Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Philthy posted:

New Hellraiser was just meh. They've made way worse, but.. I understand why it didn't make it to the theater. I did enjoy the building on the second movies lore - or at least showcasing some of it again.

Yeah agreed. It's fine but could've done with some more craziness or intensity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's more of a comedy about serial killers but it fits the halloween tone - did anyone here see the British dark comedy Sightseers? It's about a woman who goes on a caravan holiday with her new boyfriend to get away from her emotionally abusive mother, only to find out that he's a serial killer who murders people who personally offend him (his first victim in the film is a guy at a nice location that they go to who he catches littering, and when he calls him out he's an rear end in a top hat about it). It's got a very fun arc where she grows less and less stable so becomes a much more dangerous person than him because she's far more unpredictable and selfish so makes dumb mistakes that he'd never make. Disclaimer: There is an animal death, but it's right at the beginning as part of the backstory and it's actually a funny one due to how sudden and ridiculous it is. I laughed more out of shock and "Wait, what the hell?"

Just for those who want to be forewarned: The animal death is the protagonists Dog. She's just knitting on her couch one day with her dog beside her. The dog starts barking when the door goes, as they do, and when it opens the dog tries to jump at the new person, only to impale itself on a knitting needle as the main character has left her knitting to talk to him

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 8, 2022

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Sightseers is a cool film, the first film I ever watched with my wife when we just started going out. Her name is the same as the dog's which I found more amusing than she did, a miracle we got married when I look back.

I haven't seen the new Hellraiser yet, hopefully soon.

Yesterday I watched 2 films on Shudder as I try and maximise my October goodness by watching as many horror films as possible.

The Bay was a neat found footage film, I liked the plausibility of the premise but would have liked to see more gore: I suspect that might have been beyond the SFX budget.

The Cleansing Hour, I really enjoyed. I thought it was a well executed premise, the make up and SFX were top notch and I would happily watch it again. My only issue with it is I have a screenplay in development that has a similar premise and indeed a similar twist ending so that's a bummer.

Bacon Terrorist fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 8, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kvlt! posted:

I dug the new Hellraiser I thought it was great. Cenobites were wicked cool. Jamie Clayton did a great job as pinhead.

I do agree the main character is unlikeable and poorly written. I dont think it's the actresses fault but the script. An easy fix would have ben have the likeable brother be the main character and kill off the sister in his place.

Overall v good tho.

I really enjoyed the movie. My girlfriend who normally rarely puts her phone down during movies/TV was absolutely into the movie from start to finish.

I think it was kind of a fun move to make the main character kind of an unlikeable poo poo. She seemed like exactly the kind of person who would be tempted by the Cenobite "gifts" and Her denying them in the end was a nice little bow on her character arc. She's an addict who craves short term solutions and by denying them, overcame the flaw the movie set her up with, IMO..

I was a big fan of the look and tone of the film. The Cenobites were really good looking and (to my eyes at least) totally practical makeup and effects. First Prey, then Hellraiser - I guess Hulu is rapidly becoming the savior of poo poo I liked as a kid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Def practical cenobites for sure. They all looked really good. Even the cgi elements like that ones arms was pretty great

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Werewolf by night manages to have some of the worst cinematography of all of the MCU, somehow worse than even the Avengers? It's quite a feat. Maybe they should have watched those old movies they wanted to pay homage to.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Re: Hellraiser

Loved the Nu-Cenobite designs and the whole final act where apparently Leviathan has graduated to making housecalls once the puzzle box gets solved. The juxtaposition of it floating above the mansion grounds surrounded by vast hedge mazes was great.

Goran Višnjić is always such a great slimeball antagonist and he did a great job in this. I also thought “Hey, that other girl looks sort of familiar. Is she related to someone i’ve seen before?” and lo and behold, she’s Ciarán Hinds’ daughter.

I’d give this one a B-. Easily one of the better Hellraiser movies.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I wanted to like the new Hellraiser more than I actually did. As has been mentioned, it's the writing of the protagonists that let it down. It's been a couple years since I last watched the original but Frank and Julia just live in my mind rent free (in the attic, of course) - this reboot done a lot right when it comes to the costumes, effects and directing, but the characters are of a Hellraiser 11 quality. Handsome young people with vague addiction poo poo, a silly billionaire mansion plot device and there's a failure to get across the sadomasochistic ideas in a way that really gets under the skin in the same way the original does.

Felt like they got the tone, the cinematography and effects almost perfect. I really liked our new Pinhead and the cenobite designs. I hope this team get another crack at it, but with a good story.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I loved the "reality reconfiguring itself" effects. The van scene was wonderful, and I hope they do more imaginative stuff like that for the sequel.
I feel that movie should've had more lingering and indulgent shots, more quiet moments to allow the dread to seep in before everything ramped up. I want my cenobites to draw the horror out — but the pacing and editing didn't allow for that.

