Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you think will win the 2022 MLB World Series?
This poll is closed.
Mariners 32 20.65%
Blue Jays 13 8.39%
Rays 2 1.29%
Guardians 9 5.81%
Yankees 13 8.39%
Astros 12 7.74%
Phillies 10 6.45%
Braves 13 8.39%
Dodgers 22 14.19%
Padres 12 7.74%
Mets 10 6.45%
Cardinals 7 4.52%
Total: 155 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Against all odds, the Padres/Mariners World Series takes another step closer to fruition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DADS DADS DADS DADS

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: :mets:
V: :mets:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

One NY team down, one more to go

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
lol, lmao

https://twitter.com/RichardStaff/status/1579294293415858176

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
That was a tremendous game from Joe, and it owns that a San Diegan helped move the San Diego Padres onto the next stage of the postseason.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

:discourse:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

more falafel please posted:

Let's fuckin' go:
Mariners

Hey, that's fun:
Dodgers
Phillies
Blue Jays
Rays
Padres

Ok, I guess they're not officially super racist anymore:
Guardians

Ugh, fine:
Astros
Mets
Atlanta

gently caress this stupid game:
Yankees
Cardinals

It doesn't make much sense, but I was writing this list without thinking about WC matchups, more just what category of excited I would be if they won it all. So I ranked Rays above Guardians but I rooted for the Guardians. I don't know why, rooting interest for teams that aren't your teams is weird.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Sydin posted:

Yeah Chapman is still a lefty in the 96th percentile of FB velo, if he wants to stay in the game somebody will roll the dice on him.

I've been saying this for a couple years now, but the issue with Chapman's fastball, and as such Chapman in general, is his fastball has zero movement. At 103 you can get away with it, but at 95-97, which is where he lives now, you may as well put it on a tee. When he does dial it up over 100 (and he can get it in the zone, which is not a guarantee), he's unhittable. But as that has gotten more and more rare, he's been getting less and less effective.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Divisional matchups in the postseason are great. Dodgers and Braves are clearly favored, but all the pressure is on them to perform when it counts.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rest in Piss da Mets

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/2008Philz/status/1579294367155916802?s=20&t=Q8GSbzS1AmS99CzXKZiQ8A

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/TVSportsUpdates/status/1579298276511477761?t=zR33dAJdCSYDY_BCfF_gIw&s=19

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

:salt:
:metis:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

awesome wild card round, new tier list let's gooooooo

1. Mariners
2. Guardians
3. Padres
4. Phillies
5. Astros
6. Yankees
7. Dodgers
8. Braves

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

fast cars loose anus posted:

N: Padres/ Mets

V:

Checking his Pa

Paracaidas posted:

Against all odds, the Padres/Mariners World Series takes another step closer to fruition!

Natural rivals!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
goms

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think anyone is going to pay Chapman more than a couple million + incentives so he might be done. He still probably fits in a pen but noone is giving him 10-15million a year unless most of that comes through incentives and I'm not sure he'd sign for that.

They also made a decent point on ESPN tonight that he's going to be absolutely hosed by the pitch clock.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

This owns and he's 100% right you better be absolutely sure the umps find something or you completely deflate your own team when they realize they are just being out played, it just looks desperate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:sickos:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1578583962645319680?s=20&t=RXWIE23mMkKpNvDy_bug3w

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What an incredible weekend of baseball and that was just the Wild Card round.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

This loving owns ahahahahaha

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

What an incredible weekend of baseball and that was just the Wild Card round.

I absolutely hate myself for even typing this but so far the Manfred expanded playoffs are... good???

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/annieheilbrunn/status/1579276631231037440

Gotta love Manny

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

bees x1000 posted:

awesome wild card round, new tier list let's gooooooo

1. Mariners
2. Guardians
3. Padres
4. Phillies
5. Astros
6. Yankees
7. Dodgers
8. Braves

1. Mariners
2-5. Everyone else
6. Astros
7. Yankees
8. Dodgers

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Divisional matchups in the postseason are great. Dodgers and Braves are clearly favored, but all the pressure is on them to perform when it counts.
Big narrative power in this Dodgers Padres series no doubt. The Dodgers swept SD in 2020 but that was in Texas without fans. The crowds this time will be hype. Padres have looked frankly intimidated by the Dodgers a lot in recent years, a postseason upset would really change the psychic imbalance between the two.

I will be interested to see how many Dodgers fans are at the games in San Diego with the ticket sale limits the Padres attempted to impose. I’m going Friday and I expect there are more SD local Dodger fans than the team might expect.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Padres winning without Tatis would only encourage more people to talk about Ewing Theory so we can't have that

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
personally I'm not surprised The Mets are actually bad, just further validation this season's uncrowned true champs are The Cubs

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If the Padres upset the Dodgers they had better go all the way. Gotta maintain the streak of every WS winner since 2016 eliminating the Dodgers on their way to the top.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

there is basically zero pressure on the Braves, honestly even getting swept by the Phillies would just be a shrug of the shoulders and getting ready for next year's mediocre start and scorching hot finish

gotta say I would love a Braves-Padres NLCS, but having a hard time seeing anything other than the Dodgers-Padres winner taking the pennant as well. at the very least there's no way the Braves can get mad about losing to a team that didn't even clear 90 wins

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Braves are easily the hottest team in baseball so I don't get that fatalistic view at all

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Padres went 5-14 or something against the Dodgers

0% chance Padres win the series

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nissin have you ever watched a postseason baseball game before??

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I loving love Manny. He owns so hard.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

bawfuls posted:

I will be interested to see how many Dodgers fans are at the games in San Diego with the ticket sale limits the Padres attempted to impose. I’m going Friday and I expect there are more SD local Dodger fans than the team might expect.

As a Padre fan who was born, raised, and has lived most of his life in San Diego, I can assure you that the team is well aware of how many local Dodger fans there are here. Same thing with fans from every major team because SD attracts a lot of people from other parts of the country and the Padres were very bad for a very, very, very long time.

It sucks, but it is getting better thanks to new ownership and better players.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1579312744465330176

this raises some other questions to be honest.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I got to make 2 DS9 jokes about baseball today :3:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Overwhelmingly likely he cheated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

They were concerned because Musgrove's average spin rate was up by about 5% from his last 5 games of the regular season. Sticky stuff is what raises the spin rate. Slippery stuff is for making the ball rotate less and flutter more. Both are effective in fooling batters by altering the normal course of a baseball. If you're using sticky stuff, there's gonna be residue on your hands and the baseballs, regardless of how much wiping you do. Umps checked him after every inning. Buck checked baseballs and bats himself. Then the umps checked him thoroughly after Buck called him out. Nothing.

The whole thing reeks of desperation. Show me the video evidence of him going to his ear on each pitch. Prove to me that his 5% increase in spin rate is from him using a foreign substance and not just from an adrenaline boost of pitching in the most important game of his career. The evidence isn't there, or if it is, I sure haven't seen it yet. All I saw was a shiny ear to go along with a shiny face. If there was a foreign substance on his ear, it sure looked slippery and not sticky, which would have the opposite effect of what Buck claimed Musgrove was doing.

I bet that if Musgrove pitches in Dodger stadium, we're going to be hearing cheater chants from the crowd. Buck opened a can of worms out of pathetic desperation that might end up unfairly hurting Musgrove's career and the reputation of the sport of baseball as a whole.