rights they hold, so don't rule out a sequel series in 5 years time and maybe by then the estate will sell the silmarillion rights for a topup payment when the moneytrain runs out.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Jaxyon posted:

And as far as I can see, the issue isn't just "Sauron killed my brother and I want revenge", it's that she's traumatized by all the horrors she's seen and projecting that trauma onto Sauron and by extension anyone who allies with him and anyone who gets in her way.

Soldiers being traumatized by their experience in war is a fairly well explored subtext of Tokien's writing.

i've never read the silmarillion and don't really care if galadriel is or isn't like the book version. however i don't think the tv show has done a good job of showing us the horrors she saw and how those horrors traumatized her. i might just be bad at tv watching. could you have an example of like. 2 or 3 scenes that show us those horrors?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jinnigan posted:

i've never read the silmarillion and don't really care if galadriel is or isn't like the book version. however i don't think the tv show has done a good job of showing us the horrors she saw and how those horrors traumatized her. i might just be bad at tv watching. could you have an example of like. 2 or 3 scenes that show us those horrors?

she got really dizzy in the latest episode after dipping off her horse like 20 times to dodge stuff

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

distortion park posted:

dipping off her horse like 20 times to dodge stuff

The Noldo Manoeuvre.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Gresh posted:

Lee Pace being the sexiest and greatest elf ever in it.

I'd call him Adar any day.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Jinnigan posted:

It's not shown because they don't have the rights to that stuff.

It's told. Repeatedly.

If you want to say "tell not show" is not great TV making, you're right, but they don't have rights to show that stuff.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Also can't show Gadatriel just chilling with Melian for a few thousand years trying to write a song or contemplating a flower or maintaining a magical veil to make a whole elf kingdom just not really findable.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
At some point i'd like to see a complete breakdown of what they have the rights to, because it's clear now that they can get rights for specific bits of the Silmarillion if they ask pretty please to the Tolkien Estate. I feel like something like that would work to the benefit of the show (i'd be willing to forgivr some stuff i didn't like if i knew they ran into a confusing knot with the rights)

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
There’s not a whole lot to discuss from week to week about this show because the overall writing and characterization is very poor. You can say “I enjoy it” over and over but that does not really mean anything.
The writers intentionally withhold all sorts of information, and it leads to scenarios like the key blade that opens Mt. Doom. This is not a sequence of events that we could have guessed before because it was designed for us to not be able to guess. You can argue that it ultimately makes sense within the reality of the show, but it does not make a lot of narrative sense for a mystery object to be introduced and do something you didn’t even know was at risk of happening.
Same with the Harfoots. We know something will happen with the meteor guy, but it could be anything. Can anyone honestly make a guess, only using what the show has presented, as to what the Harfoots are doing? They just walk along and eventually will have conflict with their pursuers. But where’s the story? Where’s the character motivations?
The elves and dwarves have the closest thing to a story, but we still don’t know the motivations of several characters since that is being withheld for the sake of mystery.
Most of the plot happens through cliches and callbacks to the scenarios in the film, so it doesn’t stand on its own very well.
One of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, shows of all time is Deadwood. This was a show with very little happening in terms of overall plot from episode to episode. But they went through great lengths to make sure you knew exactly who the characters were and what they wanted in much less time than 6 episodes. This show has not done anything near that.
Game of Thrones season 1 has plenty of mystery and introduced lots of characters and I knew them all pretty well by episode 6. This hasn’t done anything like that either.