I actually loved the main character but in general the story and writing was the weakest point. Nothing that couldn't easily be improved on.

I hope this team get to make another entry, 'cause they did a lot of things right.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate streaming services that block other countries, because I'm in the UK I can't watch the new hellraiser because Hulu only works in the US.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Majkol posted:

Werewolf by night manages to have some of the worst cinematography of all of the MCU, somehow worse than even the Avengers? It's quite a feat. Maybe they should have watched those old movies they wanted to pay homage to.

Is it cringe central like most MCU movies

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate streaming services that block other countries, because I'm in the UK I can't watch the new hellraiser because Hulu only works in the US.

Most Hulu exclusives come to Disney+ in the UK fairly shortly after release.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

worms butthole guy posted:

Is it cringe central like most MCU movies

It's not as quippy, there's one excellent Crypt Keeper-like pun near the beginning and they immediately undercut it by having the entity delivering it apologize for it instead of hamming it up even more. Otherwise it's just a boring turd with bad shot composition. I barely finished it and it's like 55 minutes.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Majkol posted:

It's not as quippy, there's one excellent Crypt Keeper-like pun near the beginning and they immediately undercut it by having the entity delivering it apologize for it instead of hamming it up even more. Otherwise it's just a boring turd with bad shot composition. I barely finished it and it's like 55 minutes.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh that's what I was afraid of.

God this trend of quippy lines in movies can die asap. We wat he'd Hocus Pocus 2 last night and that was full of them, right down to having a fat friend of the main character make commentary on everything happening

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

worms butthole guy posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh that's what I was afraid of.

God this trend of quippy lines in movies can die asap. We wat he'd Hocus Pocus 2 last night and that was full of them, right down to having a fat friend of the main character make commentary on everything happening

I did like the first bit with the witches for that moment where the teenagers think they are safe watching them from behind a rock, and have the exchange that proves them very wrong:
"Who are they even performing for?"
Winnifred: "YOU!"
Mary: "You!"
Sarah: "Youu!"

That was a cute bit.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Deadstream ruled thanks for the rec. That directing couple apparently has a segment in VHS 99 so that makes me even more hype!

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
New Hellraiser was good.

New Pinhead loving rules, I like her more than old Pinhead, she's just such a smug loving rear end in a top hat.

"Enough... is a myth."

Also new Cenobite from the end's name is now Grin Man. That's his official name.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

I dug the new Hellraiser I thought it was great. Cenobites were wicked cool. Jamie Clayton did a great job as pinhead.

I do agree the main character is unlikeable and poorly written. I dont think it's the actresses fault but the script. An easy fix would have ben have the likeable brother be the main character and kill off the sister in his place.

Overall v good tho.

The movie was about how addiction destroys everyone around you and she shouldn't really be likable for that reason. Switching the protagonist would change that theme, really.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Nthing the love for Deadstream - the streamer satire was spot on and it was genuinely both funny and scary.
I do wonder how that movie will hold up in, say, ten years... all the more reason to watch it now!

Watched Hellraiser too and unfortunately it did nothing for me. Should have just rewatched the original.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yup, just finished Deadstream, another Nth for it being loving great. It's so rare for a horror-comedy to hit that balance and it totally did. I kinda wanna rewatch it cuz I bet there's some easter eggs in the scrolling chat.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
So happy with the new Hellraiser! It’s good!

Stray observations:

-Cenobite designs were creepy. They wheezing blind one was really scary.
-CGI makeup of Voight’s transformation was make to look like stop-motion, as an homage to the old films, love it!
-making Riley a recovering addict sets her up as a victim of excess, leading the cenobites to mistake her for someone who really really wants “ultimate experience”. She causes a lot of misery to those around her, often without realizing it. Choosing to live with what she’s been through is it’s own kind of hell.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
you've all been worn down by about 10 direct-to-video garbage sequels (though unironically I kinda liked the one about the making of the box that also took place in space for some reason)

that reboot was weak. sex was entirely stripped out of a hellraiser movie which is almost impressive in what a bad choice that is.

the characters were all insufferable, even for a horror movie.

i agree with everyone that says it's a sterilized version of clive barker, which turns out is just a mash up of thirteen ghosts and every slasher film. cenobites aren't slashers!

can we get rid of the protagonist addiction framing device of these modern horror movies? we get it, it's not subtle or a clever metaphor, it's just a trope now.

what a letdown after a ton of hype early reviews.

all that said, i'd rather watch this one then even a second of the cenobite in 3 that shoots CDs at people.
i'm just going to buy the uhd of 1 and 2 whenever that happens and let this franchise go.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I’m really surprised at how many people don’t like the main character in nu hellraiser being a grimy, hosed up dirtbag. that owns.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I love it

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mover posted:

I’m really surprised at how many people don’t like the main character in nu hellraiser being a grimy, hosed up dirtbag. that owns.

