Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

FlamingLiberal posted:

What, you didn’t enjoy the episode where Picard and Guinan get arrested and spend the entire episode in a small room the whole time? Which has no impact on anything?

Oh, the one where the cop that was interrogating them had the same name and was played by the same actor as one of the time cops from Voyager, and how everyone was extremely excited that there was finally going to be a big twist in the time travel part of the plot, and then it turned out to be just a fun little wink at the audience with no plot relevance whatsoever?

Great episode, in that I was on the edge of my seat the entire time waiting for the reveal to finally happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wait has anyone said Loriarty yet

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

blastron posted:

Oh, the one where the cop that was interrogating them had the same name and was played by the same actor as one of the time cops from Voyager, and how everyone was extremely excited that there was finally going to be a big twist in the time travel part of the plot, and then it turned out to be just a fun little wink at the audience with no plot relevance whatsoever?

Great episode, in that I was on the edge of my seat the entire time waiting for the reveal to finally happen.

They call that "a love letter to the fans"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He didn't have the same name, he had a name that could have been linked if you were looking for connections but it was just a coincidence.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

xerxus posted:

Daniel Davis ( Moriarty) revealed that he is in (episode count) only one episode, 3x06 in an interview.

https://youtu.be/tafoSZCMbDw

This is honestly what I was expecting. Big Bad probably frees him to distract or try to kill Picard, and they defeat him in the same episode.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

This is honestly what I was expecting. Big Bad probably frees him to distract or try to kill Picard, and they defeat him in the same episode.

You're not thinking convoluted enough. What if lore becomes a good guy but then Moriarty takes over him to take vengeance on Picard?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HD DAD posted:

As lovely as S2 was, Spiner did have a few scenes where he was genuinely terrifying. He plays sociopaths very well.

That is one annoying part of the PIC, S2 especially, I think that the borg lady also did wonderful job with her role, and they all are good actors, working on a piss-poor implementation of the few quite interesting concepts and ideas they had. PatStew is one of the executive producers with veto on everything, so blame goes to show runners, and him.

Its a season-long TNG movie. You watch it once, like maybe few parts of it, but overall go with "well, that was stupid waste of time" and move forward. There is no reason to revisit those episodes, and it doesn't change the overall setup that much.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Moriarty is coming back as a good guy and Picard will tell him they were always friends and hug him before he has to disappear into his holo box

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I want to try hasperat

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alchenar posted:

Moriarty is coming back as a good guy and Picard will tell him they were always friends and hug him before he has to disappear into his holo box
This but Lore

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Alchenar posted:

Moriarty is coming back as a good guy and Picard will tell him they were always friends and hug him before he has to disappear into his holo box literal physical genie bottle

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They are going to use the DNA of Picard's greatest adversaries through history: Moriarty, Sela, Lore, children, Q, Tomalak, to create the ultimate Cobra leader - the dread Serpentor!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

It's me, I am the Picard liker and thought the trailer wasn't bad.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's me, I am the Picard liker and thought the trailer wasn't bad.

I haven't seen a single episode of Picard and that trailer did not make me wish to change that.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Marissa Flores is back, and this time, it's Captain Die-card Day!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

They are going to use the DNA of Picard's greatest adversaries through history: Moriarty, [...]

DNA? Of a hologram?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

DNA? Of a hologram?

And Q. And just generally "children."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fine, QNA.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

MikeJF posted:

He didn't have the same name, he had a name that could have been linked if you were looking for connections but it was just a coincidence.

Oh, you're right, Martin Wells was named after the Wells-class timeship Relativity, and the Voyager character was Lieutenant Ducane. Much less egregious, especially in a show where they keep using the same actors to play different characters that really shouldn't look exactly the same (Soji/Kore, Laris/Tallin, Soong/Soong).

Still a huge tease, though.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Everyone posted:

I haven't seen a single episode of Picard and that trailer did not make me wish to change that.

Well, like I said the PIC seasons are 8 hour TNG movies, or in general like those Kelvin movies; something you might watch once if the opportunity arises and there isn't anything else unwatched ST at hand, but you really aren't any better off by doing so. Only thing I actually think was really unsalvageable was that Space Legolas, he is completely unneeded "I studied blade"-guy from the other scifi, and until today ST didn't have to asspull reasons why space swords are just better.

Its quite like first watching the recommended list of TOS episodes, getting bored, and then watching the other half. And TOS had the excuse of being groundbreaker so they could do hit and miss stuff and it would be unfair to go too harsh against those episodes that ended up being duds.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 11, 2022

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

I want to try hasperat

I imagine it to be a spicy hummus wrap.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Moriarty knew he was duped within a couple hours when he realized that Barclay put him in an early build of No Man’s Sky.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

"Trees Gone, Water Dry.

