Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Transit tags if you want to do it right and not be hassled. Otherwise depending on the state you have a grace period between purchasing the car and plating it. DO NOT bring a plate from another car you own and slap it on there for the drive.

Guilty of this, from Ohio to Florida, but the plate was from one Miata to another so I didn't think it would be an issue and it wasn't. You can roll the dice depending on risk factor.

I tried transporting an XJ in NY without a plate from one town to another once and got busted right away :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

chrisgt posted:

just move to a better state, then all these problems simply go away.

Once you're out of states to move to, start country shopping.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

cursedshitbox posted:

Once you're out of states to move to, start country shopping.

i think i'll skip that and go to the moon or mars.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
God, I had the hardest time getting plates for my X1/9, I never actually got the metal ones, it just jumped from temp tag to temp tag until I couldn't park on the street anymore. First Wisconsin, then Illinois

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I drove around Albuquerque for several weeks in a lovely, smoking Mazda pickup with no license plates and didn't have any trouble... so anecdotally I wouldn't worry about going through New Mexico, whatever you choose to do.

If you do a fly-and-drive for a California car, the plates stay with the car, so you'd presumably be good to go?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Arizona won't give temporary tags to a car that isn't currently registered in the state, so with my last two fly-n-drives:

1. Blue BRZ from Oklahoma to Phoenix. Oklahoma wanted to keep the plates but also wouldn't give me a temporary. Previous owner was nice enough to let me drive the car home on his plates, I mailed them back.
2. White BRZ from San Francisco to Phoenix. You can't get a transit tag in Cali online, you have to go into the DMV in person, or so I was told. Previous owner let me keep the plates and I drove it home on them. I really, really didn't want to get pulled over in the car in California since it'd have gotten towed, but everything went fine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

i think i'll skip that and go to the moon or mars.

I wish this were an option. I'd even give up my car hobby for that.

For the states that won't let you keep the plates, and won't issue a transit tag, what exactly do they expect you to do?
Texas lets you get a short term transit tag, or a 30-day temp tag (like I did when it wouldn't pass emissions immediate) but here the catch: You can only get 3 30-day temp tags over the life of the car regardless of owner. I kind of get why, but making it on the car and not the owner seems dumb. Not that government ever has any shortage of dumb.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

For the states that won't let you keep the plates, and won't issue a transit tag, what exactly do they expect you to do?

Buy from a dealer. This is why those states don't issue transit tags: they're in the pocket of the dealer lobby.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

Buy from a dealer. This is why those states don't issue transit tags: they're in the pocket of the dealer lobby.

I'd believe that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Motronic posted:

this.

Also, I was at the Oklahoma DMV and they legit shrugged and told me they couldn't help :lol:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Darchangel posted:

I wish this were an option. I'd even give up my car hobby for that.

Texas lets you get a short term transit tag, or a 30-day temp tag (like I did when it wouldn't pass emissions immediate) but here the catch: You can only get 3 30-day temp tags over the life of the car regardless of owner. I kind of get why, but making it on the car and not the owner seems dumb. Not that government ever has any shortage of dumb.

In maine you can get, IIRC, a $12 transit tag that's good for a couple weeks. You're only supposed to use it for a one-way trip to your destination or something.... but yea, nobody does that. The problem is that you can't get them online and most DMVs and town offices hold banker's hours, so I used to just ride dirty anyway.
Now I have a truck and trailer, so I kinda forgot about this.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Motronic posted:

The dealer I bought my Alltrack from printed off a temporary tag good til halfway through September. This was in June.

..which I feel gives me an opportunity to run the europlate I've got for a while. Haven't gotten pulled over for it yet, not that it breaks any laws to have it up, as long as the proper registration is in its proper place.

I feel like a bit of a liar though, since this car was built in Puebla, Mexico and not Wolfsburg, Deutschland.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Interior color: black

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://youtu.be/zLjccAhdhL4

It's a fire sale

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

Interior color: black

Five. Thousand. Dollars.
For a burned up 20 year old loving Dakota.
Son, it ain't worth $5K running with good AC. Any value it might have had was in the drivetrain, and probably not that.