Total tragic character that can't stop loving up her life, it's pretty fitting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

zer0spunk posted:

you've all been worn down by about 10 direct-to-video garbage sequels (though unironically I kinda liked the one about the making of the box that also took place in space for some reason)

that reboot was weak. sex was entirely stripped out of a hellraiser movie which is almost impressive in what a bad choice that is.

the characters were all insufferable, even for a horror movie.

i agree with everyone that says it's a sterilized version of clive barker, which turns out is just a mash up of thirteen ghosts and every slasher film. cenobites aren't slashers!

can we get rid of the protagonist addiction framing device of these modern horror movies? we get it, it's not subtle or a clever metaphor, it's just a trope now.

what a letdown after a ton of hype early reviews.

all that said, i'd rather watch this one then even a second of the cenobite in 3 that shoots CDs at people.
i'm just going to buy the uhd of 1 and 2 whenever that happens and let this franchise go.

cool

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Deakul posted:

Total tragic character that can't stop loving up her life, it's pretty fitting.

the first two movies did this 1000x better, without a bad soap opera-level shouting match scene between two characters

just let clive barker make the next one, keep the cenobite actors but maybe make them less plastic looking.
let hellraiser be horny again, the examination of s&m as a fetish but turned up to horror extremes is the only interesting hook to this franchise in the first place

not to be a total downer, i did like when this movie got weird, the few times it happened-

-playing with the set walls, like the van sequence, was a cool throwback to the insanity of the second film
-the making of a cenobite set piece at the very end
-the weird rear end throat pov shots

just get really loving weird with it, stop dipping a toe in

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watched more universal monsters. The Mummy has cool makeup and sets, but is kind of boring. It’s neat seeing how the Brendon Fraser version follows the same plot and what they added.

The Wolfman is probably the most grim and tragic so far, up there with Bride at least. But the leads don’t work as well for me and the wolf man himself looks pretty goofy. Lots of old racism with spooky gypsy magic. All the beatings with the silver cane were pretty brutal deaths.

I also realized all these monster movies invoke relatively rich families. Everyone is always in grand houses and has servants.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Most Hulu exclusives come to Disney+ in the UK fairly shortly after release.

Great, Pinhead is now a Disney princess.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

checkplease posted:

Watched more universal monsters. The Mummy has cool makeup and sets, but is kind of boring. It’s neat seeing how the Brendon Fraser version follows the same plot and what they added.

The Wolfman is probably the most grim and tragic so far, up there with Bride at least. But the leads don’t work as well for me and the wolf man himself looks pretty goofy. Lots of old racism with spooky gypsy magic. All the beatings with the silver cane were pretty brutal deaths.

I also realized all these monster movies invoke relatively rich families. Everyone is always in grand houses and has servants.

Karloff in the mummy makeup is so loving cool but it’s only like one scene in the beginning. It’s a dreadfully dull 73 minute runtime.

I just have an eight pack of the movies so I haven’t gotten into any of the sequels beyond Bride, but honestly most of them I don’t feel like I need to see more of.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jedit posted:

Great, Pinhead is now a Disney princess.

Been saying this

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the little moments in the original Frankenstein like him learning how to smoke from the blind man. :3:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

CD cenobite rules this is slander

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

david_a posted:

Karloff in the mummy makeup is so loving cool but it’s only like one scene in the beginning. It’s a dreadfully dull 73 minute runtime.

I just have an eight pack of the movies so I haven’t gotten into any of the sequels beyond Bride, but honestly most of them I don’t feel like I need to see more of.

If you were bored by the original Mummy, the sequels are probably more of what you’re looking for. They’re all traditional monster movies where the mummy is more of a slasher villain than a tragic figure.

The original Mummy is a weird case of Universal still trying to figure out what a horror movie should be. It’s iconic because of Karloff, but it’s easily the most skippable of the classic Universal monsters.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So I guess Terrifier 2 isn't playing in Canada :negative: Does anyone know what streaming service it will be on (Shudder, I imagine)?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SCREAMBOX, whatever that is

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

So I’m one of the “thrillers are just horror movies for people who don’t admit they like horror movies” kind of people, but I’m curious how far that can get stretched. For instance I feel like Under the Skin counts as horror in my mind.

Basically I’m asking if I can go see Tár and count it as a horror film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Every film ever made is a horror film bc horror is what makes life worth living

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, is Under the Skin not supposed to count as horror or something? I definitely consider that to be a horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

It’s “sci-fi thriller” because it’s too good to be “sci-fi horror”, which would make it schlock. Obviously.