Soon No Food No Breathable Air.

Maybe The Future We Saw Starts Right Here?"

- Star Trek

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

They're totally going to bring Data back by giving him Lore's body, aren't they

Then he and Picard can talk about the experience of dying and being unexpectedly yoinked back from oblivion and stuffed into a positronic body which was originally built for someone else

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Often Wrong's got a broken heart,
Left room for Spiner to play another part.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

blastron posted:

Oh, you're right, Martin Wells was named after the Wells-class timeship Relativity, and the Voyager character was Lieutenant Ducane. Much less egregious, especially in a show where they keep using the same actors to play different characters that really shouldn't look exactly the same (Soji/Kore, Laris/Tallin, Soong/Soong).

Still a huge tease, though.
It's really sad when fan theories for what a show may do are way more interesting than what the writers actually did

We get this whole flashback wrap-around in that episode for a character who is only in that one episode and has no real bearing on the plot. The show just grinds to a halt for an episode that is entirely filler.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

zoux posted:

They are going to use the DNA of Picard's greatest adversaries through history: Moriarty, Sela, Lore, children, Q, Tomalak, to create the ultimate Cobra leader - the dread Serpentor!

Sound good, I'm in!

CPColin posted:

Often Wrong's got a broken heart,
Left room for Spiner to play another part.

:golfclap:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

blastron posted:

Oh, you're right, Martin Wells was named after the Wells-class timeship Relativity, and the Voyager character was Lieutenant Ducane.

I'm pretty sure they were both named after Orson Wells and Matalas used the actor because he's used him before and likes him.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty sure they were both named after Orson Wells and Matalas used the actor because he's used him before and likes him.

So was Matalas running the show or not?

I know that as an executive producer he probably has say in hiring of actors regardless, but if he likes the actor so much, why would he offer him such a loving thankless role as Special Agent Time Waster?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

HD DAD posted:

I imagine it to be a spicy hummus wrap.

I think that's what the DS9 prop builders said it was. (Either that or cream cheese?)

EDIT: Okay, I'm back, and I just checked Memory Alpha; it's cream cheese with red and green peppers on a rolled flour tortilla.

Snorb fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 12, 2022

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snorb posted:

I think that's what the DS9 prop builders said it was. (Either that or cream cheese?)

EDIT: Okay, I'm back, and I just checked Memory Alpha; it's cream cheese with red and green peppers on a rolled flour tortilla.

in-universe it causes your eyes to water and sears your tongue, and is made with a brine

i'm not gonna lie, cream cheese, hot cherry peppers and maybe roasted red peppers in a tortilla sounds like a pretty bangin' snack

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok, now make that wrap into a soufflé somehow.

EDIT: actually a cheesy pepper soufflé would be great.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yeah what you said lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ashpanash posted:

So was Matalas running the show or not?

I know that as an executive producer he probably has say in hiring of actors regardless, but if he likes the actor so much, why would he offer him such a loving thankless role as Special Agent Time Waster?

He probably wanted to help a few of his friends make some quick and easy money during the height of Covid's bullshit. Same thing with James Callis, another Matalas friend who's in like two episodes and then gone. Though in the latter's case, at least his character was a tiny bit more substantive to the plot than Jay Karnes's was.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

"Is a hasperat a soufflé?" is the 24th century incarnation of "is a hot dog a sandwich?" that curses their internet at regular intervals just like ours

In googling the word I noticed a surprising number of hasperat recipes on the usual recipe sites, which is to say, more than one

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I really wanted to try raktajino but that's the only Klingon food I'd try. Maybe blood wine, if I was in the right mood. But not that loving plate of worms no thank you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Raktajino makes me think of New Orleans style coffee with chicory.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

For some reason I always picture raktajino as a thick boozy dark roast, so maybe coffee with oat milk and a shot of brandy

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I think there was a rugrats where the babies make Stu coffee and it’s got like dirt and worms in it. That’s what I think of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

nine-gear crow posted:

He probably wanted to help a few of his friends make some quick and easy money during the height of Covid's bullshit. Same thing with James Callis, another Matalas friend who's in like two episodes and then gone. Though in the latter's case, at least his character was a tiny bit more substantive to the plot than Jay Karnes's was.

I'll give you that. Plus, James Callis was the only actor I remember from Picard S2 who actually elevated the material with their performance. The few times he was on-screen, it was actually interesting. (I suppose the borg queen did that a bit at first too, but with diminishing returns.) You'd think Patrick Stewart and John DeLancie would be capable of this as well, but alas