"no low bawlers" in direct opposition to "need it gone".

exterior color: white/burnt orange.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

chrisgt posted:

just move to a better state, then all these problems simply go away.

Normally I'd argue on the grounds of the fact I'm in a metro area that actually has a transit system but lol it is the MBTA in tyool 2022.

(I've moved since I last talked to you and have a job in downtown Boston now).

Now I'll just argue on the fact that MA is the best state to live in if you're transgender. And I'm transgender.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Wagon with rear-facing jumpseat spotted.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/d/portland-1989-pontiac-6000le-safari/7526825315.html

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm amazed that isn't listed for like 10K or something.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
PUT IT IN "H"!

Why yes, I did have an alert setup for the word "Yugo". I learned to drive stick in a Yugo. :colbert:

Imagined fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 20, 2022

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
How much of a money pit would this be if I wanted something to get some experience on engine-tuning? I kinda want something with a turbo that I can daily but also use in Street-Touring autox. German cars outside of warranty and all that.

I got the VIN (WAUKF78P79A052246) but no idea on what options it has yet.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I bring three things of tidings...

Love that international but its probably got those split rims...

Truck Number 1
https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/pinehurst-1980-toyota-pickup/7538817094.html

Truck Number 2
https://pullman.craigslist.org/cto/d/moscow-barn-find/7539037748.html

Truck Number 3
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/camas-1979-datsun-620-king-cap-truck/7536371883.html

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 30, 2022

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
How about a spotless first gen Explorer with a 5 speed

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/bellflower-1992-ford-explorer-rare/7528257100.html

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I owned a 54 international and it did not have split rims but it wasn't a dually so take that as you will.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My 56 S130 is a dually and has split rims so chances are good that one does.

Also I've been thinking about selling it if anyone wants a much prettier one than that 52.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Mustache Ride posted:

I owned a 54 international and it did not have split rims but it wasn't a dually so take that as you will.

I have a 54 with regular, but then some year 3/4 tons and 1 tons do. Like everything IHC those years, there are about infinite combinations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Why am I not surprised that *multiple* people on this forum have owned ‘50s Internationals?
Awesome.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I hope no one here has a 52 after I just kinda insulted it's looks

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1160739641491650/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I had a friend in middle school who’s mom had one of these. She called the the dealer for bring it in for service, and the dealership flat out refused to believe that it had a manual until she pulled up at the service department and the writer put eyes on it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I don't know if it will dethrone "I KNOW WUT I GOT" as my personal favorite thing to see in craigslist ads, but seen "GREAT FATHER SON PROJECT" is always fun to see on some shitpile that should have gone to the scrapper during the Clinton administration.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

MrYenko posted:

I had a friend in middle school who’s mom had one of these. She called the the dealer for bring it in for service, and the dealership flat out refused to believe that it had a manual until she pulled up at the service department and the writer put eyes on it.

I don't think I'd believe it either. I mean, it was based on the Ranger so it kind of makes sense, but that ad is the first time I've ever seen or heard of one. Apparently you could get it with an actual shifted transfer case as well. That'd be pretty neat.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

When I was in high school, my parents had a Ford Aerostar which was also based on the Ranger. The 4 speed auto was an option; it came standard with a 5speed manual.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Quote is not edit.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mr. Apollo posted:

When I was in high school, my parents had a Ford Aerostar which was also based on the Ranger. The 4 speed auto was an option; it came standard with a 5speed manual.

What a terrible choice. How am I supposed to reach back and smack my kid if I have to shift all the time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Aerostar was dope.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Ford brings you the Age of the Aerostar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3gnIML5-GM

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I still have very clear memories of being carted around in the back of an Aerostar as several friends’ parents had them

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I knew a guy who's dad had a windowless cargo Aerostar, he was a tv repairman.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
The Aerostar reminded me of the most 80s minivan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

The Aerostar reminded me of the most 80s minivan.

Saw one in mint loving condition when I was living in Ukraine. Was floored by it.

I bartered for an awd aerostar a long time ago with a digidash. Life got in the way of me ever getting it home.